• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Prime 59 - The Finale!

ShaneB

Noooooooooooooooooooo :*( Please live on somehow!

Retronauts was one of the first podcasts I listened to, still have memories of moving to the city and listening to the podcast while learning my way around on transit.

Will listen to this and try to keep the emotions in check :)

It's a shame that my play counts have been lost due to my constant, obsessive need to reorganize things, because there was a period of roughly three years where I was listening to Retronauts pretty much 24/7. I can remember classes I took and the routes I took to them based on when I first listened to certain episodes of Retronauts. I remember how I was playing Jade Empire on 360 (funny, considering how this last episode covers how crappy 360 BC was, and I played through all of Jade Empire, KotOR, and KotOR 2 on 360) when Retronauts came back from its first of many deaths ("Like a dog eating its own vomit") to talk about Chrono Trigger and I couldn't have been more excited.

Thank you, Jeremy, Chris, Ray, Sharkey, Jenn, and every one else. Thank you for all that you have taught me, and for all the memories.

Looking at people's favorites, does no one have any "classic" episodes after Shane left and the original ending of episode 100?
I can't recall their numbering off the bat, but there's the PAX East 2010 episode, the Stadium Events/Death in video games episode, Michael Jackson died+E3 2010 recap, the assorted video game movie episodes from last year... I did kinda drop the series after the first 1UPocalypse but I would stick around to see if any interesting topics came up.

I count the recent Evangelion "GAMES, DAMMIT" as a Retronauts btw because Jeremy, Christian and Bob are on there. Weird, I know.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
At some point Retronauts was my favorite podcast. I lost Interest in it after 1up joined with IGN, but the classic episodes are still fantastic.

Thanks a lot Jeremy and co. for the great episodes.

inner-G

Banned
Congrats and thank you Retronauts, for giving us one of the most enjoyable podcasts ever.

The classic Jeremy/Shane/Chris/Ray episodes are my favorites but they're all good.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've listened to the Persona, MGS, FFVII and DraQue ;) episodes.

Thank you.

Suzzopher

Looking at people's favorites, does no one have any "classic" episodes after Shane left and the original ending of episode 100?

I really enjoyed the Punch Out, handheld gaming episodes. Oh and the one where Frank interviewed a load of ex Tengen programmers. In fact the Tengen one is probably the best Retronauts now that I think about it.

-KRS-

Yeah I saw this yesterday. Haven't listened to the whole thing yet. I don't want it to end. :(
But I'll listen to it tonight. The last episode of Retronauts. It feels weird. They made 160 episodes all in all btw. At least if my archive is complete.

Thanks for all the years of great podcasting guys!

I guess there's still the Retrogaming Roundup podcast which I also enjoy, but it's just not the same. :(

The older episodes end up being some of my favourites, but I enjoyed Retronauts throughout its entire run. The only misstep I think were the call-in episodes, which I ended up skipping after listening to the first couple. I just couldn't stand the mishmash of quality, volume, and awkward conversation pacing.

turnbuckle

The older episodes end up being some of my favourites, but I enjoyed Retronauts throughout its entire run. The only misstep I think were the call-in episodes, which I ended up skipping after listening to the first couple. I just couldn't stand the mishmash of quality, volume, and awkward conversation pacing.

same. the constant beeping sound of a call also killed it. not sure if that was always an issue but I only listened to a couple of those episodes before I had to stop. the podcast regained its quality though and lately it's been on about the same level as the original cast. Bob and co were doing an incredible job.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sad that the show's over, but we got so many good episodes out of the thing that I really can't complain. Favorite episodes were:

Saturn
Famicom
1988, 1998
the Radical Dreamers/Chrono Cross episode

But yeah, pretty much any episode with Ray, Chris, or Shane involved was going to be gold.

I also dug the few episodes we got of Retronauts Bonus Stage. All uh... like 6 of 'em.

Anyway, Retronauts was great not just because it played on nostalgia -- it rocked because it introduced me to new stuff that I'd either never heard of, or that I was aware of but had never had the chance to play due to me being a stupid child when it came out. And I guess that also makes Retronauts partially responsible for me spending way too much money on old shit. Probably sounds kinda weird, but the show was something I really looked forward to every couple of weeks back in 'the day.'

