• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 Guys 1UP: 03/19/2010

Zeliard

Dr Bad Dude PHD said:
I'm not a God of War kind of guy, but really Jeremy Parish? A Teen Angst story? This coming from the guy who plays JRPG's all day?

I found this amusing as well. Talk about throwing stones in a glass house. And I'm someone who likes Final Fantasy in general a lot more than God of War.

seady

Yeah Jeremy is awesome on the things he is into. He is master at the things he like.
But when doing a general podcast like this, it forces him to be broad and be enthusiastic about everything out there, which is really not him.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
As much as I cannot get enough Jeremy, hearing him say he would have to leave ATB and Retronauts made me sad. It's like do I want to have cheesecake or do I want to have cannolis. I can't decide, but I know I want one of them.

Quasar

seady said:
But when doing a general podcast like this, it forces him to be broad and be enthusiastic about everything out there, which is really not him.

Not really. He can just direct traffic as it were. Get people on for games that need discussing as he did in this episode.

I quite liked this episode. Would have loved the interview with Cage and Stig to have been a lot longer.

One thing I do hope is that they don't abandon Davids attempt to get more industry people on the show. I liked that direction of the show.

Calcaneus

Y2Kev said:
As much as I cannot get enough Jeremy, hearing him say he would have to leave ATB and Retronauts made me sad. It's like do I want to have cheesecake or do I want to have cannolis. I can't decide, but I know I want one of them.
He would have to leave those two shows to do this? That kinda sucks. I would rather have those two than another general podcast.

JWong

Banned
EXGN said:
I like Parish, but those first 20 minutes were brutal.

"I really hate God of War."
"That's cool, you're entitled to your own opinion."
"No, but I REALLY HATE."
"Yeah, I could see that, that's cool."

Like pulling teeth.
He did that to World of Warcraft, and that's why I hate him.

If he thinks he knows RPGs, then why is he ignoring the RPG that's changing the landscape?

eznark

Banned
Listened to the segment before the interviews, surprisingly good. Parish nails my feelings on God of War except that I kind of liked it the first time. After the PSP one and about half of the second one, I get it. I'll eventually play III but I'm not in a rush. I like that he didn't feel the need to reserve judgement just because it's a AAA title.

Also, it seems like the only time Matt Leone is on a podcast is to talk about God of War, so he's kind of typecasting himself. Seems off to complain about it.

No_Style

Yeah, they really lost the personalities to do a "general podcast" with. Kudos to T-Frog for trying, but I hope he doesn't give up ATB/Retronauts for something like this. I'd like to see him play to his strengths.

spate

Neo Member
Hm, not sure if this is enough to draw me back. Ever since I discovered the Mobcast, my interest in this one has waned..

Barrett2

Well, that was horrible. The first 30 minutes were excrutiating. Jeremy asks a question about GOW3, and gets barely any response from the panel, the people who are ostensibly there to discuss the game.

Y2Kev said:

I'd take cannoli over cheesecake any day. :D

But I agree with your sentiment. Retronauts is my favorite gaming podcast. As much as I'd hate to see it and ATB handed off to someone else, I really can't think of who else at 1up would be suitable to take over the Friday podcast.

Beyond some awkward pauses, this first episode went really well. I do hope we get a name change and format change. As much as I appreciate David trying to mix it up, his format never clicked with me. That probably has more to do with me wanting what is familiar than anything else.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow.......

I'm not even through the god of war opening bit and this is terrible.

I love Jeremy, and I don't even like GOW in the least. But this sure isn't the way to conduct a flagship podcast at all, how many times did Jeremy have to keep repeating that he wasn't into the game? Maybe his heart's not set on continuing to host and this his way of deflecting, I dunno.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Xater said:
All I'm gonna say about this is: Thank god for Garnetts glorious return!

This.

The new 4guys1up podcast was terrible, how many times do we need to know Parish was not into GOW3? And the sad part was he is the host, he should be directing the tone of the podcast.

Everyone should listen and/or watch Feedback with Adam Sessler, this week they have a god of war 3 show, should be much better than the Parish podcast of last week.

this feels like when Jeffrey, Pippen and Rodman all left the 90s Bulls and all you had left was Toni Kukoc. A nice player, but not good enough to be the star of the show.

Shurs

Ninja Scooter said:
this feels like when Jeffrey, Pippen and Rodman all left the 90s Bulls and all you had left was Toni Kukoc. A nice player, but not good enough to be the star of the show.

In fairness, the same thing could've been said after Garnett left.

tino

Banned
Shurs said:
In fairness, the same thing could've been said after Garnett left.

I think you didn't give David Ellis enough credit. He was a surprising good voice for the podcast. For one thing changing from ListenUp to 4guys1up was a good idea. It loosened up him and other participants.

Shurs

I have no problem with Ellis, though I never thought he really had anything interesting to add to the conversation. Also, 4guys bored me most of the time. Garnett's interjection at the end of David's final episode really brought to light what was missing from the Ellis helmed podcast. It was missing personality. I never found Ellis knowledgeable, funny or insightful. He wasn't offensive. He was, kind of just, there.

Cronox

Banned
Not liking how at the start Parish said something to the effect of "we're not energetic guys that are going to get into debates or argue with each other."

While I appreciate the honesty, it's like they don't want me to listen.

Ataturk

The developer talk was good, always interesting, but the God of War talk was just a waste of time. Also I couldn't care less about Pokemon.

Maybe next week they'll be talking about games that provoke a better discussion, otherwise, I'm out.

GhaleonQ

I don't get the harshness of the criticisms *skipped David Cage segment because he's awful*. It was sluggish, but hardly dead. *shrugs*

Anyway, Jeremy should rephrase his (easy) criticism of, say, God Of War in a positive light since too many gamers dislike aggressively negative opinions. Something like, "So, what does God Of War 3 have to offer someone like me, who's vaguely embarrassed by the series' existence?" would do much to spark discussion, even though the answer's, "Absolutely nothing." Also, the others on board should actually contribute, especially since they're great at it.

Edit: And, of course, I'd rather have Jeremy do Active Time Babble and Retronauts than this.

GhaleonQ

Apparently, Jeremy's officially moved on and they've exhausted their saved content, so there will be 3 trial hosts with 3 different formats during 3 successive weeks.

1. Ray
2. Frank
3. Alice

*cough, pick Ray, cough*

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
moved on from the podcast, moved on from 1up or deceased?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I've moved on, I supported 1up for as long as I could but they are just a shell of it's former self these days, I still listen to Active Time Babble for Kat's take on the RPG genre but that's about it, the talent pool is drying up over there seriously.

No_Style

I still listen to their Friday podcasts. It's kinda cringe worthy sometimes, but it also has its moments of intrigue.

They need to find someone who has genuine interest in doing the show and someone with energy. I can't think of anyone who'll fill that role though.

eznark

Banned
Rez said:
moved on from the podcast, moved on from 1up or deceased?
I listened to the start of this weeks swhow (then the Apple Defense Force showed up and I turned it off) and Jeremy said he was going back to RPG and old game podcasts.

I think that means he died?

GhaleonQ

eznark said:
I think that means he died?

Died and gone to heaven?

Yeah, he's just back to his Thursday podcasts.

No_Style said:
in doing the show and someone with energy. I can't think of anyone who'll fill that role though.

Ray! I mean, that isn't always a good quality. Mike Cruz turns every other At 1-Up to "The Oppress People With My Awful Taste In Everything Hour," but he's hyper. And, really, it's not the quality of people (I'm biased, I guess), but the dwindling number of full-time employees.

lljride

Figured this was coming I guess. I held on listening even the last few weeks, and I'll give the new show(s) a try, but I'm not expecting much. Don't mean any offense to the new hosts though.

Top Bottom