• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UPs GTA IV Pre-Review (previous rumors of 360 version 'issues' true...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raYne

Wollan said:
I think I missed the gone Gold announcement from Rockstar, did they ever say?
Nope. There wasn't one that I've seen.

skip said:
yah -- this should probably be closed. does a disservice to Himuro's great official thread.
Rule 1 is "no console wars" in the official thread. So it's much better off here.

skip

King_Slender said:
Skip - can you clarify: Do that same "lack of traffic" and fade-in issues appear on the PS3. If so, this whole thread is a non-issue.

thing is, those problems were infrequent in the 360 version, so our limited time with PS3 isn't a good comparison. I only mentioned it in the the text because I did notice it at times and thought it was worth mentioning.

vast majority of the time, you're going to find plenty of cars and people. it's just more noticeable when A) you're running from cops and need a car or B) you're dropped off in a neighborhood that doesn't have many intersections to begin with.

one thing they did improve is the variety of cars in any given area, it's not just the same two or three models (or whatever you happen to be driving at the time). repeating cars still exists, but it's a lot better (and kinda makes sense to see the same types of cars in the same neighborhoods).

How much can you customize the controls?

like, say if I wanted to keep L2 as aiming but have R1 as shoot, would I be able to do that? can you adjust how sensitive aiming is?

raYne said:
Well, most games in general don't get a gold announcement...
Huh, it sure feels like i'm always hearing them. I just thought with a game this big, we would hear when its a 'final' version.

skip

Mash said:
Exactly it really pisses me off, I can't imagine what it's doing to you.

it's making me want to go get lunch and never come back! the GTA answering machine is now shut off, before I dig any deeper holes.

skip said:
it's making me want to go get lunch and never come back! the GTA answering machine is now shut off, before I dig any deeper holes.

Damn! I wish I came to this thread sooner. Why did people have to start it up again!

Does anyone at all know if you can customize the controls anyway you want?

Mash

The Faceless Master said:
wow, i'm surprised that this thread is this civil

I think it's partly just at the core people don't give a shit about these supposed issues and just want to fuck stuff up with guns and cars.

Mash said:
I think it's partly just at the core people don't give a shit about these supposed issues and just want to fuck stuff up with guns and cars.
I don't think anyone really believes it anyways.

dallow_bg said:
That the 360 version had more framerate problems, and less on-screen assets.
I believe the truth is that the PS3 version has never been shown at the same time due to development issues (laggin behind) - all previews have been from 360

I've never seen anything on a comparison of the 2 system builds...

bud

fuck mandatory installs. if there's an option to install the game so that it improves the performance, then fine. but it doesn't. it's like every ps3 game nowadays requires it. sigh.

kiUNiT

Vaxadrin said:
That's cool that someone finally enabled 360 controller support on the PS3.

Please be True where did you read this.If I could use the 360 controller on the PS3 I would only need the 360 for exclusives.

Firewire

Banned
commariodore64 said:
I believe the truth is that the PS3 version has never been shown at the same time due to development issues (laggin behind) - all previews have been from 360

I've never seen anything on a comparison of the 2 system builds...
n/m

Skip. How's the euphoria engine? Does it shine only in certain parts of the game or throughout the entire game with the NPCs and how you interact with them?

skip

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Skip. How's the euphoria engine? Does it shine only in certain parts of the game or throughout the entire game with the NPCs and how you interact with them?

* I once carjacked a dude and his buddy. they didn't take to well to it, so they pulled me out and started to throw punches. I knocked one of 'em down, got back in the car, and the other one's hand got stuck in the door. I dragged him for about 50 feet down the road before shaking him loose.

* A guy grabs onto my helicopter strut as I'm taking off. I carry him as I ascend, until he falls down hundreds of feet to his (presumed) death.

it's rad.

Gbeav

Banned
bud said:
fuck mandatory installs. if there's an option to install the game so that it improves the performance, then fine. but it doesn't. it's like every ps3 game nowadays requires it. sigh.

I like mandatory installs tyvm. And if you only have a 747 360 you should want that too.

Chrange

Banned
oompa said:
In the OPM UK review they stated they had played over LAN but I thought that was funny because I remember reading somewhere else that there was no LAN.

That's driving me nuts. AICN preview said no local multiplayer, which I'm assuming to include LAN - since they didn't mention it. It could also just mean no split-screen (JUST ON 360 VERSION, HAR HAR) but it's not specific.

I haven't seen anything saying definitively that there's LAN play - and that's the only reason I've already pre-ordered a second copy. I want to know one way or the other so I can dump that if I don't need it.

Himuro said:
It's possible. Get a pc 360 USB controller and you're game.

Unless they've added support in a recent FW release this is NOT true. The 360 controller requires a specific driver to operate which isn't present on the PS3. Trust me, I've tried. MOST PC USB controllers will work on PS3 as they will operate under a generic driver.

This design is probably intentional so that you can't do exactly this.

skip said:
* I once carjacked a dude and his buddy. they didn't take to well to it, so they pulled me out and started to throw punches. I knocked one of 'em down, got back in the car, and the other one's hand got stuck in the door. I dragged him for about 50 feet down the road before shaking him loose.

fuuuuuuuuck.gif

Holy shit.

Himuro said:
It's possible. Get a pc 360 USB controller and you're game.
GTA IV on PS3 with 360 controller? wat!?

How long has this been possible!?

EDIT:
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Unless they've added support in a recent FW release this is NOT true. The 360 controller requires a specific driver to operate which isn't present on the PS3. Trust me, I've tried. MOST PC USB controllers will work on PS3 as they will operate under a generic driver.

This design is probably intentional so that you can't do exactly this.
gregor7777 said:
It's not, it has it's own driver written specifically for the 360 pad.
Dream shattered :(

skip said:
one thing they did improve is the variety of cars in any given area, it's not just the same two or three models (or whatever you happen to be driving at the time). repeating cars still exists, but it's a lot better (and kinda makes sense to see the same types of cars in the same neighborhoods).

I'm so happy to hear that, this was my biggest pet peeve about GTA. I mentioned it earlier in this thread (or another GTA thread), but in VC, I absolutely HATED getting into an Infernus and then only seeing infernus' drive by.

I did install SA on my PC though, and it doesn't seem to have the issue at all, which leads me to believe that it's memory related.

Either way, I'm glad GTA4 has alleviated that problem.

My big question is whether there's really as much traffic as you see in the screenshots (ie Burgershot screen, OXM scan w/Niko on the bike)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom