• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double D

Having played all the Hitman games on console except the first one, I bought the pack because I am in love with the series. That being said, avoid the first game at all cost. I just tried to play it and it is complete garbage. The bundle only saves a couple pennies, so just buy Silent Assassin and Blood Money.

This isn't part of the sale but what's the GAF consensus on Frontlines Fuel of War?

Am I a terrible person if I never played the Jedi Knight games?

JDS 1977

Banned
I want Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga, I hope it goes on a deeper sale before it's over. Also gotta grab Children of the Nile bundle to replace my boxed vanilla copy.

Diablohead said:
First one to quote me wins a 37 pence game on steam, aka Winterbottom :p
HIyaoo

JDS 1977 said:
I want Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga, I hope it goes on a deeper sale before it's over. Also gotta grab Children of the Nile bundle to replace my boxed vanilla copy.

I'm with you, been waiting for a deeper sale for the longest time on that amazing game.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
HIyaoo

I'm with you, been waiting for a deeper sale for the longest time on that amazing game.
HAYOOOOOO MICKEY CANTOR HERE FOLKS AND WE ARE LIVE AT GAF 3 ARENA! WITH THE ACTION STARTING RIIIGGGGHHHTTTTT...NOW!

Diablohead said:
HAYOOOOOO MICKEY CANTOR HERE FOLKS AND WE ARE LIVE AT GAF 3 ARENA! WITH THE ACTION STARTING RIIIGGGGHHHTTTTT...NOW!

Ha ha honestly that is so weird I wrote that and it's in your Steam profile...Pure coincidence!

Ha, looks like I already own it, seriously don't remember buying it!

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Am I a terrible person if I never played the Jedi Knight games?
Nope, you just missed out on an awesome game.

If realistic saber combat is available in the Steam version, I recommend that all of you turn it on. It makes the game easier when you're around non-Dark Jedi, but incredibly difficult when you fight them. Dismembered hands flying everywhere.

The Big Rig said:
Nope, you just missed out on an awesome game.

If realistic saber combat is available in the Steam version, I recommend that all of you turn it on. It makes the game easier when you're around non-Dark Jedi, but incredibly difficult when you fight them. Dismembered hands flying everywhere.

Alright, so I will pick it up then. It says FPS, but it looks third person? Oh well, doesn't matter...

Chris R

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So which C&C games are good?

Kane's wrath is good
C&C4 is crap

What about the 2 red alert games?
Didn't really care for RA3 due to the very very VERY heavy focus on Co-op. But hey, if you have someone to play through the entire campaign with go right ahead. Big disappointment for me though since I loved RA2/YR so damn much :(

rhfb said:
Didn't really care for RA3 due to the very very VERY heavy focus on Co-op. But hey, if you have someone to play through the entire campaign with go right ahead. Big disappointment for me though since I loved RA2/YR so damn much :(

It's that focused on Co-op? I don't really play co-op so maybe I'll skip it then.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Is sup com 2 really that bad? Was thinking of grabbing it with a friend and fucking around. But I don't want it ruining my fond memories of the first one.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Alright, so I will pick it up then. It says FPS, but it looks third person? Oh well, doesn't matter...
It can be either, but you will mist likely start in 1st person. Once I got my lightsaber, I never left 3rd.

AleeN634

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What about the 2 red alert games?

Red Alert 3 continues the wacky style set to Red Alert 2. I found it quite enjoyable even though the co-commander system (AI or human partners for campaign missions) made missions a bit too easy. The gameplay is a lot more streamlined than the other CNC games, they even tightly control the economy by allowing only 1 harvestor per ore node (no more free flow of ore in this game). I didn't play a lot of multiplayer but they made each side unique in how they play/control.

Uprising is a stand alone expansion to Red Alert 3. They remove the multiplayer and co-commanders but introduces the the Commander's Challenge mode where you do a series of challenge maps and unlock stuff. If you don't mind the absence on online play its a pretty enjoyable expansion.

Ettie

JDS 1977 said:

I'm with you, and so are several others. Hoping it's part of the big day tomorrow.

Alright, I'm done buying Rockstar games for a while:

1. San Andreas PC: spent nearly 2 hours trying to do a rhythm-based minigame, thinking that my timing was just off, before realizing that the on-screen button prompts were wrong.

2. Bully 360: Game locked up on me like crazy when it first came out.

3. GTA IV 360: Encountered a game-breaking bug right before the last mission. Found a gang of other people on message boards with the same problem. It was never patched and when I emailed Rockstar they told me to start the game over and it probably wouldn't happen again. Do you know how much willpower it takes to get to the end of a GTA game?

4. GTA IV PC: such a poorly optimized game. No excuse given how much money they had already raked in on 360 and PS3.

Fool me 4 times...won't get fooled again.

SolarPowered said:
DoD at fifteen bucks with DRM is useless(I'll get it on the Wii)
I should point out the Wii version is different to the PC version. I guess its a Donkey Kong Land/Donkey Kong Country relationship they're both Donkey Kong...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/958390-dawn-of-discovery/50238407 said:
The graphics is the most obvious. The trading system is another one. You don't have to have trade lines between your colonies in the Wii game the way you do in the PC version. You can discover islands by simply sailing in the PC version but you have to unlock them in the Wii version by completing achievements (reach a certain point in resources, treasure hunting, etc). Land masses are smaller in the Wii version by a LOT compared to the PC version where your cities from screen shots can be massive. The are less structures in the Wii game and less resources, citizen ranks as well, and other things as well. Things are more simplified. Combat for example is simpler in the Wii version as it's given less of a focus. Not so in the PC game.

Story wise I think all three version have the same basic start. Two sons are task with helping their father the King by finding allies and technology due to a drought in your lands. One wants to explore and do it peacefully while the other is more incline to use force. The DS and Wii version I believe have the same story detail wise while the PC version in terms of details is really different I think.

That's not to say the Wii version isn't good because it really is. I'm really enjoying it even knowing the PC has a lot more to it. One of the better games for the Wii I feel and has it's own charm to it.
I can vouch for the last paragraph but have to admit to being new to civilisation building games.

Fuck Amnesia. I am too much of a bitch to play it I think.

I'm in my house, it's a two-story built in 1935 that is often very creaky. Home alone. Turned off all the lights and put on my headphones. Pulled the curtains closed in the room; there's a storm outside anyway so it's pretty dark, but I wanted it really dark.

Almost shit myself 3 minutes into the game because a car that was passing outside of my house turned and their lights shone through a small crack in my curtains onto the far wall opposite of where I am sitting. Fucking made my heart stop. :lol

I am such a bitch... I might have to take off the headphones, turn on the lights, and play when someone else is around.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ColonelColon said:
The demo for Hitman: Blood Money just finished downloading on my computer, but I can't get it to start. :|
I'm on Windows 7 32 bit if it makes any difference.
Could it be an issue with the demo then, since I first played Blood Money on 32 bit 7, and it played absolutely fine off the bat.

Blizzard

Banned
Soka said:

I'm in my house, it's a two-story built in 1935 that is often very creaky. Home alone. Turned off all the lights and put on my headphones. Pulled the curtains closed in the room; there's a storm outside anyway so it's pretty dark, but I wanted it really dark.

Almost shit myself 3 minutes into the game because a car that was passing outside of my house turned and their lights shone through a small crack in my curtains onto the far wall opposite of where I am sitting. Fucking made my heart stop. :lol

I am such a bitch... I might have to take off the headphones, turn on the lights, and play when someone else is around.
They say it's a good game to play if you have a girlfriend watching. :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Happy new year everyone :)
New Year Quiz:

I'd gift two extra copies of CivCity to 2 people who think they are actually going to play it in the next days. If you are interested, quote me and give 2 examples of games in the same sim sub-genre.

(Except the Caesar Series and Zeus, already mentioned by Datwheezy)

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Toma said:
New Year Quiz:

I'd gift two extra copies of CivCity to 2 people who think they are actually going to play it in the next days. If you are interested, quote me and give 2 examples of games in the same sim sub-genre.

Caesar3 and Zeus. I wont play it, but my gf loves those type of games (i've watched her play sim city 3k for hours on end :lol )

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Datwheezy said:
Caesar3 and Zeus. I wont play it, but my gf loves those type of games.
No problem. You get one. Steam ID?
The next one needs to name different games though :p

Soka said:

Sounds like an ideal situation to play it in. You're so damn lucky to have a setting like that. Wish there was a storm brewin' at this point. Old houses, always a plus. Sounds like you scared the shit out of yourself without hesitating!

EvaPlusMinus said:
Is sup com 2 really that bad? Was thinking of grabbing it with a friend and fucking around. But I don't want it ruining my fond memories of the first one.

No it isn´t. It´s no Starcraft 2 in terms of polish, and I miss some of the resource management from SupCom 1, but it´s still a fun and quite different RTS with great graphics and good ideas. The camera in SupCom2 should be standard in all RTS games.

I would say that SupCom 2 is a better choice than any of the C&C games.

Edit: Well, in multiplayer and skirmish matches at least. Cause the singleplayer campaign in SupCom2 is truly laughable.

Unicorn

TEAM FORTRESS 2!!!!!!!!! Finally!

Now to start collecting hats.

Also, I spent many hours in online Jedi Academy. The combat is WAY deeper than you think. Amazing Lightsaber battles in saber only servers. That game cost me $20 bucks when I first bought it. I would've paid $60. All of them for $5 is RIDICULOUS. Maybe I'll double dip to have them on steam.

Blizzard

Banned
Dunlop said:
download at 39%, decided not to google and find out on my own wtf that means :p
Well, just take a look at the sale picture of TF2 now...they're wearing fancy hats and stuff. Now TF2 is a game where people like one guy I know are celebrating the $5 TF2 sale actually counting as only $2.50 since they still come with stocking stuffer keys that he can trade and use with all his mule accounts that are making him a bunch of money.

People apparently occasionally pay upwards of $100 for some special hats.

TF2 is still probably my favorite non-free multiplayer game ever, but the microtransactions and hats can get a bit obnoxious depending on who you play with.

Most hats don't have any gameplay effect, though, aside from occasionally making you obvious to snipers or something.

So I installed Episodes from Liberty City...

I fucking hate GFWL. Sign in, update this, exit game to complete update, launch game, sign in, update this...

Fuck you.

JDS 1977

Banned
So is Flight Control fun? Or something that's only interesting until the novelty wears off?
Also how are the Farm Frenzy games? My wife would love them if they are like Farmville.

matmanx1

Wasn't going to get anything today but that Stalker bundle is way tempting and I've still got some funds set aside for Steam purchases. $5 seems like a pretty insane deal for those 2 and I've never played any of them.

About the only other thing I want that hasn't been on a daily deal yet is Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. Maybe we'll get it tomorrow? One can only hope!

Blizzard

Banned
Nabs said:
glad to see some new tf2 guys. the game is a lot easier than it looks. just have some fun while you learn the different classes. join the gaf-tf2 community group and play with us on the server. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2

maybe my knife and your back will become good friends.
Darn your stealth edit. I was literally just about to post and say that anyone new to TF2 should play pyro. Blow flames at all enemies, teammates, and empty spaces, since Nabs is ALL OF THEM. :mad:

Im_Special

A0x8g.jpg

OMG should I?

Talk me outta something please, maybe I should hold off on the Total War games for something better then 25% off?

Disappointed that Jedi Knight does not run at all.

Why do they even sell it if it doesn't work on a modern operating system?

All i get is a window popup that says something like "unable to load file: (bunch of Japanese letters) It may be missing, already in use, or corrupted."

No help online about it either. Fucking stupid.

Toma

Slightly changed repost:

New Year Quiz:

I'd gift 1 extra copies of CivCity to someone who thinks they are actually going to play it in the next days. If you are interested, quote me and give 2 examples of games in the same sim sub-genre.

(Except the Caesar Series and Zeus, already mentioned by Datwheezy - already got a copy)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Im_Special said:
A0x8g.jpg

OMG should I?

Talk me outta something please, maybe I should hold off on the Total War games for something better then 25% off?

Empire Total War stinks, Farcry 2 is also (imo anyways) pretty craptacular.

Toma

SonOfABeep said:
Disappointed that Jedi Knight does not run at all.

Why do they even sell it if it doesn't work on a modern operating system?

All i get is a window popup that says something like "unable to load file: (bunch of Japanese letters) It may be missing, already in use, or corrupted."

No help online about it either. Fucking stupid.

And thank you, you just saved me 5€.

Im_Special said:

OMG should I?

Im_Special said:

OMG should I?

They'll probably on sale tomorrow if you buy it now.
Edit: Nah it probably wont since the one pack is already on sale today. Still.. You can wait it out man. I mean, I dont. But that doesnt man that you cant be strong.

*goes to play Total War*

Edit: The gaffers below me commenting are of course right. Skip it now. Especially the 25% ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom