• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Prime 59 - The Finale!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
On this all-too-soon finale of 1UP's Retronauts, we forego the sappy goodbyes and instead concentrate on what we've done best in these past seven years: complain incessantly about Virtual Console. Join Bob Mackey, Jeremy Parish, Chris Kohler, and Ray Barnholt as they look back on the wonders and blunders this recent generation has brought to classic gaming, and mull over what the future will hold for retro games on shiny new consoles. Thanks for your support over the years!

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/Retronauts/R031513.mp3

Thanks for all the years of podcasts!

(I still remember the Jenn Frank Atari story from all those years ago!)

massoluk

Banned
Man, at least Chris Kohler and Jeremy Parish made the final episode. I was kinda hoping for the full Retro gang.

;_;7

I'll miss you Retronauts, you were one of the first podcasts I listened to, and still one of my favourites. I learned a lot from those early episodes, and I hate to see ya go, but it's been a great ride.

Wish Sharkey and Jenn could've made an appearance.

Tadale

There's definitely still room for a retro gaming podcast like Retronauts. Some of the best episodes were after Mackey came along – here's hoping those guys aren't done for good.

skip

I loved all of my podcast children, but retronauts was secretly my favorite.

take a bow, mr. parish and friends.

Tadale

I loved all of my podcast children, but retronauts was secretly my favorite.

take a bow, mr. parish and friends.

Oh, shit. Looks like you picked wisely – it outlasted the others by a good 4 years.

I'll be at the PAX panel this year to pour one out.

Oxx

It has been quite a while since I last listened to an episode, but I can't say no to that retro Retronauts lineup.

Credo

Thank you Jeremy, Ray, Sharkey, Chris, Shane, Jenn, and so many others who made the first run of Retronauts so enjoyable for me, and thank you, Bob, for taking over from Jeremy and continuing the podcast for as long as you have. It's my favorite podcast, and I still go back to listen to the old episodes very often. I really appreciate all the hours you put into creating it for us!

Tadale

Can't wait for them to do a Call of Duty episode.

The first game came out in 2003 – that's ten years ago. In 2006, I'm pretty sure they were doing episodes on games that came out in 1996.

I'll be bringing my boxed copy of the original CoD to the retrogames roadshow.

Ohnonono

Thank you Jeremy, Ray, Sharkey, Chris, Shane, Jenn, and so many others who made the first run of Retronauts so enjoyable for me, and thank you, Bob, for taking over from Jeremy and continuing the podcast for as long as you have. It's my favorite podcast, and I still go back to listen to the old episodes very often. I really appreciate all the hours you put into creating it for us!

Totally my most re-listened to podcast. Every time I fire up an old game I listen to the corresponding retronauts if it exists.

Yep, Retronauts is always great to go back to, because of the subject matter a lot of it ends up being timeless to listen to.

turnbuckle

This podcast has had several deaths or supposed last episodes but this one is probably finally it, huh. :(

Of all my favorite podcasts over the years, the ending of this one probably cuts the deepest. It's been going for awhile now and it's pretty awesome to listen to old episodes and feel nostalgic about a podcast that's made for people who love waxing nostalgic. As someone said already, games that don't feel seem so retro now are sometimes older than the games that were being discussed on retronauts. Halo's nearly 12 years old; when retronauts started (Oct 2006) Chrono Trigger was roughly the same age.

:(

Nooooo!

I thought they would maybe keep Retronauts alive through IGN or something.

Really sad to see it go, though the last 6 months they put out very few episodes. Still so much to talk about :(

So has Mackey ended up anywhere yet?

Edit: Looks like he's looking for work still.

Thank you, Retronauts. You were the eminently re-listenable podcast that I had as the backdrop to random goings-on in my life as I learned about games that I never played and learned MORE about stuff that I had played. My favorite episodes are

Game Music (My introduction to the works of so many composers and renewed appreciation for Uematsu's work)
Survival Horror (Mofo's FULL of Ghosts!!)
Chrono Trigger (Inspired me to check out the Brink of Time album)
Atari (Jenn Frank's best appearance)
Street Fighter (Greg Ford's story about Ernie Honda)
Sega Saturn (The secret most innovative console)
Phantasy Star (The secretly most innovative and influential JRPG series)
Final Fantasy VII (Upheaval on what I knew of FFVII)
Metal Gear Solid (I remember wanting to go "WTF JEREMY YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT ALL THE BOSSES OF MGS2")
Space Invaders/Taito (Awesome tribute to Taito)
Famicom 25th Anniversary (So freakin' informative and great to look back at history in another perspective)
Bionic Commando (Loved Jeremy's enthusiasm about the series and Hitler's head exploding)
Tomb Raider (The only Retronauts that Nick Suttner and Garnett Lee were in)
Wasteland/Fallout (The only Retronauts that Thierry Nguyen and Matt Chandronait were in, and one of the listener questions about "A Boy and His Dog" where they mentioned Sharkey after he had just exclaimed "Huh" was hilarious)
Radical Dreamers/Chrono Cross ("BUT YOU SOUND EXACTLY LIKE ANDREW FITCH" and very fascinating to hear about the mood around Chrono Cross back then)
Megami Tensei/Persona (Nich Maragos was a cool guest, introduced me to the song Heartful Cry from P3Fes)
Mother/Earthbound (Shortly after the first 1UPocalypse, was glad to see this episode still happen)
Chat about that Stadium Events auction and Death in Games (Great low-keyish chat about all sorts of recent events at the time)
Ray Barnholt's thing about CSPAN

The rest kinda blur from here but the game movie-themed episodes stick out to me in recent memory. I can always listen to these episodes again and again and have no problem with em. Thanks for all the memories and stuff.

- J - D -

Wow, another legendary podcast comes to an end. Thanks for the memories, 1up Retronauts crew!

My favorite episodes are still the Saturn episode,survivial horror episode and the one where Shane explodes when Jeremy makes a crack at Roberta Williams.

so so so sad. but at least we get one more episode....I'm bummed I have to wait until I'm home to listen. happy to hear Jeremy in studio too....

if any of the Retronauts crew is reading please know that I really have loved and appreciated all your work over the last several years, in all your forms. I wish you all the best in the future, and may there be a coming together at a con or the like of Retronauts again!

Thank you, Retronauts. You were the eminently re-listenable podcast that I had as the backdrop to random goings-on in my life as I learned about games that I never played and learned MORE about stuff that I had played. My favorite episodes are

Game Music (My introduction to the works of so many composers and renewed appreciation for Uematsu's work)
Survival Horror (Mofo's FULL of Ghosts!!)
Chrono Trigger (Inspired me to check out the Brink of Time album)
Atari (Jenn Frank's best appearance)
Street Fighter (Greg Ford's story about Ernie Honda)
Sega Saturn (The secret most innovative console)
Phantasy Star (The secretly most innovative and influential JRPG series)
Final Fantasy VII (Upheaval on what I knew of FFVII)
Metal Gear Solid (I remember wanting to go "WTF JEREMY YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT ALL THE BOSSES OF MGS2")
Space Invaders/Taito (Awesome tribute to Taito)
Famicom 25th Anniversary (So freakin' informative and great to look back at history in another perspective)
Bionic Commando (Loved Jeremy's enthusiasm about the series and Hitler's head exploding)
Tomb Raider (The only Retronauts that Nick Suttner and Garnett Lee were in)
Wasteland/Fallout (The only Retronauts that Thierry Nguyen and Matt Chandronait were in, and one of the listener questions about "A Boy and His Dog" where they mentioned Sharkey after he had just exclaimed "Huh" was hilarious)
Radical Dreamers/Chrono Cross ("BUT YOU SOUND EXACTLY LIKE ANDREW FITCH" and very fascinating to hear about the mood around Chrono Cross back then)
Megami Tensei/Persona (Nich Maragos was a cool guest, introduced me to the song Heartful Cry from P3Fes)
Mother/Earthbound (Shortly after the first 1UPocalypse, was glad to see this episode still happen)
Chat about that Stadium Events auction and Death in Games (Great low-keyish chat about all sorts of recent events at the time)
Ray Barnholt's thing about CSPAN

The rest kinda blur from here but the game movie-themed episodes stick out to me in recent memory. I can always listen to these episodes again and again and have no problem with em. Thanks for all the memories and stuff.
Pretty much listed every episode I loved:

Special Mention for :

Sega Saturn episode, Survival Horror and the Phantasy Star episode...

These episodes are legendary, I listen to them at least 4-5 times a year and they are still awesome ;)
I would have liked to have heard sharkey on that last episode... Hmmm. Folks Like Shane, James Mielke, Jenn Frank, Sharkey, Frank Cifaldi, Chris Kohler, Ray and jeremy made this show very special to me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why does it have to die?

God bless you all! Jenn, Jeremy, Chris, ray, frank, sharkey, Shane, bob, anyone who ever appeared...thanks for caring about old games when everyone else is laser focused on dudebroness. The nights I spent listening to these podcasts...

krae_man

My favorite episode was probably the "Every handheld not made by Nintendo" one since I collect handhelds. That's how I became aware of the Epoch Game Pocket Computer.

Duster

You know when you're watching a sports show and the presenter clearly isn't familiar with your team or the more obscure rules?
Or a TV show where the interviewer doesn't even know the most basic things about the person they're talking to?
Or perhaps it's a documentary that's been dumbed down to a ridiculous degree so stupid people can understand it?

Well even if it's often understandable I find it annoying when presenters seem to know less about the subject they're talking about than I do.

I never once got that feeling listening to Retronauts, they had some of the most knowledgeable presenters I've ever listened to and I must have learned several new things every episode. I'll miss them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So bittersweet.... Probably my favorite podcast of all time. Goodnight ;_;

I really hope those involved can do a successor somewhere, somehow, even as a hobby.

MASB

Thanks for all the memories and info!

And thanks to a Retronauts PAX East panel, Chris Kohler made me aware of Radio Free Nintendo, which has had a ton of memorable moments itself!

Jenn's story in the Atari episode will probably be the segment that truly stands the test of time as far as Retronaut's history goes. Kohler's sometimes over-the-top sniping at Sega made for some funny moments as well. And who can forget the glory days of the Virtual Console and the comments on its eventual gridning to a virtual standstill.

And Bob Mackey did a great job of taking over the podcast and making it not seem second-rate. Really gave the podcast a second wind of quality.

Thanks for all the memories and info!

And thanks to a Retronauts PAX East panel, Chris Kohler made me aware of Radio Free Nintendo, which has had a ton of memorable moments itself!

Jenn's story in the Atari episode will probably be the segment that truly stands the test of time as far as Retronaut's history goes. Kohler's sometimes over-the-top sniping at Sega made for some funny moments as well. And who can forget the glory days of the Virtual Console and the comments on its eventual gridning to a virtual standstill.

And Bob Mackey did a great job of taking over the podcast and making it not seem second-rate. Really gave the podcast a second wind of quality.

Oh crap, speaking of PAX East, was so glad I made it to the first PAX East and attended the Retronauts panel there. Definitely another favorite episode there!

Some quick DSi photos from PAX East 2010!

That's me in the center said:
739CQe9.jpg
Shortly before the panel kicked off said:

My cell phone back then was a Samsung Glyde with an even worse camera than the DSi, so yeah...

I remember Kathleen Sanders' anecdote in the Survival Horror episode where she mentioned playing System Shock 2, and her mom whispered into her ear while she was playing with headphones on and thought the game somehow knew her name.

OH MY GOD HOW DID I FORGET TO MENTION THE DAMN EPISODE WHERE THEY TALK ABOUT SUPER MARIO BROS.?! IT'S RIGHT AFTER THE CHRONO TRIGGER EPISODE, HOW DID I MISS THAT? That was an outstanding episode, too!!

Scott Sharkey's memory of his nightmare where he was in a room with no windows or doors and was panicking because the room was filling up with all the types of Mario and he needed to find a way out because
Ron Jeremy from Super Hornyo Brothers was on his way!!
XD

Forgot this still was going on, :(. Will listen for sure. I loved it when they went into genres/games that I never got into or was exposed to (Especially the adventure games episode).

Suzzopher

So sad this is over for good now. Retronauts was always my favourite podcast. I regularly listen to old episodes whilst out running.

My favourites are:
The Saturn
Phantasy Star
Famicom
8-bit Mario
Atari 2600
Dreamcast
1988, 1998

Thanks for the memories guys.

Jarnet87

So sad this is over for good now. Retronauts was always my favourite podcast. I regularly listen to old episodes whilst out running.

My favourites are:
The Saturn
Phantasy Star
Famicom
8-bit Mario
Atari 2600
Dreamcast
1988, 1998

Thanks for the memories guys.

Saturn, Dreamcast, 1988/98 are some of the very best. What is Jeremy doing at IGN? I hope he gets to do a podcast or show or something and doesn't just disappear.

Top Bottom