• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Posted in the pickup thread, probably belonged here instead.

sv650_cl_1.jpg

2003 Suzuki SV650S. I've been looking for this particular bike for a long time; this color was only offered in '03, and the rear subframe was slightly higher in '03 compared to every other model year (at 6'1" this is a good thing for me).

Every other one I had looked at had been a train wreck. This one is pristine - just under 5,000 miles, no crashes, no signs of abuse. Bought it from a guy with three Ducatis who was just trying to make room in his garage.

Have a ZX14 shock, some new 0.95 kg/mm Race Tech fork springs, 20W fork oil, and frame sliders to install this weekend.

that is an '03?! wow, i recently bought an '08 and that looks like its in way better shape. (at least at time of purchase.) amazing.

Fired up my 93' Honda VT600C today and went for a 5 minute ride after it sat for about 2 months. Started up just fine!

Now to get a new chain and sprockets before I ride it regularly. Where would 2 wheel GAF get theirs?

There are a number of good brands out there, but I think the main thing is to get steel ones. Aluminum sprockets just do not hold up from many, many reports I've heard, seen, and read.

No plans for racing, if that's what you mean. Financially, track days are at least a year away for me.

Beyond upgrading the suspension to carry my 195lb weight around, it just needs all the fluids replaced and a slip-on. The radiator got tweaked in the one tip over the owner had, so I may replace that. It doesn't leak and it cools fine, but I'm OCD about my cars and bikes.

Well I meant mods and what not. =D

There are a number of good brands out there, but I think the main thing is to get steel ones. Aluminum sprockets just do not hold up from many, many reports I've heard, seen, and read.

I will keep that in mind. Aluminum just does not sound like it should be used in the first place.

Had no idea there was a motorcycle thread here. Cool.

Owner of a '05 636 in Magma red. Haven't ridden much in the last year. Hope to get on the saddle much more this year. My bike needs some work with the breaks and can probably use a all-around check up by a pro mechanic.

I've also taken it to the track twice. Once to Fontana speedway and the other to Willow Springs. Unbelievable experiences from start to finish. Anyone else track their bikes?

Had no idea there was a motorcycle thread here. Cool.

Owner of a '05 636 in Magma red. Haven't ridden much in the last year. Hope to get on the saddle much more this year. My bike needs some work with the breaks and can probably use a all-around check up by a pro mechanic.

I've also taken it to the track twice. Once to Fontana speedway and the other to Willow Springs. Unbelievable experiences from start to finish. Anyone else track their bikes?

There's a few of us here. I actually track an 05 636 and the first TD of the year is this weekend. Are you on stock brakes? Upgrade to Nissin calipers from the newer zx6r's for something really nice that won't break the bank.

Happy Valentines to me!

4ge3f.jpg

That is a beauty. I was test riding some Triumphs this summer with a friend who had just finished his MSF course (aka, he wasn't ready to be test riding brand new bikes yet). It did not end well for him. He ended up wrecking a bike just like your new one on his test ride.

Yeah, how did that work out? Was that bike owned/insured by an individual or a dealer?

That is still undetermined. At first they said he was going to have to buy the bike or pay the shop's deductible for the damages (which was a pretty high i think). This happened probably around September or October last year. He still hasn't paid them anything and I think has been avoiding contact with them and nothing has happened yet. This guy is kind of an idiot and prone to having bad things happen to him. I have a feeling that at some point this will come back to bite him in the ass. I could be wrong though, maybe the shops insurance covered it and he's off the hook.

whatbrown

Banned
I just picked up my first bike! It is a 1991 Kawasaki EX 500 (most recently called a Ninja 500R). It is a little rough cosmetically, but it runs great and I got it for $780. I can't wait to gain some experience on this bike and then step up to a late model 600cc or maybe a Triumph Daytona 675.

I just picked up my first bike! It is a 1991 Kawasaki EX 500 (before it was called the Ninja 500 and Ninja 500R). It is a little rough cosmetically, but it runs great and I got it for $780. I can't wait to gain some experience on this bike and then step up to a late model 600cc or maybe a Triumph Daytona 675.

