• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2009. The Year of the Smoker's Catch-22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brannon

Not a smoker, but it interested me as it compounds on the recent push against tobacco companies...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/12/tobacco.bill/index.html?iref=newssearch

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Barack Obama said Friday he looked forward to signing a bill that would give the Food and Drug Administration power to regulate the manufacturing, marketing and sale of tobacco.

He said the bill was a "long time coming," and said he was pleased that the House of Representatives and Senate acted "swiftly" in passing it.

The Senate passed the bill on Thursday, and the House passed the Senate's version on Friday by a vote of 307-97.

The House had passed a similar measure in April, but needed to approve the Senate version, which passed Thursday.

The Senate passed the bill 79-17 Thursday, with most Senate opposition coming from tobacco-producing states, including Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. In a break from tradition, Virginia's two senators supported the proposal.

The legislation would give the FDA power to ban candy and fruit-flavored cigarettes, widely considered appealing to first-time smokers, including youths. It would prohibit tobacco companies from using terms such as "low tar," "light" or "mild," require larger warning labels on packages, and restrict advertising of tobacco products.

It also would require tobacco companies to reduce levels of nicotine in cigarettes.

Altria Group, which owns Philip Morris USA, the nation's biggest cigarette company, called the vote "an important step forward on this legislation."

But it expressed "First Amendment reservations about certain provisions, including those that could restrict a manufacturer's ability to communicate truthful information to adult consumers about tobacco products."

Phillip Morris makes such brands as Marlboro, Virginia Slims, Chesterfield and Basic.

There was no immediate response from R.J. Reynolds, which makes Camel, Kool, Winston and Salem cigarettes.

So previously in the recent smoker drama, smokers have and are needing to pay much more in taxes for cigarettes, with loose tobacco especially skyrocketing in price. Now with this bill, more choices will be taken away, in addition to nicotine levels being lowered, probably across the board, so smokers will have to smoke more, but that may not be possible for some, because they cost more.

I must say, smokers are really getting screwballed this year.

This also brings up an odd question; is menthol considered a flavor? Because if so, I know several people who are going to raise bloody hell when this goes through.

EDIT: my god I love this HDTV; it makes my PC seem so much more powerful; I can see EVERYTHING!

Good. They did this in canada and people cried bitter man tears, but mainly it just scared away young kids that shouldn't start.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Honestly, whatever it takes to wean society off this shit.

Acid08

Banned
Eh I don't really care. Not like I smoke fruity cigs. As long as my Newports don't get fucked I don't really care.

Edit: also kids don't fucking start with fruit or candy flavored cigs because they aren't widely available. I'm will to bet almost every single kids first cig is a Marlboro Red which are nasty as hell.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
I don't know if lowering the nicotine will cause smokers to smoke more. Most of the addiction to cigarettes is psychological IMO.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Justin Bailey said:
I don't know if lowering the nicotine will cause smokers to smoke more. Most of the addiction to cigarettes is psychological IMO.
Thank you for your expert medical opinion.

Brannon

I think it's very much a physical addiction, otherwise doctors can get away with prescribing placebo nicotine patches to make people think they're getting a bigger dose of nicotine than they really are...

holy motherfucker of god I am a genius. Though I'm sure somebody has already tried this.

You know, there are about three things I still enjoy in this world: Johnny Cash, naked ladies, and cigarettes.

God took away the first one, my horrific personality and lack of physical vitality took away the second one, and now the government is doing its goddamnest to jam its foot up my ass until I give up the third one.

Why does everything I love slip away from me?

You know, there are about three things I still enjoy in this world: Johnny Cash, naked ladies, and cigarettes.

God took away the first one, my horrific personality and lack of physical vitality took away the second one, and now the government is doing its goddamnest to jam its foot up my ass until I give up the third one.

zissou.jpg

Well, Eleanor didn't love you anyways.

Brannon

Aristotlekh said:

Whoa. Well as the Best Expert on Everything Ever, I can say that while nothing can be done for the first, surely hookers or fixing yourself up inside and out can help with the second. And as for the third? Have you inquired about black market tobacco? Though you WILL catch hell on earth if the government catches you involved in that...

Also, this is absolutely nanny state social control bullshit and everybody who voted for this bill for reasons other than bribes (which I fully understand) is officially on my shitlist.

I really hope I don't have to go stock up on Camel unfiltereds now. I'm sure they probably have about 500% of whatever nicotine allowance the FDA is gonna permit.

Also, does candy cigarette mean cloves? Like, Djarums? Because that won't get kids to stop smoking, it'll get women to stop smoking. If you want to get kids to stop smoking, ban the only kind of cigarette I ever saw at any high school ever: Marlboro Reds. And good riddance, because damned if they don't taste like complete garbage.

DanteFox

Aristotlekh said:

:'(

Acid08

Banned
Aristotlekh said:
Also, this is absolutely nanny state social control bullshit and everybody who voted for this bill for reasons other than bribes (which I fully understand) is officially on my shitlist.

I really hope I don't have to go stock up on Camel unfiltereds now. I'm sure they probably have about 500% of whatever nicotine allowance the FDA is gonna permit.

Also, does candy cigarette mean cloves? Like, Djarums? Because that won't get kids to stop smoking, it'll get women to stop smoking. If you want to get kids to stop smoking, ban the only kind of cigarette I ever saw at any high school ever: Marlboro Reds. And good riddance, because damned if they don't taste like complete garbage.
Dude I'm right there with you. Look at my post above. The candy flavored cigarette excuse doesn't work because as far as I know, nobody smokes that shit. In high school it was all Reds or Camels. No Djarums or Dreams. Plus those cigs suck anyway.

Brb going to go buy me a pack of delicious Newports.

xXCHAOSXx

Justin Bailey said:
I quit a Year ago and this is Correct... My fear of quitting was waaay worse than the reality.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
About 6 months back, I thought I was smart when I started buying roll-your-own tobacco, but then they raised the tax on that by literally 2000%.

Only a matter of time until they catch on to what companies are doing now: making "hybrid" pipe tobacco that doesn't get taxed to hell and back, but is passable for rolling tobacco too.

It's not like I mind too much though...if the country is ever going to move to any sort of socialized healthcare scheme, then these are just sacrifices we'll have no choice but to make.

Regardless, I will continue smoking, and proudly do my part in pissing off the militantly anti-tobacco cigarette nazis in the world.

Their next step is alcohol. Believe me on this, it happened here.

When i started drinking, you could get 25 cent draft beers. Now the government regulated minimum price for a pint is $3.20. While it would once cost you 20 bucks to get drunk in a night, it now costs close to $100.

They also have "mark-up" on bottles of alcohol above and beyond taxes and duties etc.

http://aglc.ca/pdf/quickfacts/markup_rates_schedule.pdf

That's right, for a 1 liter bottle of vodka or rum, they tack on $17.10 which is usually well over double the price of the liquor itself.

This is the next step, it is coming, and nobody in your country is willing to do anything to stop it.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yay for higher taxes on things that have the only purpose of addiction, avoidance, and sickness!

More money for government funding, less money in the pockets of people who would otherwise be wasting their existence. Win/Win

AlteredBeast said:
Yay for higher taxes on things that have the only purpose of addiction, avoidance, and sickness!

More money for government funding, less money in the pockets of people who would otherwise be wasting their existence. Win/Win

You want the government to have more money and the people to have less money? Good God.

Justin Bailey said:
I agree, I tend to smoke a lot more when my nerves are up (is that an expression?) I typically have one per hour at work, less frequent when I'm out or home, but I can have 2 or 3 an hour if I'm playing Street Fighter, UFC, poker, etc... any competitive game with other people. I also find I smoke a ridiculous amount when I'm composing music. I really want to quit because I know its getting to be too much, but I actually enjoy the taste and act of smoking. Plus if I quit, I know I'll balloon up into a big fatty and nobody wants that.

Now if there was a good way to just reduce the amount I smoke back down to say half a pack a day, I would be really happy with myself.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
riskVSreward said:
I agree, I tend to smoke a lot more when my nerves are up (is that an expression?) I typically have one per hour at work, less frequent when I'm out or home, but I can have 2 or 3 an hour if I'm playing Street Fighter, UFC, poker, etc... any competitive game with other people. I also find I smoke a ridiculous amount when I'm composing music. I really want to quit because I know its getting to be too much, but I actually enjoy the taste and act of smoking. Plus if I quit, I know I'll balloon up into a big fatty and nobody wants that.

Now if there was a good way to just reduce the amount I smoke back down to say half a pack a day, I would be really happy with myself.
Yeah, there can be something very soothing and enjoyable about just the act of smoking a cigarette. Obviously the nicotine plays a part, but I think we start attributing smokes to certain situations and it just becomes a part of our lives. It might be a break from the day, or smoking with your buddies at the bar, or whatever. Changing that was the hardest part about quitting for me.

Since they serve no medical or health purpose, wouldn't making them FDA dependent essentially ban them from the market? I mean, ASSuming they are put under the FDA for the reason the FDA actually exists, and not a way to put on useless extra labels? I think it is kind of an abuse of the FDA if they are put under them and sales are not banned for them serving no medical purpose.

Acid08

Banned
Jill Sandwich said:
Boo hoo, my heart bleeds for those stinking, addicted pricks.
Wow fuck you. In no way am I a prick and what I choose to do with my life is none of your fucking business.

Seriously anti-smoking zealots usually turn out to be the asshole pricks.

Acid08 said:
Wow fuck you. In no way am I a prick and what I choose to do with my life is none of your fucking business.

All the smokers I know are pretty zen.

People who are actually anti-smoking, like opposed to the existence of it, are in my experience the kind of uptight, judgmental people I hate hanging out with and who suck at parties.

Anyway, I generally find the idea of sin taxes and drug restrictions to be reprehensible, with very few exceptions. I don't want the government to tell me how to live my life.

Acid08 said:

amen brother

besada

Banned
Menthols are exempted, and the "flavored" cigarette portion of the bill is going to get them in trouble with the WTO, as it's exclusionary against Indonesia who sends us most of our flavored cigarettes.

They're already lining up to protest to the WTO.

Zeke

camdy cigs wtf I started with menthol cools moved to camel then to reds and switched between reds and cloves then back to full on reds and now I go between reds and lucky strike. I hate these retarded laws thank god I can still smoke in a bar here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom