• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, Crapcom disappointed in this sale. Onimusha 3 is still at £9.37 and the Lost Planet 2 was nothing to write home about. Resi 5 was okay I guess, but with Steam you then run into problems with mod compatibility (nude Sheva and proper laser-sight or bust).

SapientWolf said:
Far Cry 2 is basically the anti-Crysis. You're the perpetual hapless victim in some godforsaken African country and everything and everyone is trying to kill you. Your guns suck, you have malaria, and you're constantly being hunted by packs of armed men in jeeps. It's like a slapstick comedy with one joke and it goes on for about 15 hours.

Two hours of it was all I could handle.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Far Cry 2 is terrible, don't bother with it unless you have selective amnesia, incredible patience for games that overstay their welcome, and an incredible imagination. Even then, you'd be making better stories for yourself in Civ 5 or Sins of a Solar Empire or many other games where the mechanics aren't so fucking obvious and constantly repeated.

Scipius

Smash88 said:
1) Congrats.

2) No, you are wrong.

Also:

Yes or No GAF?

I like how these screenshots only have STALKER in common, combined with the fact that the bundle is the number 1 seller on Steam at the moment.

I'm guessing the sale is not so much for SoC, but rather the first major one for CoP, with SoC simply being added for newer PC players. After the many past sales, I would imagine most veteran PC gamers already have a copy of SoC laying around. That might also explain why Clear Sky is missing from this year's sale.

That or they still haven't generated enough keys for Clear Sky to have another sale...

Ledsen

Lyphen said:
Far Cry 2 is terrible, don't bother with it unless you have selective amnesia, incredible patience for games that overstay their welcome, and an incredible imagination. Even then, you'd be making better stories for yourself in Civ 5 or Sins of a Solar Empire or many other games where the mechanics aren't so fucking obvious and constantly repeated.

If you have terrible taste in games, don't buy Far Cry 2.

Blizzard

Banned
So two people got Jedi Knight to work, Vista-64 and 7-32, that's a good sign. I don't know what OS the person with the problem had. Maybe verifying the game cache integrity would help.

Looks like we can at least agree that Far Cry 2 produces divisive opinions. :p

derFeef

Ledsen said:
If you have terrible taste in games, don't buy Far Cry 2.
Well, the atmosphere and environments in FC2 are awesome. But there are some design choices that are just frustrating and cripple you more than give you the promised freedom.

Ledsen

Blizzard said:
So two people got Jedi Knight to work, Vista-64 and 7-32, that's a good sign. I don't know what OS the person with the problem had. Maybe verifying the game cache integrity would help.

Looks like we can at least agree that Far Cry 2 produces divisive opinions. :p

I put it in the "most divisive games ever" thread, it's certainly up there. The reviewers, Chris Remo and a select few here on GAF love it to death, but many people hate it for reasons that are pretty irrelevant to me compared to the things that make the game so amazing.

derFeef said:
Well, the atmosphere and environments in FC2 are awesome. But there are some design choices that are just frustrating and cripple you more than give you the promised freedom.

That's level-headed and fair criticism, it has no place in this thread
;)

KPJZKC

ARGH, this sale is killing me...

God help me on the last day, will impulse buy everything I haven't touched till now.

Stalker, Jedi Knight, Anno 1404...today is the most tempting so far.

Speaking of which, any UK based Gaffer want to gift me the Farcry 1 & 2 pack? Will gift back a €5 game :D

(might have the price of the Farcry pack wrong, operating under the assumption it's £3.74 (not sure where I got that from))

Starwolf_UK said:
I should point out the Wii version is different to the PC version. I guess its a Donkey Kong Land/Donkey Kong Country relationship they're both Donkey Kong...

I can vouch for the last paragraph but have to admit to being new to civilisation building games.
Thanks for the info. There may be some drawbacks, but the Wiimote control system should be pretty good for a game like this too. I may end up double dipping because I can't see this DRM shit as a long term trend in the PC realm.

Ledsen

Oh also I got the Jedi Knight pack (only wanted Jedi Knight II and Jedi Academy but they were more expensive than the entire pack...) and Hitman Blood Money. Haul so far:

Bully
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Jedi Knight Collection
Hitman: Blood Money

I played the 360 version of Far Cry 2 for about an hour and just couldn't take it.

It was too slow, and there are dozens of games that play better and look similar, so it's not really worth it unless you really like tropical island games.

Ledsen

balladofwindfishes said:
I played the 360 version of Far Cry 2 for about an hour and just couldn't take it.

It was too slow, and there are dozens of games that play better and look similar, so it's not really worth it unless you really like tropical island games.

There aren't really any games like it, it's pretty unique. You wouldn't know from playing it an hour though. That's what's so sad, many people who dismiss Far Cry 2 didn't even play it long enough to get into the game and discover how varied and immersive it can be :(

edit: unless you mean FC1? I didn't really play that one.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wrong game, I think (not tropical!).

Better FC2 browngame would Red Dead Redemption.

Ledsen said:
That's what's so sad, many people who dismiss Far Cry 2 didn't even play it long enough to get into the game and discover how varied and immersive it can be :(

edit: unless you mean FC1? I didn't really play that one.
It goes the other way too. I've played it for 31 hours. I know that's longer than the Idle Thumbs crew and would love to see someone try to marathon that torture. There's probably a Far Cry 2 sweet spot where the game clicks, but if you go too far over, it becomes a chore.

Ledsen said:
There aren't really any games like it, it's pretty unique. You wouldn't know from playing it an hour though. That's what's so sad, many people who dismiss Far Cry 2 didn't even play it long enough to get into the game and discover how varied and immersive it can be :(
That one jungle level of Goldeneye (Wii) that takes about an hour was better than Far Cry in an hour. I really doubt I'd want that Goldeneye level to last for 15+ hours.

Hang on, maybe my memory is fading.

Is this the game where you start on a boat and some lady goes onto the island? A little later you fall asleep and some planes start bombing you?

derFeef

balladofwindfishes said:

FC2 is taking palce on a tropical island since when? The gameplay was fine and by no means "slow". You should have played more. Anyway - for that price people should get it if they like unique, good looking games. Just be prepared to get frustrated by some things.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
SteelAttack said:
RDR is not brown. :mad:
:p
New Austin and Mexico are pretty brown so far! Haven't been to West Elizabeth, but I see snow in the intro, and that makes me excited.

Mairu

Considering the amount of games that have been released that I've been using controllers for, does anyone know if there's a way to get the steam interface to be able to be controlled using a controller?

PS my pickups today:
Hitman Collection
Jedi Knight Collection
Flight Control HD
Supreme Commander 2
Guardians of Graxia + Map Pack
Far Cry 1+2

Ledsen

balladofwindfishes said:
That one jungle level of Goldeneye (Wii) that takes about an hour was better than Far Cry in an hour. I really doubt I'd want that Goldeneye level to last for 15+ hours.

Hang on, maybe my memory is fading.

Is this the game where you start on a boat and some lady goes onto the island? A little later you fall asleep and some planes start bombing you?

That's Far Cry 1.

Lyphen said:
New Austin and Mexico are pretty brown so far! Haven't been to West Elizabeth, but I see snow in the intro, and that makes me excited.
Yeah I know. I was just kind of pulling your leg. WE is a much welcome change of palette, though. Mainly in the aptly named Tall Trees region.

Ledsen

Well the original was mainly highly regarded for it's very impressive (at the time) environments. It probably hasn't held up that well.

Ledsen said:
That's Far Cry 1.

Also know as the good Far Cry, which the second one shat on.

And what is up with people hating on the Total War series? Haven't Creative Assembly proven themselves again and again?

Any Total War game for cheap is great value. Even if they also have high and lows it's always great games.

Ledsen said:
Well the original was mainly highly regarded for it's very impressive (at the time) environments. It probably hasn't held up that well.
Is it compatible with the 360 or something?

I think where I got confused was the circumstances in which I was playing. Where I worked didn't actually have an original Xbox on hand, which led me to think it was a 360 game because we had one of those that we used constantly.

It was really pretty though, if it was an original Xbox game!

derFeef

balladofwindfishes said:
Is it compatible with the 360 or something?

I think where I got confused was the circumstances in which I was playing. Where I worked didn't actually have an original Xbox on hand, which led me to think it was a 360 game because we had one of those that we used constantly.

It was really pretty though, if it was an original Xbox game!
Oh wait, you are talking about the console games - they are totally different compared to the original PC game I think.

tok

Neo Member
balladofwindfishes said:
Oh man, I feel kind of stupid.

I played the original Far Cry, not 2. I was thinking it was 2 in my head for some reason, I don't know why.

That makes you a double turd, because the original Far Cry is one of the greatest games ever made.

Just kidding you about being a double turd -sort of! :lol

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've maintained this since day 1:

Far Cry 2 is one of the worst gaming purchases I've ever made.

The game is a complete piece of shit, and nobody should be made to suffer through it.

Danneee

Ledsen said:
That's level-headed and fair criticism, it has no place in this thread
;)

Well just because you like a pretty crappy game doesn't make it good. Nice graphics and all, the design of the damn thing isn't up to par.

Pretty ok lineup today apart from that :)

Yoritomo

Is there anyway to fix the terrible mouse control in Far Cry 2? It feels like it's trying to emulate an analog stick rather than actually pointing where I want it to. Also I can't run it in DX10 mode without massive stuttering. Is this normal?

Ledsen

Danneee said:
Well just because you like a pretty crappy game doesn't make it good. Nice graphics and all, the design of the damn thing isn't up to par.

Pretty ok lineup today apart from that :)

Just because you dislike an amazing game doesn't make it bad. See, it goes both ways.

Chacranajxy said:
I've maintained this since day 1:

Far Cry 2 is one of the worst gaming purchases I've ever made.

The game is a complete piece of shit, and nobody should be made to suffer through it.

How long did you play it for? It takes quite a few hours to immerse yourself in the amazing atmosphere, explore the beautiful world and get access to enough different guns to appreciate the variety and emergent gameplay inherent to the game's structure.

i was weak...
i already own all c&c..
i already own supreme commander 2...
i already own empire total war and napoleon total war...
i already own tf2 and a few hitman game (not all)...
and i already own farcry1&2..
what's left.......
jedi knight collection.. BOUGHT!
stalker? BOUGHT!
the guild 2.. worth it?

The M.O.B

I wouldn't recommend FarCry 2 to anyone.

Played for a good 10-15 hours, fun for the first hour but I left disappointed.

Terrible boring landscape with nothing to do (Ugly and brown etc etc I know it has that one watery jungle area but still), none of the guns feel good thus the gameplay is also rather bland, story is a borefest.

The one thing I can praise the game for is the enemies giving chase if you forget to blow up their jeeps, it was quite fun having those roadside battles.

JohngPR

The Star Wars games are tempting but I'm going to hold off.

I'm still hoping for a Dreamfall + Longest Journey deal before the end of all this.

Ledsen

The M.O.B said:
I wouldn't recommend FarCry 2 to anyone.

Played for a good 10-15 hours, fun for the first hour but I left disappointed.

Terrible boring landscape with nothing to do (Ugly and brown etc etc I know it has that one watery jungle area but still), none of the guns feel good thus the gameplay is also rather bland, story is a borefest.

The one thing I can praise the game for is the enemies giving chase if you forget to blow up their jeeps, it was quite fun having those roadside battles.

Different strokes, I guess. Personally I could walk around for hours doing nothing more than admiring the environments.

Ceebs

Ledsen said:
Far Cry still looks pretty good if you ask me

(From the Art Shot Thread)
5275163919_c5b2ae8a05_b.jpg

Im thinking about picknig up the Hitman collect and some of the Command and Conquer titles (except maybe C&C4?)

Also considering grabbing Stalker for only $5 sounds good.

Any reason I shouldn't or better ideas?

mandiller

If anyone is wondering, Command & Conquer 3 vanilla is awesome. It's really good. Great units, campaign and looks. I'm thinking for double dipping for it on Steam.

RedSwirl

After taking almost 40 hours to beat Far Cry 2, the only central problem with the game was that it was too shallow for its size.

It's a true open-world first person shooter. Every mission from start to finish is completely free for you to do however you want which is pretty rare for first person games (on consoles anyway).

Some people may not want that and instead want a more scripted and polished first person shooter which Far Cry 2 totally is not. I personally took naturally to the idea of planning my missions all the way through.

The problem I saw was that with worlds as big as the one in Far Cry 2, you can usually do other stuff like talk to people and interact with towns and other stuff. In this game all you do is shoot people. It really starts to show when EVERY human being outside of the central town tries to kill you on sight and you find a lot of places that look like they should be inhabited but are completely barren.

Other people called it a more accessible version of S.T.A.L.E.R., but I haven't played those games (despite owning Shadow of Chernobyl for two years now). Maybe get that pack for the same price instead? I for one will wait since Call of Pripyat by itself is still $10, and there will probably be another deal on it by the time I get around to playing Chernobyl.

DSN2K

just got the Jedi Knight Pack, never played the Academy game...does it have a decent single Player ? II was great back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom