• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2009. The Year of the Smoker's Catch-22.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost Fragment said:
Cut him some slack, guys. He was raped by a pack of cigarettes when he was a kid.
My mother died of lung cancer. Am I allowed to hate smoking?

I wonder how many of the pro-smoking crowd are fine with people being fat?

Actually, I don't care if people smoke, but don't kid yourself about your personal odor. To non-smokers, your breath and clothes really do stink. Sorry.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
adamsappel said:
My mother died of lung cancer. Am I allowed to hate smoking?
Sure why not? People do it for far less.

I wonder how many of the pro-smoking crowd are fine with people being fat?
Oh dont bring up those fatties.. fuck them in their ear. Come on! What does this even mean? Who gives a fuck if someone is fat?

Actually, I don't care if people smoke, but don't kid yourself about your personal odor. To non-smokers, your breath and clothes really do stink. Sorry.
i dont see anyone saying smoking doesnt stink.. all i said earlier was man/woman the hell up and stop acting like a freaking child about something so trivial. Chances are if you are getting physcially ill from cigarette smoke you are not hanging out with smokers to begin with.. so any personal bubble intrusion is fleeting at best. And you cant tell me you had a problem with stinky smoke at a bar or a restaurant so that angle goes out the window.

BTW, people can smell a hell of a lot worse naturally than cigarette smoke that for damn sure.

carnival of stupid.

I'm going to go smoke a cigarette now. With coffee. And non-smokers, you will never know the absolute zen this produces. I pity you.

Besides, my lungs are GOLD from cell damage/deterioration. Not black. GOLD.

lungs.jpg

Kastro said:
you can get lung cancer without smoking

breaking bad ne1
And you can smoke without getting lung cancer. My mother had thyroid cancer when she was a little girl, so it would have been just as smart for her to get a job in an asbestos factory. Still, let's not use fictional tv shows as basis for scientific arguments. Nor phrases like "ne1."

Number 2 said:
Sure why not? People do it for far less.
I'm not claiming my situation gives me any more legitimacy, but there might be reasons people hate smoking beyond being "raped by a pack of cigarettes."

Oh dont bring up those fatties.. fuck them in their ear. Come on! What does this even mean? Who gives a fuck if someone is fat?
GAF can get plenty self-righteous when it comes to obesity, too. I would hope that anyone who wants people to leave them alone about smoking wouldn't have something negative to say about fat people.

i dont see anyone saying smoking doesnt stink.. all i said earlier was man/woman the hell up and stop acting like a freaking child about something so trivial. Chances are if you are getting physcially ill from cigarette smoke you are not hanging out with smokers to begin with.. so any personal bubble intrusion is fleeting at best. And you cant tell me you had a problem with stinky smoke at a bar or a restaurant so that angle goes out the window.

BTW, people can smell a hell of a lot worse naturally than cigarette smoke that for damn sure.
To a smoker, the smell is trivial. To a non-smoker, it's around the level of breathing and wearing farts.

Schrade

Number 2 said:
Wow.. like how physically ill? Throwing up bad? And do you live in a city or a more rural area?
Like upset stomach/headache ill. It really affects me easily. It doesn't always do that but I would say about 75% of the time it does.

Beardz

I used to smoke for about 6 years, 2 or 3 daily, socom nights about 10. When I was drinking about 1 box or more.

Always thought in order to quit I had to quit drinking first; one day I had a cold, so I didn't smoke just drink. In the morning I felt great, no hangover; that was the last day I smoked, that's been like 5 years.

that's the biggest contributor of my smoking, drinking. when i go out drinking, start talking to people, i feel the need to chain smoke, some nights i easily go through over 10 cigarettes.

i actually think smoking is kinda gross, sometimes nauseous, and i only smoke sober when i'm seriously stressed out.

but i have been trying to find ways to lessen my hangovers. i wouldn't think smoking would have much to do with it, but maybe that'll give me incentive to not smoke so much when i'm out drinking.

Zeke

yea I do most of my smoking when I'm at the bar drinking and playing pool outside of that I don't smoke to much. I can easily kill a box of while at a bar tho.

Beardz

Tyrone Slothrop said:
but i have been trying to find ways to lessen my hangovers. i wouldn't think smoking would have much to do with it, but maybe that'll give me incentive to not smoke so much when i'm out drinking.

Try one time, just drink and don't smoke; at least for me it worked great.

Darmstadtium

Bandwagoner
So if I'm reading this right, then cherry swisher sweets are illegal now? Seriously? This really is becoming a nanny state now. If a person knows the consequences of their actions and still chooses to do it anyway it should be their own choice, so long as it only affects them. I'm really regretting my vote for Obama more by the day. Bob Barr would have been a nice choice.

Number 2 said:
But why post that link when Holepunch asked about a study of the effectiveness of restrictions reducing smoking? i dont see anything that indicates the that restrictions reduce the rate of smoking. Although likelihood is thrown about in there, the study is indeterminate on the effectiveness of intervention programs in the workplace. The likelihood of someone not having an intervention quitting versus someone that gets help? And even then "the absolute numbers are low.".. doesnt really give me a whole lot of confidence of workplace restrictions stopping smoking. Well maybe it does in a roundabout way because they cant smoke at work because smoking is banned :lol
I pointed out one study out of many that Cochrane and others do regarding smoking, and IMO until cost-effectiveness is measured conclusively these studies should still continue. It's not an exact science, like you pointed out, but I think the methods will continue to improve. Heck, lawyers for tobacco companies argue that science cannot conclusively say that tobacco causes lung cancer, since technically you need a randomized trial for that (insert rolleyes from scientists). If these interventions are concluded to not be cost-effective, then I'm all for discontinuing them.

If he wanted a specific example then I can provide another single study on smoking cessation in Florida teens. Found to be cost-effective.

afternoon delight said:
I'm going to go smoke a cigarette now. With coffee. And non-smokers, you will never know the absolute zen this produces. I pity you.
Coffee and smoking pretty much go hand-in-hand. That reminds me of an infamous study out of Harvard in the 1980s that suggested a correlation with coffee drinking and pancreatic cancer. Prominent journal and all. Caused quite a public stir. Then it was discovered that smoking wasn't taken into account. Huge embarrassment. A lesson still taught in many epidemiology classes to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom