• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up Yours - 09/26/2008

h3ro

FartOfWar said:
Thanks again. GAF was great to me.

You're not gonna post here anymore???

Plenty of guys in dev post here (you practically trip over Insomniac and Bungie guys on GAF), come on man.

traveler

Not Wario
The Proust book sounds a lot like the works of Oliver Sacks. I'm a huge fan of The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat- do you think I'd get a lot out of it?

I hope Shawn starts a new blog that is more frequent than the updates on his 1up one. I still think that some of the most interesting reads on games are contained on that blog.

And the podcast was great, but 4 minute warning was a bit lacking.

I know they mentioned Metal Gear during the 'Proust...' discussion but MGS2 was almost entirely that kind of game. Fortune's boss battle, the RAY fight, Raiden, Campbell... just the whole game. Kojima is definitely riding the crest of the wave SHawn's still looking for. As a response to the original MGS, defiance of expectations was almost MGS2's mantra. It was certainly frustrating in the way it robbed players of the resolution they desperately sought.

voltron

Pretty sure he just means he wont be as visible any more, so GAF will have nothing to appreciate on a weekly basis.

The blog and twitter feed will still be going.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
No_Style said:
Just starting it, but Shawn teases once again with how 1UP Yours could have been like if he was part of the regular line up! =/
I know. :l The only reason to listen anymore is John Davison.

sun-drop

did they skip shane's what ya been playing? ... cause they are at the q&A part and no one's talked about wipEout yet .. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DjangoReinhardt said:
I know. :l The only reason to listen anymore is John Davison.
Note to Skip and other 1up podcasters: THIS GUY IS NOT THE MAJORITY

Please continue fantastic podcasts. This week was one of the best 1up Yours episodes in a while.

bathala

Banned
Shane forgetting wat X-men 1 and Spiderman did on the rejuvenation of Comic to movie.
wat led to TDK is from this 1st two movies after the abysmal Batman Forever. At least Garnet reminded him about Spiderman.
I do agree that the new marvel movies are nothing to remember about like TDK that is why i'm not buying any Bluray version, but TDK...

Mindlog

Blu-Ray alone isn't going to cut it for me.

I need TDK Blu-Max. The official cut for Home Theater IMAX presentations.

Anything less than comfortable full field of vision coverage is an injustice.

Kinda an uneventful podcast this week. Anyways, sucks to see GFW crew bounce, great times though. Wonder if they'll ever be a reunion podcast with all five guys again.

You guys mentioned MGO, and from a lover of the first MGO I have to agree that MGO in MGS4 is pretty much a mess.

dr3upmushroom said:
You guys mentioned MGO, and from a lover of the first MGO I have to agree that MGO in MGS4 is pretty much a mess.
Honestly, my only complaints are the skill system and lack of maps. The skill system bothers me because it alienates a lot of players from trying other setups besides the usual assault rifle/movement one because of the ridiculous amount of time you need to put in to hit level 3. I got my knife and CQC to 3 after playing forever and a day, and after all that work it didn't seem like it was a good implementation. Once we see more than a handful of maps after more packs come out, I'll likely start playing again, though.

Great show, although I admit the first 15 minutes were a struggle (the power pad knockoff and subsequent Super Sluggers discussion (yes, we get it, the game has a quest mode, it's not that outrageous)).

About the Halo 3 content, that sounds great to me. I just got done watching the 1up Show about how awesome the new Resistance 4 player campaign is going to be, if they can do a DLC expansion pack that adds that experience into a new chapter in the Halo universe, sign me up. Good thing I didn't trade in my copy of Halo 3.
I can't believe that Fable 2 news, I already pre-ordered to get the free pub games, I would have waited for the patch to come out if I had known there would be no co-op at launch, especially since LBP comes out that same day!
Maybe Shawn's move to game development has some link to Proust Was a Neuroscientist...

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
dr3upmushroom said:
Kinda an uneventful podcast this week. Anyways, sucks to see GFW crew bounce, great times though. Wonder if they'll ever be a reunion podcast with all five guys again.

Someday...this will happen. :)

kassatsu

Banned
JeffGreen said:
Someday...this will happen. :)

kipyes-1.gif

Rez>You said:
Wow, I actually feel sad. I mean I listened to the final GFW and and all, but there's something about the definate finality of this that affected me. The line "that's it, after this I'm walking out of here" did it.

Good luck Shawn, all the best. You're an asset to this industry.
Same here, and Shawn, like I have said in the 1up thread you are one of my favorite people in the games industry, you have always been super genuine and always elevate and add to every conversation you take part in!

And yeah, that really hit me to. The last GFW was a really sad day but this one really stuck the last nail in the coffin, when he said he was out...that was it I guess.

Anyways, the Lego quote was a great final epic quote from Shawn!

"Well it's like Legos then, you don't invite your sister to come play with you; you get your hardcore friend and then you make the deathstar together".
-Shawn Elliot

Good Luck Shawn and start a blog for the love of god even if it has nothing to do with teh gaming industry!

Top Bottom