• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 game that most lived up to the hype

phanphare

Banned
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

especially releasing after the 3DS version

also Mario Kart 8. that game really is something special. I'm not even a big fan of the series but I'll play that game anytime, anywhere, for an obscene amount of time and never get bored.

I think I died a little inside reading this. PES is far superior this year.

I strongly disagree. PES has better facial alikeness, but that's about it. Ball physics are weird (doesn't feel like it's rotating on grass, but on a slippery surface), animations are still stiff (better than before, but nowhere as good as FIFA's). Shooting feels good (as always has on PES), but passing has something wrong in its acceleration, doesn't quite feel right.

PES has improved a lot, but it still has a long way to go. It's on the right track though.

----------------

And going on-topic:

I haven't played Dragon Age: Inquisition yet (I'm gonna get it soon though), so I'd say Infamous: Second Son. It has lived to the hype for me. Excellent visuals, and a really fun game. That's all I wanted, really.

Forza Horizon 2 more than lived up to the hype. I've spent a ridiculous number of hours on it, and was still playing it last night. I expect to still be playing it in a year. It's the best arcade racer I've ever played, beating out PGR 2.

I don't know about hype, but Madden 15 is the first Madden that has kept me interested beyond a couple of weeks. I have a couple hundred hours into it already. Seriously, I've pretty much hated Madden ever since it transitioned to 3D. This version is getting played as much or more than NFL 2K5 back in the day.

Finally, Wolfenstein: The New Order is the old school shooter I've ben waiting for. It not only delivered on gameplay though, but somehow came up with the a fantastic story and characters I actually care about in a game shooting the crap out of Nazis. Great acton, great story, and great music. Just a great game.

Bayonetta 2....sorta.

It fully justified my purchase of my console and it was an amazing game but... i kinda stopped playing it after a week and I borrowed it and the console to my brother to play a month ago.

Bayonetta 2 and Smash U for me.

Same. With Nintendo already fully settled into their new console while Sony and MS still needing a year or two to achieve peak efficiency, the former stole the year. With any luck this will be enough to push them out of catastrophically low third place (even if it's up to comfortable third place). Next year promises to be equally spectacular for Nintendo.

Smash Bros Wii U - Just an all around great package of characters, levels and features.

Mario Kart 8 - The first Mario Kart since Double Dash (and a lesser extend DS) that I feel like the franchise feels fresh. One of the best Mario Kart games ever.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Remix - Another great HD remaster that looks great on the PS3.

Neff

Regarding expectations...

Mario Kart 8 matched them.

Bayonetta 2 fell short of them.

The Evil Within wildly exceeded them.

GeoramA

Dragon Age - Huge redeemer game for BioWare. 60 hours in and I'm probably not even 50% done yet.

South Park - The delays paid off and Obsidian delivered the best fan-service game of all-time IMO.

Mordor - The game started to look really good a few months before it released. It ended up being better than I ever imagined.

Bayonetta 2 definitely. I even enjoyed the minigame stuff, which is pretty shocking.

Guilty Gear Xrd too. The new Roman Cancel system is awesome.

Pat

Mario Kart 8. And unfortunately, it's the only one (haven't tried Dragon Age).

My biggest deception is Smash 4. It's still a party game like Brawl, even if it's a little bit faster and the online works like shit for me, too much input lag (while MK8 works like a charm).

Bricky

Finally, Wolfenstein: The New Order is the old school shooter I've ben waiting for. It not only delivered on gameplay though, but somehow came up with the a fantastic story and characters I actually care about in a game shooting the crap out of Nazis. Great acton, great story, and great music. Just a great game.

Wolfenstein had hype? I mean, sure, people wanted it to be good, but most expected mediocrity at best. It was a very pleasant surprise, but it wasn't expected to be one so it didn't really live up to anything.

Maybe I'm just interpreting the thread title too literally, hype is still hype even if it isn't shared by the majority, but of all 'best game this year' thread variations this game will pop up in on GAF this thread isn't one where it should. :p

As for me, I'll say Danganronpa 2 shot to my most anticipated game instantly after blindly buying part one, and it delivered.

LtOrange

Destiny was my most anticipated 2014 game and ended up being my GOTY. I was full of excitement to see what Bungie's next title would be like and here I am 100+ hours later still loving every minute of it.

CoD: Advanced Warfare comes in a close second for me. I buy Call of Duty every year, but I have to admit it was getting kinda stale. I would really enjoy my time with each annual release, but found myself dropping it a month later. Advanced Warfare came out of nowhere for me and completely changed the game. I was really excited to see something different and was happy to see my excitement was justified. Easily my favorite of the series.

Hugstable

Banned
Bayonetta 2
Smash Bros.
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Driveclub (outside launch issues lol)
Persona Q
Wolfenstein

There are probably more than that too. Then again my expectations aren't all that high and I don't really hype myself up for games.

Dsyndrome

Dragon Age Inquisition - I can't put the game down much to the chagrin of my wife.

I have Bayonetta 2 but haven't started it nor beaten the first, it's next on the list after Dragon Age.

Last of Us (first time playing on PS4 made a point to never read an article or watch a video about it). Easily the best video game I have ever played.
GTA 5 on PS4
Mario Kart 8 (first mario kart game for me)
South Park I guess (although all the hype pre-release was "this game was delayed so long its gonna be terrible!") turned out to be an awesome game

haven't played my copies of Bayo 2 or DA:I yet, super smash is not fun for me at all but its a good party game.

Wii U: The Thread

DKC, MK8, Smash, Bayo. Bravo to all of them.

Hyrule Warriors as well for me - and as GAF loves to hate on musou games I think it's pretty safe to say that HW easily surpassed its expectations.

The last of us on PS4 definitely lived up to the hype for me, I didn't own a PS3 so this was my first play through.

Probably the best game I played this year.

Kings fan

Dark Souls 2, Mario Kart 8, Sunset Overdrive, and Smash Bros (both versions).

Tropical Freeze was also very very good.

I'm optimistic that the PS4 will pick up the slack next year, Bloodborne in particular looks amazing and cannot wait for MGS.

Kayjin

Neo Member
There is a distinct lack of Shadow of Mordor in this thread, it definitely gets my vote. Inquisition might one day as well but I've barely played it.

Redrop

MK8, for sure. Smash is still divisive for many fans, despite it being still massively hyped. I saw no such ambivalence towards MK8.

I would say Dark Souls 2 for myself, but it probably didn't live up to the hype for many others. I personally just wanted another Souls game so I was more than happy with what I got, but it's too bad that the game was shrouded in all of the "visual downgrade" arguments. And I really do hope that Fromsoft learns from their mistakes with soul memory in the remaster, because that was very poorly implemented.

Georome

Madden 15 - Madden 25 was disappointing with poor graphics, par for the course presentation/gameplay for PS4. I was not expecting much different this year, but the graphics were much better and the gameplay seemed smoother as well (I did know part of this from reviews, but the improvements weren't as marginal as I expected). Probably the most I have played a sports game in awhile (played NBA2K14 last year about...half as much?)

I second this. I usually play Madden for a few weeks, but I've been playing Madden 15 since release and it just keeps getting better. Best Madden since 2005 in my opinion.

I was pretty hyped for SO and it ended up being one of the few games that actually exceeded my expectations. Fantastic game and I was a little bit crushed when it ended. One of the few games I got every achievement for and one of the few games I actually bought a season pass for.

Far Cry 4 is the first game that comes to mind. It's probably my game of the year (unless Bayonetta 2 changes that, which it might).

Top Bottom