• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Let the JPEG Die Already

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ik4HlAnDPhYTf.png

ifWOFICc8qLun.png

TheExodu5

Banned
plenty of flaws and stupid decisions made with ac3, but underneath there is still a pretty good game

pc version is superb if you can run it maxed - but there are still performance issues (my 690/2600k still cant get solid 60 in the cities) so i wouldnt recommend buying it just yet

Wow, that's pretty disappointing considering Brotherhood was silky smooth on my GTX 570.

RoKKeR

I had it cranked to "Very High" and yes there are a lot of jaggies. I didn't spend much time in the settings and just took the shots as I played. Any recommendations for me?

I had it cranked to "Very High" and yes there are a lot of jaggies. I didn't spend much time in the settings and just took the shots as I played. Any recommendations for me?

Look through the first post and learn about some of the downsampling, injectors and stuff. I only just started using the injectors, sweetfx etc. as well. I knew about them but never really took screenshots that much either. There are a lot of others here a bit more knowledgeable than me in the intricacies though.

RoKKeR

Look through the first post and learn about some of the downsampling, injectors and stuff. I only just started using the injectors, sweetfx etc. as well. I knew about them but never really took screenshots that much either. There are a lot of others here a bit more knowledgeable than me in the intricacies though.
Awesome, thanks. Looks like we're in about the same boat then. I'll take a look at some of the stuff in the OP and try it out tomorrow.

I don't think I've ever posted pics here but this thread is a must to me as a PC gamer. Does anyone use traditional AA anymore? 2xMSAA or 4/8/16xMSAA. I play with 4xMSAA or higher, bascially as long as there are no jaggies, am I good to go for posting pictures?

I do use some downsampling together with MSAA in games where I can. But I'm downsampling only from 1920x1200 to 1680x1050, as I'm using DVI to VGA and the maximum supported resolution is 2048x1536.

I don't think I've ever posted pics here but this thread is a must to me as a PC gamer. Does anyone use traditional AA anymore? 2xMSAA or 4/8/16xMSAA. I play with 4xMSAA or higher, bascially as long as there are no jaggies, am I good to go for posting pictures?

Of course, just don't compress the pictures...

Also more Sleepy Doggies

hypesthypelpd79.png

Blizzard

Banned
I'm sure plenty of you know about this already, but for those that don't here's a Photoshop tip for those of you who enjoy that PNG lifestyle.

When you open up your screens in Photoshop and then save them as a PNG you are presented with an option to leave it uncompressed or to use a small amount of compression.

pngsavenfu7d.jpg

Now I know that 'compression' is a scary bad word around here, but I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference between these two screens:

Un-compressed - File size: 4.12MB
ac3sp_2013_01_20_19_0afulx.png

Compressed - File size: 2.29MB
ac3sp_2013_01_20_19_0ysudm.png

By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings! To me they look absolutely identical but the difference in file size is rather nice.

Keep in mind I'm using Photoshop CS6 and I am unsure if this compression feature is in previous versions.
Does anyone have a convenient utility for comparing pixel data from two images? I could probably write one myself but I'm lazy. =P I'm just curious if this is just using the different PNG lossless compression levels (like gzip -9 vs gzip -1) or whether Photoshop actually has some sort of weird lossy compression option.

I can't see differences between the two, but I'm curious from a technical standpoint.

Shaneus

The Cave

Hey look, another DoubleFine game locked at 30 fps. Fuck. Sakes.

iXau3jLh7xkxT.png

iynVPel2PgFYZ.png
Ugh, fucking *really*? What if you turn vsync off?

Hopefully someone'll write an unlocker for it (and it doesn't break the game).

Does anyone have a convenient utility for comparing pixel data from two images? I could probably write one myself but I'm lazy. =P I'm just curious if this is just using the different PNG lossless compression levels (like gzip -9 vs gzip -1) or whether Photoshop actually has some sort of weird lossy compression option.

