• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

You know I was wondering why he was going so early considering they don't start play until 2015. Guess it makes sense that Manchester City want the new club to follow their development model.

xbhaskarx

Wow:

NYPost: Bronx scores $400M soccer stadium

After looking at sites in Queens and Brooklyn, a Major League Soccer franchise on Tuesday stood close to a deal to build a 28,000-seat stadium in The Bronx just south of Yankee Stadium, The Post has learned.

The New York City Football Club — majority owned by the Manchester City Football Club of the Premier League in the UK — is “very, very close” to inking a deal with GAL Manufacturing, an elevator parts company, sources close to the deal said.

The deal with the soccer club, which is 20 percent owned by the Yankees, will also include the not-for-profit Bronx Parking Development Company.

The $400 million stadium will be located on what now is an empty lot between the Major Deegan and East 153rd Street, a source following the situation said.

Mayor Bloomberg has blessed the pact.

However, the team will not move forward without mayor-elect Bill de Blasio’s blessing, and he has not yet reviewed the deal, sources said.

The complex deal includes the NYCFC paying for GAL to relocate.

Under the proposed plan, the NYCFC will fund construction of the stadium with city-backed tax exempt bonds.

The club would make pilot payments through a 35-year deal and guarantee bondholders revenues from suite sales, naming rights and the like, a source said.

That is similar to the way the Yankees, Mets and Forest City Ratner recently paid for their stadiums.

The new MLS team plans to start playing games during the 2015 season at Yankee Stadium.

It hopes to start playing in the new digs in 2018 or 2019, the source said.

Neither the Yanks nor the NYCFC could be reached for comment.

Hmm, not actually done, just very close...

Askani

Christ! Ives Galarcep reeeally wants to see some SKC guys in the January USMNT camp:

GOALKEEPERS — Nick Rimando, Sean Johnson, Tally Hall, Bill Hamid

DEFENDERS — Brad Evans, Chance Myers, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Chris Schuler, Clarence Goodson, Seth Sinovic, Chris Klute

MIDFIELDERS — Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi, Benny Feilhaber, Mix Diskerud, Kyle Beckerman, Luis Gil, Dillon Powers, Ricardo Clark

FORWARDS — Clint Dempsey, Chris Wondolowski, C.J. Sapong, Robbie Findley

I'm sure he would have added Collin if he wasn't French and Rosell if he wasn't Spanish and Nagamura if he wasn't Brazilian.

Nesotenso

Sapong - NO

Chance Myers - Yedlin is a better option to test out.

Sinovic - Decent enough for SKC. physically outmatched at the international and a higher level.

Askani

I missed seeing Sapong in there. lol

No way.

I'd like to see Sinovic in a friendly. I think he could step up to the challenge and be solid. Maybe not a regular starter but not out of the conversation for the 2 or 3 spot.

Osorio

The Yankees and Dubai oil are coming together yet they still need some public money? Disgusting. So glad I don't live in the city.

Also, it's going to be weird being an away team at Yankee Stadium for a few years since I've been a Yankee fan since birth.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Wow:

NYPost: Bronx scores $400M soccer stadium

The Yankees and Dubai oil are coming together yet they still need some public money? Disgusting. So glad I don't live in the city.

Also, it's going to be weird being an away team at Yankee Stadium for a few years since I've been a Yankee fan since birth.

Even if they planted that stadium a block away from me, I would never root for that team. I don't care about any Yankees ties, screw them.

xbhaskarx

Eh I don't care if it's Bill Gates, I'm fine with rich people who are investing in soccer in this country getting help they don't need from local governments. It's still a drop in the bucket compared to other sports like football (see Minnesota handing a criminal close to a billion dollars when he's putting in nothing), not just in the overall costs, but in the type of help they get (compare this deal to what the city did for the Yankees).

xbhaskarx

Christ! Ives Galarcep reeeally wants to see some SKC guys in the January USMNT camp:

Sapong - NO

Chance Myers - Yedlin is a better option to test out.

Sinovic - Decent enough for SKC. physically outmatched at the international and a higher level.

My changes to that list:

Replace Tally Hall with Clint Irwin or Zac MacMath
Replace Ricardo Clark with Dax McCarty or Perry Kitchen
Replace Chance Myers with DeAndre Yedlin or Andrew Farrell
Replace CJ Sapong with Jack McInerney or Will Bruin
Replace Robbie Findley with Gyasi Zardes

And what do guys like Lee Nguyen and Kelyn Rowe need to go to get invited to January Camp?!?
Others I wouldn't mind seeing: George John, Dilly Duka, Matt Hedges, Amobi Okugo

Crazy how fast things change, at the beginning of the season I would have expected Pontius, Rolfe, and Beitashour... Two of those guys fell off and the third is going to the World Cup with Iran.

Askani

"Official: The Sounders have acquired defender Chad Marshall from Columbus in exchange for allocation money and a third-round pick in 2015."

Sounders making a ton of moves, most of which I like. Notable additions

-Stephan Frei
-Tristan Bowen
-Chad Marshall

Notable departures
-Mauro Rosales
-Steve Zakuani

"Official: The Sounders have acquired defender Chad Marshall from Columbus in exchange for allocation money and a third-round pick in 2015."

Where are you getting this from? I've seen it basically ocnfirmed that Marshall's heading to us, but I haven't seen what we're supposed to be giving up in return

Askani

Where are you getting this from? I've seen it basically ocnfirmed that Marshall's heading to us, but I haven't seen what we're supposed to be giving up in return

Twitter. So far I've seen it from Grant Whal, Steven Goff (Joshua Mayers retweet), Ives Galarcep and some other retweets. Doesn't mean it's official but that many sources all about the same time is usually accurate.

EDIT :::::

It's not on the main MLS site yet but http://www.thecrew.com/ and http://www.soundersfc.com/ have stories listed on their pages confirming. So that should be pretty solid info then. :p

"The Columbus Crew today announced that it has traded defender Chad Marshall to Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for allocation money and a 2015 Third Round SuperDraft selection. The agreement was executed prior to Major League Soccer’s 5:00 p.m. ET trade deadline on Wednesday, December 11 ahead of the 2013 MLS Re-Entry Process. Per MLS and club policy, further details of the deal were not disclosed."

Yep. Corporate welfare and brand extensions, what's not to like?

Osorio

Roy Miller is close to signing a deal with Saprissa. Now we need to sign players on both flanks. I doubt Connor Lade is taking that starting spot.

Osorio

Even if they planted that stadium a block away from me, I would never root for that team. I don't care about any Yankees ties, screw them.

Yeah I think most people who were on the fence decided not to jump ship when they announced NYCFC. One guy I know is a Cosmos season ticket holder. Appreciate his moral high ground but I've put way too much time and money into this team to ever switch. As long as ESC is around I'll be around.

Dartastic

Forgot to mention - FUCK YEAH, BAYERN MUNICH. I'm so excited. I can't wait to go to that game. MLS ALL STAR GAME IS GOING TO BE SO GOOOOOOOD

Nesotenso

All I want to know is when SKC is going to cut some people from the roster who we could do without and don't offer anything to the team.

Dartastic

Fuck yeah, we're in Concacaf. That being said, that's pretty shitty for RSL. They were a great team this year, and consistently had our number.

Jeff-DSA

I swear, soccer is the only sport where you'd see such a rule change happen after the qualification period and have it apply retroactively. Ridiculous. You can't make this change now and have it look like anything other than shady.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What does MLS have to do with it? They submitted the change in January. Blame CONCACAF.

RSL should be upset they lost to my team at home. DC was the worst team in league history.

That sucks for RSL, they should have taken away DC's spot instead, since we all know they're not going to do shit in CCL.

Yeah, the CCL spot is why MLS teams need to take the open cup more seriously. Don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm guessing DC won more games in US Open Cup than the whole regular MLS season?

Jeff-DSA

Whatever, DC earned their spot, and at the end of the season, so had RSL. If they couldn't get the rule changed before qualification ended, it shouldn't apply until next season.

Azuran

Banned
I would be excited if we had a decent mid that can control the game and make plays. I seriously have no idea who's gonna feed these new forwards.

xbhaskarx

I would be excited if we had a decent mid that can control the game and make plays. I seriously have no idea who's gonna feed these new forwards.
Well he's not an attacking midfielder but their 22 year old Argentinian DP Matias Laba can help create some chances, and he can definitely help control the game. From what I saw of him before his toe injury he was quite good.

Osorio

Miller and robles re-signed today.

Good to see the continuity from last season. With the signing of a good RB and CAM we will have a solid 1-2 for every position.

Defoe to TFC

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/411716786498052096

"The Reds are believed to be dropping as much as $10 million on a transfer fee to secure the services of a player they'll pay upward of $150,000 per week, numbers that will make Defoe the highest-paid player in MLS history."

Now that Tottenham fired Andre Villas-Boas, I wonder if that will have any impact on TFC signing Defoe?
Spurs still have until January to decide what to do with him so I guess it depends what the next manager coming in thinks about him. He may want to keep him.

Askani

Another guy I don't know anything about. I hope he's actually got some skills instead of being a feelgood hometown signing.

bmdubya

Neo Member
What a game!!! That PK shootout was killing me. I was living and dying with every shot. Partied long last night and woke up with a smile on my face this morning. I'm glad it was in my town. I'm happy that I could go witness it. I was beyond pleased that it was a good game. And I'm ecstatic that we won!

Myers and Besler postgame: http://i.imgur.com/QAm3818.jpg
Zusi, Fielhaber and Dwyer postgame: http://i.imgur.com/WlUOVrn.jpg
Nielsen postgame: http://i.imgur.com/RVm9fWZ.jpg
Collin with the trophy postgame: http://i.imgur.com/JmUlnaz.jpg

Just found this thread! Askani, great pictures! I was in the Cauldron too on the east side. Got there late and had to stand in the walkway behind the bleachers. Great game, I still can't believe we won it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom