• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

How do I do it? Slowly, and with furniture polish on my visor to keep the rain off! It makes you appreciate the nice weather more. I figured I'll be in the driving rain picking up this CBR600 tomorrow, so might as well get some practice.

I just got back, the tiny side fairings hold a surprising amount of water. I thought my radiator had exploded!

Fixed1979

welp, the z's gearbox melted down again, this time locking up cold. had it towed into my preferred dealer+service desk (instead of the original dealer), and they looked it over, declared that the original dealer had fucked up prep TWICE by not making sure oil had gotten in the crankcase and gearbox. ("how the fuck did you shift this thing???" the tech asked. "lots of preload!" i said with a stupid, mildly freaked out grin.)

rather than deal with warranty disputes myself, i traded my z to the dealership owner (who is also a friend, and) who gave me a more-than-fair price (plus he's gonna sort out the warranty for himself) and cut me a deal on this as a replacement:

PK28cq0.jpg

2014 street triple r. not exactly the z, but hey, good dealers get my money. also, man, it PAYS to be nice to 'em. :-D

Nice! Congrats on the triple. It definitely appears to be the most owned bike on NeoGAF now and it's well deserved.

I'm ending my season on Monday, time for storage. Fuck winter. I want to get a sled/snowmobile, but then I need a truck and a place to park it...it's going to be another long cold one.

Nice! Congrats on the triple. It definitely appears to be the most owned bike on NeoGAF now and it's well deserved.

I'm ending my season on Monday, time for storage. Fuck winter. I want to get a sled/snowmobile, but then I need a truck and a place to park it...it's going to be another long cold one.

You and me both. You're in AB right? When can you take it back out in the spring? I'm in ON, probably can't get it back until early April. Succccks.

Fixed1979

You and me both. You're in AB right? When can you take it back out in the spring? I'm in ON, probably can't get the back until early April. Succccks.

Yeah northern AB, I'm pretty sure it was early April for me this year as well, though realistically it was still too cold to go far or fast, but at least I was on two wheels again. I was in Toronto early April of last year and there were bikes everywhere, and I come back home it's still winter.

Dougald

It may rain all year round and never get that hot, but at least it barely snows here, so I just have to put up with the cold/wet/wind. It makes biking miserable but not impossibly dangerous.

Of course, when we get more than 1 inch of snow the country grounds to a halt, but that's not very often. Didn't snow once last year

MutFox

Banned
That's really similar to Vancouver...
Though the weather has been pretty dry for at least 4 months now, it's been great! :D
We get snow for at most a week or so of the year.

Unless we go up the mountains,
which are about a 10-15 min ride from my house... :p

Reminds me, I gotta do another mountain ride before it gets colder...
Love those winding roads...

Dougald

Sat at the airport reading RiDE, there is a company in the Austrian Alps that rents out bikes for €100 a day, very reasonable. Their site is http://www.highbike-paznaun.com/english/ - if you stay in Paznaun, then you get a card from the Hotel that reduces the rental to €70... nice!

Not quite as fun as riding there myself, but I think flying to Zurich and taking the train is probably more relaxing than riding to Dover, getting the Channel Tunnel, then riding 1000km...

Me 2 Max, Me 2.

Sat at the airport reading RiDE, there is a company in the Austrian Alps that rents out bikes for €100 a day, very reasonable. Their site is http://www.highbike-paznaun.com/english/ - if you stay in Paznaun, then you get a card from the Hotel that reduces the rental to €70... nice!

Not quite as fun as riding there myself, but I think flying to Zurich and taking the train is probably more relaxing than riding to Dover, getting the Channel Tunnel, then riding 1000km...

Yeah, I've been thinking about this problem for a while now. I've been leaning towards buying some kind of trailer so that I can tow my own bike safely instead of renting something considerably less awesome than my Duc or Buells.

MutFox

Banned
true true... something that will work at a rally. How long till you get it?

They said about 4 weeks,
but I have a feeling it'll take longer...

I don't mind though, I probably won't heavily use it til next riding season... :p

Also checked out a Grom the other day,
didn't feel that small for some reason...
Was actually sorta comfy. :|

All this talk of rain makes me feel spoiled. It was 83 here yesterday haha. I ride all the way into mid December with my regular jacket and gloves.

They said about 4 weeks,
but I have a feeling it'll take longer...

I don't mind though, I probably won't heavily use it til next riding season... :p

Also checked out a Grom the other day,
didn't feel that small for some reason...
Was actually sorta comfy. :|

I went so far as to test ride one and what allot of fun. Do yourself a favour and go and try one. I am 5'11 and its got allot of room and for that price you cannot go wrong.

MutFox

Banned
Hehe, yeah, def wanna test ride one.
I'm 5'11 too and sitting on it felt fine.
Though yeah, you truly can't tell until it's been tested. :p

Dougald

Picked up the CBR600F, knocked another 50 off there so was £1250 all in. She rode it back, but I did take it for a test ride, great little bike, huge amount of steering lock, and the power doesn't come on until 4-5000RPM really, so perfect as a first big bike for my wife.

Only problem we've had is it looks like the speedo is over-reading a good 15%+. I reckon the gearing has probably changed at some point in its life, so that'll either be a speedo healer, or a change back to stock gearing. Unfortunately, not something I could really check for on a test ride, only realized on the way home when I queried why she was only going 60mph.

The bike is pretty great, just needs some love. Mechanically, it seems to live up to its reputation. After 19 years it still handles brilliantly, too.

Pics... tomorrow, when it's light out!

Picked up the CBR600F, knocked another 50 off there so was £1250 all in. She rode it back, but I did take it for a test ride, great little bike, huge amount of steering lock, and the power doesn't come on until 4-5000RPM really, so perfect as a first big bike for my wife.

Only problem we've had is it looks like the speedo is over-reading a good 15%+. I reckon the gearing has probably changed at some point in its life, so that'll either be a speedo healer, or a change back to stock gearing. Unfortunately, not something I could really check for on a test ride, only realized on the way home when I queried why she was only going 60mph.

The bike is pretty great, just needs some love. Mechanically, it seems to live up to its reputation. After 19 years it still handles brilliantly, too.

Pics... tomorrow, when it's light out!

Excellent, sounds good.

Dougald

After spending half an hour checking the sprockets on the CBR600F, I discovered that they're stock. I asked her if she was *sure* she was reading it right, got a "yes", took the bike out following her in the car.... there's nothing wrong with the Speedometer

I'm pretty sure she was reading the "kmh" instead of "mph", but I'll never get her to admit that...!!!

TCRS

Banned
what a beauty, I love these old japanese bikes, such an iconic design.

fucking hate the overly aggressive bug design of today.

Yeah, I wonder when they're going to catch on to that as well. Would love for Yamaha to release an updated though thoroughly retro design of their YZF750R for instance.

It looks very neat Doug, I imagine your wife must be very happy with it.

Dougald

I prefer the twin-light design for safety, as it makes it more obvious that you're a bike. But I agree that the "fox/bug eye" looks is pretty played out at this point.

I quite like the transformer-like look of the original Fazer:

a0fe2OU.jpg

Watevaman

After spending half an hour checking the sprockets on the CBR600F, I discovered that they're stock. I asked her if she was *sure* she was reading it right, got a "yes", took the bike out following her in the car.... there's nothing wrong with the Speedometer

I'm pretty sure she was reading the "kmh" instead of "mph", but I'll never get her to admit that...!!!

While 15% sounds a little high, I wouldn't put it off as being too much. My GS would read a good 11% off, which could be "fixed" by going with a higher profile front tire, since that's where it read from.

Here it is then.... apart from some age-related marks (and a very old front tyre), it's in pretty damn good condition. The chain cleaned up so well it looks brand new.

Great looking bike... and I am glad its all in good working order. How did she get on the leaver?

Minto

Long time lurker guys, some of the bikes you guys have are stunning.

Picked this up on Friday, it's a 2003 CBR 600RR. I got it for £2500 and it's in mint condition with 16000 miles. Needs a bit of a clean though which I'll do when my back stops hurting! I rode it for 4 hours yesterday, it ain't no sports tourer!

Bike Selfie

I had the same bike (04 year, blue), only in much worse shape, as my first. I was ignorant then, but it turned out to be OK...my troubles didn't begin until I got my GSX-R750 (RIP) ;) .

Minto

Yeah this is my first bike as well but there's no way I'm taking too many chances on it. I can tell already from 2 days riding that I'll die if I fuck around on it.

Dougald

£2500? Another Brit who has gone through the "fun" DVLA license process then?

It's a great looking bike, £2500 seems really cheap for a 600RR, looks like you got a steal.

Minto

£2500? Another Brit who has gone through the "fun" DVLA license process then?

It's a great looking bike, £2500 seems really cheap for a 600RR, looks like you got a steal.
Yeah dude I did my direct access in July and passed mid September. It's a bit of joke isn't it?

The dealer was looking for £2900 for the bike but it had been sitting there for about 2 weeks and bike sales are so slow right now. I struck with a low bid and he accepted. Happy days.

Now to get some riding in before the snow arrives!

Yeah dude I did my direct access in July and passed mid September. It's a bit of joke isn't it?

The dealer was looking for £2900 for the bike but it had been sitting there for about 2 weeks and bike sales are so slow right now. I struck with a low bid and he accepted. Happy days.

Now to get some riding in before the snow arrives!

BTW if you're a new rider I highly recommend spending a day on the bikesafe course run by the met police. (and other forces I think).

For only £45 you get a decent day out where you get a little lecture on riding safety and then get out of the road and they give you a breakdown of what you're doing right or wrong.

At the end of the day you get little goodie bag that includes a decent advanced riders book worth a tenner on its own.

BTW if you're a new rider I highly recommend spending a day on the bikesafe course run by the met police. (and other forces I think).

For only £45 you get a decent day out where you get a little lecture on riding safety and then get out of the road and they give you a breakdown of what you're doing right or wrong.

At the end of the day you get little goodie bag that includes a decent advanced riders book worth a tenner on its own.

Agree.. also heard really good things about this course as a mate did it twice. Any you get the ride at some high speed with the police clearing the path for you.

Long time lurker guys, some of the bikes you guys have are stunning.

Picked this up on Friday, it's a 2003 CBR 600RR. I got it for £2500 and it's in mint condition with 16000 miles. Needs a bit of a clean though which I'll do when my back stops hurting! I rode it for 4 hours yesterday, it ain't no sports tourer!

Bike Selfie

Grats with the new bike and being a new rider.... all the fun lies ahead. Just keep it safe during the winter months and welcome to the thread

Watevaman

Damn this ZRX. Weld didn't hold on the nut we tried, so now my only remaining option is pretty much to take it to a shop and see what they can do. I pride myself in not having to take my shit to shops but I guess I'll have to buck up and pay someone.

Damn this ZRX. Weld didn't hold on the nut we tried, so now my only remaining option is pretty much to take it to a shop and see what they can do. I pride myself in not having to take my shit to shops but I guess I'll have to buck up and pay someone.

Well if you tried everything you can then its good effort. Hope they can get it fixed for you. Good luck

Yeah you did your best. At this point the relief of having it fixed is probably worth more.

Dougald

Damn that sucks, I thought for sure the heat from the weld would loosen it up enough for that not to happen.

No shame in giving up and taking it to a shop just to get it done though. That's what I had to do to get some bearing races out of a Swingarm once. At this point it'll be a relief just to get it done, I expect

Dougald

The amount of diesel on the road in this country when it rains makes me wonder how van drivers can afford all the extra fuel

MutFox

Banned
I want to get an action cam that is inside my motorcycle helmet...
Was looking at camera glasses, but I don't think the tech is there, but it's close...

Here's a couple links:
Some Racing
Motorcycle Track Day

Only thing is that the FOV is kinda low on those Pivothead glasses.
Also that they only have 8GB of internal memory...
Found others with high FOV that looked promising,
but reviews online say they're awesome, until they fail.
(Also use Micro SD)

Hope they get better in the near future.

Top Bottom