• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UPs GTA IV Pre-Review (previous rumors of 360 version 'issues' true...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Unless they've added support in a recent FW release this is NOT true. The 360 controller requires a specific driver to operate which isn't present on the PS3. Trust me, I've tried. MOST PC USB controllers will work on PS3 as they will operate under a generic driver.

This design is probably intentional so that you can't do exactly this.

wait a minute, are you telling me I could be using PC controllers on my PS3 without any problems?

does anyone know if either of these would work? http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/gamepads/devices/292&cl=us,en or http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/p3600.htm

Ranger X

You guys seriously thought that those issues of car disappearing, texture popping and framerate dipping would suddenly disappear???

How about some realistic thinking guys.

skip said:
* I once carjacked a dude and his buddy. they didn't take to well to it, so they pulled me out and started to throw punches. I knocked one of 'em down, got back in the car, and the other one's hand got stuck in the door. I dragged him for about 50 feet down the road before shaking him loose.

* A guy grabs onto my helicopter strut as I'm taking off. I carry him as I ascend, until he falls down hundreds of feet to his (presumed) death.

it's rad.

Awesome. Thanks! So it isn't limited to just certain missions. Less than two weeks, baby.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ranger X said:
You guys seriously thought that those issues of car disappearing, texture popping and framerate dipping would suddenly disappear???

:lol

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
question, will GAF have one topic dedicated simply to the inevitable comparisons or will the entire forum be covered in the shit? I hope to god it is the former, i don't want to have to go off GAF for another week (at least).

mentalfloss said:
PS3 version looks slightly better eh? Colour me surprised.

Framerate better on PS3 too?
i'm pretty sure we've seen this story before.

DMC4, CoD4, EA Sports, Pro Evo Soccer etc etc. :lol

i've seen one preview of the PS3 build thus far. one. just sayin. my eyes are open.

ggp759

Banned
chris0701 said:
Nice troll at the thread title. Try your best before GTAIV launch anytime.

Apparently anything that favors the PS3,even by a hair, is considered trolling. I wonder what is term for the opposite?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
WrikaWrek said:
Why would Skip spend most of his time with the 360 version if the Ps3 version was better?

Doesn't make sense.

He's taking everybody in this thread along for the ride and people are falling for it. :lol

AZ Greg

WrikaWrek said:
Why would Skip spend most of his time with the 360 version if the Ps3 version was better?

Doesn't make sense.

achievementlogo.jpg

;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Agent Icebeezy said:
He's taking everybody in this thread along for the ride and people are falling for it. :lol

I don't think he was being disingenuous with his remarks/answers :|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Ranger X said:

Seriously? Yeah, I thought at least the car disappearing thing wouldn't pop up.

Mafia did that shit years ago.

Texture popping I expected. Framerate dipping I was hoping wouldn't be a problem, but doesn't suprise me.

WrikaWrek

Banned
BobsRevenge said:

Texture popping I expected. Framerate dipping I was hoping wouldn't be a problem, but doesn't suprise me.

Yeah cars disappearing is a huge turn off when it happens.

Nizz

skip said:
yup. there really isn't a superior/inferior version here.
Thank God, man! As having only a PS3, I can appreciate this. A game coming out day and date on both systems where everyone can experience the game at the same time. Nothing worse than seeing people discussing a game that comes out on 360 first, and I can't share in the experience until months/weeks later. It's been getting better lately, but sometimes there's still delays (Alone in the Dark) that are months away from the release on other consoles. The Wii is getting AitD before PS3 owners. That's painful. But I'm glad to hear both versions of GTA IV are pretty much identical.

Linkzg said:
wait a minute, are you telling me I could be using PC controllers on my PS3 without any problems?

It's hit and miss.

Since PC controllers map their buttons and axes differently it depends. I don't have any standalone PC USB controllers but I've successfully used various PC adapters on the PS3 with various levels of success. I've played Gripshift using a PS2 and a Gamecube controller through adapters. These USB adapters are just turning whatever controller you plug in into a generic PC USB controller which the PS3 recognizes. I've even gotten a Saturn pad to work in the XMB without issue.

Here's the rub:

1) Obviously, these controllers don't have the "PS" button on them either, so PS2 BC games can be a problem as the system disconnects all controllers when you launch one and requires the "PS" button to reconnect. They make specific PS3 adapters for PS2 controllers that have the PS button on them.

2) Some games require the analog stick for navigation, and if the controller you are using doesn't have one (Saturn) or it's mapped oddly then these won't work.

EDIT - As for the specific controllers you mentioned, you need to make sure that they don't require specific drivers to work in XP. If they do, they won't work on the PS3. Also, don't expect the "rumble" funtion to work either.

Mindlog

Any thread that STARTS with the fucking console war is fucking fail.

This thread is awarded no points, and may god have mercy on its soul.

Leonsito said:
Framerate issues, popping, cars disappearing...

Yes, that's the GTA I always knew, come to me IV :D

What he said. While I hoped that some of these would vanish, the pure awesomeness of the game will make these minor quibbles minor quibbles.

Yoshichan

Leonsito said:
Framerate issues, popping, cars disappearing...

Yes, that's the GTA I always knew, come to me IV :D
Absolutely, friend!

Ranger X

BobsRevenge said:

Well, let me make a precision. I really doubt they would have been car disappearance by a simple camera rotation. I was expecting cars to still disappear over time when you leave it there though. Like a game ever would be able to track and keep all the cars forever where you left them. We are SO not there yet.

Jacobi

Banned
Ranger X said:
Well, let me make a precision. I really doubt they would have been car disappearance by a simple camera rotation. I was expecting cars to still disappear over time when you leave it there though. Like a game ever would be able to track and keep all the cars forever where you left them. We are SO not there yet.
Uh Driver 3 did it... So what the hell

Ranger X

Jacobi said:
Uh Driver 3 did it... So what the hell

No. It's like bullet holes, no games EVER kept all the bullet holes you could create. No game can keep all the cars you left there unless there is a precalculated max of cars that can be generated. No console is having infinite ram.

dfyb

Banned
6.8 said:
i fail to see how it's trolling.
the guy goes off topic to attack me. my post was on topic and relevant - it was reasonable to believe the preview was for the 360 build based on the specific mention of a 360 controller.

Jtrizzy

It only takes five minutes, so it must be pretty small. My concern will be if games are consistently more than 3-5 gig installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom