• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

OraleeWey

So, I'll be taking a spontaneous family trip to the beach for the 4th of July long weekend (a much needed trip/small vacation)... I won't be able to take my motorcycle because driving will be done overnight because of reasons and after a 16 hour shift. That's just something that I wouldn't be able to do.

I am sad.

200w.gif

So I'm looking for something <$5k and <500cc, ish.

There are used Ninja 300s with ABS for around $4k, or R3s without ABS for about the same. I'm thinking perhaps the former?

I miss my old Ninja 250, it was so much fun to redline/WOT every gear and not be speeding. CBR500R is another option but there aren't many around and they're a bit more expensive. I think I would prefer the high revving character of the Kawis/Yamahas.

edit: my last bike was an SV650 but I never felt nearly as confident on that as I did on my 250. Never could get as smooth, though I also put in way less seat time due to life things.

There are used Ninja 300s with ABS for around $4k, or R3s without ABS for about the same. I'm thinking perhaps the former?

I miss my old Ninja 250, it was so much fun to redline/WOT every gear and not be speeding. CBR500R is another option but there aren't many around and they're a bit more expensive. I think I would prefer the high revving character of the Kawis/Yamahas.

edit: my last bike was an SV650 but I never felt nearly as confident on that as I did on my 250. Never could get as smooth, though I also put in way less seat time due to life things.

If you're after something more confidence inspiring I would go with the Ninja 300 with ABS option. I've not needed it yet but glad all my bikes have ABS. The Ninja 300 by all accounts is a cracking little bike. Depends also if you're going to do many highway miles. If you are I'd suggest going slightly bigger to the 500cc.

Back to the topic of helmets, I tried on the new Schuberth C4 on the weekend.

Pros
- looks great, the matte blue especially
- amazingly slick integrated (optional) Sena system (antenna and speakers/mic in helmet already)
- super premium materials make it very comfortable
- Very smooth modular mechanism and drop down internal sun visor

Cons
- Pretty heavy (it is modular)
- Damn expensive (plain colours £550, patterns £600)
- Integrated Sena unit is pretty expensive too

I'm tempted but really want them to release an S3 (or S2 plus) or something that includes the new Sena integration.

shortcomings

Neo Member

I'm in a similar situation, but it's going to be my first bike. Will probably get a z300, mt03 or cb500f,leaning more towards the honda because it seems more motorcycle for about the same price, and will most likely be to keep for some years.

If you're after something more confidence inspiring I would go with the Ninja 300 with ABS option. I've not needed it yet but glad all my bikes have ABS. The Ninja 300 by all accounts is a cracking little bike. Depends also if you're going to do many highway miles. If you are I'd suggest going slightly bigger to the 500cc.
Thanks for the input.

I'm in a similar situation, but it's going to be my first bike. Will probably get a z300, mt03 or cb500f,leaning more towards the honda because it seems more motorcycle for about the same price, and will most likely be to keep for some years.
What price are you seeing for the CB500F?

nico1982

CBR500R is another option but there aren't many around and they're a bit more expensive.
Will probably get a z300, mt03 or cb500f,leaning more towards the honda because it seems more motorcycle for about the same price, and will most likely be to keep for some years.
I would get the Honda on tyres size alone: 120/70 and 160/60, that is plenty of options available from every manufacturer.

Dougald

Back to the topic of helmets, I tried on the new Schuberth C4 on the weekend.

Pros
- looks great, the matte blue especially
- amazingly slick integrated (optional) Sena system (antenna and speakers/mic in helmet already)
- super premium materials make it very comfortable
- Very smooth modular mechanism and drop down internal sun visor

Cons
- Pretty heavy (it is modular)
- Damn expensive (plain colours £550, patterns £600)
- Integrated Sena unit is pretty expensive too

I'm tempted but really want them to release an S3 (or S2 plus) or something that includes the new Sena integration.

Is it actually a manufactured by Sena? That's really interesting as I use a Sena at the moment, it would make like a lot easier to pair with my wife and friends who use Sena units

How much is the bluetooth? Couple hundred quid extra?

Dougald

You know what they say, in America, 100 years is a long time, and in England 100 miles is a long way

Speaking of which, I'll be riding past Stonehenge which is is 5000 years old... and thoroughly underwhelming in person. Off for a little jaunt to Cheddar and a pub lunch.

And here's my English self wondering if it's worth the hour and a half down to Somerset next week

Yeah, I probably shouldn't complain as much about living in the Netherlands either. It's just 2.5 hours to Maastricht, and from there you're just a stones throw away from the Eifel. Pretty good riding.

How do you like your ST? I'm trying to decide between a GTI, ST, and WRX by October and actually was wondering about using a trailer hitch with each. Any issues?

I'm leaning towards the GTI at the moment, but need to drive the ST. Love the wheels on that - the 402 package?

GONZO

How do you like your ST? I'm trying to decide between a GTI, ST, and WRX by October and actually was wondering about using a trailer hitch with each. Any issues?

I'm leaning towards the GTI at the moment, but need to drive the ST. Love the wheels on that - the 402 package?

I owned GTIs for 13 years. I love them, I test drove the ST and I liked the way it performed even better. It tows great. I can average 25 mpg while towing. And yes that's the 402 trim level. Thanks for the trailer compliment, it's a kendon folding trailer. My garage space is tight so I wanted something that could fold away for storage. It's the most stable and quiet trailer I've ever owned.

Dougald, your friend is nuts! Thruxton R is on my short list for my daily rider bike. It's amazing!

My friend is selling his Thruxton R having only put 200 miles on it. There is no justice in this world

Man, how come?

Thanks for the trailer compliment, it's a kendon folding trailer. My garage space is tight so I wanted something that could fold away for storage. It's the most stable and quiet trailer I've ever owned.

No problem. And yeah, I bet it must ride nice. My motolug solution also folds away (can take it apart entirely), but it's a lot more flimsy than what I'm seeing here.

Dougald

Man, how come?

Just doesn't ride it, claims he hasn't the time but as I said, if he really wanted to ride he'd find the time. No point having a severely depreciating asset sitting about

Yet weirdly now he's talking about getting a Guzzi, so I don't know! Maybe the Triumph just doesn't have "it" for him

Is it actually a manufactured by Sena? That's really interesting as I use a Sena at the moment, it would make like a lot easier to pair with my wife and friends who use Sena units

How much is the bluetooth? Couple hundred quid extra?
Yes it's Sena https://www.schuberth.com/en/products/motorbikes/communication-systems/sc1-standard.html

And there are 2 options. One is £190 or so and one £280 ish. Difference is a higher range, FM Radio, and music sharing to another headset. You can also get a handlebar mounted remote.

Maedre

Banned
I'm in europe. List prices are 5950 for the honda and 5500 for the yamaha, both with ABS.
Man, there are so many choices it's ridiculous. I'm very keen on the honda, but 650cc bikes are 1k more so there's that :/
I use an CB500 F and I can really recommend this bike for this Price. It so damn reliable.

OraleeWey

I wish this state would have more steel plate warnings.

Those steel plates extend out to the main road. I also have to be careful around curving bridges because they use metals to join the bridges and they don't warn you in advance. I'm pretty sure that anyone riding around that one bridge on a rainy day will lose grip.

... Found the culprit on Google maps.

You can see the metal just behind that car.

OraleeWey

I'll be watching some videos on how to do my chain slack. I think it's time to do it myself. Anyone here wanna give me some tips/advice? I know that there's also another step to it, tire balance, how do I make sure I get it right or proper? Is there a tool I can use that you guys prefer? One specific question I have, do I havw have to remove all the weight possible (side panniers) to do the chain slack? I know the manual says to do it while the bike is on the kickstand. I've got 1,600 miles on the bike. Last time it was done it was 900 miles ago. I think my chain slack is actually not too out of spec. Based on the visual aids I've seen on YouTube, it's not that bad.

One thing seeing drivers on their phones (so common it's hardly noteworthy), but seeing a BT man on his laptop is a first.

There's a woman right next to the driver's head. Is that a window or an advertisement?

I know the manual says to do it while the bike is on the kickstand. I've got 1,600 miles on the bike.

If it's not out of spec, it's not out of spec, doesn't really matter how many miles it's been; I just use the mileage (every 1000 myself) as a check guideline. I always do mine on a rear stand, just try to do even turns on each side, and use the notches to double check.

Was fun finding a 36mm socket for the DL1000 rear.

OraleeWey

If it's not out of spec, it's not out of spec, doesn't really matter how many miles it's been; I just use the mileage (every 1000 myself) as a check guideline. I always do mine on a rear stand, just try to do even turns on each side, and use the notches to double check.

Was fun finding a 36mm socket for the DL1000 rear.

Yeah, don't think it's out of spec. I'll just wait a little longer then. Hopefully I don't mess it up.

Dougald

I had a wonderful time at the Blade Ducati Abingdon grand opening today

img_17684nkbj.jpg

..oh yeah, instead of the promised test rides, entertainment, live music and refreshments, they had nothing, nothing, nothing and nothing. And it was closed.

Don't go to Blade Ducati Abingdon.

Dougald

What? Didn't they at least cancel the event on their facebook page or something?

Lol, nope, it's still up on their site too. Lots of disappointed looking Ducati owners showed up while I was working out that yes, it was the right day. The funny thing is they were throwing this to generate goodwill because they moved the dealer 45 minutes away

Had a good ride back though so not all lost, but I won't be going back there

Dougald

To be fair they're only the second worst dealer I've been to in this part of the country, I still hate Ducati Cambridge more

There is one other dealer within an hour of me, I'll have to try them out. Or give up an buy a BMW, as my local BMW place is excellent, even the sales department are actually nice.

I had a wonderful time at the Blade Ducati Abingdon grand opening today

img_17684nkbj.jpg

..oh yeah, instead of the promised test rides, entertainment, live music and refreshments, they had nothing, nothing, nothing and nothing. And it was closed.

Don't go to Blade Ducati Abingdon.

I wanted to go and have a look at the desert sled over the weekend at Blade Reading but then I remembered the service-less experience I had there the last time. Looks like a nice area and nice shop the guys just need to hype it up more.

Dougald

I wanted to go and have a look at the desert sled over the weekend at Blade Reading but then I remembered the service-less experience I had there the last time. Looks like a nice area and nice shop the guys just need to hype it up more.

Well Blade Reading shut down and moved to this dealership in Abingdon, so I shouldn't have been surprised really

I'm going to take my business to the Alton dealership I think.

Dougald

Alton is now closer as the crow flies, but they are both the same driving time from Reading

For Honda, there is a dealership in Crowthorne

nico1982

I want to share this story to you.

http://www.lastampa.it/2017/07/09/c...za-di-anni-p3rlMFf1NxdELXaVYU1OrI/pagina.html (italian only, I'm sorry).

The past weekend, a man returning home after a picnic with his wife and daughter had an alteraction with a biker. He pursued the bike with the van and ran over the motorcycle. The bike passenger is dead, the rider lost a leg and he's still critical. The driver was drunk (1.4 mg/l where 0.5 mg/l is the legal max).

If you ever get involved in a road rage incident, keep calm, attempt to defuse the situation. If you have to share the road with the other vehicle, keep it in front of you.

Above all, don't drink if you plan to driver or ride.

Top Bottom