• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up Yours - 09/26/2008

kassatsu

Banned
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://download.gamevideos.com/Podcasts/1UY092608.mp3

John, Shane, Shawn, and Garnett tackle Four Minute Warning for a perfect second segment to mark Shawn's final 1UP podcast. And we've got BIA: Hell's Highway, Bikes in Burnout Paradise, and we even mix in a little contemplation of whether games will ever have their equivalent of an Igor Stravinsky.

Time: 2hr28min
Hosts: Shane, Garnett, John, Shawn
Size: 65.4mb

Preshow: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21691

Dot50Cal

Banned
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue! Glad I made myself late for work. Now I have something to entertain me at least :D

Dommel

Glad I checked one more time just before I leave after feverishly refreshing GAF to see if this thread would pop up.

Weekend confirmed!

And a 3 hour drive will seem like 30 minutes now, thanks guys!

Sean

Banned
Not showing up in iTunes for me, have refreshed several times too..

Rlan said:
RE: Preshow.

So you guys were invited to a Ubisoft drink up? Is the ban over now?

After Shoe and Crispin quit, Ubi is cool with them now.

Guled

Sean said:
Not showing up in iTunes for me, have refreshed several times too..

After Shoe and Crispin quit, Ubi is cool with them now.
what was the problem between Ubi and 1up?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shawn, I don't know if you've seen I Wanna Be the Guy, but I think it's exactly the game you're talking about.

I think of it as an anti-platformer in that it's very difficulty is to fuck with your expectations of a platforming game AND with the game's own internal logic. It's so difficult that most people never get past the second screen.

I'm only an hour into the podcast but I know I'm already going to miss these discussions. I'm sure they exist on the web in written form, but I can't imagine something like this coming up in a future podcast.

Dot50Cal

Banned
OP, I dl'ed an incomplete podcast

Butthurt_baller.gif

:*(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I actually feel sad. I mean I listened to the final GFW and and all, but there's something about the definate finality of this that affected me. The line "that's it, after this I'm walking out of here" did it.

Good luck Shawn, all the best. You're an asset to this industry.

Banned
:lol

I like how you screw with us in the middle. I was totally expecting it after that discussion but it was good anyway.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
65536 said:
:lol

I like how you screw with us in the middle. I was totally expecting it after that discussion but it was good anyway.
I figured that was just a mistake Garnett made during the post-production.

:lol :lol :lol if true though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
On another note, the book sounded fascinating. I'm interested to see how the author applies it to other scenarioes and where he goes with it. Incidentally as a classical pianist (urgh that sounds so pompous) I've heard Stravinsky-related stories before, but hearing someone like Shawn recount them is great, he tells stories remarkably well.

The book was "Proust Was a Neuroscientist", by: Jonah Lehrer by the way. I'm going to pick it up, I've been meaning to get something new to read for a while now. I wish Shawn had mentioned again at the end what the title was, I had to skip back to find it. :lol

No_Style

Just starting it, but Shawn teases once again with how 1UP Yours could have been like if he was part of the regular line up! =/

Some of the best discussions in a long time in this podcast.

Particularly interesting was the discussion about the question if games always need to get harder towards the end. I agree with Shawn and Garnett on this point, that for many games it might be more interesting to do or show a lot of different things, rather than just making the same thing harder. And another problem with games that only get harder is that when you take them up again after not having played them for a while, they are almost impossible to continue.

StuBurns

Banned
Best of luck Shawn, hopefully you can get in on the podcasts for the studio's next project, I know they did a series of them for BioShock.

Kabuki Waq said:
their Assasins Creed review was too honest.

I thought it was their preview that was too honest. It must be over now, Shawn has Far Cry 2.

No_Style

What was the book Shawn was talking about? Sounds interesting.

Edit: Nvm. Proust Was a Neuroscientist was the name of it.

No_Style said:
What was the book Shawn was talking about? Sounds interesting.

Edit: Nvm. Proust Was a Neuroscientist was the name of it.
All that talk was making me think about Karoshi 2.0, each level is about screwing with the players expectations of how the game works by flipping it on its head.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=369491

If you haven't played it already, do it. One of the best games ever made (and it's free).

Snipes424

I am a little surprised that there were no mention of the new Resistance 2 footage. Unless I missed it somehow...

Hopefully they will talk about it next week.

Top Bottom