• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2009. The Year of the Smoker's Catch-22.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeke said:
camdy cigs wtf I started with menthol cools moved to camel then to reds and switched between reds and cloves then back to full on reds and now I go between reds and lucky strike. I hate these retarded laws thank god I can still smoke in a bar here.

lol Zeke are you drunk?

Anyway, yeah, this is bullshit.

Chris R

Smoking is fine by me as long as you don't stink up the room I'm in, or even bring a whiff of second hand smoke near me.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Nicotine alone (gum, patches) is far less addictive than caffeine. But when you add it with a smell, habit, and social factor, it becomes extremely addictive. Without the sensory associated with smoking, the brain doesn't link the drug to anything to become addictive.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Wow.

As someone who doesn't smoke, the guys who are saying "FUCK THE SMOKING PRICKS, LOL" are sorta disturbing me. I can't STAND cigarette smoke, hell I'm allergic to it, but that doesn't mean that I think that anyone who smokes is an asshole. All of the folks who I know who smoke always blow their smoke away from me, and only smoke around me when we're outside. You wouldn't call someone a prick to their face when you see them smoking outside a bar or outside campus. Why the hell do some folks become fuckwads when they go on the internet?

mr jones said:
Wow.

As someone who doesn't smoke, the guys who are saying "FUCK THE SMOKING PRICKS, LOL" are sorta disturbing me. I can't STAND cigarette smoke, hell I'm allergic to it, but that doesn't mean that I think that anyone who smokes is an asshole. All of the folks who I know who smoke always blow their smoke away from me, and only smoke around me when we're outside. You wouldn't call someone a prick to their face when you see them smoking outside a bar or outside campus. Why the hell do some folks become fuckwads when they go on the internet?

It reminds me of my favorite Penny Arcade; you know, the "shitcock" one.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Aristotlekh said:
It reminds me of my favorite Penny Arcade; you know, the "shitcock" one.

20040319h.jpg

sk3

Banned
I'm sick of having to wade through a cloud of smoke while going to most of the buildings I visit. There are laws/rules about smoking near entrances, but they do it anyway and police can't waste time on that crap. So anything that hurts smokers makes me happy.

Sorry the prick smokers ruined it for the rest of you guys, but fuck smokers.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Jill Sandwich said:
Boo hoo, my heart bleeds for those stinking, addicted pricks.

Fuck you. This shit should be bannable.

sk3 said:

And fuck you too, asshole.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
As somebody who doesn't smoke cigarettes and hates the stench of it, this is bullshit.

KTallguy

Banned
I used to be anti-smoking, now I don't care, BUT if we're pushing towards national health care, then we should get everyone off of cigs asap. I don't want to pay for your black tar lung.

Make a cig without the side effects? Wouldn't that be nice?

KTallguy said:
I used to be anti-smoking, now I don't care, BUT if we're pushing towards national health care, then we should get everyone off of cigs asap. I don't want to pay for your black tar lung.

Make a cig without the side effects? Wouldn't that be nice?

Where are they going to recover all the tax money they make off smokers then?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
mr jones said:
Wow.

I live in an apartment and cigarette smoke odor is coming in through the door and vents. It's making my asthma worse and it pisses me off to a great degree. I definitely have some choice words for whoever is lighting up so close to my apartment.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
deadbeef said:
Where are we going to get our tax monies when all these people quit smoking?

Probably soda, and other foods that are terrible for you and are artificially cheap in the first place due to government subsidies. Remember that tobacco, up until the 1990s, received massive subsidies from the government.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
God I wish they could abolish cigs but then people would just procure it illegally (and not have to pay taxes on it).

Acid08

Banned
sk3 said:
I'm sick of having to wade through a cloud of smoke while going to most of the buildings I visit. There are laws/rules about smoking near entrances, but they do it anyway and police can't waste time on that crap. So anything that hurts smokers makes me happy.

Fuck off with that cloud of smoke bullshit. Wow walk by two people smoking cigarettes you smell it for one fucking second before entering the building.

Karakand

Acid08 said:
Fuck off with that cloud of smoke bullshit. Wow walk by two people smoking cigarettes you smell it for one fucking second before entering the building.
:lol They make it sound like it's hot boxing.

sk3 said:

I bet your one of those twats that bathes in Axe body spray.

Lets just ban everything that's irritating smoke, perfume, body spray, bad/no hygiene fat people, talking on a cell phone in public, unattractive people anyone say below a 3. and motherfuckers who bring fish to work then heats it in the microwave FUCK THEM TO THE FURTHEST DEPTHS OF HELL!

Kastro

Banned
Acid08 said:

seriously.. are you one of those obnoxious people who makes hand waving gestures in front of his face when you're around someone smoking? ugh.

let people do what they want.

Instead of all these complicated rules, they should just add more taxes. It makes more sense. It should be expensive to destroy your lungs.

Mamesj

Banned
They really ought to consider switching to some kind of alternative...maybe something like Chewlies gum?

giga said:
You smokers smell like horse shit. This is a blessing.

That's heavy smokers. People who only smoke like 2-3 a day don't smell of it (unless it's right after a smoke.) Even then, if they smoke outside, it'll just be on their breath.

but this thread is already about 50% full of dumb, so I'm not expecting to change any minds here.

Let's hope they go for alcohol next so we can see the gaf reaction to that.

giga

Mamesj said:
They really ought to consider switching to some kind of alternative...maybe something like Chewlies gum?

That's heavy smokers. People who only smoke like 2-3 a day don't smell of it (unless it's right after a smoke.) Even then, if they smoke outside, it'll just be on their breath.

but this thread is already about 50% full of dumb, so I'm not expecting to change any minds here.

Let's hope they go for alcohol next so we can see the gaf reaction to that.
I worked in a Walgreens and sold a lot of cigs (heavy and mild smokers alike). While the heavy ones were absolutely the worst, it's not like the lighter smokers did not have a similar smell either.

Mamesj

Banned
giga said:
I worked in a Walgreens and sold a lot of cigs (heavy and mild smokers alike). While the heavy ones were absolutely the worst, it's not like the lighter smokers did not have a similar smell either.

and people told you, as they bought their cigarettes, exactly how much they smoked or something? I mean, it seems like you don't even know anyone who smokes, if working at walgreens is your best example...

andthebeatgoeson

deadbeef said:
Where are we going to get our tax monies when all these people quit smoking?
Probably from all the money we'll save from decrease in heart disease, asthma, vascular disease from health care. Naw, drug companies will just infect us all with super AIDS and make you pay for the meds. LOL, capitalism.

Aristotlekh said:
Also, this is absolutely nanny state social control bullshit and everybody who voted for this bill for reasons other than bribes (which I fully understand) is officially on my shitlist.

Yeah I hate this kind of shit too. I'm not a "libertarian", don't describe myself as such, but god damn do I hate seeing this kind of shit being pushed on people. I mean damn, who DOESN'T know that smoking kills you these days? The information failed, so now it's up to legislation to enforce what people obviously didn't care about?

Brannon said:
This also brings up an odd question; is menthol considered a flavor? Because if so, I know several people who are going to raise bloody hell when this goes through.

I believe that as of right now, menthols are not considered in this bill. However, there was a lot of dems, specifically members of the Black Caucus, trying to get menthols added into this. Since menthols are consumed at a disproportionate rate by African Americans, they were angry for them not being included.

Not sure what happened with all that though, this is something that I read like 7 months ago. Haven't really been following it enough. I'm guessing that the cigarette lobbyist were able to block that though, I'd be SHOCKED if companies had to give up their menthol install base...:lol It would kill some brands even (Newport, Kool), and all would take a hit.

Edit : For what it's worth, I am partially interested in how this kind of legislation can affect health care reform though....

CiSTM

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
Probably from all the money we'll save from decrease in heart disease, asthma, vascular disease from health care. Naw, drug companies will just infect us all with super AIDS and make you pay for the meds. LOL, capitalism.

You still have fast food and alcohol which will bless you with heart diseases and other hazardous diseases. After all that is banned then maybe they will resort to that AIDS thing.

AlteredBeast said:
Yay for higher taxes on things that have the only purpose of addiction, avoidance, and sickness!

More money for government funding, less money in the pockets of people who would otherwise be wasting their existence. Win/Win

People who are like this are why I absolutely love smoking outdoors

Cipherr

Sucks for smokers, I saw the price of a carton of those things the other day when I stopped to get gas, I had no idea they costed that much :lol Freaking absurd. You guys are getting reamed.

I used to be real anti-smoker, but then businesses started making outdoor smoking areas and the like. As long as I don't have to come home smelling like someone elses habit, I don't care what you do. But it was very inconsiderate IMO for people to chain smoke at work around people who didn't. Those days are long gone now though.

giga

Mamesj said:
and people told you, as they bought their cigarettes, exactly how much they smoked or something? I mean, it seems like you don't even know anyone who smokes, if working at walgreens is your best example...
I assume the people who bought one pack a day are lighter smokers than those who bought 3.

giga said:
I assume the people who bought one pack a day are lighter smokers than those who bought 3.
I wouldn't consider a pack a day person to be a "light smoker." Of course, I don't know if there's an exact science to it, but when I smoked, and I went through an entire pack in a day, I considered that a bad day. I think less than half a pack a day would be a good -- albeit arbitrary -- cutoff for declaring someone a light smoker. But I think you could lower it even more. Half a pack a day isn't anything to brag about.

Kastro

Banned
yeah 1 pack a day is definitely not light. My throat would be killing me after that.

I try to limit myself to 5-6

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wouldn't mind smoking if it hadn't become such a popular habit among the degenerate slobs of society. Not to say all smokers are that way, but cigarettes are littered EVERYWHERE by the tons. I swear there are at least 50 in the parking lot every day at work. It is disgusting. Grow up and clean up after yourselves. You want to talk about nanny state? It's your nanny janitors in society that keep you from living in a complete sty of an environment. Cigarettes are nothing but a consumer product, yet different from others, a human waste worse than excrement because it isn't commonly managed and can't be processed and reintroduced to nature in a helpful way. People can choose what they want to do to themselves, but if it's spilling out into the air and the streets it's society's business. Responsibility of the affect on the medical realm is debatable, but benefits there are bonuses to what I consider the greater reasons for curtailing this pathetic habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom