• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomex

dream Team debates are hilarious. Just hearing comments like these let's you know people's age

Point is David was a physical freak but he ain't scaring anyone and I doubt "who guards David?" is going to be a huge worry on a team with Magic, Bird, Michael and Barkley.  Chandler would hold his own defensively against Robinson.

Yeah he's used to boxing out bigger dudes
Knicks7.jpg

He's been a cornerstone for a franchise all his career
6YSGu.jpg

Can guard and not get into foul trouble
Tyson%20Chandler%20-%20Dirk.jpg

So good that even the Clippers traded him?
tyson-chandler-2.jpeg

GIFSoup

Phoenix's Rage

Neo Member
How this Dream team vs 2012 USA Team is even a discussion is laughable.. Like someone else mentioned, MAYBE if Wade, Bosh and DRose were in maybe it could be a discussion.. But this current incarnation can't even be towel boys to that team.

Prime
Pippen
Jordan
Barkley
Robinson
Ewing
Dream
Stockton
Magic(1 year off, but still basically in his late prime)
Malone
Drexler

10 of the 12 players were in their PRIME years. 12 Hall of Famers no question. 2 of the best if not the BEST perimeter defenders in NBA History(MJ, Pippen).

Seriously stop the discussion.. There is no comparison. But lets do this.. Starting Lineups

1. Magic >> DWilliams
2. Jordan >> Kobe
3. Pippen >>Durant
4. Barkley <<Lebron
5. Robinson >>Chandler

Only advantage for 2012 team there is Lebron, even then i want to see how lebron would do against a Beast like Barkley in the block. Every other match is a no contest. Pippen would frustrate the fuck out of Durant, Jordan destroy Kobe.. Magic would have his way with Dwill.. Robinson would make Chandler Cry

Forgot Bird. Retirement year but still capable of dropping 20 PPG. Also Mullin was a 25PPG/50%+FG/85+%FT/5RPG/2SPG player in his prime. And as good as Lebron is, Barkley isn't that far off offensively. Lebron is a better defender and is just more well-rounded.

Also CP3 would be the starter over Deron.

Fantomex

Forgot Bird. Retirement year but still capable of dropping 20 PPG. Also Mullin was a 25PPG/50%+FG/85+%FT/5RPG/2SPG player in his prime. And as good as Lebron is, Barkley isn't that far off offensively. Lebron is a better defender and is just more well-rounded.

Also CP3 would be the starter over Deron.

And don't forget back then you could actually play Defense on people. Hand checking, reaching in, inadvertent elbows :) Jersey Grabs, and not everyone was running out of the way to not get dunked on and being on sports center.

I never said he was a bad guy, just that he's an idiot. He can't stay out of trouble. And its a shame because he was the best player I ever guarded in NC back in high school. Better than Felton, better than Noel, better than wall... Dude had the mccants mindset though. You can't deal with it, you can barely coach it.

I'm all for giving him the 2nd spot though.

I hear that, I just hate it when people mess up in their lives and get forever labeled for it. If he hasn't changed then yeah stay the heck away from him, if he has though he has enough talent to deserve another shot at playing in the NBA.

The biggest issue the current 2012 Team would have with Robinson is that Chandler couldn't help at all because Robinson versus limited defensive attention would dunk everything that came near the paint while on the other end, Robinson could roam pretty easily since he wouldn't have to pay much attention to Chandler. The other huge issue is that Robinson was one of the best ever at drawing fouls while Chandler still fouls too much and then that would leave the completely athletically outmatched Love versus Robinson or Ewing and possibly force guys like Iggy or Durant to guard Malone. Regardless, the 92 team is a lot better.

benjipwns

Banned
The Timberwolves were in talks to trade for Batum, offering two first-round picks and acquiring Kyle Korver from the Bulls in exchange for a second-round pick, a league source said. But the teams were not able to agree to a trade.
Evan Dunlap: Drummond blows a dunk, recovers, floats in a jump hook. Good recovery and sticktoitiveness. Ran the floor for delayed FB layup next play
LEAGUE ON NOTICE

dream Team debates are hilarious. Just hearing comments like these let's you know people's age

