• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

Sethos

Banned
FXAA covers what SMAA doesn't and viceversa

It's generally not advised to use both of them together, as they can cause problems and counter-act each other. Even create huge performance dips.

It's not a multiple-pass kind of deal.

Oh a new page, have nothing to show *rummages around Abload account* - One Borderlands 2 shot.

1zlqvc.png

xNAPx

Banned
It's generally not advised to use both of them together, as they can cause problems and counter-act each other. Even create huge performance dips.

It's not a multiple-pass kind of deal.

Oh a new page, have nothing to show *rummages around Abload account* - One Borderlands 2 shot.

1zlqvc.png

when i use both together i just see improvements in anti-aliasing quality, also there is a blurred image and performance hit but you can repair blurred image with sweet fx, there is some game anyway i don't use both because useless, like half life 2 where fxaa seems not detected

when i use both together i just see improvements in anti-aliasing quality, also there is a blurred image and performance hit but you can repair blurred image with sweet fx, there is some game anyway i don't use both because useless, like half life 2 where fxaa seems not detected

Doesn't sweet fx also use SMAA? Or can you have the sharpness and colour effects on separately from the AA?

Sethos

Banned

Sounds like the ultimate IQ crapper cocktail, to be honest.

iNvid02

really should get back into skyrim, but it'll involve starting a new game and tweaking everything and getting a ton of mods and then playing the damn thing with the dlc

its just so daunting. currently hopping from game to game and messing around, its a lot of fun

edit: that looks good corky, how does it play?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It controls well, some fun TPS action going on, shooting and sliding - dashing and slashing - feels good and all... the performance is good/great considering the settings used and the fact that it's still a beta ( messing about ~4k res, 45 fps avg, all settings max, one 670 ) . With all that said, it's a game filled to the brim with shite F2P concepts. I can't fathom how people agree to games like these. I mean I've played dota 2, hawken, planetside 2 etc and outside of dota 2 I don't understand how far some of these games push "F2P".

Each weapon has a "skill tree", with tons of unlockables to chip away at, and modules to fill ( buy ), buy more weapons, buy more colors for your character, buy a healing grenade, buy a hacking tool, buy 1UPs/Revives etc etc etc.

It looks good though, outside of the IQ I'm expecting next-gen console games to look like this. Lots of "eye-candy" effects, like object based motion blur, DOF and bloom to make it look next-geny, hopefully PC games will evolve more than that.

warframe2013-01-0412-weqlt.png

warframe2013-01-0411-kgqmv.png

Sethos

Banned
It's Free 2 Pay? Guess that's a nail in the coffin :p It sounds decent enough though, I'll just enjoy the shots.

It controls well, some fun TPS action going on, shooting and sliding - dashing and slashing - feels good and all... the performance is good/great considering the settings used and the fact that it's still a beta ( messing about ~4k res, 45 fps avg, all settings max, one 670 ) . With all that said, it's a game filled to the brim with shite F2P concepts. I can't fathom how people agree to games like these. I mean I've played dota 2, hawken, planetside 2 etc and outside of dota 2 I don't understand how far some of these games push "F2P".

Each weapon has a "skill tree", with tons of unlockables to chip away at, and modules to fill ( buy ), buy more weapons, buy more colors for your character, buy a healing grenade, buy a hacking tool, buy 1UPs/Revives etc etc etc.

And I continue to dream of what Dark Sector could have been. I stopped playing this game a while ago, been in the beta for weeks. It was mostly a ghost town. Always ran into the same, single player every once in a while. Fun to play co-op for bit but yeah, you're on the money.

I don't think I ever heard of that Warframe game, but it looks fairly interesting.

Looks can be deceiving, once the eye candy wears off (and it will fast). It's a really shallow experience. Maybe it'll improve, who knows.

Corky

Last couple for now.

I don't like this trend though, some ridiculously high budget(-looking) games that end up as F2P games. As previously mentioned, I've played and enjoyed both Hawken and PS2 but considering their monetization structure I dipped my toes in each game for a couple of hours and considered myself done with them. Warframe is another game I'll add to that echelon of games that I wholeheartedly believe that I'd fall for and/or play for a decent amount of time had it not been for their souldraining F2P concepts.

Say what you want about excessive motion blur in modern games but damn if it doesn't have great coverage method in this game, very clean/accurate without motion blur bleeding or w/e it's called.

warframe2013-01-0412-85cl7.png

warframe2013-01-0412-m9f4h.png

KKRT00

Last couple for now.

I don't like this trend though, some ridiculously high budget(-looking) games that end up as F2P games. As previously mentioned, I've played and enjoyed both Hawken and PS2 but considering their monetization structure I dipped my toes in each game for a couple of hours and considered myself done with them. Warframe is another game I'll add to that echelon of games that I wholeheartedly believe that I'd fall for and/or play for a decent amount of time had it not been for their souldraining F2P concepts.

There is a reason why coop/mp games are being converted to F2P. Imagine how Hawken/Tribes/WoT would sold, and what kind of community it would have, one year after release if it wouldnt be F2P. It would be a desert, same goes for Planetside 2 that relay heavily on high player count. F2P games also get much more updates than payed one games on year-to-year basis to keep community alive and compete with other games.
Of course not every F2P model is good, but planned decently is not only more fair to consumers than payed model, but gives developers higher revenue over time, cut most of publishers/retails and eliminate piracy completely.

Xyber

Figured it was time to play some god damn Batman again. I'm still amazed by how good the game looks, can't wait to see what some developers will be able to do when we get some new consoles.

ixmXhiMZeREm5.png

ig0p2kKeJKBxd.png

Shaneus

Still need to do some tweaking on the AA as you can see, but it still looks great in motion anyway. I loves my arcade racers on PC :)
rru.exe_2013-01-04-09jvo5u.png

rru.exe_2013-01-04-09n1r80.png

Corky

There is a reason why coop/mp games are being converted to F2P. Imagine how Hawken/Tribes/WoT would sold, and what kind of community it would have, one year after release if it wouldnt be F2P. It would be a desert, same goes for Planetside 2 that relay heavily on high player count. F2P games also get much more updates than payed one games on year-to-year basis to keep community alive and compete with other games.
Of course not every F2P model is good, but planned decently is not only more fair to consumers than payed model, but gives developers higher revenue over time, cut most of publishers/retails and eliminate piracy completely.

Will I don't disagree with what you say I still don't like the fact that the F2P model is TOO ingrained in certain games. It's like they refuse to accept a happy medium. Look at Dota 2, there are things to buy for thousands of dollars but noone is up in arms over it. Why?

Simple:

a) it's only cosmetic
b) isn't insanely priced
c) you can trade everything ( or close to everything ) you buy or get as a drop, things have a tangible value to them after they've dropped.
d) you can't buy gameplay enhancing F2P items ( yet )

Now look at the games I think approach this horribly, like PS2 ( and I'm sure a lot of these points can be applied to almost every other F2P game )

a) not exclusively cosmetic items
b) it's insanely priced
c) can't trade anything, heck you can't swap things between your own characters/classes
d) it affects gameplay

But let's disregard all of that for one second and approach the worst part of all - some(most) of these games have "too deep" of a monetization level. In PS2 the F2P concept is mindboggingly deep ( in a bad way )

Unique character -> factions -> skins -> classes -> class stat/trait upgrades -> weapons for respective classes -> "micro" ( scopes, silencers ) items for each ( and I mean each ) weapon -> item upgrades -> vehicles -> vehicle stat/trait upgrades -> vehicle skins -> vehicle weapons....GAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I can't continue but there's too much to list.

Too. Much. Shit. And EVERYTHING costs money in one way shape of form. If they could figure out a happy medium like maybe you buy class bundles that are all inclusive for X amount of dollars instead of going so deep that you pay for the color of each individual finger nail.

Surely too much of the above deters players instead of attracting them to the game.

Dennis

Banned
Could you expand on this?

Removing all the HUD elements means you no longer have an ammo counter. You have to keep track of that in your head. You can no longer see how close enemies are to detecting you nor where they are located. You get only the information your eyes and ears provide for you. The health bars are also gone.

Playing at the highest difficulty level.

For immersion, holstering of weapons.

Very engrossing and difficult game.

jediyoshi

Not sure if I see the distinction of why how good it looks is relevant. Sounds like you'd have made up your mind about the game completely regardless of how much production went into the presentation or not. Seems more rather like a consequence of more games opting to go that route rather than an actual conscience merging of the two.

Corky

Not sure if I see the distinction of why how good it looks is relevant.

How good it looks is directly in correlation with how bad the F2P aspects of the game will be. The more money is siphoned into the game ( production values ) the higher return on investment is expected and thus will result in that deep F2P-drainage I mentioned previously.

Sounds like you'd have made up your mind about the game completely regardless of how much production went into the presentation or not

Is this a bad thing? Not sure I understand, are you saying I'm not judging a game solely based on its visuals?

This page (100ppg) is definitely one of the best in terms of shot selection. Fuckin Project CARS man...shit is too schway for us mere mortals. Spiderman looks good enough visually for me to buy JUST to take screenshots. I also need to planetside more.

Xyber

It is a great looking game and it runs pretty damn good too, even on my AMD card! It's not often that happens!

i1VhWQiZCRagm.png

i5LTNKxoV35De.png

jediyoshi

Is this a bad thing? Not sure I understand, are you saying I'm not judging a game solely based on its visuals?

I'm saying that you fronted that as the premise of your following statement, regardless of it having any relevant bearing on what you would have thought in any case. Good looking games are a dime a dozen now, I wouldn't put much stock in being under the assumption they had to strain themselves one way or the other to pump out those visuals at the risk of sacrificing anything else. Not like they don't already have a pedigree in making visually striking games.

second shot is great, you can turn the hud off from the options menu leaving just the money counter
Ah awesome thanks for that, I knew I wouldn't look in the right place. All the friggin notifications really aren't required.

Need to ditch those JPEGs though ;) Just capture 'em in BMP and convert to PNG, or save as PNG directly. We don't care about data limits 'round these parts, pardner.
Direct capture in BMP and converted to JPEG in Photoshop, been a while since I posted anything here! All future conversions will be PNG I promise. :)

EDIT: >_< Thanks KKRT00 just changed Fraps to PNG, I need more sleep!

KKRT00

Will I don't disagree with what you say I still don't like the fact that the F2P model is TOO ingrained in certain games. It's like they refuse to accept a happy medium. Look at Dota 2, there are things to buy for thousands of dollars but noone is up in arms over it. Why?

Simple:

a) it's only cosmetic
b) isn't insanely priced
c) you can trade everything ( or close to everything ) you buy or get as a drop, things have a tangible value to them after they've dropped.
d) you can't buy gameplay enhancing F2P items ( yet )

Now look at the games I think approach this horribly, like PS2 ( and I'm sure a lot of these points can be applied to almost every other F2P game )

a) not exclusively cosmetic items
b) it's insanely priced
c) can't trade anything, heck you can't swap things between your own characters/classes
d) it affects gameplay

But let's disregard all of that for one second and approach the worst part of all - some(most) of these games have "too deep" of a monetization level. In PS2 the F2P concept is mindboggingly deep ( in a bad way )

Unique character -> factions -> skins -> classes -> class stat/trait upgrades -> weapons for respective classes -> "micro" ( scopes, silencers ) items for each ( and I mean each ) weapon -> item upgrades -> vehicles -> vehicle stat/trait upgrades -> vehicle skins -> vehicle weapons....GAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I can't continue but there's too much to list.

Too. Much. Shit. And EVERYTHING costs money in one way shape of form. If they could figure out a happy medium like maybe you buy class bundles that are all inclusive for X amount of dollars instead of going so deep that you pay for the color of each individual finger nail.

Surely too much of the above deters players instead of attracting them to the game.
Thats why i wrote 'decently planned F2P'. Not every F2P model is good, but i personally can overlook exp boosts and even a little overextended grind design, if its not pay to win, so it doesnt affect Your performance in competitive ground like for example +30% armor boost available only in cash shop.
Of course the best design is pure cosmetic only or system like Guild Wars 2 where You can easily exchange currency with playerbase, but those arent always the most profitable, especially for smaller devs.
Still currency trading should be standard feature in every F2P game, but should also be 100% secure and thats probably the biggest turn off for many devs.

===
Direct capture in BMP and converted to JPEG in Photoshop, been a while since I posted anything here! All future conversions will be PNG I promise. :)
Capture in PNG, it saves space :)

xNAPx

Banned
Doesn't sweet fx also use SMAA? Or can you have the sharpness and colour effects on separately from the AA?

Radeon Pro is awesome, with that you can use both fxaa and smaa and also sweet fx, you can create a sweet fx preset with smaa disabled and using it through radeon pro, i also downsample everygame i Play in order to achieve a better image quality, in this way Aliasing is just a memory. Look at my borderland screen or cinematic mod one, aliasing is kinda Zero

xNAPx

Banned
Truth. CM is like a compilation of everything wrong with 'modding' these days. From horrifically large textures that just get mipped to oblivion anyways, same terribly low-poly models, egregious use of (almost always badly done) photosourcing, and a disregard for the strengths and limitations of the engine.
I would really like to know what's wrong with this

Someone will not appreciate this...

BEFORE

iNNfzq7heyHGf.png

AFTER

iEpVWYA4wqxzB.png

Are you serious guys? C'mon

Shaneus

This is going to sound weird... but the effects coming from the lights, that are kind of like bloom but only refracting the light in four directions rather than 360 degrees... would it be possible to make a post-processing filter to do something like that? It really caught my eye with how good it looked and I imagine it would be a fairly cheap (resource-wise) thing to implement as a universal thing, but I don't actually know if it'd be possible.

I might actually post it over in the SFX thread over at G3D, that's probably better.

Corky

1) The desaturated colors are horrible
2) The "dirt" texture that's slapped on the woodpanels and wallpaper is ugly
3) Superfluous bloom (?)
4) City 17 isn't a city that hasn't been inhabited by people for like 100 years. In that scene you're fleeing the combine in apartments that have people living in them, even though the house is originally dilapidated it's done in a much more subtle way and not looking like something straight out of Fallout 3. <- something that a lot of modders just can't get right, which is WHY certain things look like they do instead of just cranking the texture-res from 9 to 10 with no regard to the original scene.
5) Adding extra graffiti on walls is a lazy way for mods to make things look even more rundown/apocalyptic/whatever
6) The floor might be the only redeeming thing in that shot and even that I'm not sure if I'll give the mod.
7) Those wooden planks as doorframes are just stupid. Another thing I hate with certain mods, adding things for the sake of adding them.

8) and the most important part, none of the above matters if you think the modded version looks better - by all means play it like that no need to justify nor account for your own taste.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

For many people, including those that create games, the art assets included in a game (models, textures, etc) aren't just about resolution. They're also about colours, patterns, and tones. People don't just, say, make a wall texture. Specific colours and patterns are chosen to convey mood, atmosphere, and location. Valve's artists are among the best in the industry for paying very close attention to the quality of their assets and cohesion with the game world, particularly the kind of atmosphere they convey, and the visual feedback to the player.

Modded Half-Life 2 looks significantly better in raw technical detail. But colours, tones, and patterns? Not necessarily. Changes have been made, significantly, to the patterns and colours of each texture. And in turn the environment itself take on a new look. It's not the mood and atmosphere the developers intended. And for some people, like myself, that change negatively outweighs any technical improvement.

Anywho. Joanne, who writes our Game Lens feature, has put one up for Just Cause 2. Here's a couple of her shots.

jc2-admiring-the-view3qpbz.jpg

jc2-insertion-1080hiq4c.jpg

Top Bottom