• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread

I really don't get all the love for the Mass Effect series. Haven't played 3, but 2 was just constant gunplay with no depth in boring levels with the most predictable pacing ever. Both 1 and 2 also focus way too much on player reinforcement through laughable and nonsensical story interaction as well and I don't think anyone has mentioned 3 fixing those issues.

antitrop

I don't care what any of these "media personalities" say, Spec Ops: The Line is the best gaming experience I've had this year.

antitrop

If there's any justice in this world, it'll get a lot of awards for best narrative/writing.
In the media it will be overshadowed by The Walking Dead this month.

Nothing against TWD, I'm just a really big fan of Spec Ops. Along with Hotline Miami it also has one of the best soundtracks (surprisingly) of the year, as well.

Salsa

Rockstar's Max Payne 3 is also the best third-person shooter ever made.

Its nice to read this since I somewhat agree with it (mh, RE4) at least from a gameplay standpoint and I always thought it was a really unpopular opinion, never thought id read something like that. Game just plays better than anything from a third person perspective ive ever played.

pargonta

If I am to believe this 10 item list is ranked 10-1, then Entertainment Weekly has crowned Journey as game of the year.
EW - Journey

Additionally, this next one appears to be one persons opinion written in the first person, but nevertheless, CBS news (cited as AP, Associated Press) has crowned Dishonored as game of the year
CBSnews [AP] - Dishonored

Grief.exe

Oh, they have joke Game of the Year features now?

When are they going to put up the real ones, then?

I thought it was funny reading that GOTY award for Mass Effect as well.

They are either completely delusional and just overlooking the criticisms levied against ME3.

Or we have a marketing dollar situation here.

For me the best 2 games I played last year are the best 2 games I played this year.

Dark Souls - PS3
The Witcher 2 - PC

Dark Souls - PC
The Witcher 2 EE - PC

They probably wouldn't be eligible for most media awards.

I agree, the best games I played this year don't really count.

Dark Souls PC - First time I experienced this game and already one of my favorites of all time. Port of a console game from 2011

Day Z - Mod

Dota 2 - Update of a mod, still in beta.

Grief.exe

Lol. Mass Effect 3 is far from the best game. Wouldn't be surprised to see it clean up a lot of awards though.

iqu1UvYdbgpT9.gif

antitrop

My opinion that Max Payne 3 is the second best third person shooter that came out this year speaks volumes about how, other than Spec Ops, it was not a good year for TPS.

antitrop

Spec Ops: The Line and The Walking Dead both have my absolute respect this year for pushing the story-telling mechanism of games forward.

Hypron

For me the best 2 games I played last year are the best 2 games I played this year.

Dark Souls - PS3
The Witcher 2 - PC

Dark Souls - PC
The Witcher 2 EE - PC

They probably wouldn't be eligible for most media awards.

You, Sir, have impeccable taste in video games.

Yeah, that's clearly it

Clearly they're not serious. By far the worst in the series with serious gameplay flaws and an ending that invalidates the entire series. They should've just given it to Operation Racoon city or something that's as equally deserving as Mass Effect 3.

antitrop

I often accuse gaming journalists of just telling the public what they think we want to hear, but it seems with this Mass Effect 3 thing they're just doing it out of spite, now.

Clearly they're not serious. By far the worst in the series with serious gameplay flaws and an ending that invalidates the entire series. They should've just given it to Operation Racoon city or something that's as equally deserving as Mass Effect 3.
While were on the subject of EA, why not just say Dragon Age II?

Top Bottom