• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Kenny Cooper traded to FC Dallas for allocation money.

@Soccerbyives
Sources tell me RBNY secured $200K in allocation. That plus Cooper's $370K cap hit in 2013 means $570K swing for NY & room for more signings

It's great that we have some cap space, but losing a scorer like Cooper sucks.

Hieberrr

No idea... isn't Koevermans still hurt too?
They are expecting him to be back some time in June, so he'll be out for quite a while. I really hope it's not the same thing as last year where the team went without a legit striker for like 90% of the season.

Hopefully a new young striker is signed in the next week or two.

Toronto needs to free up some money to spend on Adu :)

Rumor is/was Adu is oing to Toronto.
Ew.

The mail man came today!

7Bql336.jpg

Season ticket package has arrived!

Digging the STH offical scarf this year, the STH is a nice touch, way better then the last two years.

One bonus, they failed to do last year and did this year, now our season tickets also cover the cost of friendlies and cup games.
Another new feature is being able to pre-load your season ticket card with money, by doing this and then buying stuff with your pre-loaded money you get a 10% discount on stuff plus loyalty points.

Loyalty points look the same (meet the team night, watch away game at stadium, open practice etc..) but at least this year your bids will be entered in a lottery. Was impossible to win anything last year.

Now I'm just waiting on my Sons of Ben supporters pack to come :)

..Is it March yet!!

GRW810

We signed Ruben Izquierdo from Charlton Athletic. Only 20 years old and plays left wing which is what we need.
Thank you, been trying to find out which side he plays. With Sam being a RW at least we have balance in the MF ranks now.

Still short on numbers in MF though, so I expect Henderson, Clark and Bustamante to get a contract. Ruthven in DF too, guy hardly put a foot wrong when called upon last year.

Osorio

Thank you, been trying to find out which side he plays. With Sam being a RW at least we have balance in the MF ranks now.

Still short on numbers in MF though, so I expect Henderson, Clark and Bustamante to get a contract. Ruthven in DF too, guy hardly put a foot wrong when called upon last year.

Christianson has looked good too.

I liked what I saw from Ruthven last year for sure. Way better than Holgersson imo

Still pissed that Conde left and Holgersson stayed.

GRW810

Christianson has looked good too.
I meant Christianson, not Henderson. There isn't even a Henderson. Wonder how many times I've made that mistake already until now.

So....now what's the chances Lampard comes to MLS? 5%? He's been in great form ever since the rumor was that he was going to the Galaxy.
If he leaves Chelsea I believe he'll go to Galaxy, thought that all along. The rumors are too strong. I certainly think it is way higher than 5%, though his recent fine form and chances of affecting his England career might persuade him to look to Europe. There will be a ton of clubs after him.

Nesotenso

Brek Shea got some time in a closed door practice game for Stoke and scored. I think he might see some playing time before the season is done.

Osorio

Kinda old but we picked up Eric Alexander from Portland

He's young, American and fucking cheap! Can play multiple positions across midfield.

Supposedly his salary cap hit was 56,925.00 last year and Portland is paying for some of it.

Osorio

And we have a new goalkeeping coach

The New York Red Bulls announced today that they named Rafael González goalkeeper coach.

“Rafa is a very experienced professional, with over two decades in soccer both as a player and a goalkeeper coach. We think he is a very strong addition to our coaching staff,” said Red Bulls Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh. “His knowledge in working at the highest levels in soccer will be beneficial in assisting the development of our three young goalkeepers."

González, 42, was most recently a goalkeeper coach for Spanish La Liga side, Málaga. Prior to that, González was with English Premiership team, Aston Villa from 2007 to 2012, working with the club’s First Team and Academy goalkeepers during his tenure.

Good resume. However, I was hoping they'd bring Des back.

Hieberrr

I see that Hieberrr is commenting on the MLS feed of TFC vs Orlando pre-season

"
Hieberrr

Colour commentator sucks.
"

haha

Hahaha, he did! ;P

Please tell me you saw the Osorio goal :O~

EDIT: I just got tickets to the Apr 27 game against NYRB. I'm so hyped to see Henry play! It was either that match or the LA Galaxy match on Mar 30th. I thought about going to the home opener at the Skydome, but my last experience there was meh.

Hahaha, he did! ;P

Please tell me you saw the Osorio goal :O~

EDIT: I just got tickets to the Apr 27 game against NYRB. I'm so hyped to see Henry play! It was either that match or the LA Galaxy match on Mar 30th. I thought about going to the home opener at the Skydome, but my last experience there was meh.

I'm going to watch TFC play the Impact in Montreal because they gave free tickets to the season ticket holders. Should be fun.

You lucky bastard!! I've always wanted to visit Montreal.

You live in Toronto and have never been to Montreal? I've never even heard of that before?! You can take a $10 bus to get there if you book early enough.

Anyways, every season seat holder gets a ticket for this game but when you think of how many season seat holders are families, then I would suspect the numbers travelling will be much, much lower than the number of season seats sold.
Will be fun though either way!

Subitai

The mail man came today!

Season ticket package has arrived!

Digging the STH offical scarf this year, the STH is a nice touch, way better then the last two years.

One bonus, they failed to do last year and did this year, now our season tickets also cover the cost of friendlies and cup games.
Another new feature is being able to pre-load your season ticket card with money, by doing this and then buying stuff with your pre-loaded money you get a 10% discount on stuff plus loyalty points.

Loyalty points look the same (meet the team night, watch away game at stadium, open practice etc..) but at least this year your bids will be entered in a lottery. Was impossible to win anything last year.

Now I'm just waiting on my Sons of Ben supporters pack to come :)

..Is it March yet!!
I forget how far do you have to travel for home games?

Hieberrr

You live in Toronto and have never been to Montreal? I've never even heard of that before?! You can take a $10 bus to get there if you book early enough.

Anyways, every season seat holder gets a ticket for this game but when you think of how many season seat holders are families, then I would suspect the numbers travelling will be much, much lower than the number of season seats sold.
Will be fun though either way!

Yeah, man I've never found a person that wanted to go LOL. Have fun!

I really want to know what Payne is thinking for the striker position. No way Koef is coming back until mid-season (last I heard it was July/August) and even if he does come back, he's prone to injury again.

I'm really glad that the midfield is looking decent for once. Having Bekker and potentially Osorio in the middle is making me so wet. This team, for as long as I can remember, has been lacking creative midfielders.

Yeah, man I've never found a person that wanted to go LOL. Have fun!

I really want to know what Payne is thinking for the striker position. No way Koef is coming back until mid-season (last I heard it was July/August) and even if he does come back, he's prone to injury again.

I'm really glad that the midfield is looking decent for once. Having Bekker and potentially Osorio in the middle is making me so wet. This team, for as long as I can remember, has been lacking creative midfielders.

To me it looks like Payne will only make moves if they are cheap or if they really make sense. He clearly knows they need someone up top but won't make a move until the right player comes along. That might mean the first half of the season or more without it but I doubt he will flinch.
I can respect that though since one of the biggest problems with TFC in the past is that they would panic at the poor results and just start bringing in any overpriced players and max the salary cap.
I hope I'm right about Payne but so far, it seems like he wants to reverse that trend and be more careful with cap space. I think the fact that he has mostly dumped salaries rather than bring more in so far seems to indicate that too.

Hieberrr

To me it looks like Payne will only make moves if they are cheap or if they really make sense. He clearly knows they need someone up top but won't make a move until the right player comes along. That might mean the first half of the season or more without it but I doubt he will flinch.
I can respect that though since one of the biggest problems with TFC in the past is that they would panic at the poor results and just start bringing in any overpriced players and max the salary cap.
I hope I'm right about Payne but so far, it seems like he wants to reverse that trend and be more careful with cap space. I think the fact that he has mostly dumped salaries rather than bring more in so far seems to indicate that too.
It's definitely understandable as I think he mentioned that it wasn't a 1-year project, but rather a relatively long-term project. Having said that though, we absolutely need a capable striker. We have what, Koef, Braun, and Wielderman potentially up there? Koef is out of the picture for half the season, Braun is semi-capable from what I remember (declined hard since 2011), and Wielderman was terrible last season IMO. I've read rumours about Payne wanting to wait until the summer transfer window to grab a Euro-based striker, but that might be too late imo.

Who knows... I just don't like the idea of going another half-season without a competent striker. We went with Johnson last year and he looked extremely uncomfortable there.

Osorio

I like the new Chivas. Having an all-Mexican team in a league created to jumpstart American soccer makes for an instant villain that every league needs.

If it fails they'll just have to sell or change their name.

Win-win

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The league does need a new villain since Rafa is gone. Lenhart is a pretty easy guy to hate. I also heard Carlos Ruiz might be returning to the league and he is also a villain.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Robbie Rogers comes out as gay and says he is retiring from soccer
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/15/former-crew-mf-rogers-says-hes-gay-leaving-soccer

I never rated the guy highly and I always thought he was too slow for a forward. Certainly not a national level quality player. But I wish he carried on as an openly gay player.

Anyways, best of luck to him.

Happy for him that he's finally out of the closet, but sucks that he's retiring.

In RBNY news, Metro legend John "Staten Island Ronaldo" Wolyniec has been named the RBNY reserves coach. In celebration of this news, let us dance.

Osorio

Happy for him that he's finally out of the closet, but sucks that he's retiring.

In RBNY news, Metro legend John "Staten Island Ronaldo" Wolyniec has been named the RBNY reserves coach. In celebration of this news, let us dance.

Metro legend. Only Metro player to score in an MLS Cup final.

And that game against Houston is still one of my favorites ever for the franchise.

If it wasn't for that game Richards would've been gone, and Osorio probably wouldn't have been around for 2009.

Osorio

And it looks like Meara won't be ready for the season opener :(

Luckily Robles is a solid keeper. Better than Meara actually but I like to root for the locals.

Thank you Toronto, the Union FINALLY got a win in the pre-season!

After the 1-1 tie to Orlando, 0-0 tie to Montreal, and 4-0 ass kicking Columbus gave us, it was nice to get a 3-0 win!

Hieberrr

Thank you Toronto, the Union FINALLY got a win in the pre-season!

After the 1-1 tie to Orlando, 0-0 tie to Montreal, and 4-0 ass kicking Columbus gave us, it was nice to get a 3-0 win!

I'm convinced TFC wants an early exit to train for the actual season.

Maybe I'm just making things up LOLLL
Manneh scored two tonight for Vancouver in their preseason match. Woohoo!
Vancouver is going to be so damn dangerous this year up front, it's not even funny. I'm going to enjoy Whitecaps matches this year :O~

Chivas are just being dirt bags now. I get what they are doing from a buisness perspective but why flat out lie to your players?

KISSIMMEE, Fla. – James Riley was content in Southern California, happy to be a member of Chivas USA even while many of his teammates were unceremoniously being shown the door.

Riley signed a new lease. His girlfriend took a job. He was laying down roots with the expectation, reinforced by a handshake deal with head coach José Luis Sánchez Solá, that he wouldn’t be another one of the casualties.

Then, as quickly as Chivas USA had professed their desire to make him a integral part of their squad, Riley was packing up his belongings, shipped to D.C. United on Wednesday for a second-round draft pick in the 2015 Supplemental Draft.

To say Riley was surprised is an understatement – “It honestly could be a book, what happened,” he says – after a turn of events that might astonish even those who’ve paid close attention to the roster purge that has accompanied the club’s identity shift to better align itself with the mothership in Guadalajara and the makeup of its fan base in SoCal.

“I had a meeting with [Sánchez Solá] and he said he wanted to keep me, how I was in his starting XI, a core member of the team as obviously I’d played a lot of games in this league,” Riley told MLSsoccer.com following his first appearance for D.C. United at the Disney Pro Soccer Classic on Saturday. “So I said, ‘If you want me here, I’ll be here. Fantastic.’

“We shook hands on it. We also discussed a new contract just to kind of secure things because it was a pretty volatile situation. Guys were in and out. So he went and spoke to the president for me and confirmed it was going to be a new deal. No problems within the league … Then it changed over 48 hours.”

As of time of publication, Chivas USA had not responded to an MLSsoccer.com request for comment. But Sánchez Solá, on Saturday night declared via Twitter that "I don't know what Riley said. I dedicate myself to coaching. I have nothing to do with contracts."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/16/dcs-riley-says-he-had-handshake-deal-stay-chivas

Top Bottom