• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys must have a lot of time to waste if you're watching shows you actively hate.

I've mentioned this before, but it's not like they get 100% of my attention. Very, very few shows get that nowadays.

Depending on the show it can range from 95% to 5%. Like I watched Castle last night (it gets around 5%), but the whole time I was on the computer doing something else, it was mostly background noise, but I was still able to follow the main points of the story (and that it seemed to be a backdoor pilot that will get cancelled on its first season, if it ever gets made, since it features Summer Glau).

Castle doesn't really need anymore of my attention and I like the background noise so I actively look for bad shows that I can tolerate. Though Castle is right there on the limit, if there's another season I'll probably drop it.

So I get shit done AND watch some TV. Plus some of the good shows drain me, it's nice to have some lazy inoffensive show to clean the palate.

The alternative is to have the TV off and who wants to do that?

There have been a few more scenes with him since then, but it's not by any means the hook of the show. It makes for a cool cameo here and there, and it is interwoven seamlessly with the plot, which has had a surprising level of serialization for a procedural in its first (and hopefully not only) season. The cases of the week are clever and engaging, and the directorial style is endlessly creative.

There's 1 episode pretty much entirely dedicated to him, so it's a lot more than a cameo on the first episode, but I wouldn't call him a recurring star either.

Joni

If it were on Fox, it would have aired its entire run :lol
Of course, it would be considered a hit over there.

She goin' after McDreamy next...he'll be hawking a pooper scooper before you know it...

Katherine Heigl has something that resembles a career. T. R. Knight straight up disappeared back then. Tim Daly lost a couple of years as well. God knows where Columbus Short went and Isaiah Washington didn't really get high profile chances either until he made up with Shonda. Patrick Dempsey on the other hand will be fine, he at least can give the impression he quit to go racing.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I've mentioned this before, but it's not like they get 100% of my attention. Very, very few shows get that nowadays

Man, that's a whole other pet-peeve can-of-worms for me. The number of times I've had to argue the plot of an episode of the Flash with someone who clearly didn't even really watch it...

But I digress.

The alternative is to have the TV off and who wants to do that?

Try late night talk shows or maybe NPR? That's what I turn to if I need semi-concious background noise.

Man, that's a whole other pet-peeve can-of-worms for me. The number of times I've had to argue the plot of an episode of the Flash with someone who clearly didn't even really watch it...

But I digress.

Try late night talk shows or maybe NPR? That's what I turn to if I need semi-concious background noise.

I don't have that option (not in the US). And I absolutely loath the local TV. So bad shows it is. Once in a while they'll have a decent episode where I'll pay more attention. My level of attention is always in a state of flux and I kinda dig that.

I would get burned out if I only watched good stuff that I had to pay 100% attention to, all the time.

Edit: I also watch a lot of cooking competition shows. Top Chef, Masterchef, Chopped, Cutthroat Kitchen, etc. I also watch Faceoff, Survivor, etc. Perfect stuff to do something else at the same time. If I miss something important I can always rewind.

Of course, it would be considered a hit over there.

Katherine Heigl has something that resembles a career. T. R. Knight straight up disappeared back then. Tim Daly lost a couple of years as well. God knows where Columbus Short went and Isaiah Washington didn't really get high profile chances either until he made up with Shonda. Patrick Dempsey on the other hand will be fine, he at least can give the impression he quit to go racing.

Was Daly on bad terms with Rhimes? I thought he made it all the way through Private Practice.

Damn. It's rare to see anything get the axe that quickly now. Nothing like a fresh cancellation to bring a smile to my face.

But I digress.

This bugs the hell out of me too. The worst is when I'm reading a review and the reviewer clearly doesn't know what the hell is going on on the show. It's like, damn you got paid to review this and you can't even pay attention?

Sober

Blood & Oil lasted longer than that. The article mentioned Wicked City but I dont even remember that one.

Wow I wont even get a chance to see it on Hulu.

At least that didnt happen to The Family!
Feels like everyone earlier in the season were super gunshy about it. So I'm curious why now they decided to axe it so soon after.

Didn't this pilot also need retooling and recasting? Seems like money flushed down the drain I guess.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
nCLW978.jpg

She's not cast....yet.

Joni

Was Daly on bad terms with Rhimes? I thought he made it all the way through Private Practice.
He got written out just before the final 13 episodes, in an offscreen death, without any warning, in the middle of a bigger storyline. There were definite rumours that that decision was personally motivated.

Amon37

Did "The Player" get renewed or dumped? I loved the obligitory Wesley Snipes martial arts battle outta nowhere every episode.

KonradLaw

Cancelled last year.

The other member of Strike Back had better luck with Blindspot. But I still can't watch that show. Strike Back is too fresh in my memory. Seeing Damien fricking Scott being less of a badass than a thin Marvel chick is just destroying my suspension of disbelief :D

Zalasta

You guys must have a lot of time to waste if you're watching shows you actively hate.

If this was directed towards the comments on The 100, I don't think anybody actually stated that they hate the show. In fact, many people have claimed that there is entertaining values. So I'm not quite certain how you reached the conclusion that they hate something just because they are critical of it. I think we all watch plenty of mediocre stuff, but that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy them.

Plus you seem to be making assumptions about people's viewing habits. I personally don't actively catch these shows I apparently "hate". The 100, American Crime, The Family (just to name a few), all go to the bottom of the list to catch up on when I have nothing better to watch. I'm pretty sure I'm at least 3 episodes behind on all of them because you're wrong, I don't have the time to waste on them :)

Lastly, I believe a big portion of the so called hate watchers are actually fans originally. So I can understand not wanting to give up on a show entirely.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If this was directed towards the comments on The 100, I don't think anybody actually stated that they hate the show. In fact, many people have claimed that there is entertaining values. So I'm not quite certain how you reached the conclusion that they hate something just because they are critical of it. I think we all watch plenty of mediocre stuff, but that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy them.

Plus you seem to be making assumptions about people's viewing habits. I personally don't actively catch these shows I apparently "hate". The 100, American Crime, The Family (just to name a few), all go to the bottom of the list to catch up on when I have nothing better to watch. I'm pretty sure I'm at least 3 episodes behind on all of them because you're wrong, I don't have the time to waste on them :)

Lastly, I believe a big portion of the so called hate watchers are actually fans originally. So I can understand not wanting to give up on a show entirely.

If you read my two other posts almost immediately after the one you quoted, you'll see we probably agree a bit more outside my one-line summation.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Last night was the season finale of How To Get Away With Murder too. Wonder what they're putting in that time slot. Reruns of HTGAWM?

The other member of Strike Back had better luck with Blindspot. But I still can't watch that show. Strike Back is too fresh in my memory. Seeing Damien fricking Scott being less of a badass than a thin Marvel chick is just destroying my suspension of disbelief :D

Just started watching Strike Back because I like him on Blindspot. I'm only on episode 4 but the show rocks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I would be shocked if Bernthal doesnt get his Punisher spin off, the dude absolutelly slays the role, damn.

Joni

I didn't know this was possible: a 0.1. Next to it, last week for comparison. ABC had a good night, FOX and NBC are even.

Fasts-Demo-2016-Mar-FRI.18.png
Fasts-Demo-2016-Mar-FRI.11.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom