• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

Sethos

Banned
I feel most of them do, but this one particularly exemplifies it. The best cases I saw when running it were during the introductory opera house sequence. Though, the terrain geometry gets quite flat, and I suppose thus flatly lit. But to be fair, I have not played the whole game, and it might be duller on the whole.

Fine you think that but doing that 'Oh, what did you guys say again' nonchalant attitude is annoying. The game does have flat lighting and lacks eye popping details in the outdoor ports, where you spend most of your time. An opera house here, a side sequence there where the lighting looks alright doesn't make up for the 95% of the game which simply just looks flat. The dull colours doesn't help either. This is one of the few games out today where I'd say SweetFX is almost mandatory.

I like softness to an image to be applied via a dynamic processing effect, like depth of field, motion blur, or anything that isn't permanent or static. My above The Witcher 2 shots are good examples of what I mean. The depth of field varies based on the time of day and the weather condition. Light rays blooming through distant trees with soft depth of field look incredible, as does the slight shimmering of distant objects when there's a storm. But the intensity of the effect still varies, especially based on your distance from something. Get close enough and the detail returns.

Soft SGSSAA, or poor FXAA, gives an image what I consider to be an unnatural and disorienting blur, because clarity never improves and the softness never goes away. It's like it makes my brain feel drunk or something.

I agree. In fact, I was thinking how perfectly you're second recent Witcher 2 shot shows how a wee bit o' motion blur can really bring a natural feel. And, with my own recent experiments, downsample + ubersample looks stunningly good. I prefer it to sgssaa's more accented blur, and FXAA can get pretty bad. But I'd rather the blur than the aliasing because its seems more leant towards reality.

Though... I guess my prefrence is really temporal too. I think what bugs me about the harsher image is the strange sense you get seeing even very minimal aliasing in motion. For that reason, I think TXAA is brilliant. The jaggies are there but I don't care, because things seem solid and unwavering. Solidity is the thing, and dof and motion blur, when done right, show that so well because they remind the eye and mind of real, solid objects, not portrayals of them.

Fine you think that but doing that 'Oh, what did you guys say again' nonchalant attitude is annoying. The game does have flat lighting and lacks eye popping details in the outdoor ports, where you spend most of your time. An opera house here, a side sequence there where the lighting looks alright doesn't make up for the 95% of the game which simply just looks flat. The dull colours doesn't help either. This is one of the few games out today where I'd say SweetFX is almost mandatory.

Sorry. Meant in good humor man. I suppose my point is, yes the geometry is flat and empty, but the lighting engine is quite good. Especially for an open world game. And I defend it because for me it was particularly nice. Did you at least like the eye catch lights?

Also, I don't meant to bring up walls of texts.

Literally the only other screenshot I have, and I think it illustrates both our points. That book looks horrible.

ac3sp_2012_12_12_03_4g4jrj.jpg

Sorry. Meant in good humor man. I suppose my point is, yes the geometry is flat and empty, but the lighting engine is quite good. Especially for an open world game. And I defend it because for me it was particularly nice. Did you at least like the eye catch lights?

Also, I don't meant to bring up walls of texts.

Literally the only other screenshot I have, and I think it illustrates both our points. That book looks horrible.

ac3sp_2012_12_12_03_4g4jrj.jpg

I thought it was a stone tablet.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Dark Seer, Nyx Assassin and Pudge

dota2013-01-1912-38-3evofl.png

Pudge, Outworld Destroyer ( err Devourer? ) and Death Prophet's tits chasing Dark Seer. Bonus Chaos Knight corpse. Run Dark Seer RUN!

dota2013-01-1912-41-5t1q7j.png

The bitter bitter pain of tutorials.

Really though, I like the SGSSAA one. I'm interested in how some people prefer very sharp, crispy images as opposed to softer, more natural ones. I can kinda see it both ways, though my preference is the softer. I feel that the crispy harshness can emphasize the videogamey-ness?

I see what you're saying, but that is the exact reason I love super-sharp (without any sharpening filters, of course) super clean graphics. Because they are video-gamey and I really really like videogames.

Edit: See Dota 2, above.

I see what you're saying, but that is the exact reason I love super-sharp (without any sharpening filters, of course) super clean graphics. Because they are video-gamey and I really really like videogames.

Edit: See Dota 2, above.

Dota looks very good. And corky's shots a quite nicely clean. That I like. That sort of 'videogamey' I really like as well. I mean it more in the same vein as when you can tell in a movie that an actor was on a green screen. Sometimes aliasing and sharpness is like that to me.

HOW DO I REMOVE THE DIRT FILTER???

bf32013-01-1907-32-11v5aw7.png

bf32013-01-1907-43-10tcry7.png

Wanny

Exactly.

Use of dynamic effects to constantly change the appearance of the image is what you want - DoF, weather changing, blur kicking in when moving and stuff like that. A constant myopia effect on everything is horrible and personally I can't fathom people can play like that.

Yep. A constant blurring in games also trick my brain into "dude you need glasses" and then my eyes hurt after only a few seconds. I hate FXAA/forced DOF with such passion.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DOTA2 is fucking incredible looking. The character art is out of this world. It's simply insane how much personality and identity is conveyed by the look of a single character, one of many so varied, yet all cohesive and convincingly part of the same world.

HOW DO I REMOVE THE DIRT FILTER???

You don't :(.

Zeth

What software do you folks use for this downsampling madness? Would it be worth it on some less demanding games with a 660Ti @ 1080P?

Corky

DOTA2 is fucking incredible looking. The character art is out of this world. It's simply insane how much personality and identity is conveyed by the look of a single character, one of many so varied, yet all cohesive and convincingly part of the same world.

Definitely, the entire concept of the game pretty much stands and falls upon that concept. At times it comes close to looking like concept art, also the animations and some of the effects are astonishing in motion especially when viewing them in replay-mode during slow-mo.

Slark and Bane whacking away at Roshan.

dota2013-01-1916-02-1n0uib.png

Slark.

dota2013-01-1915-52-5rtuln.png

Even thought Crysis 2+Maldo is an amazing technical achievement, the screenshots look quite unruly.
I cannot exactly put a finger on it (post-effects?), but the AC3 or Dota 2 shots are more pleasant to look at IMO.

So, I'm pretty late to the game with this one. I downloaded Sweet FX after reading all the posts about it, and the recent comments on sharpness spurred/reminded me to try it. Its nuts! I'm mostly surprised by how not too shitty the sharpening filter is. I turned it up a bit and it still holds an okay image; it reminds me of PS's 'unsharp mask'. And the ability to color grade your games is fun, though I fucked it up a little with the highlights. It's weird and not representative of the game, but it makes for cool screenshots.

No SweetFX comparison link:
http://www.abload.de/img/bf32013-01-1907-42-384ifv8.png

bf32013-01-1909-12-47ldkok.png

bf32013-01-1909-15-38n6j0p.png

Blizzard

Banned
I've liked a lot of the screens posted recently, and I'm super jealous of the people who can downsample.

However, I'm one of the presumably tiny minority who doesn't like the DOTA 2 art style. I don't like the color balance, don't care for the champion designs, and looking at those pictures I feel confused about what certain models are actually representing. It makes for smooth screenshots, and I seem to recall Valve having very detailed rules about how they design everything DOTA 2 (colors etc.), but the overall effect is not one I think I would want to look at for very long in a game.

This is where the color went wack, as this part is already weirdly graded. But in the end, I actually quite like the image.

bf32013-01-1909-56-45vjk2y.png

bf32013-01-1910-08-48equxo.png

Fucking dirt.

Also, I'm actually playing this blleadfhlheg campaign cause sometimes its damn pretty. But I don't think I'll pour anymore screens in unless it's really especially cool, because I realize there's been more than plenty of BF3 here.

Shaneus

One of the fucked things I noticed with MW is that it does that zooming thing whenever you start getting speed or revs up or something. It's most noticeable with the Panamera, but if you do a donut in it, you can actually see the car stretching because of how the camera works.

It looks like that's what's happening in the last shot, but the other way. It's getting shorter!

I love the conversation in this thread. People be like professors of the MBA program on "How to Capture Screens and Post Processing 101", wish I could post some more screens though. Keep it up bros.

I'm currently forgoing downsampling on my LCD to use my SONY WEGA as a comfy couch with Big Picture, So, I'm only playing games at 720p to enjoy the large screen. Soon though, I'll be back to my 1680x1050 screen and my beloved downsampling resolution of 3360x2100. (even though my 560(non-ti) will cry).

Anyone know when the next Nvidia cards will start to appear? I'd like to max my GPU to downsample more with a 680 or maybe a future die shrink of it... because I'm CPU-bound on Phenom2-940 3.0GHz-stock.(best CPU my AM2+ mobo supports with custom BIOS).

My GPU upgrades to this 2006 rig were as so: 7950 GX2(2x in quad SLI <_<), 9800GT 1GB, 560 1GB. I DONT WANNA LET MY BABY DIE! Shiela is 6 years old and still truckin!

I like to call it Swords and Tits the MMORPG featuring questionable playable races.

Well, I'm playing the demo version for now until they launch the F2P platform, so that may be why =/

It only shows up when I remove the HUD.

It's always like that regardless if you're trial or paying monthly (the Tera watermark isn't a server side thing. Trial accounts are the full game install there's just a cap on your account). The watermark is random, sometimes it doesn't show up other times it does. There is no reasoning behind it than I can find.

Sethos

Banned
This game fucking blows. I didn't like Revelations, either. What happened?

In my opinion, they crammed way too much shit in there and went way above their heads. So the hundreds of features that are in the game, just feel rushed and shallow.

The entire direction of the game just feels all over the place.

scitek

In my opinion, they crammed way too much shit in there and went way above their heads. So the hundreds of features that are in the game, just feel rushed and shallow.

Yeah, I agree. All of the side missions are comprised of nothing more than planting something on a guy that's 5 feet away, or beating up a group of Red coats and letting a guy out of stocks. It's boring. I wonder what communication was like between studios during development.

That and Desmond's sections were outsourced. They should just bring Liberty to 360/PS3, flesh out the story and give it a little oomphf in the marketing department.

Corky

For those reading this thread and have always wondered what the hell downsampling is I made a pseudo-guide for how to get stuff working on an Nvidia setup.

Also I would appreciate it if anyone who uses custom resolution downsampling chimed in in the thread and shared their settings with the rest of gaf so people have an idea on which resolutions generally work and on what setups.

Thanks in advance.

The thread.

Ps. Fuck Eatchildren <3

Top Bottom