Hehe, the Daytona's quite a handful :D, but congrats on the Ninja.

I just picked up my first bike! It is a 1991 Kawasaki EX 500 (most recently called a Ninja 500R). It is a little rough cosmetically, but it runs great and I got it for $780. I can't wait to gain some experience on this bike and then step up to a late model 600cc or maybe a Triumph Daytona 675.

Congrats. Picked up a 95 EX500D last may myself. Can't wait for it to get nice out again. Always wear your gear.

Dougald

Happy Valentines to me!

4ge3f.jpg

That's wonderful! I have the exact same bike in "goodwood" green, but you're making me jealous there with how shiny yours is!

The weather here in the UK is finally nudging back around the 10C mark, and I took the bike to work for the first time this year on Friday. I had completely forgotten how much more fun it is than driving, and assuming the weather holds (and I get a couple new tyres fitted) I'll be trying to ride every day from now on. The fuel savings (£80/month) alone make it worthwhile!

Discusguy

At the end of the last riding season I decided to do some work on my bike. I bought a mid pipe and Leo Vince SBK exhaust and converted my bike to a full exhaust. Shaved off about 20lbs. Love the way the bike sounds now. I also had painted my lower ferrings flat black. I have yet to finish putting the decals that I have on my bike. Its '07 R6.

I see people riding right now in 45 degree wealther but I'm not one of them people. I like riding when its warmer out. At least in the upper 50s.

This is a work thats slightly still in progress. Thinking I should paint the exhaust in flat black also along with the passenger foot pegs.

http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z325/compile08/?action=view&current=WP_000077.jpg

Dre3001

So after months of searching I have finally bought a bike and can join 2-wheel gaf.

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r Special Edition

Only had 2300 miles on it so basically still a brand new bike

Pic1.jpg

Need to get my endorsement on my license but have ridden some dirt bikes in the past so I guess im not starting off completely lost.

Kaze13

I have a 675 in scorched yellow. Love it.

Damaged

Well it looks like winter is on its way out here and the Aprilia has survived quite well :) got its 12000 mile service next week and the warranty will get me a new exhaust, brake master cylynder cover and left engine casing. Looking forward to having a fresh feeling bike again and the dealer said he is going to let me have an RSV4 as my loan bike for the day :)

Well it looks like winter is on its way out here and the Aprilia has survived quite well :) got its 12000 mile service next week and the warranty will get me a new exhaust, brake master cylynder cover and left engine casing. Looking forward to having a fresh feeling bike again and the dealer said he is going to let me have an RSV4 as my loan bike for the day :)

South-Park-nice.jpg

So after months of searching I have finally bought a bike and can join 2-wheel gaf.

Pic1.jpg

Need to get my endorsement on my license but have ridden some dirt bikes in the past so I guess im not starting off completely lost.

Nice bike! I see you also got a fender eliminator and 2 Bros exhaust as well. Those sound great!

Pic1.jpg

Very nice bike. Looks slick.

Dre3001

Thanks for the comments

Taking the MSF course this weekend for my endorsement I cant wait.

Question for those who live in warmer climates. I live in FL and was wondering what do people living in warmer climates usually wear for gear in the heat. I am definitely getting gloves but was wondering what is usually better when it comes to jackets and riding in hot weather. Is Textile or Mesh usually better?? I know leather would be the best protection but it would unbearable in FL summers.

Also what do people wear for pants in the summer?? It usually stays in the 80s and 90s around here for spring and summer with heavy humidity so what is best to not be sweating your ass off.

Thanks for the comments

Taking the MSF course this weekend for my endorsement I cant wait.

Question for those who live in warmer climates. I live in FL and was wondering what do people living in warmer climates usually wear for gear in the heat. I am definitely getting gloves but was wondering what is usually better when it comes to jackets and riding in hot weather. Is Textile or Mesh usually better?? I know leather would be the best protection but it would unbearable in FL summers.

Also what do people wear for pants in the summer?? It usually stays in the 80s and 90s around here for spring and summer with heavy humidity so what is best to not be sweating your ass off.

You can get perforated leather, though I don't think it makes that big of a difference in the temperature department versus non-perforated leather. You really just need to find a jacket with sufficient venting and options for getting the heat out without sacrificing protection. I wear a textile with quite a few vents and it's ok, though I do tend to sweat once the temperature gets past 25C. I've come to live with it, especially when you're riding in humidity. You can't do much about humid riding outside of being in motion.

Pants wise.. deal with it. There's no good option in this area without removing most of the protection on your legs.

To be honest, if you really love riding you'll only notice how hot you are when you stop or finish riding.

Az

Can some of you guys explain the counter steering/taking corners to me. I get the gest of it but tips for safe cornering would be great before I go take the class.

kylej

Banned
I live in FL and was wondering what do people living in warmer climates usually wear for gear in the heat. I am definitely getting gloves but was wondering what is usually better when it comes to jackets and riding in hot weather. Is Textile or Mesh usually better?? I know leather would be the best protection but it would unbearable in FL summers.

Mesh for hot ass weather.

Can some of you guys explain the counter steering/taking corners to me. I get the gest of it but tips for safe cornering would be great before I go take the class.

Don't worry about it. You'll learn to counter steer without even thinking about it.

Damaged

Well had the service done on the bike but ended up with the RSV4 engined Tuono as a loan bike instead of the RSV4 itself:

Wirral-20120306-00058.jpg

Personally I think its one of the ugliest bikes I have ever ridden but the engine and suspension were stunning, so damn fast but without a proper fairing I felt limited to the speeds I could do. The other major downside was the seat, I thought after years of riding dirt bikes that I was quite used to hard seat but this is stupid. There is no give in the seat at all so even with the straight bars and a more traditional riding style I was in agony after 80 miles.

Is that tuned differently, or is it the exact same engine?

I had a very short testride on a friend's RSV Mille once (which was turned into a Tuono), the way that thing delivered its power was absolutely fucking savage. It gave me a similar feeling of unease.

Yeah, best not to think about that, it'll come naturally. But the principle is something like this: forcibly steering (as in turning the handlebars in a direction), doesn't work. What you do is (when you want to turn left), give a little push on the left part of the handlebar to the right, pretend you're tipping the bike over it's center of gravity. Then, when the bike sort of commences a shift in weight, lean with it to the left. That should result in a movement to the left.

It's hard to explain, but I think that's sort of how it works.

It's also possible to change direction just by shifting your own weight, with your hands off the handlebars. That's more of a neat trick for driving instructors, but it does illustrate that slight changes in balance are crucial when it comes to maneuvering a bike.

Damaged

I had a very short testride on a friend's RSV Mille once (which was turned into a Tuono), the way that thing delivered its power was absolutely fucking savage. It gave me a similar feeling of unease.

I think the gearing is different but its putting out similar power. It starts at about 3 thou then picks up quick at 6 and goes mental at 10.

The thing has traction control and wheelie control and without them on it was ferocious, just too much for the road, with tc at mid way and the wheelie control at mid way it was more useable but still wild. Honestly I think I could go faster in the bends on my Dorsoduro just because the bike is much more useable

You can get perforated leather, though I don't think it makes that big of a difference in the temperature department versus non-perforated leather. You really just need to find a jacket with sufficient venting and options for getting the heat out without sacrificing protection. I wear a textile with quite a few vents and it's ok, though I do tend to sweat once the temperature gets past 25C. I've come to live with it, especially when you're riding in humidity. You can't do much about humid riding outside of being in motion.

Pants wise.. deal with it. There's no good option in this area without removing most of the protection on your legs.

To be honest, if you really love riding you'll only notice how hot you are when you stop or finish riding.

No, perforation makes a huge difference - at least on a bike with a windscreen where you actually feel wind hitting you. I can still be comfortable on 90F days with my perforated jacket. My non-perforated one turns into an oven. I still recommend leather jackets to anyone over textile.

And to the new rider, how do you know you cannot stand leather? I will tell you it does not matter what jacket you are wearing if you get caught in traffic and cannot move. You will bake. Perforation is really nice to flow air. I do not recommend mesh jackets as they will disintegrate if you go down.

I've also found that perforated jackets seem to "keep" a little a better since there is that much more air flowing inside.

Az

Some amazing bikes you guys posted here. I am certainly in love with the Monsters, the Street Triple and the HD Sportster Iron 883. Oh my sexiness...

//B1G

Banned
i'm kind of into cafe racers so i've been digging through the troves that are craigslist ads and found a few i've responded to. this kawasaki being basically my dream bike, even if the checkers are a bit on the wack side

dude's only asking $2500 for it and it's basically totally rebuilt. pretty damn good deal

5Fe5Md5Jd3L73J63H1c1vd84196666fc71b5f.jpg
5K25P35M43F33Id3N4c1vd3187e14c1621047.jpg

5Ff5Hf5J13L83J83Nfc1ve1a74d663afa15ed.jpg
5La5G75Fc3Kb3Ie3J9c1v0067f068303516f2.jpg

The RSV4 Factory has servo controlled adjustable length intake runners, the Tuono's intakes are fixed length, like the normal RSV4. The cam profiles are different as well. It is supposed to have more mid range than the RSV4, at the expense of about 20hp on the top end.

I ride an RSV Mille. Yeah the brutal torque delivery is nice. :)

Looks like I'll finally be picking up a KTM Superduke pretty soon. I've been dreaming of getting one for years, and it looks like I can finally make it happen now. Just look at this beast (not the best photo, just grabbed the first one off google):

SuperDuke_990_HGweiss.jpg

120HP from a 990cc V2 engine, ~180kgs... Can't wait! =)

daw840

Posted in the pickup thread, probably belonged here instead.

sv650_cl_1.jpg

2003 Suzuki SV650S. I've been looking for this particular bike for a long time; this color was only offered in '03, and the rear subframe was slightly higher in '03 compared to every other model year (at 6'1" this is a good thing for me).

Every other one I had looked at had been a train wreck. This one is pristine - just under 5,000 miles, no crashes, no signs of abuse. Bought it from a guy with three Ducatis who was just trying to make room in his garage.

Have a ZX14 shock, some new 0.95 kg/mm Race Tech fork springs, 20W fork oil, and frame sliders to install this weekend.

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

Well, I was banned when you posted this and it really pissed me off. This is my new bike. Almost exactly the same bike.....except for a pesky additional 350 CCs, and a belly pan. I absolutely love this bike. I have plans for some Heli-Bars that will bring the bars up 2 inches and rearward 1 inch. Makes for a little less stressful riding position.

Looks like I'll finally be picking up a KTM Superduke pretty soon. I've been dreaming of getting one for years, and it looks like I can finally make it happen now. Just look at this beast (not the best photo, just grabbed the first one off google):

SuperDuke_990_HGweiss.jpg

120HP from a 990cc V2 engine, ~180kgs... Can't wait! =)

Beautiful machine, be sure to report back here once you've gotten your hands on it.

pick it up Tuesday...very excited! 2012 Ninja 650r

yI3J3.jpg

Nice, enjoy.

The RSV4 Factory has servo controlled adjustable length intake runners, the Tuono's intakes are fixed length, like the normal RSV4. The cam profiles are different as well. It is supposed to have more mid range than the RSV4, at the expense of about 20hp on the top end.

I ride an RSV Mille. Yeah the brutal torque delivery is nice. :)

Do you ever get to a point where you trust the bike? :D

IMAG0217.jpg

Well, I was banned when you posted this and it really pissed me off. This is my new bike. Almost exactly the same bike.....except for a pesky additional 350 CCs, and a belly pan. I absolutely love this bike. I have plans for some Heli-Bars that will bring the bars up 2 inches and rearward 1 inch. Makes for a little less stressful riding position.

Is it an SV1000?

Top Bottom