• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

Silkworm

Did that WF player flop giving Parker his 4th foul? Slow-mo made it look "flop-ish" but maybe it was legit *shrug*

Edit: Wake making a late push.... might pull out a win.

Silkworm

Son of a bitch. Looks like there won't be any senior night magic for IU. Sorry Sheehey, Gordon, Howard, and Wayer. :-(

Edit: Bye-bye Hood.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Lol @ this team, sorry Wake fans, you might be stuck with Bzzzzzz

Duke is really no different than UK this year, maybe a better record because I think K is a better coach (usually). They are complete frauds and should be no higher than a 4th seed barring a miracle.

Bring on football season.

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 1m
There was an episode in a timeout where the trainer rushed over to K. AD Kevin White was concerned, as were others

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 2m
#Duke's Mike K will not address the media. Is light-headed, the word is. Sending Wojo to discuss Wake loss

^

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
the pain of knowing that we are actually are better would be too much for any Duke fan to bear.

Dude, we went through the Hansbrough/Lawson years, this isn't anything.

Still, its funny where so many Duke fans thought this would be the season would Roy would just plain dagnab give up, no talent to win. 'Cept he's the one thats actually coaching and K is in cruise control. I don't think this UNC team is great, they don;t have to be to win. But Roy has figured out a rotation, when to sub and who, when to zone and when to M2M, outside of Bennett, he's done a good job. K looks like Calipari right now. He has "talent" supposedly but no idea how to make it work. Not enough white kids this year I guess.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest question at this point in the season, more than "what happened to our shooting touch" and "how can Jabari's defense be SO bad":

What the hell happened to Quinn Cook?

On Quinn Cook... I don't know, and I don't particularly like attacking college kids since I'm far older than them, but I just wonder about his mental state. It seems like sometimes he loses focus in the middle of plays while the ball is in his hands. I think he is talented, but his head is just... maybe it's ADHD, I don't know. I just don't trust him running point right now, I feel like he should just play the 2-guard behind Sulaimon and work on movement without the ball.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Another couple of questions:

What happened to the insane on-ball defense we played last game against VT?
Why have we been so cold over the past several (feels like quite a few) games and why isn't that going away? We have excellent shooters. They're getting wide-open looks.

On Quinn Cook... I don't know, and I don't particularly like attacking college kids since I'm far older than them, but I just wonder about his mental state. It seems like sometimes he loses focus in the middle of plays while the ball is in his hands. I think he is talented, but his head is just... maybe it's ADHD, I don't know. I just don't trust him running point right now, I feel like he should just play the 2-guard behind Sulaimon and work on movement without the ball.

I wonder if he's maybe given up a bit, knowing Tyus is getting the keys next year. I wish he and Thorton could swap eligibility...he's the type of backup PG we need behind Tyus. Quinn relies on the ball and playing time and shots too much for him to be successful in that role, and he's just not going to be a scoring option at all next year.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think K has gone the Shawn Michaels route and lost his smile. Seriously though, I think his brother's death fucked him up, and he's not getting any joy or relief from coaching this team.

Which means we'll get late 90's early 2000's asshole Coach K next season. Could be a good thing.

Yall better enjoy Coach while he's there, because it's not like Duke without Coach K is going to be consistently relevant. I don't think any of his current or former assistants are ready for the challenge, and I don't know that Duke could lure a big name coach away from another school where the path might be easier (and I'm not sure I'd want them to). I'd love to see them be able to snag Brad Stevens, but I'm not even sure if that's possible.

Nope, I say let Coach K stick around until he's 80. At least I know Duke will be good, and sometimes even great. This year's team is just good, and I accepted that months ago.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Yall better enjoy Coach while he's there, because it's not like Duke without Coach K is going to be consistently relevant. I don't think any of his current or former assistants are ready for the challenge, and I don't know that Duke could lure a big name coach away from another school where the path might be easier (and I'm not sure I'd want them to). I'd love to see them be able to snag Brad Stevens, but I'm not even sure if that's possible.

Nope, I say let Coach K stick around until he's 80. At least I know Duke will be good, and sometimes even great. This year's team is just good, and I accepted that months ago.

Nobody is going to equal K's success bt Duke went to 4 final fours under Bubas and Foster before K ever set foot on campus.
Duke's best approach is not going to be one from in the family. Collins is the only one I think COULD be good enough for the job. Stevens would get plenty of money at Duke but the main appeal of college gig vs pro gig is full control vs relying on owner and GM to not suck (especially GM). Having a good AD is important, but not on the same level as GM.

No good coach will want to follow K. They will want to be the guy who follows K and fails (Wojo)

Fjordson

Coach K skips post game press conference.

Guess he's going to the NBA next year.
:lol

Or imagine if Calipari had had an outburst like Boeheim's at Duke followed by losing 4 out of 5, including at home on senior night. He might have been run out of the country. Always interesting to see who and what these media goons focus on.

Their coaching jobs have been comparable.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far given how weak the SEC is.

Though I don't even put it all on his coaching, but more recruiting. We're big and athletic and talented, but this class really doesn't fit well together. Not recruiting a single decent shooter is especially killing us. James Young is supposed to be our best outside threat but he was like 1-10 yesterday. Most games we can't hit shit outside the paint.

I'm not trying to downplay Coach K's excellence. He's still the GOAT to me (with all due respect to Coach Wooden, largely sustaining the level of excellence that K has over 3+ decades despite a drastically changing college basketball is more impressive to me) and there's no certainly no guarantee that Duke will be able to be consistently good year-in, year-out when he leaves.

But he's had a bad year on the bench.

HeisenbergLannister said:
:lol yeah, because the media is always so nice to Cal. Forde is particularly in love with him...

It's reciprocal. Obviously Cal's acted a certain way towards the media to earn their ire. There's a reason why he gets treated differently than K, Izzo, Roy, Self, Donovan, Boeheim.

inm8num2

Nebraska should be a solid bubble pick now, especially if they beat Wisconsin at home and maybe win a game in the Big Ten tournament.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Laura Keeley's opening paragraph from her postgame article:

Could have ended the article there, really.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/05/3677254/wake-forest-stuns-duke-for-82.html#storylink=cpy

I think this sums up not only the game, but the season, because you know this same shit has happened before (ND, Clemson, UNC 2nd half, Vermont)

Hood was asked about the effect of Duke’s seven-day break from games: "It affected an immature team," he said, adding that he had seen signs the team wasn’t properly prepared in practice. Instead of addressing it, though, he said he ignored it, figuring the Blue Devils would still come ready to play.

They didn’t.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/05/3677254/wake-forest-stuns-duke-for-82.html#storylink=cpy

I'm not blaming Hood solely, he is new to this position. I think this is a team wide epidemic. They just aren't that into it, and no capable upper classmen to get the younger and unexperienced kids to come correct.

So...which team do we lose to in the first round? This team has first round "upset" all over it.

I'm not blaming Hood solely, he is new to this position. I think this is a team wide epidemic. They just aren't that into it, and no capable upper classmen to get the younger and unexperienced kids to come correct.

So...which team do we lose to in the first round? This team has first round "upset" all over it.

Josh Hairston stays ready. Shame he sucks :(

Fjordson

So what happened with Coach K last night? Apparently went to the hospital after suffering from dizziness after the game. Quick glance at Google news and it doesn't seem like it was anything serious, hopefully everything's okay.

So...which team does Kentucky lose to in the first round? This team has first round "upset" all over it.
Fixed :lol

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So what happened with Coach K last night? Apparently went to the hospital after suffering from dizziness after the game. Quick glance at Google news and it doesn't seem like it was anything serious, hopefully everything's okay.

You have a state full and legion of fans to commiserate with should that happen. We have a state full of collar popping assholes that will point and laugh when it happens to Duke.

We'll just have to beat them in football again.

Light-headedness, kicked in during the second half.

And Duke is totally making it out of the first round, but the 3-6 second round matchup will prove to be the season's death blow.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Well, We've had the 1 seed and had to play Baylor in Houston, Zona in LA, and LSU in ATL, not to mention Butler in Indy.

It doesn't really matter.

Yeah I agree with the article, but it's going to be interpreted as "oh so since Duke is now out of the running, suddenly the #1 seed 'doesn't matter anymore'. Typical ESPN Dook bias, ignoring bad losses and sweeping them under the rug, etc etc"

I mean, just look at the comments. ESPN has to know how it's going to come across. They're just playing along with the conspiracy theorists at this point and using it to fuel clicks and page views. The bait is just really obvious here. Normally it's at least wrapped in a shred of real journalism.

New Adidas March Unis

9408UDx.jpg

Considering the fact that we're talking about adidas, these look pretty tame (except for Baylor and ND)

Top Bottom