• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still on a high from it. I was in the Cauldron just to the right of the goal, about 12 rows back (though we were standing in the isle the whole time).

Oh, by the way, here's the billboard on I-35:

BbekxVDIMAA4K8Y.jpg:large

Askani

Just found this thread! Askani, great pictures! I was in the Cauldron too on the east side. Got there late and had to stand in the walkway behind the bleachers. Great game, I still can't believe we won it.

Welcome to the thread!

Ten days later and I'm still breaking out in random smiles. Heineman said before the game that if you're here it will be a game you'll remember for 20 years. I believe him.

We were on the East side too. Towards the "point".

And if you like pictures:

There's also a picture of me holding it...and uhmm...one where I like...I don't know...maybe kissed it a little. No one wants to see that though. :p

bmdubya

Neo Member
Ten days later and I'm still breaking out in random smiles. Heineman said before the game that if you're here it will be a game you'll remember for 20 years. I believe him.

Same here. We drove in from Colorado for the game. We had just moved to CO in August and had to come back. I think we were in Kansas for a total of like 30 hours, but it was worth it.

Rumor has it we're getting max allocation for EJ. I'm so excite. Back of the napkin calculations have us at somewhere around a million in allocation + cap space; nearly a third of the unadorned salary cap. Time to make it rain.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
We've made some decent moves so far. We still have the #1 pick and I expect more moves in the second stage of reentry draft.

Johnson
Boswell
Franklin
Arnaud

Nesotenso

Rumor has it we're getting max allocation for EJ. I'm so excite. Back of the napkin calculations have us at somewhere around a million in allocation + cap space; nearly a third of the unadorned salary cap. Time to make it rain.

Can you explain what this means? And how much more is EJ going to make at DC?

Askani

There's some rumblings that Jimmy Nielsen may take the coaching job at OKC Energy and they will also be SKCs new USL affiliate.

$650,000 is the maximum amount of allocation you can get from any one transaction. No word yet on how much EJ is going to make, but he's apparently going to be a DP for DCU.

That's interesting. Didn't know there was a cap.

bmdubya

Neo Member
Is there a good example of a goalkeeper making the jump from player to coach and being successful? I don't know if I have ever heard of one.

Nobody gives a fuck about USL. Its all about NASL. USL is trying to sabotage Oklahmoa and others by opening teams at the same time. Its pretty pathetic.

Osorio

Nobody gives a fuck about USL. Its all about NASL. USL is trying to sabotage Oklahmoa and others by opening teams at the same time. Its pretty pathetic.

Can't blame USL trying to save itself with that partnership. USL's been around since before MLS while NASL is an upstart.

bmdubya

Neo Member
Might be doing two away Sporting KC games this year. Since I live in Colorado now, I'll be at the Rapids vs. Sporting game at Dick Sporting Goods Park. Also, my gf just found out she can get $150 plane tickets to Seattle through her job. We might go to the season opener in Seattle. I've never been to an away game before so I am looking forward to it, at least the Colorado game.

Well I just bought Revs season tickets today. Get hype.

Nice! 2014 should be a great year for all of MLS.

Askani

Might be doing two away Sporting KC games this year. Since I live in Colorado now, I'll be at the Rapids vs. Sporting game at Dick Sporting Goods Park. Also, my gf just found out she can get $150 plane tickets to Seattle through her job. We might go to the season opener in Seattle. I've never been to an away game before so I am looking forward to it, at least the Colorado game.

Keep updated with the Cauldron. They usually have free away tickets.

Osorio

That's a good question and I don't have the answer. I don't know if it's the team FO or the group themselves that buy them.

For us, we sell our allocation of away tickets to club members, but there have been a few instances where the FO has bought them. Like New England in 2009 when we had the worst season ever, or a trip to Columbus since they know it's a 16 hour round trip.

However, your FO seems way more friendly than ours and KC is a long distance from just about any opponent so I wouldn't doubt the FO pays for them more often than not.

bmdubya

Neo Member
That's a good question and I don't have the answer. I don't know if it's the team FO or the group themselves that buy them.

For us, we sell our allocation of away tickets to club members, but there have been a few instances where the FO has bought them. Like New England in 2009 when we had the worst season ever, or a trip to Columbus since they know it's a 16 hour round trip.

However, your FO seems way more friendly than ours and KC is a long distance from just about any opponent so I wouldn't doubt the FO pays for them more often than not.

I think for the last few seasons the FO has purchased the tickets and have given them away as long as you sign up on a website. But yeah I was going to keep an eye on that. We have a friend that lives in Seattle, so free ticket and free room means a cheap trip.

bmdubya

Neo Member
Hahahahahahhaah OH BOY IS THERE. :(

Yeah there is one in KC as well. Probably not as long as in Portland. While it sucks, it is actually great that there are clubs in MLS with a waiting list for season tickets. It shows that there is huge interest in these clubs, which can only help the league.

bmdubya

Neo Member
They have it for Roku and Apple TV. I can't speak for PS3 or 360. They don't list them on the main subscription page.

No app for game systems, and you can't use it through the PS3 web browser. I purchased a Chromecast ($35) and that's what I use to stream MLS Live since I don't have a Roku or Apple TV.

Dartastic

No app for game systems, and you can't use it through the PS3 web browser. I purchased a Chromecast ($35) and that's what I use to stream MLS Live since I don't have a Roku or Apple TV.
There's also some weird regional restrictions on it, aren't there? So like, if I want to watch a Timbers away match I might not be able to? Fffff. Ugh.

Also, the idea of Gaston Fernandez, Diego Valeri, Steve Zakuani and Darlington Nagbe in the front sounds awesome. I'm hype.

I also renewed my Thorns season tickets today. There are now 12 games in the season, so that's pretty cool. I'm hoping our ladies take home another title! :D

xbhaskarx

SI on expansion, the Minnesota part is interesting:

Also in Kansas City for the league title game was a group that might be interested in bringing MLS to Minneapolis — and it wasn’t the Vikings. While Beckham’s Miami entry appears to be a matter of “when” and not “if”, there’s an intriguing contest taking shape in the Twin Cities, where the construction of a new soccer-ready NFL stadium may have lit a fire under the owners of local NASL club Minnesota United.

The Vikings expect to open their $1 billion palace in 2016, and the organization claimed last week that “Conversations regarding securing a soccer team for this market have heated up between the Vikings and MLS representatives.” A team spokesperson stood by that characterization when contacted by SI.com on Monday afternoon.

According to multiple sources, however, MLS officials have spent more time with United than the Vikings over the past several weeks. The second-tier club, which won the NASL championship in 2011, is owned by Bill McGuire, a physician and the former CEO of UnitedHealth Group. United plays at the National Sports Center in Blaine, some 14 miles north of downtown Minneapolis, but has acknowledged “preliminary” interest in pursuing an urban, soccer-specific stadium. Representatives were in K.C. to take a look at Sporting Park.

United’s long-term viability might depend on beating the Vikings to the MLS punch, one source said, and it seems McGuire has found an ally in the Minnesota Twins. The baseball team’s president, Dave St. Peter, joined the United contingent and the head of the Minnesota Ballpark Authority three weeks ago in Kansas City.

Owned by investor Jim Pohlad, the Twins are part of a consortium called 2020 Partners aiming to spur development in the area around Target Field, Target Center (the NBA arena) and the Minneapolis Farmers Market. It certainly wouldn’t be cheap to build there, but Pohlad’s resources and relationships might make the difference for McGuire and United. Twins ownership has been interested in MLS for a while, a source told SI.com.

In September, 2020 Partners issued a statement “encourag[ing]” United to “explore the Farmers Market site for a soccer stadium as the potential anchor for development of a multi-use complex.”

The Twin Cities has had a team playing at the lower levels of the U.S. pyramid since 1994 — two years before MLS kicked off. After two decades, it seems a race to the top has begun.

Obviously rooting for United and the Twins over that crook Wilf...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
There's also some weird regional restrictions on it, aren't there? So like, if I want to watch a Timbers away match I might not be able to? Fffff. Ugh.

Also, the idea of Gaston Fernandez, Diego Valeri, Steve Zakuani and Darlington Nagbe in the front sounds awesome. I'm hype.

I also renewed my Thorns season tickets today. There are now 12 games in the season, so that's pretty cool. I'm hoping our ladies take home another title! :D

Are you in the area that gets the Timber games on the local channel? If so you won't be able to watch the games. Unfortunately that is the norm for any major sport.

Dartastic

Are you in the area that gets the Timber games on the local channel? If so you won't be able to watch the games. Unfortunately that is the norm for any major sport.
Yeah. I live in Portland. We have Root Sports, but I don't have cable or satellite.

...I guess I'll continue to sit in the first row... or just keep going to 4-4-2. :)

Also, I guess it's not technically official yet, but whatever. Oh Merritt, you're such a tease. https://twitter.com/MerrittPaulson/status/418154968521011201

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom