• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

daw840

Rice Burners are generally referred to as Honda Civics, or something similar, with a bunch of fast and furious aftermarket shit on them around these parts. Never heard anyone call a sport bike that...

daw840 said:
Yeah....if crotch rockets are your thing those are pretty fucking sweet. I rode an R6 for about 8 hours in Hawaii. I don't think I want anything that aggressive. It was fun, but my back was fucked for like a week.

Which year? 04/05 were pretty comfy and were good street bikes, too. 06 and up I'd only ever consider for the track because they're really tall (33+ inch seat) and aggressive. Plus, extremely top end biased power. It's made for the track, and they're popular at the track, too.

"Crotch rocket" does sound like an old person term, but a lot of people of all ages around here will use it. Though, because of general ignorance, a lot of people think anything that is not a Harley must be a crotch rocket. I try to steer 'em right a little but eh.

daw840

thesoapster said:
Which year? 04/05 were pretty comfy and were good street bikes, too. 06 and up I'd only ever consider for the track because they're really tall (33+ inch seat) and aggressive. Plus, extremely top end biased power. It's made for the track, and they're popular at the track, too.

"Crotch rocket" does sound like an old person term, but a lot of people of all ages around here will use it. Though, because of general ignorance, a lot of people think anything that is not a Harley must be a crotch rocket. I try to steer 'em right a little but eh.

It was either a 09 or 10. Fun bike, horribly uncomfortable though.

daw840 said:
It was either a 09 or 10. Fun bike, horribly uncomfortable though.

Yeah. They're really nice looking, too. But that kind of bike is the type I'd want to hop on, run a 20-30 minute session at high speeds, and then hop right back off!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The fuck are some of you insecure about people saying "crotch rocket" for? It's not always used to insult the type of bike, and it's really no different than calling cruisers a "hog".

"Rice Burner" actually insults a race of humans.

thesoapster said:
What? Who is calling non Harley cruisers crotch rockets?
That is a dumb and wrong use.

DeathNote said:
What? Who is calling non Harley cruisers crotch rockets?
That is a dumb and wrong use.

Well, they'd probably just call them wannabes or copies or something. Any non-cruiser definitely will get called a crotch rocket. And yes, it's wrong. Most people know very little about motorcycles, so... :p

The term just annoys me. Part of it implies that all motorcyclist are idiots all the time. When it's often the same fucking grandmothers (who use it) that cut me off on a roundabout because they don't bother to look.

The same thing goes for calling sports car owners shallow or materialistic, as if there can't be genuine appreciation for a vehicle's beauty or engineering. It just reeks of jealousy and ignorance. It tends to rub me the wrong way.

daw840 said:
It's cool if you like the 2nd best american made motorcycle.

Here's a hint, Victory is far superior in almost every way. Just leave out the one that looks like a spaceship though. That thing is butt ugly. lol

Nah, I'm not a big fan of Polaris.

Mr Sandman said:
Around here it's pretty common, as is "bullet bike." Never heard it being used as an insult (like rice burners).

yeah, i mean... its referring to something that is fast like a rocket and is snug up against your crotch.

crotch rocket.

Fallout-NL said:
The term just annoys me. Part of it implies that all motorcyclist are idiots all the time. When it's often the same fucking grandmothers (who use it) that cut me off on a roundabout because they don't bother to look.

The same thing goes for calling sports car owners shallow or materialistic, as if there can't be genuine appreciation for a vehicle's beauty or engineering. It just reeks of jealousy and ignorance. It tends to rub me the wrong way.

I can agree with this sentiment. Generally the term comes off in a way that reeks of disapproval and ignorance.

Damaged

Not posted in here for ages :) got a new set of tyres for the Aprilia to get me (hopefully) through winter, read a load of reviews and ended up choosing the Dunlop Roadsmart's.

Really happy with the choice, had a couple of dry days to get them scrubbed in and its been raining since and the feel from them is barely any different in the wet, plenty of feedback and grip. Just hoping the snow holds of here in the UK as im not so certain that they would cope with that too well.

Anybody else in 2wheelgaf riding through the winter?

Damaged said:
Not posted in here for ages :) got a new set of tyres for the Aprilia to get me (hopefully) through winter, read a load of reviews and ended up choosing the Dunlop Roadsmart's.

Really happy with the choice, had a couple of dry days to get them scrubbed in and its been raining since and the feel from them is barely any different in the wet, plenty of feedback and grip. Just hoping the snow holds of here in the UK as im not so certain that they would cope with that too well.

Anybody else in 2wheelgaf riding through the winter?

Me...I love riding in the winter. But down here in Houston, it doesn't snow lol.

Damaged

RapidCancel said:
Me...I love riding in the winter. But down here in Houston, it doesn't snow lol.

Lol, yeah that's kind of cheating! mind you I wouldn't want to be riding in the heat you have in summer :)

Damaged

Fallout-NL said:
This is a sad day for motorsports, motogp, motorcyclists and humanity.

Not you, Marco Simoncelli :'(.
Yep, can't put into words how much this hurts :( Daijiro, Shoya, and now Marco :(

So since I've decided to make my 636 a track bike, I went ahead and picked up a new street bike.

ibhDIXc7KkdYpq.jpg

Picked it up last week, loving it. =]

Yessir, took me a little while to find a good conditioned 2005 one as the 04 we're known for bad generators. Yeah..I rode my friends before I bought mine, it's one of the reasons I wanted one lol ;) It's a monster.

AiTM

Banned
I loved my 09 Ninja 250, I sold it last Sept for 500 more than I payed for it. Im looking now for a 600. Hoping to buy it in Dec/Jan so I get one cheaper. Thinking of a 07-09 Kawasaki ZX6R. What do you guys think?

I want a sportbike and comfort is the most important to me. I like to do long rides by myself. I rode my cousins 07 GSXR600, and while I loved it, no way I could do an hour plus ride on that thing, I would be in pain.

daw840

I loved my 09 Ninja 250, I sold it last Sept for 500 more than I payed for it. Im looking now for a 600. Hoping to buy it in Dec/Jan so I get one cheaper. Thinking of a 07-09 Kawasaki ZX6R. What do you guys think?

I want a sportbike and comfort is the most important to me. I like to do long rides by myself. I rode my cousins 07 GSXR600, and while I loved it, no way I could do an hour plus ride on that thing, I would be in pain.

Maybe a Ninja 650R? Those are fun and comfortable I hear. Maybe even look into the SV1000 if you want some more kick out of a more standard bike.

Hmm, Suzuki's are know to be the most comfortable sportbikes you can get, 'comfortable' being a relative term. So I doubt the ZX6R will be any better in that regard.

Really, if you want to do long rides, go for a naked bike with a more relaxed riding position. In terms of power, most anything will be a step up from the 250, so no worries there. Though, be wary of the fact that a 4 cilinder, 16 valved, DOHC Kawa (like the ZX6R) is quite a huge jump from what you're used to.

AiTM

Banned
Hmm, Suzuki's are know to be the most comfortable sportbikes you can get, 'comfortable' being a relative term. So I doubt the ZX6R will be any better in that regard.

Really, if you want to do long rides, go for a naked bike with a more relaxed riding position. In terms of power, most anything will be a step up from the 250, so no worries there. Though, be wary of the fact that a 4 cilinder, 16 valved, DOHC Kawa (like the ZX6R) is quite a huge jump from what you're used to.

Yea the power of his gsxr is what sold me. The difference was night and day. It felt like I was cutting through the air when I let loose on it. I could only imagine a 1200cc.

His gsxr wasn't that uncomfortable, once you are on the road at higher speeds it's fine, but didn't feel near as good at residential speeds as my old 250. I thought about those 650s, I think I just need to go to a dealer and sit on some. Just hoping I don't get the come on strong saleman.

Yeah, they're built for different purposes. As always, it's best to just try a few bikes, see how they feel.

You could also consider something like a Yamaha FZ6F (the S2 versions), in terms of power they're close to the Suzuki GSXR600 (about 100hp), but geared towards torque. So you get the grunt earlier on, which is nice for everyday use. They also have a more comfortable riding position. Though they won't look as good as the sportsbikes.

If you want more comfort than a GSX-R you will not find it in another sportbike most likely. All sportbikes suffer at lower speeds and around town (well, I should say the rider suffers). I also recommend looking into sport standards/nakeds.

I like the motorsports colors (the red/white/blue from the M logo) best. I did two of the CSS levels on it. It's a nice bike.

Right now I'm really, really curious about how the Panigale will perform. Not because I will buy one, but they claim to have reinvented the whole thing. I've run down enough of the Superbikes on track and off that I'm not wholly convinced of the "pedigree". They look great (as does the 1199), but I want to see lap times. Shit, by that measure, the Fireblade is still one of the best bikes to buy.

If you want more comfort than a GSX-R you will not find it in another sportbike most likely. All sportbikes suffer at lower speeds and around town (well, I should say the rider suffers). I also recommend looking into sport standards/nakeds.

Most all of the new 600cc super sport models suck for comfort. Too track focused.

You might check out the new CBR600F. It's got ergos like the old F4i.
http://www.hondamc2012.com/bikes/cbr600f/

YZF600Rs are insanely comfortable. I could tour on them. But they are carbureted and no longer in production.

Yeah, they also went with an aluminum frame this time round, right?

Should be interesting.

Yeah they ditched the trellis frame. The new bike uses the engine as a stressed member with little sub frames attaching it to the headstock and swing arm.

Ironically, this design in CF monocoque vice aluminum, proved to be a disaster for their GP bike. So bad in fact the '12 GP bike I guess will be using a traditional twin spar aluminum frame, designed by Suter or someone. (Ducati has no experience designing this style)

The problem with this Panigale style of frame on the GP bike was that is gave no feedback. But it might turn out okay for superbikes that aren't using ridiculously stiff carcassed Bridgestones.

AiTM

Banned
Most all of the new 600cc super sport models suck for comfort. Too track focused.

You might check out the new CBR600F. It's got ergos like the old F4i.
http://www.hondamc2012.com/bikes/cbr600f/

YZF600Rs are insanely comfortable. I could tour on them. But they are carbureted and no longer in production.

Im looking at the Hondas now. Does it have to be a 2012? What years have that frame?

The only point of reference I have for comfort was my Ninja 250. Weak bike I know, but it really was comfortable to ride on, at least it wasn't painful. I guess im gonna borrow my cousins gsxr600 again and take it out a while to see how it feels after an hour.

Im looking at the Hondas now. Does it have to be a 2012? What years have that frame?

The only point of reference I have for comfort was my Ninja 250. Weak bike I know, but it really was comfortable to ride on, at least it wasn't painful. I guess im gonna borrow my cousins gsxr600 again and take it out a while to see how it feels after an hour.

That CBR600F is a new model. I think it's a 2012.

It is a throw back design to Honda's supersports before the CBR600RR came along. They used to sell the RR and the old F4i side by side. The F4i isn't as dedicated but it was a much better all around motorcycle. But they stopped making it about 5 years ago.

If you want comfort and you'll be riding more on the street than the track, the CBR600F is most likely the best new 600 I-4 available. People that say GSXR600s are comfortable, might be right in relation to an R6, but there are better choices.

If you don't want to buy a new CBR600F, get a nice used CBR600F4i. It's what the new CBR600F is based on.

Yeah they ditched the trellis frame. The new bike uses the engine as a stressed member with little sub frames attaching it to the headstock and swing arm.

Ironically, this design in CF monocoque vice aluminum, proved to be a disaster for their GP bike. So bad in fact the '12 GP bike I guess will be using a traditional twin spar aluminum frame, designed by Suter or someone. (Ducati has no experience designing this style)

The problem with this Panigale style of frame on the GP bike was that is gave no feedback. But it might turn out okay for superbikes that aren't using ridiculously stiff carcassed Bridgestones.

Riight. See, this is what I was thinking about the "frameless" design. Ducati really did not do well this past season in MotoGP...yet they won WSBK (on a bike with a trellis frame). Still, like you said, we'll have to see. Race bikes are just in a different world. One thing being how everything is brand new, I cannot imagine the year 1 issues that could show up. I actually do want it to succeed, though. I just want to see what comes after the hype train.

I love seeing these bikes roll down the street, but after my 998, I'm not buying a bike like that anymore anyway.

Don't get me wrong, all but idling at 160 km/h is pretty glorious. But they fucking nail you to the wall for that stuff round these parts. There's just no use for it unless you frequent the track.

Yes, and I have yet to sit on a Superbike that is not "track-oriented" (aka not comfortable), so if you cannot maintain good speeds you're going to have to spend a lot of time strangling the tank with your legs to sit comfortably. I would like to ride one, though. Since there are demo events for the 1199 I think I'm going to take advantage of that. Won't be able to do anything too crazy but it would be fun. So far the only Ducati I've ridden is a Multistrada 620, which is actually a really nice street machine I must say...very comfy and all.

Yeah, I wonder why they're no longer doing a 620 (or 696) version of the Multistrada. Those new 4 valved models are expensive as hell.

kylej

Banned
His gsxr wasn't that uncomfortable, once you are on the road at higher speeds it's fine, but didn't feel near as good at residential speeds as my old 250. I thought about those 650s, I think I just need to go to a dealer and sit on some. Just hoping I don't get the come on strong saleman.

Buying new for your second bike.

Ap4nV(2).gif

Buy a used bike for your second, if you don't like it, flip it back on Craigslist and try something else.

My first bike was new actually. But that's mainly because my dad didn't want me to get a feel for riding on something potentially unsafe.

Though yes, if you're buying new, you have to be sure you want to hang on to it for quite a while.

DerKomisar

Neo Member
Yeah, I wonder why they're no longer doing a 620 (or 696) version of the Multistrada. Those new 4 valved models are expensive as hell.

I don't think the MultiStrudel 620 sold very well. No dry clutch, less power, less resellable parts, lowers resale price, ect.

And just to add to the debate, Ducati riders call Japanese bikes "sewing machines" cause they're quiet and "soulless".

Top Bottom