• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Dropping both Quarry and Son of Zorn, the former just didn't do anything for me, I was iffy on the premise from the start, though. Gave it a shot, but nah, not for me. Son of Zorn was just really really bad. With an idea like that you need to be hilarious... It was barely even funny.

Also watched the pilot of Speechless, which was a lot better, though not super impressive, cast is decent and the jokes were more hit than miss. I will keep watching that.

maxcriden

Dropping both Quarry and Son of Zorn, the former just didn't do anything for me, I was iffy on the premise from the start, though. Gave it a shot, but nah, not for me. Son of Zorn was just really really bad. With an idea like that you need to be hilarious... It was barely even funny.

Also watched the pilot of Speechless, which was a lot better, though not super impressive, cast is decent and the jokes were more hit than miss. I will keep watching that.

Are some pilots publicly available?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Not sure how Homeland was found deserving of another season.

I was digging the old school spy-craft in Germany of last season. Then they just went full on whacky midway through. The veneer of it being a more sophisticated version of 24 has all but eroded. It's just a premium cable version of it at this point. Which I don't mind, but you can tell Showtime is going to ride the show out until it collapses on the track.

vypek

The strange thing about this is that they're advertising it as being on at 8 p.m., which is when I thought Adult Swim started.

Yet it's still branded Cartoon Network.

I think you're right. 8PM is supposed to be the start of Adult Swim with what is normally King of the Hill

Between Homeland, Dexter, Masters of Sex, Californication, and Ray Donovan Showtime is the home of "TV shows that were great for 1 season and should have stopped there".

Never watched Shameless or Billions though.

abundant

Between Homeland, Dexter, Masters of Sex, Californication, and Ray Donovan Showtime is the home of "TV shows that were great for 1 season and should have stopped there".

Never watched Shameless or Billions though.

IMO, Shameless is one of the rare Showtime shows that continued to be good past season 1. Sure, some of the earlier seasons may be better then the later ones, but the show is still worth watching.

vypek

I'm pretty sure Adult Swim lost the 8-9 PM timeslot to Cartoon Network starting on September 26th...for the forseeable future.

Oh had no idea. Hm, I wonder why though. Do you know if Adult Swim is pushed and hour back and will take the start of Cartoon Network in the morning or if the run of Adult Swim is just a total hour shorter?

locustlx

Oh had no idea. Hm, I wonder why though. Do you know if Adult Swim is pushed and hour back and will take the start of Cartoon Network in the morning or if the run of Adult Swim is just a total hour shorter?

No idea but I'm guessing it's just an hour shorter like it used to be...which honestly I think could be a good thing for Adult Swim (if they get rid of the double reruns and dedicate like an hour block to old school show reruns...stuff like Sealab, Harvey Birdman, and Space Ghost).

Chances are they won't though. Also I'm thinking Cartoon Network is trying to take back that one hour slot by putting Regular Show at that time. Probably to show that a Cartoon Network original gets more viewers that a syndicated rerun on Adult Swim (plus there's the cost of renewing syndication rights)

kevin1025

Banned
IMO, Shameless is one of the rare Showtime shows that continued to be good past season 1. Sure, some of the earlier seasons may be better then the later ones, but the show is still worth watching.

I would say Shameless is still a good show, but its characters make drastically bad choices on purpose to further the story, which is not as fun to watch. Before it felt like bad things happened to them due to circumstances, now it feels like they go out of their way to be in those circumstances.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Adult Swim shouldn't start before 10 p.m. anyway. Just doesn't feel right when it starts earlier than that.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yowser. And to think that there was a time when Cinemax thought they could overtake Starz and Showtime with their scripted output.

lol, did they really? They might've been able to too, if they had actually tried.

I hope Cinemax stick with their scripted output.

Me too. I've liked everything they've done thus far, to varying degrees.

It's like the #1-#2 show on Showtime.

I'll be the latest to say the Son of Zorn pilot was really bad. This could have been something really funny but it just sort of isn't? Maybe the pilot's just awkward and people need to get use to doing a show like this but it just seems like a waste.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The problem with the Zorn thing is that they literally could have had it be Borat instead of Zorn and you'd achieve the same effect. The cartoon thing was a complete waste of time and effort.

It reminded me of that Triumph the Insult Dog sitcom that aired a year (or two?) ago.

vypek

No idea but I'm guessing it's just an hour shorter like it used to be...which honestly I think could be a good thing for Adult Swim (if they get rid of the double reruns and dedicate like an hour block to old school show reruns...stuff like Sealab, Harvey Birdman, and Space Ghost).

Chances are they won't though. Also I'm thinking Cartoon Network is trying to take back that one hour slot by putting Regular Show at that time. Probably to show that a Cartoon Network original gets more viewers that a syndicated rerun on Adult Swim (plus there's the cost of renewing syndication rights)

I see what you mean. That makes a lot of sense.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Vulture - The 5 Questions That Will Shape TV’s Fall Narrative

Can NBC finally revive its comedy brand?

Odds are, the ratings [for NBC's new Thursday comedy block] will not be spectacular, particularly when The Big Bang Theory returns to Thursday at the end of October. But NBC is not looking for blockbuster numbers here. The network has been struggling at 8 p.m. on the night for years, and it’s not expecting a miracle. What it needs is for the hour to not totally tank, and to start generating good buzz. (Attracting a reasonable number of the highly educated, high-income viewers that advertisers covet would be nice, too.)

Who will win the streaming buzz battle?

In addition to the usual flurry of broadcast TV activity, this fall will feature what appears to be an unprecedented number of fourth-quarter launches by streaming giants Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix. The three major online players will roll out roughly two dozen new or returning series from September through year’s end (and that’s not counting shows targeted to kids and families). Because the streamers don’t release ratings, the main way to judge the “success” of these series will be by whether they appear to break through the pop-culture clutter, as Netflix’s Stranger Things did over the summer.

Will HBO turn the corner after an extended down cycle?

It’s been a rough couple of years for the pay-cable pioneer. Showtime has been stealing viewers, Emmys, and critical attention with hits such as Ray Donovan, Homeland and, to a lesser degree, Masters of Sex and The Affair. Starz has become a legit Sunday player with Power. In less than half a decade, Netflix made a serious run for HBO’s status as the undisputed champ of the premium-subscription space. A number of big programming bets yielded results that, ratings-wise, were either disappointing (The Leftovers, Looking, Togetherness, The Newsroom) or disastrous (Vinyl, The Brink). And while HBO once again has more Emmy nominees, its overall tally is way down this year, with FX nipping at its heels when you consider only scripted categories.

There are signs, however, HBO may be about to turn the page on its troubles.

Does the CBS audience really want more of the same?

CBS has thrived for over a decade by offering its viewers a programming diet dominated by predictable procedurals, unchallenging comedies, and Survivor. It’s a formula that works, and one which CBS execs are loathe to tamper with too much.

Based on how well duplication has worked in the past, it would be foolish to predict massive failure for the new lineup simply because critics are likely to pan most of the newcomers. And yet, it’s hard not to wonder whether CBS’s lack of creative inspiration could finally start to become a liability.

Will Empire be strong enough to keep Fox afloat?

Once again, because Empire remains such a big hit, the show can sustain even significant losses [in the ratings] and still retain its status as a hit. Its ability to make up for Fox’s other failings, however, could shrink significantly. All this will be moot, of course, if Fox manages to launch a big new hit with offerings such as the promising Pitch or its remake of Lethal Weapon. But if not, Fox’s year-to-year ratings declines could end up being pretty dramatic.

Much more @ the link.

The strange thing about this is that they're advertising it as being on at 8 p.m., which is when I thought Adult Swim started.

Yet it's still branded Cartoon Network.
AS and CN regular swap the 8 o'clock hour depending on the time of year. They're probably gonna give it back now.

KonradLaw

lol, did they really? They might've been able to too, if they had actually tried.

Yeah. I mean, they seem to be determined to have only one one sole show on air at any given time, one episode per week. THey make great shows, but just too damn few.

At the very least they should ressurect their hilarious erotic tv shows :D

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah. I mean, they seem to be determined to have only one one sole show on air at any given time, one episode per week.

By the end of the year they'll have only aired 26 weeks worth of originals!

THey make great shows, but just too damn few.

Way too few!

At the very least they should ressurect their hilarious erotic tv shows :D

Agree~

I can't quite follow their optimism on HBO. A lot of ifs.

WESTWORLD!!!!

Just watched the pilot of Speechless. Yup, this show has some promise. Like most comedy pilots, it packs a crap ton of stuff in here but let me just say, the main kid JJ is adorable. I think this is gonna be good. :)
Cute. It'll do well on ABC, I think.

whoszed

Did Ray Donovan do anything new this season? Apparently it's still getting renewed. I kinda felt like it was starting to follow a predictable pattern so I stopped after season 3 (I guess?).

TDLink

I'm pretty confident Westworld will be great but I don't know if that one show alone is enough to signify that HBO is "turning it around". Even if it's a huge hit, that's great but not a return to glory for HBO. They need more.

I think the streaming question is a bit dumb also. It's obviously going to be Netflix. Hulu and Amazon are investing into original programming more but Netflix just has such huge market penetration right now and big series launches pretty much every month. They just came off of Narcos. Luke Cage is an easy "popular" show to predict since it's Marvel. I think Black Mirror is going to do pretty well for them also.

kevin1025

Banned
Bloodline on Netflix will be ending after its upcoming third season.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bloodline-will-end-netflix-season-928743

The article cites that it might be over potential tension between Netflix and Sony, since the licensing fee and episode order had been slashed/cut down.

Also interesting since the creators mentioned having a five-year plan. It also says it could be shopped around, but Netflix is adamant about owning things, so I doubt that would happen.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bloodline-will-end-netflix-season-928743

The article cites that it might be over potential tension between Netflix and Sony, since the licensing fee and episode order had been slashed/cut down.

Also interesting since the creators mentioned having a five-year plan. It also says it could be shopped around, but Netflix is adamant about owning things, so I doubt that would happen.

I'm glad they're getting a 3rd season so we don't leave things with the massive cliffhanger. Hopefully this means they wrap it up in a nice bow.

That being said, it could have ended after S1. I thought S2 was a drag until the last couple of episodes.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

The loss of the Florida tax incentives probably made this inevitable. Hopefully they can wrap up the story to a degree. My brother is going to be bummed, he loves the show. I still need to get around to S2.

us this the first "cancelled" Netflix series?
Hemlock Grove?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Did Ray Donovan do anything new this season? Apparently it's still getting renewed. I kinda felt like it was starting to follow a predictable pattern so I stopped after season 3 (I guess?).

Not really. They did manage to turn Abby into a more sympathetic character, but it's sort of too little too late.

I'm pretty confident Westworld will be great but I don't know if that one show alone is enough to signify that HBO is "turning it around". Even if it's a huge hit, that's great but not a return to glory for HBO. They need more.

I think the streaming question is a bit dumb also. It's obviously going to be Netflix. Hulu and Amazon are investing into original programming more but Netflix just has such huge market penetration right now and big series launches pretty much every month. They just came off of Narcos. Luke Cage is an easy "popular" show to predict since it's Marvel. I think Black Mirror is going to do pretty well for them also.

He expands upon both of these points in the full article.

3 seasons is actually a really good number for the show. Even though they supposedly had a 5-6 season plan, I don't know if I would really want to see this particular story stretched out for that long. Plus, with the way last season ended, I think a lot of people expected this to be the final season anyway.

Joni

Fast-Demo-2016-Sep-WED.14.png

Blindspot doesn't look good considering the lead in. It will have to stand on its own next week.

gwailo

Banned
I would say Shameless is still a good show, but its characters make drastically bad choices on purpose to further the story, which is not as fun to watch. Before it felt like bad things happened to them due to circumstances, now it feels like they go out of their way to be in those circumstances.

I lost interest in the US version of Shameless this season and didn't get past the first couple of episodes. It feels like the later seasons of UK version in that the story/character arcs should be more concise, but the writers have to pad everything out to make things season-long. After a while the characters (especially Frank) turned into caricatures, and that feeling was coming to me with the US version. You can only see Fiona make yet another shitty life choice so many times before you lose interest.

I think it makes perfect sense to end Bloodline at Season 3. I enjoy the show quite a bit for the performances and atmosphere, but it's already a pretty slow burn, and I think one more season to conclude the story will work well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Pachimari

I have to start AHS as soon as I have finished Supergirl and TVD. Have only watched the pilot of S1 and it was right up my alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom