• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

Sethos

Banned
Trying the custom Crysis 2 map posted earlier

1gmr4o.png

4hap2u.png

AlterOdin

Durante has made this one of the prettiest game this gen (although PC doesn't have "gens"). Crazy that a "lazy" console port has such high quality assets. If the next one looks anything like this I would be happy.

data2013-01-2223-29-4gbcuc.png

data2013-01-2223-29-4oadqc.png

Ryoku

Does anyone know of a fix to the current Crysis 2 DX11 issue with Windows 8? Game launches in a custom, rectangular window and the resolution is set to undefined. Doesn't seem to be many answers on the web to the issue. Really want to give Maldo's texture pack a go now that I have the computer to handle it. And given this is the first Windows 8 related issue I've encountered no revert to 7 comments please :p

Go into Maldo's Config Utility. From there, Advanced Config, and lower the anti-aliasing option to (I think) the third highest. The issue is with the SMAA on Windows 8.

Go into Maldo's Config Utility. From there, Advanced Config, and lower the anti-aliasing option to (I think) the third highest. The issue is with the SMAA on Windows 8.

wait a minute. SMAA as a whole doesn't work on windows 8? that's a shame. I was thinking of formatting my pc when my ssd arrives and install W8, but now i'm not so sure...

Ryoku

wait a minute. SMAA as a whole doesn't work on windows 8? that's a shame. I was thinking of formatting my pc when my ssd arrives and install W8, but now i'm not so sure...

I don't know if it's SMAA itself, or how it's implemented with Crysis 2. But on the plus side, my PC boots up in ~10 seconds with Windows 8 on my Samsung 830 SSD :D

I do not normally like porsches. Yet two of my favorite cars are porsches, and both are in this game. Joy. Though truly, what I want is the RUF Yellowbird.

nfs132013-01-2223-18-mnza1.png

nfs132013-01-2223-35-2eam4.png

Smash88

Banned
Everything works perfectly, some games even work better especially when it comes to alt + tabbing, they seem to respond a lot better. FSX being the prime example, I couldn't alt + tab because that would make it impossible to maximize again but under Windows 8 it works like a charm.

So no problems here.

I'm just wondering, I heard compatibility issues with older games, is this true?

For instance if I wanted to play Beyond Good and Evil would that pose a problem? Or any older game for that matter?

Also I wanted to say Kyle you are my favourite poster in this thread. Keep up the great work, I love your settings and use them in most of my games.

I'm just wondering, I heard compatibility issues with older games, is this true?

For instance if I wanted to play Beyond Good and Evil would that pose a problem? Or any older game for that matter?

Also I wanted to say Kyle you are my favourite poster in this thread. Keep up the great work, I love your settings and use them in most of my games.

I dont think so, I haven't heard of any problems nor have I had any myself. It seems essentially the same as 7 in the compatibility area.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I do not normally like porsches. Yet two of my favorite cars are porsches, and both are in this game. Joy. Though truly, what I want is the RUF Yellowbird.

nfs132013-01-2223-18-mnza1.png

That is gorgeous.
Not coincidentally, that happens to be my favorite Porsche/one of my favorite cars.

Sethos

Banned

That I can't answer, haven't played many older games per say. I have heard a few has some problems but a lot of them can be solved with compatibility mode. So you better Google search that on a per game basis I think.

I'm sure plenty of you know about this already, but for those that don't here's a Photoshop tip for those of you who enjoy that PNG lifestyle.

When you open up your screens in Photoshop and then save them as a PNG you are presented with an option to leave it uncompressed or to use a small amount of compression.

pngsavenfu7d.jpg

Now I know that 'compression' is a scary bad word around here, but I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference between these two screens:

Un-compressed - File size: 4.12MB
ac3sp_2013_01_20_19_0afulx.png

Compressed - File size: 2.29MB
ac3sp_2013_01_20_19_0ysudm.png

By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings! To me they look absolutely identical but the difference in file size is rather nice.

Keep in mind I'm using Photoshop CS6 and I am unsure if this compression feature is in previous versions.

Sethos

Banned
Is it somehow possible to make your PNGs take up even more space? I need to offset all this size malarkey.

iNvid: Beautiful.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm sure plenty of you know about this already, but for those that don't here's a Photoshop tip for those of you who enjoy that PNG lifestyle.

When you open up your screens in Photoshop and then save them as a PNG you are presented with an option to leave it uncompressed or to use a small amount of compression.

http://www.abload.de/img/pngsavenfu7d.jpg[img]

Now I know that 'compression' is a scary bad word around here, but I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference between these two screens:

Un-compressed - File size: 4.12MB
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/ac3sp_2013_01_20_19_0afulx.png[img]

Compressed - File size: 2.29MB
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/ac3sp_2013_01_20_19_0ysudm.png[img]

By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings! To me they look absolutely identical but the difference in file size is rather nice.

Keep in mind I'm using Photoshop CS6 and I am unsure if this compression feature is in previous versions.[/QUOTE]

I believe what the option does is either

A. Just save it as quickly as possible, but result in a larger file size. Or

B. Take the time then and there to try and shrink the size down as small as possible WITHOUT changing the image in any way.

So basically the slower method will spit out the same looking image, just it took the time to optimize it during saving so that it was smaller.

Spazznid

Is it somehow possible to make your PNGs take up even more space? I need to offset all this size malarkey.

iNvid: Beautiful.

Naw, dog.

I tried, and it's just too much hassle to make them bigger. I think I've hit the sweet spot right now. Big enough, yet easy.

Top Bottom