• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread

antitrop

It won Slant Magazine's GotY
I just read their Top 25 Films of the Year list and I had never even heard of any title in the top 10.

They have interesting tastes, I suppose. Not surprising they went with something like Xenoblade, then.

If I still liked JRPGs I would totally play the shit out of that.

A few head scratchers with G4

- TTT2 not being nominated for best fighter
- Hitman winning best animation over Skullgirls
- Fez = best platformer
- Xenoblade in most original game? wut?

Other than those, good picks. Nice to see The Witcher 2 not get ignored for being a console re-release and Sleeping Dogs won something.

Yea G4's picks were baffling, it seems like they were just randomly choosing shit because this is their last year.

Hitman winning BEST ANIMATION over Assassins Creed 3, was the biggest what the fuck moment in this entire GOTY nominee's. AC3 is the pinnacle of 3rd person character animation this generation so far and Hitman is a joke.

Gah, can't find that gif of the Tomahawk being used in Hitman...

Esura

Banned
2012 is one of the worst years for RPGs ever.

I don't see how anything other than Xenoblade could have won.

This year FFXIII-2, Graces f, and Neptunia mk2 came out. Also Last Story (NA), Mugen Souls and Dragon's Dogma. There were a lot of good RPGs this year.

Good year for fighters too.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Man, are you ever going to be disappointed when all the outlets give the "RPG of the year" to Mass Effect 3 by default.

*Looks at gamerankings, metacritic and 2008 archive*

Another year of Persona 4 getting robbed.

To be fair, Persona 4 came out so late in the year and was so long that no one was going to beat it in time for goty stuff (hell, even Far Cry 3 is getting nomination snubbed for similar reasons).

And a VITA port of a PS3 JRPG had no chance of ever winning a goty award. Be grateful in its absurdly high metacritic placement!

Final Fantasy XIII-2? Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? SMT Devil Survivor 2? Mass Effect 3? The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition? Tales of Graces f? The Last Story? I don't know; it seemed fine to me.

Kazerei

Banned
Whoa, The Walking Dead shot up since the last time I checked. And it just shot up on my list of games I want to play, too.

Guevara

So as the Walking Dead racks up media GOTY nods (and users here in the GOTY voting thread), which platform is best? Is there any reason not to simply play it on my iPhone 4? I realize I'd be trading the engrossment of a big TV for portability.

Also, is this the first time ever a major GOTY pick was available on both consoles and phones?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Magic Mushroom said:
Not a bad list, though Velocity is my game of the year.

No its not bad, its atrocious.

Journey at #9? So much for the "future of interactive entertainment".

/facepalm

No its not bad, its atrocious.

Journey at #9? So much for the "future of interactive entertainment".

/facepalm

Journey is very interactive. It's not very challenging, but it doesn't need to be. Apart from that, I think it's a genuinely good list full of games worth playing which covers many different genres as well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Magic Mushroom said:
Journey is very interactive. It's not very challenging, but it doesn't need to be. Apart from that, I think it's a genuinely good list full of games worth playing which covers many different genres as well.

Journey should be #1. Because its genuinely forward looking and not just a glossy recycling of old ideas like most of their shitty list.

Putting something as thin and simplistic as Super Hexagon ahead of Journey is offensive to me. Not to say that its not good for what it is, but seriously, in terms of creative intent and artistic merit... its not in the same league.

Just because something is addictive and a good time waster isn't an indicator of greatness, because if that's your criteria you can put popping bubble-wrap over the classics of literature!

braves01

Banned
Journey should be #1. Because its genuinely forward looking and not just a glossy recycling of old ideas like most of their shitty list.

Putting something as thin and simplistic as Super Hexagon ahead of Journey is offensive to me. Not to say that its not good for what it is, but seriously, in terms of creative intent and artistic merit... its not in the same league.

Just because something is addictive and a good time waster isn't an indicator of greatness, because if that's your criteria you can put popping bubble-wrap over the classics of literature!

Such delicious irony.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

You really like Journey, huh?

I got Journey in my top 3 for 2012, and even I'm slightly embarrassed by some of the praise it gets. The way some people go on like it's the greatest video game achievement in modern history...

krYlon

I find it offensive that you're using classics of literature in an analogy for Journey.

Uncle AJ

I played through the first 3 episodes of the Walking Dead and I just don't see what everyone else is seeing... I don't get invested in that story or those characters at all.

Guevara

So as the Walking Dead racks up media GOTY nods (and users here in the GOTY voting thread), which platform is best? Is there any reason not to simply play it on my iPhone 4? I realize I'd be trading the engrossment of a big TV for portability.

Also, is this the first time ever a major GOTY pick was available on both consoles and phones?
Anyone?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
krYlon said:
I find it offensive that you're using classics of literature in an analogy for Journey.

I wasn't drawing an analogy, I used it as an example of what is and is not a meaningful criteria for having merit in a cultural sense.

My point is simply: What set of "values" is that Edge list representative of?

braves01 said:
Such delicious irony.

Its not ironic. What is ironic is that you are simply exhibiting your own foolishness by trying to call me out with such an easily and comprehensively dismissable retort.

"Thin and simplistic" doesn't simply refer to content, but to intent and outlook. Minimalism is not the same as simple absence of content. TGC were aiming a whole lot higher than creating what amounts to a simple score-attack experience!

That lofty ambition is worth celebrating, because creating a memorable, emotionally resonant, visually and aurally beautiful experience *that can be shared* is hard to achieve. That they achieved that goal for so many people within a wordless, text-free framework makes it even more laudable.

krYlon

I wasn't drawing an analogy, I used it as an example of what is and is not a meaningful criteria for having merit in a cultural sense.

My point is simply: What set of "values" is that Edge list representative of?

Edge has always championed strong gameplay mechanics over art/story/emotional experiences.
I'm quite surprised they've showered so much praise over Journey and The Walking Dead. It's not really like them.
In the past they've made it clear that they want the medium to have its own identity and that only through well crafted gameplay can the medium distinguish itself from the likes of cinema and the visual arts.
I don't know why they use "interactive entertainment" as a descriptor for games. It's pretty vague and seems to be at odds with their usually narrow view.

Also I think you are being very dismissive of Super Hexagon, it is a beautiful and well crafted game in its own right. Just in a more abstract way than Journey.

I got Journey in my top 3 for 2012, and even I'm slightly embarrassed by some of the praise it gets. The way some people go on like it's the greatest video game achievement in modern history...

It's my personal game of the generation and it's certainly one of the greatest video game achievements in modern history, at least in terms of artistic direction.

Derrick01

Banned

It is certainly aggravating especially when it comes from the company who revels in making the most shallow games possible*.

*Yeah I know I picked walking dead as my goty but at least it has a pretty good story with good writing for video game standards.

Top Bottom