• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

"Boston has reached the point of no return on a Rondo deal and Danny Ainge is moving fast toward sifting offers and making his best deal." - @WojYahooNBA

Well I guess that's that.

Who the hell is going to come off the bench for Tyson Chandler if you trade Wright? Trade him away and Dirk is going to have to play at the 5 more.

Soonri

Looks like this is happening. I don't like this trade. It takes the ball out of Monta's hands, takes another shooter off the floor (Harris), and now Dallas can't run pick and roll like they normally do. I mean yeah, they get defense and rebounding at the perimeter and Rick Carlisle is a genius... I just feel like you can't play a guard that can't shoot in the league anymore unless he is Tony Allen on D, and Rondo hasn't been for at least two seasons (because of injury and losing).

Fjordson

Looks like this is happening. I don't like this trade. It takes the ball out of Monta's hands, takes another shooter off the floor (Harris), and now Dallas can't run pick and roll like they normally do. I mean yeah, they get defense and rebounding at the perimeter and Rick Carlisle is a genius... I just feel like you can't play a guard that can't shoot in the league anymore unless he is Tony Allen on D, and Rondo hasn't been for at least two seasons (because of injury and losing).
Yeah, has been on the decline defensively for years now.

It's an interesting trade for Dallas. I dunno, seems like more a sidegrade than an upgrade but we'll see.

"Strong sense among teams talking to Boston that Danny Ainge is determined to deal Rondo by tomorrow to be able to trade what they get in Feb" - @ChrisMannixSI

Sounds like Ainge alright.

Edit:

"ESPN sources say teams closing in on swap to send Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, Jameer Nelson, one future first & one future second to Celts" - @ESPNSteinLine

Tom Penny

Better fit than Houston. How is this different than Kidd/Dirk/Terry/Marion/Chandler? Granted Rondo won't be hitting 3's but he's a superior facilitator than geriatric Kidd. Chandler will love Rondo who's made Zeller look viable ever since he has been in the starting lineup with him. I wanted him to go to the Pelicans so I could dominate fantasy with Davis.

jbug617

Banned
Boston Herald has an update

Involved sources are saying that Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge is focused on potentially high draft picks. He is not expecting to get a major player in return, and, in fact, anyone coming to Boston would almost certainly be on an expiring or limited contract.

"Danny's not interested in players," a league source told the Herald. "He just wants future assets."

Another source said that teams in the running are trying to work through other clubs to get the quality of draft picks Ainge is seeking. Absent outside help, one or more picks down the line from Dallas may be the most enticing because Dirk Nowitzki is 36 and nearing retirement (two more years on his contract after this).

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ltics_likely_to_trade_rajon_rondo_within_days

Soonri

Better fit than Houston. How is this different than Kidd/Dirk/Terry/Marion/Chandler? Granted Rondo won't be hitting 3's but he's a superior facilitator than geriatric Kidd. Chandler will lover Rondo who's made Zeller look viable ever since he has been in the starting lineup with him.
Because Rondo can't play off the ball like Kidd did. It works for everyone but Monta who also isn't a consistent 3 point shooter.

"Boston's informed teams it's focused on completing deal with Dallas soon, closing on a package to send Rajon Rondo to Mavs, sources tell Y."

"Houston had dropped out of the talks in the past hour, clearing the way for Boston to complete deal with Dallas, sources told Yahoo." - Woj

Looks like it's finally happening.

Soonri

Yeah this means the Mavs are pretty much going for next season while treating the rest of this season and maybe the playoffs as an adjustment period for whatever they are going to do.

I love Monta too much though :(

E: That being said, the only thing I'll miss in this deal is Brandan Wright. That guy has turned himself into an awesome big, provided he's in the right situation which might not be Boston.

Tom Penny

SPN sources say teams closing in on swap to send Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, Jameer Nelson, one future first & one future second to Celts

— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) December 18, 2014

Owzers

I liked Brandan Wright the most out of the players traded for Rondo but that's not a deal breaker. Downside is I thought the Mavs were good as is with the addition of Parsons and getting Barea and Chandler back. Who's their back-up Center to Chandler now?

Here's the final trade according to Woj.

"Boston will send Rajon Rondo and Dwight Powell to Dallas for Brandan Wright, Jae Crowder, Jamar Nelson, 2015 first-round and future second." - @WojYahooNBA

I assume he meant Jameer.

I like the trade for the Celtics. Rondo was gone anyway, and this gives Smart more minutes (if he stays healthy). They weren't going anywhere, they got more assets for the future. I actually think getting Brandon Wright is pretty nice (although who knows if he stays).

Branduil

I've criticized the Mavs' front office a lot over the years, but they deserve a lot of credit this year for turning Jose Calderon, Sammy Dalembert, Brandan Wright, cap space, and late 1st round picks into Tyson Chandler, Chandler Parsons, and Rajon Rondo.

Not to mention the steal of a deal they got Monta on last year.

Sanjuro

I'm not really against the Rondo deal, it just make no sense why we didn't do it sooner.

Also, Danny needs to stop stock piling draft picks and actually obtain talent that can help us compete. Nothing he has done to this point makes me think he is very serious about that.

I'm not really against the Rondo deal, it just make no sense why we didn't do it sooner.

Also, Danny needs to stop stock piling draft picks and actually obtain talent that can help us compete. Nothing he has done to this point makes me think he is very serious about that.

He hasn't really had a chance to obtain talent, but now he should have enough draft picks to probably make that happen at some point.

Bread

Banned
the only way to succeed in this league is finding top talent in the draft and building around them

Amory

I'm an Ainge fan but wtf at this deal Danny?

The Celtics are getting fleeced. I feel like a better deal has to be out there closer to the deadline.

Sanjuro

He hasn't really had a chance to obtain talent, but now he should have enough draft picks to probably make that happen at some point.

It's hard to argue when no cogs are spinning. On the other side, you could criticize possible moves when there is really nobody out there.

The overall issue is this team can't go through what it did during the 90s. Might not be as bad, but I have no clue what he is doing. The only track record of Danny has here doesn't make this look good.

Tom Penny

He's tried to flip rondo for Curry, CP3, Westbrook among others. Teams aren't stupid. Hindsight is 20/20. The Cavs draft bullshit this year fucked them out of that chance. A top 3 pick would have landed them Love.

Sanjuro

the only way to succeed in this league is finding top talent in the draft and building around them

The NBA? Nope. In reality, your top talent is largely only contained within one ping pong ball, and that ball only comes around rarely.

Using those picks to chase that top ticket helps. However, it only makes sense to hold onto them for so long.

It's hard to argue when no cogs are spinning. On the other side, you could criticize possible moves when there is really nobody out there.

The overall issue is this team can't go through what it did during the 90s. Might not be as bad, but I have no clue what he is doing. The only track record of Danny has here doesn't make this look good.

I think the only reasonable plan is to do what Ainge is doing. Stockpile draft picks and hope you hit on some of those or trade them when a star becomes available. In the end it's partially up to Ainge but it also requires a lot of luck.

jbug617

Banned
I think the only reasonable plan is to do what Ainge is doing. Stockpile draft picks and hope you hit on some of those or trade them when a star becomes available. In the end it's partially up to Ainge but it also requires a lot of luck.

Boston also got players (Bass, Green and Nelson) to trade at the deadline for more assets

Boston also got players (Bass, Green and Nelson) to trade at the deadline for more assets

I think pretty much anyone besides Smart is available.

I don't think you should trade Green.

Bass absolutely needs to go.

I like Green but if they can get a decent first round pick for him I'd do it in a second. He's been good this year but it's also a contract year so who knows if he can/will keep it up.

Top Bottom