• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with you on those choices, and that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

image.php

Tapejara

The Exorcist actually had its first episode available for streaming yesterday on US PSN, for whatever reason. Anyone watch it?

I'm probably way too biased to have a rational conversation about it lol

The final few episodes of GoT this year were magnificent. Some of the camera work done during Battle of the Bastards was the best done on TV... ever.

But I'd put The Americans up against anything for Best Show. And the fact that Black Sails isn't even in the running is a travesty. It being passed over while trash like Homeland is nominated? Disgusting.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The final few episodes of GoT this year were magnificent. Some of the camera work done during Battle of the Bastards was the best done on TV... ever.

But I'd put The Americans up against anything for Best Show. And the fact that Black Sails isn't even in the running is a travesty. It being passed over while trash like Homeland is nominated? Disgusting.

Homeland getting Best Drama nominations post-Season 1 is such a joke. Acting nominations? I'm cool with that, Claire Danes always brings it. But the show isn't as sophisticated or nuanced as it pretends to be. It hit some really high notes in Season 1 and deserved to win for that. But I don't know why the Emmys love it now.

I say that as someone who has enjoyed the last season two seasons overall. Black Sails blows it away, no question. I'm starting to think that some shows just automatically get a spot no matter how much the quality dips. House of Cards is another example. It's so much more visible than other dramas but should it really even be in the running at this point?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
homeland is a show where what amounts to osama bin laden comes to the us and hangs out in a janitorial closet or a pipe dungeon or something waiting for the lead to come and fight him

thankfully house of cards came along and somehow was worse

We exist in a world where the Best Writing in a Drama Emmy went to the GoT episode that featured the bad pussy line, and I'm supposed to be upset that Homeland keeps getting nominations for Best Drama?

The Emmys have bigger fish oysters, clams and cockles to fry.

AgeEighty

Really sucks that Galavant won't be coming back. Why do the fanciful, clever shows never get ratings?

I also liked Houdini and Doyle, and The Muppets as well. Sad that neither was renewed.

So many of the shows people commonly cite as favorites took several seasons to find their rhythm, and I feel like viewers don't have enough patience anymore.

Really sucks that Galavant won't be coming back. Why do the fanciful, clever shows never get ratings?

I also liked Houdini and Doyle, and The Muppets as well. Sad that neither was renewed.

So many of the shows people commonly cite as favorites took several seasons to find their rhythm, and I feel like viewers don't have enough patience anymore.

A lot of people have some weird, irrational hatred of musicals these days... I don't get it.

Joni

I'm starting to see the end of my backlog. So close.

Burn Notice
Columbo
Downtown Abbey
Gilmore Girls
Knight Rider
Miami Vice
Monk
Quantum Leap
Red Dwarf
Smallville
Spartacus
The SHIELD
Xena

Some short anime shows left as well, and a movie or three, but those shouldn't take long. I can finally see everything that is actually in this closet. Before there was a second row in front of it.

FoneBone

homeland is a show where what amounts to osama bin laden comes to the us and hangs out in a janitorial closet or a pipe dungeon or something waiting for the lead to come and fight him

You forgot the part where he (apparently) crashes his car into that of a CIA agent and kidnaps her, in broad daylight

(IIRC, the actual kidnapping is offscreen, but this is implied)

I've heard the more recent seasons have made some improvements, but Season 2 was so colossally stupid that I completely lost interest.

James93

Its an example of way to many shows being on. There just isn't enough time to watch everything and it seems to be making it extremely difficult for more niche shows to find success.

BiggNife

remember when Jeff Daniels beat Jon Hamm and Bryan Cranston at the Emmys for his work on The Newsroom
I mean, to be fair, Daniels' performance was one of the few redeeming things in The Newsroom

If Allison Pill or Emily Mortimer got an emmy for their God awful acting on that show then that would be a real crime

Coolluck

I mean, to be fair, Daniels' performance was one of the few redeeming things in The Newsroom

If Allison Pill or Emily Mortimer got an emmy for their God awful acting on that show then that would be a real crime

I'm watching S1 now, and while there's definitely some heavy-handed bits, spotty acting, and sappy moments; it isn't terrible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm watching S1 now, and while there's definitely some heavy-handed bits, spotty acting, and sappy moments; it isn't terrible.

I remember a time where Men were Men and Women weren't afraid to stand in their shadow to make them shine brighter. This country, we used to be something, we used to win, we used to shine a beacon of freedom for the world. But now we're too tired, we're too lazy, we're too apathetic to change the world. Our teenagers would rather Facebook than Face to Face, they'd rather call an uber than fight a dictator and his ubermensch. But that ends today. We're going to be better. We're going to build a news network we can be proud of. And we're going to start by telling the truth, no matter what the cost. We don't believe in safe spaces, except a safe space for a good scotch and the American way.

I'm Will McAvoy. Our first story tonight: Both sides are bad! Liberals are losers! The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels. What kind of day has it been?!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I remember a time where Men were Men and Women weren't afraid to stand in their shadow to make them shine brighter. This country, we used to be something, we used to win, we used to shine a beacon of freedom for the world. But now we're too tired, we're too lazy, we're too apathetic to change the world. Our teenagers would rather Facebook than Face to Face, they'd rather call an uber than fight a dictator and his ubermensch. But that ends today. We're going to be better. We're going to build a news network we can be proud of. And we're going to start by telling the truth, no matter what the cost. We don't believe in safe spaces, except a safe space for a good scotch and the American way.

I'm Will McAvoy. Our first story tonight: Both sides are bad! Liberals are losers! The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels. What kind of day has it been?!

*claps merrily*

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I didn't know Aaron Sorkin had an account. Even though Will would give that monologue whilst sitting down, I'm going to imagine it's done during a "walk & talk."

beat

But now we're too tired, we're too lazy, we're too apathetic to change the world. Our teenagers would rather Facebook than Face to Face, they'd rather call an uber than fight a dictator and his ubermensch.
Is Aaron Sorkin a distilled version of MoDo + David Brooks?

Ugh, The Newsroom was so awful. I hate watched the first season and a bit of the second before I (thankfully) stopped.

I'm still salty about Agent Carter getting canceled and Penny Dreadful ending so... dreadfully. I do hope Marco Polo gets a third and final season though. I know the show is deeply flawed but I still find it enjoyable and love some of the characters.

They should have announced the Tatiana Maslany/Rami Malek wins in advance. If the Mr. Robot/Orphan Black audience tuned in then the Emmy ratings would have risen from a 2.4 to a 2.4.

BiggNife

Most of the parts that actually took place in the newsroom were fine. All of the character building stuff, ESPECIALLY the stuff with Maggie, was terrible and took away from an otherwise potentially good show. And unfortunately that stuff got a lot of the focus.

e: And there were definitely some parts that were comically overblown. The big "mind-blowing" segment at the end of the season 1 was calling the tea party the american taliban? That's it? That's supposed to blow people's minds?

Sadsic

I'm starting to see the end of my backlog. So close.

Burn Notice
Columbo
Downtown Abbey
Gilmore Girls
Knight Rider
Miami Vice
Monk
Quantum Leap
Red Dwarf
Smallville
Spartacus
The SHIELD
Xena

Some short anime shows left as well, and a movie or three, but those shouldn't take long. I can finally see everything that is actually in this closet. Before there was a second row in front of it.

i envy you! been trying to master the trade winds of tv for quite a while now...

My predictions:

The Good Place: 2.0/1.7
Kevin Can Wait: 2.2

Bull: 1.9
This Is Us: 1.6

Designated Survivor: 1.3
Lethal Weapon: 1.5
Speechless: 2.2

Notorious: 0.8
Pitch: 1.2

MacGyver: 0.9

vypek

Watching Kevin Can Wait right now. I'm gonna say lucky to get to next season.

Didn't know MacGyver started this Friday. Can't record on my DVR since there are time conflicts

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
A short analysis on the Emmys numbers: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-sunday-ratings-9-18-2016.html

Showbuzz Daily said:
ABC: Despite all the buzz and media attention paid to THE EMMYS, and a general sense that this year’s telecast and host Jimmy Kimmel did a solid job, the show took another ratings hit, down 0.7 (about 20%) from last year’s preliminary number to 2.5–which comes after 2015 fell 0.6 from 2014, which was itself down 0.5 from 2013. That’s more than a 40% plunge in the space of 3 years. The night started with 1.3 for the EMMYS PRE-SHOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom