• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 Chainz – Birthday Song f. Kanye West (Video)[All I want for my birthday is a big..]

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Kush

He's having too much fun making this pop ish.

EDIT: That old paki dude was about to bust out some of the middle eastern swag after he poured the 40 out, highlight of the video. Someone needs to gif that.

wtfs with the "paki"? and how do you all even know this guy is Pakistani?

I simply stated that he wasn't as popular as he used to be.

This is correct, because of this:

...hell, what about Stronger? All over the radio and tv

People must've bumped their heads and forgot just how huge the combo of Graduation + Stronger + those damn Shutter Shades were. Kanye was a phenom back then.
Every new video was almost like an event. Now it's like... "Oh Kanye got a new video? Cool."
The 808 singles after Love Lockdown weren't as big as the Graduation era.
The MBDTF singles weren't either. WTT was a relative flop in comparison not only to Weezy and Drake but also Jay and Kanye's previous work.
I can't see Cruel Summer being some worldwide sensation either. I mean, who's really checking for Mercy?

In terms of popularity he's definitely been steadily declining since Graduation.

Anyway..... 2 CHAINZZZZZ

Ephemeris

guy30du1e.gif

You deserve a coupe today

DominoKid

This is correct, because of this:

People must've bumped their heads and forgot just how huge the combo of Graduation + Stronger + those damn Shutter Shades were. Kanye was a phenom back then.
Every new video was almost like an event. Now it's like... "Oh Kanye got a new video? Cool."
The 808 singles after Love Lockdown weren't as big as the Graduation era.
The MBDTF singles weren't either. WTT was a relative flop in comparison not only to Weezy and Drake but also Jay and Kanye's previous work.
I can't see Cruel Summer being some worldwide sensation either. I mean, who's really checking for Mercy?

In terms of popularity he's definitely been steadily declining since Graduation.

Anyway..... 2 CHAINZZZZZ

His popularity might be declining (I disagree) but his fame is bigger than ever.

What other rapper has his own fucking shoe that got people lined up for days and robbing each other for? (Air Yeezy)

What other rapper could ditch rap and make an autotuned breakup album, and still have it sell like hotcakes? (808s)
Saying that Love Lockdown is the only single off that album is just flat wrong. Did you forget Heartless? His biggest single ever?

What other artist these days gets to make a 40 minute music video for primetime TV?

MBDTF might not have sold as much, but it's his most critically acclaimed album. A staple at the top of the 2010 AOTY charts. Runaway? Huge. AOTL? Huge.

compared to Wayne and Drake, WTT basically dropped w/o promo and spawned the biggest rap song of the year. It was the defining rap album of 2011 regardless of whether it was the best or sold the most.

Mercy's a hit and been a staple all year. One of the best videos as well.
And Kanye singlehandedly made Chief Keef relevant by remixing his song and making it a hit.

Stop acting like Kanye aint still popular as fuck. In fact, I'd argue he's more popular than ever. Everything he drops is an experience.

Runaway....huge? AOTL...huge? wtf, were you guys even alive during Kanye's reign before 808s?

He's nowhere near as big as he once was in terms of airplay.

joe2187

Banned
I need a gif of the four dudes swaying with the chick in the middle shaking her ass at 0:29, it's just so weird and awkward that I need to have it in gif form.

Hieberrr

2 chaaaaaaainnzzzz

When I saw his promo during the NBA All-star weekend, I thought it was some kind of a joke. Still is... dude makes terrible music, lmao.

Con_Smith

Banned
This video makes me think "God I miss Atlanta." We might not always have the best lyracists but We bring some great party music.

Ah yea, that must be it.

Why is he popular though? Can someone explain?

I don't want to get into the whole "Rap is now shit" argument, but i watched the Lincoln Lawyer a few days ago, and the Outro song was Gangstarr's "moment of truth" which i had never heard and it fucking blew me away. I love 90's rap, maybe that has something to do with it.

Vice

Ah yea, that must be it.

Why is he popular though? Can someone explain?

I don't want to get into the whole "Rap is now shit" argument, but i watched the Lincoln Lawyer a few days ago, and the Outro song was Gangstarr's "moment of truth" which i had never heard and it fucking blew me away. I love 90's rap, maybe that has something to do with it.

Rappers like 2 Chainz have always been popular. Look at Silkk The Shocker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTAZu1Dpjfk

Off beat, no lyrics and he was popular at the same time as some as Gangstarr. Sometimes you justw ant to listen to something that you don't have to think to enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom