• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UPs GTA IV Pre-Review (previous rumors of 360 version 'issues' true...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I was too harsh. I just can't stand when console wars get in the way of legitimate discussion.

Nevertheless, suggesting someone should have been aborted was not have been the best choice of words.

Sorry Weenerz.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
snack said:
I guess I was too harsh. I just can't stand when console wars get in the way of legitimate discussion.

Nevertheless, suggesting someone should have been aborted was not have been the best choice of words.

Sorry Weenerz.
Good man.

AkuMifune

Banned
skip said:
this is kinda why we quit sometimes

Yeah, but you guys (1up) kinda fan the flames by making statements like that in your news & previews without clarification of console specific differences. You can't do that, incite the masses, and then come to GAF of all places to shake your head in shame.

_Angelus_

Banned
That insult was GameFaqs quality material. :lol
Eh,I still say GameFaqs is the better forum though.
More game talk,less viral posters also.
Which version of the game is better,who cares?
In the end most of us aren't gonna be worried about it.

Rent both if you're undecided,come to your own conclusion.

muzzakus

Banned
I lay down these odd based on past trends of cross platform gaming

1.8 : 1 - Xbox 360 is technically superior
0.9 : 1 - Both versions are equal
0.2 : 1 - PS3 is technically superior

Anyone shouting that PS3 will be is superior is making quite a nonsensical comment simply based on history.

AkuMifune said:
Yeah, but you guys (1up) kinda fan the flames by making statements like that in your news & previews without clarification of console specific differences. You can't do that, incite the masses, and then come to GAF of all places to shake your head in shame.

Word up. If this was explained more clearly from the getgo in the article half of this thread wouldn't exist.

AkuMifune said:

and then say "Rockstar says the PS3 version looks slightly better..." and contribute to what they bash.

MercuryLS

Banned
Jtrizzy said:
Where did you see this? Regardless of which controller it is, I think the idea of holding the trigger half way sounds kind of sketchy. Considering the problems with their aiming systems in the past, I think it's a valid concern. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. None of the previews have complained about it though, so that is a good sign.

I hope I can turn off auto-lock for the single player. I'd rather not have to consciously hold the left trigger half way to do it.

newsguy

MercuryLS said:
I hope I can turn off auto-lock for the single player. I'd rather not have to consciously hold the left trigger half way to do it.

Still up in the air for SP. I think we'll get confirmation before release from people who have or will have the game early here on GAF

Angelus said:
That insult was GameFaqs quality material. :lol
Eh,I still say GameFaqs is the better forum though.
More game talk,less viral posters also.
Which version of the game is better,who cares?
In the end most of us aren't gonna be worried about it.

Rent both if you're undecided,come to your own conclusion.
I couldn't have sunk that low.
newsguy said:
Snack's a good guy. I wouldn't judge him on something he said in the heat of the moment. I actually lol'ed cause the abortion comment reminded me of the funniest thing on the internet
Thanks for vouching for me that I am not an asshat.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Did you see how I originally quoted your post after I changed it? :lol
No. What you do?

raYne

newsguy said:
Still up in the air for SP. I think we'll get confirmation before release from people who have or will have the game early here on GAF
Someone should just ask CowboyAstronaut. He's been playing for a few days now.

muzzakus said:
I lay down these odd based on past trends of cross platform gaming

1.8 : 1 - Xbox 360 is technically superior
0.9 : 1 - Both versions are equal
0.2 : 1 - PS3 is technically superior

Anyone shouting that PS3 will be is superior is making quite a nonsensical comment simply based on history.

River in Egypt. You be in.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i didn't know which version to get, but now i know that the rumours of problems on the X360 have been pretty much confirmed, i'll get the PS3 version instead.

BIG thanks to the OP, you saved me man. I could have gotten the X360 version and that would have been a sick burn. I'd have had to get it on import here, so that's $80 saved.

I'll definitely get the PS3 version now.

Disaster for MS IMO. Shocking stuff.

Can we get more threads where the problems (or even possible problems) with X360 games added in the thread titles incase i miss them?

DCharlie said:
i didn't know which version to get, but now i know that the rumours of problems on the X360 have been pretty much confirmed, i'll get the PS3 version instead.

BIG thanks to the OP, you saved me man. I could have gotten the X360 version and that would have been a sick burn. I'd have had to get it on import here, so that's $80 saved.

I'll definitely get the PS3 version now.

Disaster for MS IMO. Shocking stuff.

Can we get more threads where the problems (or even possible problems) with X360 games added in the thread titles incase i miss them?

Not....going....to..bite.....

DCharlie

Not....going....to..bite.....

:)

i dunno man - the thread title questions whether issue we heard nothing about with the X360 were now confirmed.

Given the sales battle up coming, it's just a crap thread title aimed at either stirring the pot or getting people to question buying one particular version.

*shrug*

gtj1092

Why don't the differences matter now to the fanboys when all you heard before from them was 360 is the lead version, rage engine used in table tennis blah blah blah. But now that there are no differences and the Ps3 version might run better according to Rockstar by way of Skip the fanboys are playing down the possible differences.

The back tracking by the fanboys is hilarious from the lead platform BS to the DLC somehow being Vice City, San Andreas levels in size to now being 10hrs and a sidestory/missions.

DCharlie said:
:)

i dunno man - the thread title questions whether issue we heard nothing about with the X360 were now confirmed.

Given the sales battle up coming, it's just a crap thread title aimed at either stirring the pot or getting people to question buying one particular version.

*shrug*

The thread title was in relation to the supposed review that was out and out called fake (and it may have been). It was just interesting that 1UP noted a similar issue that was mentioned in the 'fake' review - namely a lack of cars on screen.

I'm sure that there are reasons most review sites refuse to do comparisons between 360 and PS3 versions (namely $$$$$$), but when an issue crops up that would seem to be due to some technical limitation, it would be nice if they would also comment on if that issue is or is not present in the other version.

Combine that with Skip stirring the pot (unintentionally, no doubt) by saying that Rockstar themselves said that the PS3 version looked slightly better and you can see how things spiral out of control. Personally, I blame the reviewers for not comparing the versions.

I don't even view it as a fanboy issue - it's an issue that some people are just curious about (and no doubt fanboys pounce on, unfortunately). Look at Madden '07, clearly the 360 was the superior version, and the consumer should be given that information.

DCharlie

The thread title was in relation to the supposed review that was out and out called fake (and it may have been). It was just interesting that 1UP noted a similar issue that was mentioned in the 'fake' review - namely a lack of cars on screen.

well, the guy who posted the fake review eventually admitted it was totally fake right?

But yes, i get your point. It certainly wouldn't be the first game to have technical issues.

The thread title just seemed a little off given the above (the only issues on the X360 version reported were in a fake review)

It would be nice to know if the PS3 doesn't have the issues though, it would possibly make a difference.

Flavius

skip said:
this is kinda why we quit sometimes

I blame that shmoe who edited the console-specific reference into your preview. :p

I kid, but seriously, what an odd decision to make, particularly without consulting you first. Simple error, perhaps?

BAN HIM/HER!!!...er, um...from the snack machine...for like a week, or...something.

Yoboman

FightyF said:
What the hell do you mean by "Evander" it up?
e·van·der
1. to ignore logic; contrary to or disregardful of the rules of logic; unreasoning: an illogical reply.
2. to derail a thread.

btkadams

these threads are kinda pointless, people shouldve decided which version they are getting by now. people dont really need to worry about the differences between versions like framerate, they are not that noticeable this far into the gen... especially with a top dev like rockstar. im sure both games will play great whether or not there are tiny weaknesses in certain places.

Yoboman said:
e·van·der
1. to ignore logic; contrary to or disregardful of the rules of logic; unreasoning: an illogical reply.
2. to derail a thread.

Couldn't have put it better myself. He's the only GAFer that's actually pushed me to the point of adding him to my ignore list.

Dante

The same people who claim they hate these threads, are kinda the same people who seem to keep them going on and on for pages.

Why hasn't the title been changed to something more...humorous? The 'rumor' about the 360 version thread stayed open quite a while after we found out it was bullshit too, the mods must be having fun watching the various proclamations of superiority and meltdowns.

Flavius

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Why hasn't the title been changed to something more...humorous? The 'rumor' about the 360 version thread stayed open quite a while after we found out it was bullshit too, the mods must be having fun watching the various proclamations of superiority and meltdowns.

thinning the herd

Socreges

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Whoo boy look at dem titties.

Shame I'll be too busy playing GTA4 to bother with the tidal wave of shit threads it's going to spawn.
this SHOULD BE the extent of GTA4 talk once it's out:

OMG ITS SO AWESOME SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOGE

I GO PLAY MORE YEAH BYE
Need not no debate. Just enjoy the fucking thing.

Unless you don't enjoy it. In which case there's a) something wrong with you, or b) I don't want to live anymore

bud

Jtrizzy said:
Granted it doesn't make any sense in the context of frame rate, but I think what he was trying to convey is that the game has a grainy look to it, similar to what you see on film. And that compensates for the frame rate issues. I guess.

that doesn't make any sense at all.

I am going to get the superior PS3 version. Thank god for all of the in depth analysis that happens on these threads!

I am actually posting this from my Sony PSP while on the way to EBGames to trade in my 360 (RRoD LOL) for store credit to pre-order the vastly superior PS3 version.

Striker

FirstInHell said:
I am going to get the superior PS3 version. Thank god for all of the in depth analysis that happens on these threads!

I am actually posting this from my Sony PSP while on the way to EBGames to trade in my 360 (RRoD LOL) for store credit to pre-order the vastly superior PS3 version.
:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom