• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans

But those mountain roads. Skiing is awesome though it hits the same happy parts of my brain that motorcycling does.

We have one park with like 200ft of drop and shaved ice for snow. I worked at deer valley as a cook many years ago and had unlimited passes. It was amazing except for the whole being a cook part.

edit: deer valley is the resort out here. I worked at Park City :p

Took the X challenge in... mmm vibration

4sebMBh.jpg

Its the simple things in life that make me happy. A 21" front wheel, TCK80s, 50ish horsepower and a foot of suspension travel is all I need. :)

Dougald

Ariel Ace R

B7XQonC.jpg

Bad news is, it costs £50,000. Though as it's made in Britain maybe you all can afford it if the exchange rate keeps dropping

Having driven an Ariel Atom I don't think I'd ever want to get on one of their motorbikes, I'd end up in a hedge immediately.

UMGAWA

Recently had my bike (sv650) stolen from a commuter carpark. With the possible outcome of getting a insurance claim I went and looked at a 2010 Triumph speed triple with 38k on the clocks, anyone here with a speed triple with that mileage?

Casual jacket - Rev'it Newton jacket. Again something I can wear on the bike to meetings and not look too out of place.

How does the jacket fit? I was looking at it but on revzilla it looked a bit to baggy in the video for my body type. I need a winter/fall jacket, granted I don't need anything super heavy here in socal. But mornings and evenings can get chilly.

Dougald

Quiet round here, damn this time of year. Here's a look at the "Speed Twin" Triumph are working on

5jsa7X4.jpg

You all know I love Triumph but I'm just not sure about this one. Just looks like they took the new T120 and bolted an old Street Triple front-end on. Which isn't inherently bad,
it's just not particularly exciting.

I'm just not sure who it's for. If you want a retro naked you buy the T120, if you want a retro bike with some more power there's the Thruxton, and if you want a Streetfighter then there are the Street/Speed Triple. Doesn't seem like a bike with a big market.

Recently had my bike (sv650) stolen from a commuter carpark. With the possible outcome of getting a insurance claim I went and looked at a 2010 Triumph speed triple with 38k on the clocks, anyone here with a speed triple with that mileage?

I think the stators in the Speed are about as reliable as the Street (so, not really). Other than that its fairly high miles but I can't see why it would be inherently bad as long as its been kept to its service schedules. My Bonneville had 27k on the clock and never missed a beat, while my Street Triple had 5k and broke down twice in 3 months, so I always take mileage with a pinch of salt.

Quiet round here, damn this time of year.

It is the time of year for projects though and we've managed to find the part we need to move ours forward again. We're pairing the Firebolt frame with the longer swingarm of the Ulysses whose engine we're also using (Firebolt engine is toast). That just meant we needed a bracket to bridge the longer gap (between swingarm and frame) for the Firebolt rear shock. After some searching we found something for that, should be here in a week or so. We also learned that the seat rails for the Ulysses are the same length as those on the XB12SS and STT variants, so we can just get a different rear light unit and seat to give it that more sporty look (over the standard Uly seat). Only thing we don't really know yet is what we're doing with the front. Think we're just going to keep the Uly light and instrumentcluster for the moment, though without the windscreen.

Here's a look at the "Street Twin" Triumph are working on

http://i.imgur.com/5jsa7X4.jpg

You all know I love Triumph but I'm just not sure about this one. Just looks like they took the new T120 and bolted an old Street Triple front-end on. Which isn't inherently bad, it's just not particularly exciting.

You're right, while a Street Twin sounds kinda exciting in theory, this execution seems fairly uninspired.

Dougald

Really excited to see what that Buell looks like when it all comes together! As for my projects, well... I've been putting off changing the alternator belt on the BMW for months, and I don't really have any current plans for the Ducati. Frankly it hasn't moved from underneath its cover in 3 weeks, and with the potential exception of the Christmas Toy run next week, won't be until its service in February.

Yeah, I'll post some pics when we get going again.

Here are some of the bike pics (or pics with bikes in them) I shot in Iran. Couldn't get that many good ones since I constantly had to keep up with the busy mosque/some-old-palace visiting schedule (but I like the fourth and last pic).

I've been testing out the heated grips on the DL1000. Did 30 minutes last night in ~38F/3C weather, not too bad. Tips of thumbs don't get a lot of contact, otherwise quite bearable with the A* Archer.

Dougald

Awesome pics Fallout, thanks for sharing

I've been testing out the heated grips on the DL1000. Did 30 minutes last night in ~38F/3C weather, not too bad. Tips of thumbs don't get a lot of contact, otherwise quite bearable with the A* Archer.

Heated gloves are better for the thumbs, but I never end up wearing mine when I need them the most. Heated Grips are the way to go for sure. I'd get some for the Monster but apparently they can mess with Ducati's ride by wire throttle (because of course they do)

Heated gloves are better for the thumbs, but I never end up wearing mine when I need them the most. Heated Grips are the way to go for sure. I'd get some for the Monster but apparently they can mess with Ducati's ride by wire throttle (because of course they do)

My dealer wanted me to get heated gloves because he's a nice guy and they are a lot cheaper (several hours of labor for the installation on the DL for the grips), but I hate fiddling with shit getting on/off the bike and for whatever reason current in the gloves creeps me out.

I also had the hand guards installed at the same time and that's probably helped out a lot too. Need to decide whether to get the touring shield in the spring when the serious riding starts again.

Dougald

My dealer wanted me to get heated gloves because he's a nice guy and they are a lot cheaper (several hours of labor for the installation on the DL for the grips), but I hate fiddling with shit getting on/off the bike and for whatever reason current in the gloves creeps me out.

I also had the hand guards installed at the same time and that's probably helped out a lot too. Need to decide whether to get the touring shield in the spring when the serious riding starts again.

The wifes R1150R has the stock BMW heated grips and handguards, it's luxurious. Even in the cold this time of year, it's only my thumbs that feel it.

Riding the Ducati with no wind protection at all is like sticking your hands in ice water

UMGAWA

I think the stators in the Speed are about as reliable as the Street (so, not really). Other than that its fairly high miles but I can't see why it would be inherently bad as long as its been kept to its service schedules. My Bonneville had 27k on the clock and never missed a beat, while my Street Triple had 5k and broke down twice in 3 months, so I always take mileage with a pinch of salt.

I'm in two minds about getting the used speed triple or waiting for the price of the 2017 MT09 (FZ09) or going all out and getting a new speed triple.

Very nearly chickened out, but I took the bike today. Sadly it was every bit as cold as I had feared. Hour there, an hour back. Now enjoying the comfort of a hot water bottle.

img_20161124_132017k4sex.jpg

I'm in two minds about getting the used speed triple or waiting for the price of the 2017 MT09 (FZ09) or going all out and getting a new speed triple.

If going all out is an option anyway, why not try the MT10 as well? In terms of how well equipped it is, might make for a more interesting comparison to the Speed than the MT09.

UMGAWA

If going all out is an option anyway, why not try the MT10 as well? In terms of how well equipped it is, might make for a more interesting comparison to the Speed than the MT09.

There's only a small chance the minister of finances allows for "going all out" but you have a point.

Dougald

That Autumn/Winter sun is inviting but now I'm freezing.

Unlike both my previous Triumphs in the cold, the Ducati did start up first time with no fuss

Great news, you are on to a winner. I see BMW launched there own heated jacket that plugs directly into the port. So no need to connect extra cables and controllers to the battery. Going to have to go and check it out the next time I am down at Bahnstormer.

Have a great ride

31301805965_6507924830_b.jpg

Woodcraft stator cover installed to replace the damaged one, fresh oil in the bike as well. It still won't start, but I'm pretty sure now that's due to old gas. Gonna have to siphon that out and try with some fresh gas, instead.

31301805965_6507924830_b.jpg

Woodcraft stator cover installed to replace the damaged one, fresh oil in the bike as well. It still won't start, but I'm pretty sure now that's due to old gas. Gonna have to siphon that out and try with some fresh gas, instead.

Looks good, did you manage to get it started yet?

Stevey

Put new pads, pistons and seals on front brake of the Firebolt last week.
Will need a new back tyre before spring as well.

also, fuck this cold and rain here in wa state. took the thrux out any way, and hey, thrice did i praise the traction control for saving me from a lowside and a pair of crazy fishtails.

There is only really one thing I dislike about the bike 6 months in, and that's the absolutely abysmal handling at low speeds. The engine sputters and grumbles under 10mph, even in urban mode

that kept me from flinging stupid cash at a hypermotard 939, even tho i loved it. it stumbled and lurched without heavy clutch feathering at under 25 tho. ugh. if i lived somewhere not surrounded by traffic, i'd be perched on one of those hooligan toys right now. best stoppers EVER.

oh, since i'm here: i tuned the thrux and added a new airbox and pipes, and the dyno reported 97 hp and 80 ft lbs at the rear wheel. +10 hp and +5 ft lbs over stock! my tuner, nels, said the 1200 lump has even more room for tweaking and that it is super understressed and has REALLY conservative fueling out the crate. hope triumph releases that racing cam so i can break 100 hp easylike...

OraleeWey

Yeah it's getting colder. I found out the hard way my balaclava isn't effective keeping my neck not cold :(

Anyway, I was just curious and I'll take this opportunity to ask. How do you guys lean?

3ahbp40.jpg

Just curious

Yeah it's getting colder. I found out the hard way my balaclava isn't effective keeping my neck not cold :(

Anyway, I was just curious and I'll take this opportunity to ask. How do you guys lean?

3ahbp40.jpg

Just curious

Kinda depends on the bike too. On my (more upright) Ulysses I sometimes lean away as well. But mostly I'm like the one on the right. Leaning into it while keeping the bike more upright.

I probably should look into some professional training on that front as it's likely that I have developed a couple of bad habits over the years.

Dougald

All I know is whenever I leaned away like in the centre image when I was learning, my instructor would yell at me. But that guy yelled about a lot of things.

I tend to just lean with the bike and concentrate on counter-steering, that's generally more than enough for the road

The center photo looks to me like a motorX style/ dakar, the right photo looks like track riding. I am also just going with the bike but in the current weather and greasy roads I try not to lean to much.

Flo_Evans

The center photo looks to me like a motorX style/ dakar, the right photo looks like track riding. I am also just going with the bike but in the current weather and greasy roads I try not to lean to much.

Leaning the bike under you is proper off road technique. Can't really hang off the inside when dodging trees :)

Centered is fine for most street/touring. I do hang off to the inside when really going swiftly but its more for fun/style on the road.

(speaking about road riding here)

Leaning into the turn is useful on road or track if you're counter-steering due to the effect of lowering the center of gravity. It will allow you to keep the bike more upright, which has a number of advantages. I'm not talking about hanging off in an exaggerated fashion, but leaning the top half of your body to the inside. With body position and quick turn-in technique (along with picking a good line), I went from having zero chicken strips on my rear tire back to nearly an inch, but I was going just as fast in turns if not quicker. If speed benefit is not of concern, stability benefit may be. Just my .02.

OraleeWey

I'm contemplating whether to commute in 28 degrees Fahrenheit (-2.2 celcius) or not... Can't say if its too cold or not since I've no experience.

Dougald

I'm contemplating whether to commute in 28 degrees Fahrenheit (-2.2 celcius) or not... Can't say if its too cold or not since I've no experience.

Depends how warm your gear is and how long the commute is!

I find you really start regretting things at that temperature after about 30 minutes, or an hour if I have heated grips on the bike

OraleeWey

Honestly it wasn't that bad. I had a few layers under my jacket. If my helmet didn't leak air, and my neck and quadriceps were better protected I could withstand a few degrees less. But I did see some ice though, which I expected because there's always water on that spot. So it's not worth it when there's a chance of ice.

OraleeWey

What spot?

Actually I can show you. I took this picture a while back.

The road goes left then right and after that hard right there's always some ice. This company with a truck waters plants and that's where the water comes from.

20161204_125058-1eeayc.jpg

I think it's not worth it though. I have seen ice on the highway before.

Edit: Nothing beats being able to get on the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane though and going trough traffic getting to work on on time or earlier.

One warm winter day (low 50s in Fahrenheit) I was out riding, and I was meeting up with a friend. Going through his neighborhood, I was pulling up to a stop sign and hit a sheet of ice. I nearly dropped it, but luckily saved it. The townhouses in that neighborhood are very tall and blocked out the sun from hitting the ice patch. Ice sucks dick!

OraleeWey

One warm winter day (low 50s in Fahrenheit) I was out riding, and I was meeting up with a friend. Going through his neighborhood, I was pulling up to a stop sign and hit a sheet of ice. I nearly dropped it, but luckily saved it. The townhouses in that neighborhood are very tall and blocked out the sun from hitting the ice patch. Ice sucks dick!

They must have been scary.

Damaged

I've done the winter bike commute for years now, thankfully my trip has shortened to 8 miles a day from 90.

I don't mind the cold so much but the constant wet roads in the UK even if it hasn't been raining are a pain, I fitted a new rear tyre last week and its taking me an age to bed it in with the conditions being so slippy :( By all accounts though we get off pretty easy here compared to allot of places

Top Bottom