Yeah he's used to boxing out bigger dudes
Knicks7.jpg

He's been a cornerstone for a franchise all his career
6YSGu.jpg

Can guard and not get into foul trouble
Tyson%20Chandler%20-%20Dirk.jpg

So good that even the Clippers traded him?
tyson-chandler-2.jpeg

GIFSoup

I was saying nothing about Chandler v Robinson individually. David is obviously the better player. I was responding to the point that Robinson was some sort of xfactor on a team with far superior players both physically and mentally. Let's not let the nostalgia cloud the fact that Robinson was basically the center version of Karl Malone for much of his career before being gifted a couple of rings by Tim Duncan. If I'm coaching the '12 team in this hypothetical matchup, sorry but Robinson isn't getting a lot of my attention on a team with killers like Larry, Michael, Magic, Pippen and even Stockton and Barkley. I'm worried about those guys stepping up and putting their foot on my teams neck before I start freaking out and sending doubles and triples at Robinson.

Fantomex

I was saying nothing about Chandler v Robinson individually. David is obviously the better player. I was responding to the point that Robinson was some sort of xfactor on a team with far superior players both physically and mentally. Let's not let the nostalgia cloud the fact that Robinson was basically the center version of Karl Malone for much of his career before being gifted a couple of rings by Tim Duncan. If I'm coaching the '12 team in this hypothetical matchup, sorry but Robinson isn't getting a lot of my attention on a team with killers like Larry, Michael, Magic, Pippen and even Stockton and Barkley. I'm worried about those guys stepping up and putting their foot on my teams neck before I start freaking out and sending doubles and triples at Robinson.

Ok but then who guards Laettner? Jk

Omega

Banned
Wait, you guys were actually discussing 92 Dream Team vs this 2012 USA team?

I hope no one said 2012 would win.

Oh, and Robinson would shit on Chandler, give me a break.

Was anyone on that team really superior to Robinson athletically or defensively? Robinson also is right up there with KG for greatest possible complimentary player which is pretty important in a game with a ton of stars.

linsivvi

Yeah people forgot how athletic Robinson was when he was young. Of course it wasn't the same ever since he got humiliated by Hakeem in the playoffs his MVP season.

You act like he would even see the ball enough to do damage....

Centers' defense is more important than their offense and Robinson is an all-time great defender who would be "guarding" a below average offensive player who he could ignore and easily recover to. LeBron couldn't score in the paint when KG was in the paint and the same would happen in this hypothetical game because Chandler wouldn't be able to draw Robinson out of the paint.

Centers' defense is more important than their offense and Robinson is an all-time great defender who would be "guarding" a below average offensive player who he could ignore and easily recover to. LeBron couldn't score in the paint when KG was in the paint and the same would happen in this hypothetical game because Chandler wouldn't be able to draw Robinson out of the paint.
Couldn't do what?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
We're talking about context son. You are validating everyone's point, it takes a player from his same era to match up with The Admiral. Hakeem would eventually be in Dream Team 2.0

No, I don't care about this debate.

I've just always enjoyed how the thread clowned on David Robinson. It's tradition.

benjipwns

Banned
The only other center I know that could make a steal and go coast to coast for the dunk is The Dream.

*props*

I miss real centers.
Can't find it now, but there's an insane video of Wilt at Kansas where he explodes and covers like half the court in a second. Surely someone else has seen this one.
lark said:
Come on, in that second one everyone is basically trotting back and just gets out of the way because he's massive.

Wilt, Hakeem, Robinson at their best would run the floor like a guard, beat everyone down the court, they were insane athletic freaks.

Not to say whether or not they're better than Shaq as a basketball player or in terms of impact on the court, but it's not even a contest athletically.

Yeah, and every now and then Shaq made a free throw, too.

c'mon son
Cmon what? Shaq has been doing this shit since he came into the league.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br3AaISFc-A

Its not a fluke.

Can't find it now, but there's an insane video of Wilt at Kansas where he explodes and covers like half the court in a second. Surely someone else has seen this one.

Come on, in that second one everyone is basically trotting back and just gets out of the way because he's massive.

Wilt, Hakeem, Robinson at their best would run the floor like a guard, beat everyone down the court, they were insane athletic freaks.

Not to say whether or not they're better than Shaq as a basketball player or in terms of impact on the court, but it's not even a contest athletically.

There are a few more just on the front page of a youtube search. Saying that the lieutenant and dream were the only centers who could go coast to coast is a straight up lie. Shaqs probably did it as many times as them....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom