• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Osorio

any word on what took so damn long?

I think they were interviewing a good number of people.

Somebody even saw Pep Guardiola leaving RBA!

There were rumors of Gary McAllister

Then Paulo Sousa

I guess they realized that having a young guy who loves the club is the best choice. He knows the area really well (is from Long Island, now lives in Jersey). And has played with the team for two stints. Red Bull wants to put an emphasis on American talent which there is plenty of in the Northern NJ area. Petke and Claudio Reyna (if he is the assistant) would attest to that.

blurrygil

I think Petke was a good mistake made. Meaning the RBNY FO likely went down a long list of their candidates and couldn't rake one in before Petke. I wish the best for him (and not so much NY, heh).

Osorio

petketifo.jpg

I'm still pumped about the announcement.

It's been my favorite off-season since RB took over the club.

Hieberrr

Canada v Denmark friendly today at 3PM EST.

CAN_DEN_friendly-4.jpg

Canadians can stream from: SportsNet

Americans can stream from here: KickTV

TFC fans might want to check the game out. We might get to see Kyle Bekker in action.

Hieberrr

At least Bekker has looked pretty decent in the midfield in terms of just bringing and pushing the ball up the field.

Canadian football is still heavily reliant on over-the-top long balls, which leads to so many lost possessions. We need a system that will force players to keep the ball on the ground when moving it up the field.

Fuck MLS and there league approved transfer fee BS. Nasl never die.

Can you explain the process a little bit or point me in the right direction? I understand Dallas will get transfer money for Shea but what player are they going to spend that money on that the Dallas fans would want more than a home grown player? I'm still a little naive when it comes to the finances of MLS and football in general.

Askani

Can you explain the process a little bit or point me in the right direction? I understand Dallas will get transfer money for Shea but what player are they going to spend that money on that the Dallas fans would want more than a home grown player? I'm still a little naive when it comes to the finances of MLS and football in general.

In a nutshell, and if I understand it right, MLS owns the player contacts. If a transfer is requested, MLS has to approve it as well as the team and the player. Also, MLS gets a cut of the transfer fee. If the team and the player approve but MLS does not, then the transfer doesn't happen. Basically, MLS thinks Brek Shea is worth more than what Stoke City is offering and they are holding up the transfer.

At a high level, it's like a check to help make sure that talent homegrown talent and talent we develop stays here. So that other leagues can't just come in and outspend and gut MLS of our best players constantly with no recourse. It's probably a good thing, but alot of times it comes off looking like a money grab for MLS.

In a nutshell, and if I understand it right, MLS owns the player contacts. If a transfer is requested, MLS has to approve it as well as the team and the player. Also, MLS gets a cut of the transfer fee. If the team and the player approve but MLS does not, then the transfer doesn't happen. Basically, MLS thinks Brek Shea is worth more than what Stoke City is offering and they are holding up the transfer.

At a high level, it's like a check to help make sure that talent homegrown talent and talent we develop stays here. So that other leagues can't just come in and outspend and gut MLS of our best players constantly with no recourse. It's probably a good thing, but alot of times it comes off looking like a money grab for MLS.

I tend to look at it the opposite way. Having players get picked up by European sides is like a college player declaring for the draft early. It hurt in the short-term, but in the long-term being known as a program that gets your players to the pros really helps in attracting talent. More Brek Sheas making the leap means more Fredy Monteros willing to consider the league.

Pctx

Banned
Excited to see my Timbers this evening. Don't even know who is going to be in the starting XI as we have gone from nothing to god knows what in the off season.

Nesotenso

Askani

The USMNT plays again Honduras next week, so Espinoza vs Besler and Zusi.

Norwich and Wiggan play on March 30th or something so Kamara and Espinoza will be battling on opposite sides of the ball as well.

Hate to see them move on but it's nice to see our players having more and more success.

Nesotenso

That was great. Honduras squad has been announced and Roger is in, but he was always a certainty. I expect both Besler and Zusi to be called in with Zusi to start/ get minutes. Besler, if he keeps his form, could get first team minutes during the Gold Cup.

Espinoza got his first Premier League start against Cameron's Stoke yesterday and was instrumental in both goals. He had an assist on the first.

Match Highlights:
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/video/premier-league

Select Stoke vs. Wigan

Osorio

Saw it this morning. Good hire. I am pumped for this season.

So am I. We have a solid squad all around with a coach every fan wants to see succeed. Good blend of Americans and foreigners, veterans and young guys.

And at least we can count on Petke taking the Open Cup seriously.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
The Red Bulls uploaded a sitdown video with Petke about what he plans to do with the team/organization. Good stuff.

Also...

http://m.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccerb...tm_medium=rss&utm_content= Soccer Blog

NYPost.com said:
“I know both their personalities are one that whoever is (starting) the game, the other one who’s not being involved, the other one is not going to be a cancer,’’ said Petke. “We have so many games this season between the league and U.S. Open Cup – which we plan to take seriously this year – and the friendlies we usually have…It's going to be a tough competition.’’

iAcHSqeixAfTe.gif

This guy.

Osorio

I made a team already and will make a league if there's enough interest.

Also, if I were to make a league would you guys prefer classic or head to head?

Nesotenso

I made a team already and will make a league if there's enough interest.

Also, if I were to make a league would you guys prefer classic or head to head?

I don't know the first thing about Fantasy Leagues or how they work. But I will be happy to join.

Osorio

I don't know the first thing about Fantasy Leagues or how they work. But I will be happy to join.

Pretty easy. The site evaluates a price for each player in the league according to how well they did in real life. You have a budget in this case of $100 to pick out 15 players from the whole league. When the season starts the players you chose get points based on their performance. The person who picks the best team wins. Classic is where everybody is on the same table. Head to head you compete with someone every week and whoever gets the most points of you two is the winner of that week.

Hope that was easy enough to understand.

Nesotenso

Pretty easy. The site evaluates a price for each player in the league according to how well they did in real life. You have a budget in this case of $100 to pick out 15 players from the whole league. When the season starts the players you chose get points based on their performance. The person who picks the best team wins. Classic is where everybody is on the same table. Head to head you compete with someone every week and whoever gets the most points of you two is the winner of that week.

Hope that was easy enough to understand.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess having everyone compete with everyone else sounds better. Do we get to trade players? That would make it interesting.

I'll end up doing the MLS official site fantasy again and would love to join in a draft type format like you guys are talking about.

If you guys find type of site and such let me know and I'll join up.

Top Bottom