• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Price is Right primetime 2016 finally dated. May 23 hurry! I hope highest rated daytime tv game show will also be highest rated primetime game show?

#PriceIsRight returns to primetime starting May 23rd!

A Survivor-themed special, which airs on Monday, May 23 at 8/9c
A Big Brother-themed special, airing on Tuesday,
May 24 at 8/7c An Amazing Race-themed special, airing on Wednesday, May 25 at 8/7c]

Had a chance to look at this chart. The surprising thing is Arrow has a rock solid hold on its viewers. Impressive.

I can't imagine anyone who made it through season 3 of Arrow giving up on it. If you've survived that, you can survive anything. Thankfully this season is a lot better.

jey_16

Banned
I'm guessing ABC don't want to cancel AoS since there must be so much internal pressure to not axe the only Marvel show on broadcast television. Doesn't expect explain why they are going ahead with the spin-off though unless it's all about "synergy"

Would be interesting to find out if there is any explanation as to why the success of the MCU in film has not translated to TV

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm guessing ABC don't want to cancel AoS since there must be so much internal pressure to not axe the only Marvel show on broadcast television. Doesn't expect explain why they are going ahead with the spin-off though unless it's all about "synergy"

Would be interesting to find out if there is any explanation as to why the success of the MCU in film has not translated to TV

But it has...kinda. Wasnt Daredevil the most watched Netflix show or something?

Malvingt2

Tues Numbers

Fasts-Demo-2016-Mar-TUE.15.png

Of King and Prophets... much like GoT characters is dead

I wish more people watch Limitless... One of the best on tv right now.

TripOpt55

I need to catch up on this. I thought the first few episodes were solid, but fell behind. I have managed to keep them on my DVR, so hopefully when my TV schedule slows down I can get back into it.

SHIELD isn't technically full of Marvel heroes and doesn't really link up to the films outside of Winter Soldier kicking over the whole premise. While the shows from DC are completely untethered from the films, they at least star named heroes and villains. SHIELD is pretty much coasting on how much you enjoy the cast and the writing; neither of those are amazing.

Does it get better? I watched like 5 episodes and it was just "dude takes a pill, helps solve a case, doesn't really do anything about his life" and felt like just a crappy version of Castle / Lucifer / Hawaii 5-0 / etc with a minor twist that seemed badly used. A few people now have told me to keep with it, but I'd only want to watch something with an actual story arc, not case-of-the-week.

The 100 got a lot of positive buzz last year after a stellar season, sadly I think this years crappy season with Black Trump and the super crazy rushed plots is going to tamper enthusiasm next year.

Joni

I can't imagine anyone who made it through season 3 of Arrow giving up on it. If you've survived that, you can survive anything. Thankfully this season is a lot better.
People always tend to forget that season 3 attracted more viewers than season 2.

It's Game of Thrones for the PG-13 CW crowd.
But it is a way better book adaptation. As in, it fixes a bad book instead of screwing up a good one.

Does it get better? I watched like 5 episodes and it was just "dude takes a pill, helps solve a case, doesn't really do anything about his life" and felt like just a crappy version of Castle / Lucifer / Hawaii 5-0 / etc with a minor twist that seemed badly used. A few people now have told me to keep with it, but I'd only want to watch something with an actual story arc, not case-of-the-week.
There is an actual story arc, with more Bradley Cooper than expected. Still very much case of the week, but in no way a crappy version of Castle considering the current seasons of Castle.

KonradLaw

It never gets heavily serialized. But it's got some ridiculously inventive case of the week stuff and it keeps getting more and more creative.

I would say watch till episode 9. If that episode doesn't make you a fan, drop it

Sober

It's (usually) an entertaining show, but it's never been a good show.
Interesting and entertaining are the words I might describe the show as. Good probably, but not great. It has a tenancy to rush itself to get to where it wants to be and it shows when what beats it wants to hit feel unearned in some manner. If anything it's the shows biggest flaw and if you can ignore it then I guess it's fine but when it does that it kinda sours me on it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The 100 is actually one of the shows that we get "live" on Netflix here (as in a new episode is added shortly after it airs in the states). Saul is another one. I assume the US netflix has nothing like that since...well... you guys get all the shows live in their respective networks?

Pachimari

I quit it a few episodes ago. I'm hyped for Vixen but I never liked Oliver's acting and if I get more annoyed than enjoyment out of Arrow, then I guess it was time to quit.

I were also of the impression that The 100 were some of the best, if not the best show on CW, which is why I picked up Season 1, and is halfway through, and now I'm reading completely opposite impressions lol.

Saw Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders...was interesting enough to play in the background but odd start to a season. I wonder if it will perform better than the other Criminal Minds spinoff that was cancelled.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think The 100 is one of the better shows on The CW. That and iZombie are the cream of the crop for me.

When the show started the ratings were great. The problem was that the show sucked. When it got good the ratings weren't that great anymore. I don't understand why it keeps shedding people though. I personally think the quality has been pretty consistent since it got good. There's nothing that would make me want to drop it right now or hatewatch it like a lot of other shows I follow.

Limitless is definitely one of the better new shows on right now. I was a little worried after the first couple of episodes thinking they might make it a little too serious but it's around episode 8 that the writers were kind of like fuck it.

Coolluck

There is an actual story arc, with more Bradley Cooper than expected. Still very much case of the week, but in no way a crappy version of Castle considering the current seasons of Castle.

More Bradley Cooper than the one scene they kept playing on the Previously On and in the show over and over? Well I guess I'll try and catch up on it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Fasts-Demo-2016-Mar-WED.16.png

Wedn numbers

Return of ABC Comedies

And they basically returned to their normal numbers, Daylight Saving Time be damned.

Is that the debut of Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders? Decent start for 10 p.m.

Rosewood is languishing, though. It's crying out for a savior and Cookie is looking down and whispering, "No."

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You guys must have a lot of time to waste if you're watching shows you actively hate.

kevin1025

Banned
I wonder if Criminal Minds Beyond Borders can actually build from there, I half-expect it to lose fast.

A CBS crime procedural with Gary Sinise should be a sure-fire, with how long CSI: NY lasted and the Criminal Minds name to back it up. But I'm not sure if two twisted serial killer shows back-to-back can be seen as a good time for its demographics on Wednesday nights.

You guys must have a lot of time to waste if you're watching shows you actively hate.

There's a lot of The 100 hate lately. People are really salty because the show killed off a fan favorite character a few episodes ago.

It's still my favorite network show tied with iZombie.

morningbus

There's a lot of The 100 hate lately. People are really salty because the show killed off a fan favorite character a few episodes ago.

It's still my favorite network show tied with iZombie.
I understand an opinion changing over time, especially as a story develops, but a lot of people are in here talking about how they don't like it and have never liked it, yet they are watching it.

I also understand accepting that something is dumb and has flaws and that you can still enjoy it despite that. However, the key there is "enjoy." Don't be afraid to like stuff even if it isn't prestige television. Hell, feel free to be overly critical of the dumb thing you're watching. But don't try to persuade yourself that you aren't enjoying the show or that it doesn't have some kind of redeeming quality.

Because otherwise you're wasting your time.

morningbus

That's why hate watching exists

That's just the thing: I used to think I hatewatched things, too. But then the internet and discussion forums made being angry at things an art form.

Like, I watch movies that are generally considered bad, even irredeemably so. I watch the movie and laugh at the bizarre plot elements and general shoddiness but I have fun watching it. Sometimes I see one so ridiculous I show a friend. I not only recommend a bad movie: I make someone else watch it. There's something compelling for me in that movie. There's something earnest and sincere there, somewhere.

But then I go into Flash or Arrow threads and see people continuously talking about dropping the shows because of how bad they are. Yet they remain week after week, not enjoying themselves. Then you question them on this and they defend themselves by saying they're hatewatching.

Again, I can understand frustration with a show dropping in quality and there is a lag between when the show's quality drops below your standards and when you realize it's time to stop watching... but people aren't doing that last step anymore. They're actively watching something they hate just so they can complain about a dumb show on the internet. I don't consider that hatewatching, that's wasting your time.

And man, I understand that too. I used to watch the Simpsons and week after week I was hating it (though I never called that hatewatching at the time either). Then one day I was on GAF and I had an older movie's plot spoiled for me and I was a little disappointed because I had intended to watch it one day. Then I realized that every week I was watching a half-hour of the Simpsons, a show I hated, instead of doing something more productive like watching a movie I really wanted to see.

I stopped watching the Simpsons and stopped wasting my time.

maxcriden

More Bradley Cooper than the one scene they kept playing on the Previously On and in the show over and over? Well I guess I'll try and catch up on it.

There have been a few more scenes with him since then, but it's not by any means the hook of the show. It makes for a cool cameo here and there, and it is interwoven seamlessly with the plot, which has had a surprising level of serialization for a procedural in its first (and hopefully not only) season. The cases of the week are clever and engaging, and the directorial style is endlessly creative.

I love The 100. S1 was definitely a mixed bag, but I thought S2 was a vast improvement. I'm a few episodes behind in S3 but it is struggling a bit again.

lol @ the "Black Trump" comment above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom