• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20,000 sign OpenIV petition as GTA 5 is hammered with negative Steam reviews

GleefulSlimyAmoeba-size_restricted.gif

In the wake of Take-Two Interactive's shutdown of popular GTA modding tool OpenIV, fans of GTA mods (and really, who isn't a fan of GTA mods, except for Take-Two, apparently) are doing what they can to make their voices heard. Visiting Steam's store page for Grand Theft Auto 5, the fallout is immediately evident. Rockstar's widely-acclaimed action sandbox has enjoyed cool-blue 'Mostly Positive' Steam reviews since its release, but 'recent' review scores now rate the game with the angry-red 'Mostly Negative'.

Currently, only 21% of the 23,000 reviews in the past 30 days are listed as positive, and scrolling down the 'most helpful' list of reviews, there are more thumbs-downs than a theater packed with Roger Ebert clones sitting through a Rob Schneider film festival.

More at the link:
http://www.pcgamer.com/20000-sign-openiv-petition-as-gta-5-is-hammered-with-negative-steam-reviews/

Petition:
https://www.change.org/p/rockstar-games-save-openiv

As they should.

Given how GTA development has stagnated outside of their multiplayer events, R* should be punished for stifling the mod community that kept the game alive on PC for countless years.

TissueBox

That was fast and it's great to see such passion... but I doubt Rockstar/TT will give a flock. :p

Hoping for the best though.

The game has already hit critical mass in terms of sales. It'll take a lot for Rockstar to change. They're already rolling in their money.

Maxinas

The game has already hit critical mass in terms of sales. It'll take a lot for Rockstar to change. They're already rolling in their money.

This. Rockstar/Take Two don't give a shit, and people will continue buying the game and playing online.

How many copies of GTAV they sold so far 20+ million if not more(i am guessing), 23,000 is nothing lol. They are looking at this and saying "ok bye! see you again when you leave a positive review for RDR2 (if that comes on PC)".

King_Moc

Banned
They've sold 80 million copies. They don't need to listen to pc peasants anymore.

I'm being facetious, but seriously, they fucking hate you. Cut them loose.

LowRoller

How many copies of GTAV they sold so far 20+ million if not more(i am guessing), 23,000 is nothing lol. They are looking at this and saying "ok bye! see you again when you leave a positive review for RDR2 (if that comes on PC)".
This. Gtav has sold 75+million copies, I doubt Rockstar gives a shit about this petition

All Rockstar has to do at this point is just wait it out. Eventually, people will stop talking about it, and the recent reviews will blow over. It's still 73% positive overall.

I predict that by the end of the day, though, it'll dip to Overwhelmingly Negative recent reviews. What that'll change vs Mostly Negative, I dunno.

People are quick to dismiss people protesting about something and claim that they don't care, but if they really didn't give a damn about what the community have to say then why would Rockstar respond to the situation?

PC Gamer - Here's Rockstar's statement about Take-Two shutting down GTA's OpenIV modding tool (Updated)

While we have not received a comment from Take-Two, Rockstar just sent PC Gamer its statement on the matter. Here it is in full:

"Take-Two's actions were not specifically targeting single player mods. Unfortunately OpenIV enables recent malicious mods that allow harassment of players and interfere with the GTA Online experience for everybody. We are working to figure out how we can continue to support the creative community without negatively impacting our players."

Meanwhile, Take-Two declined to comment further.

If you don't say anything people will just walk all over you, or be oblivious to certain things.

Vocal communities like this are good, if the reviews have to get hammered then so be it. It's about sending a message.

Vocal communities opened Bandai Namco's and Sega's eyes to the market available on the PC, they expressed their disapproval for paid mods which caused them to get pulled. (Which may have recently made a return).

There are many other things vocal communities have done which have lead to positive things.

What became of some of them? Sega brought more games to PC, Dark Souls and it's sequels came to PC, many publishers have since acknowledged that there is a huge market for their games on PCs, and that's because the community was vocal about it.

EDIT: I would like to mention that I am for the concept of compensating mod creators, how a lot of people handled the paid mods thing was wrong, including attacking mod creators for getting involved and advocating for it's removal entirely. This was actually a bad thing overall, as adjustments weren't made to the system and people had conflicting interests. Perhaps this is a showcase of a bad outcome from the vocal community?

My issue with it was that I thought the cut of mod creators was a bit low. Mods have helped sell copies of games, an example would be a mod such as DayZ for Arma 2.

Fortunately it appears to have returned in a more polished state, with Bethesda's Creators Club, I'd like to see what becomes of it.

fernoca

As they should.

Given how GTA development has stagnated outside of their multiplayer events, R* should be punished for stifling the mod community that kept the game alive on PC for countless years.
Punishment would be the millions of Steam GTA gamers demanding a refund under the grounds of buying the game because of the modding community and now been locked out of that....and said refunds been granted.

But this sadly won't have any effect. According to Steamspy alone, 1.7 million people bought it over the past 2 weeks, 7 million total, despite this recent developments.

20k-ish signatures and a few bad reviews will just be "lol" to them.

Nice effort though. We'll see if there's any change over the upcoming weeks.

They'll recoup any lost money from bad pub through like, 5 whales in the course of an hour.

This is nothing, it won't change a thing.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
People are quick to dismiss people protesting about something and claim that they don't care, but if they really didn't give a damn about what the community have to say then why would Rockstar respond to the situation?

PC Gamer - Here's Rockstar's statement about Take-Two shutting down GTA's OpenIV modding tool (Updated)

Meanwhile, Take-Two declined to comment further.

Rockstar is Take Two. They are a 100 % owned subsidiary, if Rockstar makes such a statement it was run by Take Two first.

It's impressive and almost scary how massive and loud Steam reviews are. When there is a scandal you see thousands of reviews changing their opinions very quickly. This happens at a much much larger volume than anywhere else I've seen.

Metacritic doesn't have this mobility. It's weird that so many people are doing it so quickly and in such high numbers.

It was the same with the Skyrim modding scandal. And the XBox One always-online mode, and diablo 3 auction house, or FFXIV/ESO terrible launches. When gamers get pissed and they complain in large enough numbers there does seem to be an effect.

In the case of Archeage, the community actually where able to kill the game despite being really really good. It felt the microtransactions was so obscene that large parts of the community went out of their way to spread as much bad worth of mouth as possible.

I cannot really tell if this form of social online mobility is effective or productive, but it's fascinating to see.

Yet people triple dipped and will pre order the ultra limited RDR2 $ 200 edition as soon as they are available showing that people have short memories

What do they hope leaving negative reviews will do? Nobody with any sense pays attention to Steam reviews. Plus the game's been out long enough that they got the money they needed from it.

Shin

Banned
20k+ out of 80m+ that bought the game (double dip and all), don't think anything will change.

Tagyhag

What do they hope leaving negative reviews will do? Nobody with any sense pays attention to Steam reviews. Plus the game's been out long enough that they got the money they needed from it.

They're at least doing something. Better than just taking the shit sandwich and thanking Take Two for it.

They're at least doing something. Better than just taking the shit sandwich and thanking Take Two for it.

They're posting useless reviews. But how many are going to turn around and buy Red Dead or some other title before it?

Have to say though, reading some of the petition reasons are funny.

Fuck take two. They're not announcing red dead 2 to do the whole double dip shit again I bet too.

No thanks, I don't need to play the games if I can't enjoy my single player mods. GTA Online sucks.

Rockstar will not be bothered by any of this. It will have little to no affect on anything they do moving forward. They already got your money for the PC version by the millions.

A-V-B

Rockstar will not be bothered by any of this. It will have little to no affect on anything they do moving forward. They already got your money for the PC version by the millions.

Yeah, they're basically their own fucking country now. 80 million copies at, basically, 60 bucks a pop? That's insane dosh, and that's not taking into account all the whales who will always be there dumping small fortunes on shark cards. Take Two and - possibly - Rockstar are one of the ugliest expressions of a trend that started with Bethesda's horse armor DLC. This is our environment and we're rolling in it, and it's fucking gross as hell. Argh.

I'm just glad they never put the game up at a significant enough discount to get any of my money. I swear the title refused to drop below $20.

Top Bottom