I can't see differences between the two, but I'm curious from a technical standpoint.
With the amount of bandwidth that compression has saved, it's been chewed up by the number of people who have quoted that post. Brilliant!

iNvid02

yup i disabled that shit asap. only downside is there is an extra step to go through before you can play because uplay doesnt like you disabling the overlay, so now its:

1. open uplay
2. click go to game
3. click play
4. click launch game
5. click singleplayer

if you got it on steam thats another couple to go through -_-, wtf ubi

well that was fast

RpJQBlr.png
zN1OLa3.png

x3sphere

I wasn't aware you could compress PNGs that heavily, seen a few tools before but they only shaved off a small amount of data. I'll look into it and try to get this implemented on Picpar.

I just used the difference layer mask in Photoshop to compare and did not see any difference between the two.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I would kill to achieve that downsampling image quality in realtime. :\ Looks so fucking good but, even at those same resolutions, it just doesn't look the same while playing.

Desaan

Awesome shots, how is this game running on a modern rig? I am tempted to pick them up

Still one of the greatest PC franchises IMO, massively underrated and deserved more than a sequel. I believe there are fan/community patches for Homeworld 2 with large gameplay overhauls and changes to units.

Cyrano

My understanding of PNG "compression" is that it simply takes color data that is similar and lines it up using pointers to actually place it where it should be when the image is generated (this is actually how .jpeg data works too, but .jpeg basically allows for fuzziness between what colors are taken into consideration, allowing it to load less data overall - in other words, two values for blue might get mixed into one value of blue if the colors are close enough). You can save a lot of space this way and it's similar to compressing files using .zip or .gzip, etc.

As far as I know, PNG is a lossless format, whether it's compressed or not. The uncompressed data loads faster but is larger because the computer doesn't have to perform extra operations on uncompressed data.

Could be wrong, but that's my general understanding.

epmode

The Cave

Hey look, another DoubleFine game locked at 30 fps. Fuck. Sakes.

They posted about that in the official thread. They still plan to remove the 30 FPS cap for this and their other games but it requires some tricky engine retooling. It'll happen eventually.

Lime

How is this? I saw it over at Guru3D for the first time this morning and saw it's pretty inexpensive on Steam. Does it have controller support?

It has 360 controller and joystick support. The developers are also planning to do some post-release content and additions to the game that might improve it. Soundtrack is a must-buy, if you're into Paul Ruskay's style of music.

Here's what I just wrote in the OT:

Some quick notes after playing the first three missions:

• The HUD design is not up to par for similar priced releases. It is not very well integrated into the game and it fails at conveying the needed information in an intuitive and clear manner. It unfortunately looks like a polished placeholder in a closed beta release. This might be the biggest drawback for me right now.
  • Voice acting and/or writing are bordering on unbearable. The manuscript should have gotten a draft review before being sent to VA recording.
  • Paul Ruskay's music is fantastic. It really is high quality compositions and recording.
  • Space vistas are incredibly rich in detail and both are nice and colorful
  • Ship models range in quality in terms of polygon detail - some of them seem too quickly made
  • Weapon diversity make the game very interesting
  • I can't wait for proper cockpit view.

The game is very action-focused and arcade-like, so don't expect a simulation as such. I'd probably recommend playing Freespace 2 with graphic mods over this, if you haven't played the former before, but I'm also a person who prefers simulation and immersion over action and arcade, so take that as you will.

scitek

It has 360 controller and joystick support. The developers are also planning to do some post-release content and additions to the game that might improve it. Soundtrack is a must-buy, if you're into Paul Ruskay's style of music.

Here's what I just wrote in the OT:

The game is very action-focused and arcade-like, so don't expect a simulation as such. I'd probably recommend playing Freespace 2 with graphic mods over this, if you haven't played the former before, but I'm also a person who prefers simulation and immersion over action and arcade, so take that as you will.

Thanks for the impressions. I'm more of an arcade and action guy, so that appeals to me. I'll wait and see if they take any feedback and make changes to the HUD before buying, so I'll probably wait til a sale to pick it up.

Pretty decent game, the combat sections are a little odd though I just think it needs some getting used to. Also too much use of the word 'boss'. I want to be called Don not boss. I also want to choose my consigliere and all that jazz, I hope it get a bit more in depth in the full game. The graphics aren't all bad either the weather effects are particularly good.

omerta1wvq15.png

omerta2w0pjy.png

Top Bottom