Credo

A list of my favorites would be:

11/01/06 - PS1
01/25/07 - Game Music
02/01/07 - History of the Arcade
05/03/07 - Neo Geo
08/23/07 - Survival Horror
10/24/07 - Chrono Trigger
11/01/07 - Mario
01/31/08 - Sega Saturn
02/14/08 - Phantasy Star
03/13/08 - Final Fantasy VII
08/21/08 - Famicom 25th Anniversary
09/04/08 - Sega Dreamcast
10/08/08, 10/15/08, 10/22/08, and 10/29/08 - Sega Genesis Parts 1-4
11/26/08 - Chrono Cross
12/10/08 - Persona
08/04/11 and 08/18/11 - Super Nintendo 20th Anniversary Parts 1 & 2
09/29/11 and 10/06/11 - B-List Japanese RPGs
10/20/11 - Silent Hill
04/26/12 - Working Designs
08/17/12 - The Wizard

and pretty much all the Years in Review podcasts (01/24/08, 01/09/09, 01/07/10, 01/13/11, 01/12/12, and 02/08/13)

Auskeek

I started listening really late, it was during the Super Nintendo anniversary episodes of Retronauts Live.

I've mainly caught up with the older episodes, but I've really enjoyed Bob Mackey as host. The Silent Hill episode remains my favorite. Retronauts, you will be missed.

Lyriell

My favourite podcast ever. I hope you will return one day.

My two fondest memories are the Sachen Huge Insect story and the creepiness of the Sonic call in show.

Great work everyone.

Anyone wanna design a Retronauts patch like the old Activision ones so we can get some made? If we do a bulk order it'll probably be quite cheap.

krae_man

I decided to download the entire catalog. Man 1up's naming convention is terrible. Every episodes name is just the upload date. This is going to take a while.

Goodbye Retronauts. You were a good time.

I decided to download the entire catalog. Man 1up's naming convention is terrible. Every episodes name is just the upload date. This is going to take a while.
Just wait until you start getting the errors. Ugh. Took me all night to download those suckers.

I renamed them as well. In order to keep them in order, I just put a number in front of the dates (their titles) and kept each year in their own folder. Episode 1, for example I renamed: 01 100406. When they became Retronauts Live, I renamed them according to their episode description. RL 01-etc etc. It became a thing.

Didn't even get to 60. :(
Oh there's much more than 60 episodes. That's is just episode 59 of the renamed Retronauts Live show. Original Retronauts goes back to 2006 which had 99 episodes. All in all there are roughly 160 Retronauts episodes, depending whether you count a couple of the oddly titled mini-shows or "one-offs," as I believe they were referred to as.

I know way too much about Retronauts.

Prophane33

I've been listening since the beginning and have a lot of significant memories associated to listening to Retronauts. I haven't finished listening to the last one yet, but of course the day it comes out was the day I got accepted to my top choice of grad school, so I have yet another memory attached to Retronauts. I still have 8-4 and the Bombcast, but maybe I'll throw in some old Retronauts for my walk to school this Fall as I experience not only a new place across the country (where I'm going to see snow for the first time), but a world where the Retronauts podcast no longer exists.

My favourite podcast ever. I hope you will return one day.

My two fondest memories are the Sachen Huge Insect story and the creepiness of the Sonic call in show.

Great work everyone.

Huge Insect story is the stuff of legends; The Sonic episode was definitely where it became obvious that the call-in format was pretty lame. I'm so surprised that they were able to keep it together and/or treat some of those callers with a modicum of respect.

krae_man

I picked a random episode to listen to while downloading them all.

Random Shane quote: "I love lesbian frogs" :lol

Also Chris Kohler got his wish when he said he wanted Bio Force Ape to be released.

There is absolutely no way I can peg a single favorite episode or moment from Retronauts. I've been a huge fan of the show since it first started, and have loved it the entire journey along the way.

Thanks for the great times Jeremy, Chris, Ray, Skip, and every other scallywag who has appeared on the show.

Oh 1up.... :'(

The Street Fighter episode has always been near and dear to my heart.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone wanna design a Retronauts patch like the old Activision ones so we can get some made? If we do a bulk order it'll probably be quite cheap.

I feel like this already happened back at the height of 1up.

Or that might have been Squadron of Shame... I can't remember.

Quackula

The call-in episodes got much better once they figured out how to make the background beep stop.

I'll miss the show, hopefully they figure out a way to continue it somehow.

awa64

Banned
I will super-miss Retronauts. I may have to re-listen to the archive now--at least that'll take a while.

Here's hoping for Mackey, Kohler, Parrish and anyone else they can get announcing the inaugural episode of Nostalgiafarers.

Halcyon Voyagers.

Awesome People Talk About Old Games.

The Podcast With A Name Legally Distinct From Retronauts.

wondermega

I've been listening for years but as with so many podcasts, I take it for granted that "they'll always be there forever (online somewhere) so no sense to save them when I am done." Now that I know this show is done/might disappear into the ether, I am going to grab all the ep's and save them for posterity. Excellent show and I hope it can continue on in some fashion; thanks for the memories guys!

The call-in episodes got much better once they figured out how to make the background beep stop.

I'll miss the show, hopefully they figure out a way to continue it somehow.

Maybe I'll listen to them, but in general, I hate listener call-ins to radio shows and podcasts with a passion. They're usually idiots with poorly thought out ideas, stupid questions, or no question at all, and just want to hear the hosts to tell them they're right.

They're basically a bad forum where I have to listen to the posts read by awkward people in poor audio quality.

Maybe I'll listen to them, but in general, I hate listener call-ins to radio shows and podcasts with a passion. They're usually idiots with poorly thought out ideas, stupid questions, or no question at all, and just want to hear the hosts to tell them they're right.

They're basically a bad forum where I have to listen to the posts read by awkward people in poor audio quality.

You absolutely need to listen to the Sonic episode then.

Balb

Sad Sharkey didn't appear on the last episode. He was as important to the show as anyone. Shane too.

The 16-bit Mario game episode was a sequel to the 8-bit Mario episode and has the classic feel of the older episodes. The Turbo Grafx episode also had the classic feel, though I don't know if that was before episode 100 (it definitely came after Shane left).

The Star Fox episode was hilarious, mainly because of Brian Altano's hatred of Star Fox Adventures.

Sad Sharkey didn't appear on the last episode. He was as important to the show as anyone. Shane too.

Sharkey was always my favorite. Shane, I can understand not being there for several reasons, but Sharkey not being there was a real bummer to me.

You absolutely need to listen to the Sonic episode then.

I need to listen to it to see how wrong I am, or because it's exactly everything I hate? I'm reading the episode descriptions to find it right now...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Archivists...

dShm6WF.jpg

ZOMG torrent pls ;) Would be very appreciated!!

I need to listen to it to see how wrong I am, or because it's exactly everything I hate? I'm reading the episode descriptions to find it right now...

I`m pretty sure it was everything you hate. I don`t remember it being good at all.

Read the description and I think you'll know. It is glorious.

"It's the most awkward episode of Retronauts ever as Jeremy Parish, Ryan Winterhalter, Ray Barnholt, and Sam Claiborn talk about Sonic the Hedgehog's anniversary with a bunch of people who are completely unfamiliar with Retronauts, and podcasts in general!"

WHAT WERE YOU TRYING TO DO TO ME???

Also, going through the episode descriptions, it seems the episode guide I once planned on making for Retronauts could have been very useful. A lot of them don't get to the topic before reaching the character limit in iTunes.

"It's the most awkward episode of Retronauts ever as Jeremy Parish, Ryan Winterhalter, Ray Barnholt, and Sam Claiborn talk about Sonic the Hedgehog's anniversary with a bunch of people who are completely unfamiliar with Retronauts, and podcasts in general!"

WHAT WERE YOU TRYING TO DO TO ME???

Exposure therapy. Listen to that and any call-in afterwards will seem so much better by comparison.

I'm tempted, but frightened. I'm not the most patient or accepting person in the world.

Let me give you a preview: at one point the caller asks the hosts if they have any questions for him. There's also another caller who awkwardly tries to put their kid on the line. It's a magical work of unintentional comedy.

Let me give you a preview: at one point the caller asks the hosts if they have any questions for him. There's also another caller who awkwardly tries to put their kid on the line. It's a magical work of unintentional comedy.

OK, that sounds pretty good...

And almost exactly what I expected once you said "Sonic episode". Poor Sonic community.

Lyriell

Huge Insect story is the stuff of legends; The Sonic episode was definitely where it became obvious that the call-in format was pretty lame. I'm so surprised that they were able to keep it together and/or treat some of those callers with a modicum of respect.

"NO PRODUCE, NO PRODUCE!!!'

Top Bottom