• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 game that most lived up to the hype

bjork

The Marvelous Miss Take.

I saw it on steam and went "this looks pretty cool."

I bought it and played some, and it is indeed pretty cool.

SerTapTap

Driveclub--only a few hours in, but it looks as they showed or better, plays quite well, and I like the "social" stuff more than I thought as it's based on real gameplay rather than "add friends to win PRIZES"

Velocity 2X: Knew a sequel to Velocity would be amazing. It's actually more amazing than expected.

Transistor lived up to the hype I saw for Bastion but never felt myself. I'm playing through Bastion again, it's good, but not at all as fun to play as Transistor.

Probably forgetting a bunch

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Bayonetta 2
Smash
Mario Kart
Donkey Kong

In short, Nintendo had an amazing year. I also think Shovelknight, Broken Age and Child of Light lived up the hype, and I think Sunset Overdrive looks very cool (but havent played it). But yeah, I guess you could make a case for a lot of these games not really having that much hype in the first place.

Smash Bros U
Mario Kart 8

I don't know about other games like Dragon Age which many praise but i played smash and kart and both are amazing games !

Personally i loved Titanfall, Infamous SS, DriveClub, Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive. These games lived up to the hype for me.

South Park. One of the best licensed games there is, and possibly the funniest game I've ever played.
I had some concerns after the delays and Obsidian, but it delivered.

Com_Raven

Dragon Age Inquisition.

I've put 65 hours into it so far and I can't stop. Love the characters, tons of areas to enjoy and explore, combat is fun as hell. So damn good.

This man speak truth :)

Also, Wolfenstein easily exceeded the hype and reputation, since it was fantastic. I also think that Titanfall delivered, but opinions seem divided on that game...

jacobeid

Banned
Bayonetta 2 and Shovel Knight both exceeded my admittedly very high expectations. Absolutely incredible games.

Forza Horizon 2 turned out essentially exactly how I figured it would turn out and I love that game. Other games in the "turned out how I figured they would, i.e., excellent" category include: South Park, Mario Kart 8, and Smash.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Everything Nintendo related

Tropical Freeze
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 8
Shovel Knight
Smash 3ds
Smash Wii U
Bayonetta 2

thenexus6

The Last of Us: Remastered

It probably does not count, but I did not play it on ps3. Decided not to once I knew it was coming to ps4. Boy did it live up to the hype. One of the best games I have played in a while. Even then, the multiplayer surprised me.

Same here, incredible time playing this. Another vote would be PVZ Garden Warfare. Was very jealous when it first came out on Xbox one (as a PS4 owner) finally came to PS4 and I love it. Probably best "new" game i've played this year.

valkyre

Games that met their hype for me:

Dragon Age (my GOTY)
Infamous (loved it)
Far Cry 4 (it was a flawless release and a damn good game)

Now the ones that disappointed:

Destiny
Assassins Creed Unity
Driveclub (the patch might have done great things but the release was horrible)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't know if they were considered hyped, but South Park and Alien were even better than I was expecting. I haven't played Dragon Age yet so hopefully that will too.

GoaThief

Destiny for me.

It's pretty much what I'd thought it would be after the alpha and beta, and it's my most played game in years with hundreds of hours to my name thus far. Unfortunately it's got in the way of other titles due to my limited time being taken up but I've very much enjoyed the experience. Starting to ease off now, The Evil Within and GTA V are first up.

Timeaisis

It's Mario Kart 8.

Smash 4, while exceptional, garnered so much hype there is absolutely no way it could live up to it.

Most big released this year were good-great, but didn't quite live up to their promises.

Mario Kart 8, on the other hand, was promised to be the next great kart game with zero gravity and cool tracks. It's basically everything I thought it would be, and more. And I was not disappointed with any aspect of the game at all. That's the very definition of living up to hype.

revimack

Banned
Maybe Infamous: Second Son? It met my expectations pretty much exactly. I wasn't super hyped for it or anything but I really enjoyed it. Wildstar was great too.

Shit list:

Destiny
TLOU: R (base graphics were barely touched)
AC: U (AC games are usually bad and this one was worse than usual)
Titanfall (basically only had one gun and was too easy to KDR whore)
MGSV: GZ
Watch Dogs (graphics)
ESO

I don't know if these count but for me it was Wolfenstein and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. Neither game was perfect but I had an awesome time with them.

I'd say Dragon Age. I'm about 35hrs into the single player with roughly the same amount of time on the MP.

Still can't wait to get off work to play more

Dunkley

The Last Of Us: Left Behind

Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster

The Walking Dead: Season 2

Forza Horizon 2

And everything Nintendo released except Yoshi's New Island

Dragon Age Inquisition.

I've put 65 hours into it so far and I can't stop. Love the characters, tons of areas to enjoy and explore, combat is fun as hell. So damn good.

Dragon Age is so much the answer for this thread it's not even funny. I have like 80 hours so far. I don't even know how close I am to done.

There really weren't too many games I was hyped for this year. I was hyped for first person view in GTA V and that definitely lived up to the hype since that's the only way I play the game now. Other than that I guess I was hyped for Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, but I had played so much of the original that I had a good idea what I was getting into.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Dragon Age Inquisition.

I'm loving it. 55ish hours in and probably not half way through the story yet.

Game4life

Banned
No game on one and ps4 seems to be have lived up to the hype. No game next year is going to live up to the hype except Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 is my prediction.

Top Bottom