• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Yeah, Agents of C.A.N.C.E.L.L.E.D. in 5 weeks unless This is Us is a bomba.

I don't think the new slot will matter which sucks.

Joni

I bet it's Agents of Shield

Looks like it wasn't?

Yeah, Agents of C.A.N.C.E.L.L.E.D. in 5 weeks unless This is Us is a bomba.

It won't be cancelled in five weeks. It will be tightly cancelled at the end of the season. They'd have to be a major disaster to be pulled from the air in their fourth season.

Predictions!

Bull - 2.3. The NCIS audience will want to check out Weatherly I think. So more important will be the 15+ million of viewers.
This Is Us - 1.9. Mainly because I think The Voice will slide further.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
This is Us was great btw, real tearjerker. I'm a sucker for this shit.

Plus we got this hottie, what's not to like

justinhartley_13_4x5.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The ads I've been seeing on Twitter for Bull keep using the tagline "He'll get you off," which was also used in a self aware way for The Grinder. I'm pretty sure Bull is playing it completely straight though.

Sober

That tagline makes me genuinely believe the show is about some sex addict-genius-defence-lawyer.

Like please tell me it isn't.

xrnzaaas

I'm reasonably certain "Join or Die with Craig Ferguson" is cancelled.

1. The show was renewed for a second season and this was publicly announced.
2. The final episode of the 1st season ("History's Biggest Douchebag" -- the show is a debate panel show about questions through history) did not air, with no advance warning
3. Since then, Craig Ferguson has not mentioned the show, promoted the show, acknowledged the show, etc. He just did Chelsea on Netflix to promote Celebrity Name Game, but no mention of Join or Die. Nothing in his Twitter bio about it.
4. Social media for the show has been dormant since then, except to say "We're not sure when Join or Die will come back." in four tweets. Nothing on Facebook. And it was very active during the season.
5. Got removed from "Most Popular Shows" on the History website shortly after the season ended

If I had to guess--and this is based on literally nothing except my own idle speculation--I'd say that the final episode got pulled over content issues (maybe because someone living was in the running of the title question?) and Craig quit because of that, because the show uses Craig's name and he EPed and developed it, the network can't replace him as host.

That sucks for Craig. I really wish he didn't leave his show on the CBS, because for me it was the only watchable late night show.

Sober

Bull was so bad, if you thought another show was gonna be bad, this is like, objectively bad. Like so poorly crafted, how did any of this make it to air?

I know I don't watch a lot of legal procedural dramas but it feels like I walked into the middle of the 6th season of a show where the writers are seriously spiraling.

Let's see:
  • the opening montage/collage while cool looking starts with someone questioning "innocent until proven guilty?" and ends with "Rich people don't play by the same rules" and the episode proceeds with the 'team' basically defending a rich kid for murdering a young woman.
  • i'm not even gonna start on the shot where they turn shot into a still photo into a meme
  • also let's start on the body of a dead young woman (of colour) because we haven't seen that in a while
  • no one on the main cast is ever properly introduced or given a moment to shine, not even THE LEAD. he just leans casually in the corner when the defense team lawyers walk in and he is introduced by name. I mean what he did was just look at some screens and tell us who was gonna vote guilty. That was really, really, weak, and I've seen pretty pathetic character intros.
  • hilarious overly green screened shot that also doubles as exposition dump for the case. this is before you even cut to commercial. c'mon guys.
  • basically fill 15 minutes of characters talking shop about the case with no character work whatsoever. Cause this isn't the pilot at all.
  • somehow the only shocking thing is: a teenage girl (defendant's girlfriend) up on the stand and when she gets pissed off, she actually throws the tablet (to read her texts back) at the lawyer's face, square in the damn nose!
  • like literally the scene after is where the dead girl's father waltzes up the steps of the courthouse to take a shot at father of the guy who is on trial WITH NO BUILDUP WHATSOEVER. the last scene had more tension to it!
  • another 10 minutes of shop talking and then the main character telling his defendant client that he knows he's gay, and that's totally a valid defense and why he didn't kill that girl, because he didn't have sex with her... again. And apparently it's true and he knew the whole time... because he's just that good? well no, they don't mention anything about it. But he's gay, so let's roll with it.
  • the other subplot is Michael Weatherly convincing the sole female defense lawyer to take the lead at the end to sway the one lady who would cause everyone to vote not guilty, there's that too I guess.
  • also the defendant client who is a rich white boy is found not guilty and the poor minority family is left to suffer in this quick glimpse of the mother sobbing for about five seconds. who cares about the victim's family? this poor white boy is the victim here, he's on trial and then had to come out!
  • as everyone leaves the courthouse, Michael Weatherly confronts aforementioned jury lady (who swung the vote) why she voted not guilty even though the show told us at least three times why (because the guy on trial reminded her of her son, they just had to get her there). she calls him out on his psychoanalysis crap and says he must live a lonely life. this sentiment is completely unearned as we cut to black.
  • at this point I'm not sure if excising the "disturbed" part of "disturbed genius" was such a good idea. I felt like I was watching gears turn instead of a TV show.
  • Oh and the twist is that the outed gay client was having an affair with the tablet throwing teenage girl's father. And that girl's mother actually killed the actual victim (who cares about her anymore, she's not white) cause she's messed up like that and loves her daughter so so so much and kept a trophy of it cause that's what rational non-serial murder-moms do. And then the cops show up outside and OUR LEAD comes striding out of the lead vehicle because, well it wasn't his client so I guess that's fine. that's the pilot y'all!

Also man Spielberg must have his claws in everything cause he is getting a paycheque for this shit.

If none of this made sense then it's pretty clear the entire pilot for Bull made no sense at all or that I was just so good at communicating how the episode unfolded in the same manner as the show did.

Man and I thought the upcoming cop show where a billionaire buys a police department and outfits it with gadgets was gonna be bad. At least even the trailers had a sense of pathos in it. This show did not even seem like it tried to do anything other than simply exist.

Patryn

That sucks for Craig. I really wish he didn't leave his show on the CBS, because for me it was the only watchable late night show.

I don't think he jumped, he was pushed.

He was safe as long as Letterman was around, because part of Letterman's deal was that in addition to Late Show, he also got control of the following hour, and Ferguson was his guy.

However, as soon as Letterman left the network CBS would take back full control of the Late Late Show, and I always got the sense that CBS was never super high on Ferguson, despite him doing such an excellent job.

Matush

This Is Us was great,
did not expect that twist at the end
, but I'm dropping it, since I think the whole thing would work better as a 2hrs long film.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I dug This Is Us. Hope it does well.

vypek

Wow my guess on This Is Us seems to be way off. I really need to check it out. I wish I had a DVR that could handle more than 2 channels at once though. Maybe Verizon could give me an upgrade

Aiii

So not worth it
Both This Is Us and Graves both hit the right notes with me.

This Is Us just had the right tone from the start, was only really checking it out because of who made it and who was in it. Didn't expect to like it that much.

Graves had a good pilot, too. Wonderful actors, good balance between drama and comedy. Enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing more.

Think I might drop Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's not that it's bad or anything, it's just that I can barely keep concentrated enough to actually watch the episode. Never a good sign, might as well give something else those 45 minutes.

Wow my guess on This Is Us seems to be way off. I really need to check it out. I wish I had a DVR that could handle more than 2 channels at once though. Maybe Verizon could give me an upgrade

Hulu.

Sloane

Banned
I enjoyed Kevin Can Wait lol
I wouldn't say I enjoyed it but, yeah, as someone who really liked the first five seasons of King of Queens, it actually wasn't so bad. Definitely better than the last seasons of that show, even though it's pretty much the same and lacking in charme going by the pilot.

strafer

I think it has a very real chance to become the 'Empire for white people' in terms of ratings.

*folds arms*

You'll be watching Lethal Weapon.

*shakes fist*

Ya' hear me!

I rather drag my dick through broken glass than watch a Lethal Weapon TV show.

Grizzlyjin

Everyone is going to watch Lethal Weapon! Ted from Rectify as Riggs. It could be fun, The Player was a nice dumb surprise for me last season.

Wife and I watched the hour of The Good Place, and we were both on the same page: other than her amusing inability to swear and great-ish production values, it's not good (or at least not funny).

Aiii

So not worth it
Wife and I watched the hour of The Good Place, and we were both on the same page: other than her amusing inability to swear and great-ish production values, it's not good (or at least not funny).

Like all Shur shows, don't expect it to become actually great until after six episodes.

Busty

Banned
I'm surprised that This Is Us debuted under Blindspot's numbers last year. I thought that this would the break out hit of the year based around all the hoopla of the trailer's success on Facebook.

Penguin

I'm surprised that This Is Us debuted under Blindspot's numbers last year. I thought that this would the break out hit of the year based around all the hoopla of the trailer's success on Facebook.

But why

Guess not old enough, I saw the trailer and had no idea what the show was

I had no idea what it was before I watched, my wife just put it on, but I thought that it was actually pretty good. Seems like there is definitely potential there to do some fun stuff.

kevin1025

Banned
Not a bad return for shows

mostly flat

Decent debut for Bull

Fast-Demo-2016-Sep-TUE.20.png

Those Scream Queens and SHIELD numbers are fairly low, no? Scream Queens premiered lower (in viewership) than it went out on its finale last season. Well, it went out on a 0.9 and last night was a 1.0. Progress?

jrush64

Banned
Bull was kinda boring. Maybe it will get better with more episodes. This is Us and the Good Place were dope though. That twist at the end of This is Us was real good.

Those Scream Queens and SHIELD numbers are fairly low, no? Scream Queens premiered lower (in viewership) than it went out on its finale last season. Well, it went out on a 0.9 and last night was a 1.0. Progress?
I love Scream Queens but it never should have been renewed. It's a flop.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I love Scream Queens but it never should have been renewed. It's a flop.

It's a Ryan Murphy show - FOX's bread and butter, of course it was going to stay on the air. If ever it is renewed for a third season, it should be moved to their FX suite. I bet they could get the same viewing figures as they get on FOX there.

Joni

Neither show was impressive last year in the ratings.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Damn, Penguin smoking my ass because I'm not in the routine yet

But why

Guess not old enough, I saw the trailer and had no idea what the show was

It's the "your weekly cry it out" show. Seriously.

A coworker posted a photo of herself on Facebook showing the immediate aftermath of watching that show, mascara streaming down her cheeks.

maxcriden

It's the "your weekly cry it out" show. Seriously.

A coworker posted a photo of herself on Facebook showing the immediate aftermath of watching that show, mascara streaming down her cheeks.

They should use that as Web 2.0 marketing for the show. Well, I guess they unintentionally already are.

I hope it's Parenthood 2.0. We'll plan to watch it tonight.

BTW, a humble request for y'all: I know spoiler concerns are oft-considered déclassé 'round these parts, but if the shocking cameo is indeed shocking, please spoiler tag it when it happens, including the title of the show I guess? Maybe just the network name unspoiler-tagged. (Still hoping for Nina Dobrev. But if we just post "the show was The Vampire Diaries" the spoiler itself will be potentially unfortunately obvious).

Palmer_v1

They should use that as Web 2.0 marketing for the show. Well, I guess they unintentionally already are.

I hope it's Parenthood 2.0. We'll plan to watch it tonight.

BTW, a humble request for y'all: I know spoiler concerns are oft-considered déclassé 'round these parts, but if the shocking cameo is indeed shocking, please spoiler tag it when it happens, including the title of the show I guess? Maybe just the network name unspoiler-tagged. (Still hoping for Nina Dobrev. But if we just post "the show was The Vampire Diaries" the spoiler itself will be potentially unfortunately obvious).

It's
Zombie Kate
making a surprise return to
__NCIS__
which is really just a backdoor pilot for
an NCIS\TWD spinoff.

It's pretty obvious, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom