• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memles

Goddammit, Memles wrote a 5(!)-part series on the challenges of making an American version of a Norwegian teen drama (yes, that Skam one I've been going on about) and it's just everything.

In other, and somehow weirder, news about Skam adaptations, a Danish theatre is also adapting all four seasons as individual plays.

Oh, and that's not mentioning that there might be a court case over how a Norwegian clothing company is selling unlicensed Skam merchandise.

That IS a thing I did. (My Facebook memories just brought up another obsessive deep dive I wrote in April, so this is a pattern for me, clearly).

Talking about Skam. We are now gonna make a Danish version of the TV show with actors and actresses from our country and it will air on Danish television.

The idea of adapting it to theatre is interesting, but I'm so curious to know more about this: are they just remaking it? As I argue in the tome linked above, the format is built for loose adaptation, but I wonder how much attempts at replicating it will revert to "Oh, but we need an Isak, and we need a Noora," and get caught up just retelling the same story. And while that would fly in the U.S., Denmark has much easier access to the original Skam, so I have to presume they'd be more likely—hopefully?—to tell different stories?

TL;DR: I am in too deep.

berzeli

Banned
That IS a thing I did. (My Facebook memories just brought up another obsessive deep dive I wrote in April, so this is a pattern for me, clearly).

The idea of adapting it to theatre is interesting, but I'm so curious to know more about this: are they just remaking it? As I argue in the tome linked above, the format is built for loose adaptation, but I wonder how much attempts at replicating it will revert to "Oh, but we need an Isak, and we need a Noora," and get caught up just retelling the same story. And while that would fly in the U.S., Denmark has much easier access to the original Skam, so I have to presume they'd be more likely—hopefully?—to tell different stories?

TL;DR: I am in too deep.

Oh, hi there. Really liked getting a non-Nordic analysis on Skam <3 (which admittedly I still haven't really watched and just skimmed)

And I think Pachimari is confusing the theatre adaptation with a TV one, there is only a Danish theatre adaptation in the works and it seems to be following the show fairly closely. Here's an article about it, in Danish so you'll have to let Google mangle it a bit but it should come out readable.

And as to your tl;dr; you're not alone. There is a podcast here in Sweden on the counterpart of sorts to the AV Club dedicated to Skam, analysing each episode for about 60 minutes (and even more so in the comments). It's a shame (heh) that it's not English friendly.

Memles

Oh, hi there. Really liked getting a non-Nordic analysis on Skam <3 (which admittedly I still haven't really watched and just skimmed).

I saw a conference presentation about it in March, after having seen some tweets, and it's definitely something that's fascinating without even having seen the thing...but see the thing. It's definitely worth seeing the thing, and moves pretty quick.

berzeli

Banned
I saw a conference presentation about it in March, after having seen some tweets, and it's definitely something that's fascinating without even having seen the thing...but see the thing. It's definitely worth seeing the thing, and moves pretty quick.
It has turned into a cultural behemoth here, which is weird, so you get to appreciate it by osmosis. I can't think of any youth related media which hit it this big since Fucking Åmål (known in the US by its much tamer title Show Me Love) and that one was released in '98.

But just to placate you I will watch it, well placating you and getting to the baby gay plotline of season 3 and relive my confused youth years.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
A comic book-based streaming service from DC.

Someone check highway overpasses and suspension bridges for Stump.

Pachimari

Oh, hi there. Really liked getting a non-Nordic analysis on Skam <3 (which admittedly I still haven't really watched and just skimmed)

And I think Pachimari is confusing the theatre adaptation with a TV one, there is only a Danish theatre adaptation in the works and it seems to be following the show fairly closely. Here's an article about it, in Danish so you'll have to let Google mangle it a bit but it should come out readable.

And as to your tl;dr; you're not alone. There is a podcast here in Sweden on the counterpart of sorts to the AV Club dedicated to Skam, analysing each episode for about 60 minutes (and even more so in the comments). It's a shame (heh) that it's not English friendly.
Oh it's just a theatre thing? Well, I'll be skipping then, maybe just skimming through the Norwegian tv show someday.

Priz

I want to like Powerless so much... I love most of the cast (Pudi, Funches, Tudyk, Morales) in general and their previous work... but it hasn't made me laugh much at all and don't find it overall funny to watch. Even the episode Funches promised on twitter would make people finally laugh who didn't in the previous episodes (the mostly ad libbed episode directed by Jay Chandrasekhar "Sinking Day") I think I laughed out loud once. It could have been so much more... :( That being said I think the opening credits are awesome and the one thing I do really like about the show.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I want to like Powerless so much... I love most of the cast (Pudi, Funches, Tudyk, Morales) in general and their previous work... but it hasn't made me laugh much at all and don't find it overall funny to watch. Even the episode Funches promised on twitter would make people finally laugh who didn't in the previous episodes (the mostly ad libbed episode directed by Jay Chandrasekhar "Sinking Day") I think I laughed out loud once. It could have been so much more... :( That being said I think the opening credits are awesome and the one thing I do really like about the show.

I tried it and I just couldn't. Not my kind of humor. It felt like the type of show that wouldn't catch on, so this news isn't a surprise at all.

Supergirl taking a beating off the break

I'm surprised it didn't get a bump since it featured a cast member of the smash hit iZombie.

I'm already preemptively weeping for the atrocious ratings Arrow Wild Dog is going to get on Wednesday.

Weak return for Gotham too. Who could have predicted a nearly three month hiatus would hurt it?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Weak return for Gotham too. Who could have predicted a nearly three month hiatus would hurt it?

I feel like breaks have been all over the place this year. Coming back from winter break, and most shows had one or two eps, just to go on break for another month or so. Can't be good for ratings, and I don't understand why it's been so off and on like that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I assume they wanted 24 to have that Superbowl "bump", so that had to come back... and then they figured they could dump out APB as well I suppose. lol

Also, if Amazon loses the HBO back catalog, then lol, there goes the majority of their worthwhile TV content.

abundant

I feel like breaks have been all over the place this year. Coming back from winter break, and most shows had one or two eps, just to go on break for another month or so. Can't be good for ratings, and I don't understand why it's been so off and on like that.

With the exception of Gotham and B99, the schedules for most shows have been about what you'd expect for Winter/Spring time.

Hari Seldon

Has anyone gotten into Goliath on Amazon Prime? I watched the first episode and found it pretty good, I was wondering if I should stick with it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Detour has been renewed by TBS.

Apparently Amazon has disputed the report, and Vulture just gutlessly pulled the entire article instead of adding a correction or a note so who knows?

Oh, well ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

You've merely skimmed Skam? disappointed in you tbh

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So, can anyone think of a new thread title for Stump?

"Powerless powerless...against ratings!"
"Powerless got powered on, then off again."
"Powerless, also known as 'Funnyless'."

Crisis of Infinite Comic Shows.
NBC finds its kryptonite. Ratings.

Sandfox

Is this show consistently as good as this season's Halloween episode? Sadly, that's all I've seen...
For the most part. The second season was weird though compared to the first. It's weird how they completely changed the characters for the kids, but I guess the newer versions of the characters work better for comedy.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So which show was the redneck GOT?

Outsiders

I actually saw a hashtag related to it trending last week. Something about Farrell or whatever. I looked at it and it was the actors and fans trying to drum up interest so Netflix or Hulu would pick it up.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If anyone knows of any new UK/Canadian/Australian/Scandinavian/French/non US/non anime shows that are premiering this summer, shoot me a pm~

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This is my TV schedule for tomorrow:

Modern Family
Arrow
The 100
Underground
Harlots
Archer
Brockmire
Fargo
The Handmaid's Tale x 3
Gomorrah

someone send a doctor

firehawk12

Subete no aware

kevin1025

Banned
Yeah, it's like Powerless... bland, inoffensive workplace comedy with flanderized characters.

Yeah, or if you have Canadian proxies: http://watch.cbc.ca/anne/season-1/e8abfc85-670b-4034-b39c-54aba9c0ce43

I should give Powerless a try... I'm sure my Canadian DVR watch will help it get pulled back on the air! But yeah, Great News isn't bad by any means, it's definitely inoffensive. It opened well and then settled for the remainder.

Anyone waiting on Anne in a few weeks, it's real good!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Actually, that has me wondering: in the case of Powerless, is it still going to to air its last 3 episodes in Canada?

TripOpt55

This is my TV schedule for tomorrow:

Modern Family
Arrow
The 100
Underground
Harlots
Archer
Brockmire
Fargo
The Handmaid's Tale x 3
Gomorrah

someone send a doctor

How is Brockmire? My brother has been trying to get me to watch it, but his recommendations are kind of hit or miss with me.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Actually, that has me wondering: in the case of Powerless, is it still going to to air its last 3 episodes in Canada?
CTV doesn't have it on their schedule for this week but they do for next week. That may change but we won't know until next week.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How is Brockmire? My brother has been trying to get me to watch it, but his recommendations are kind of hit or miss with me.

Only 4 episodes have aired thus far - the first didn't do it for me at all, the second was a bit better, the third was a bit better than that, and the fourth was legit great. Despite a rocky start, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season.

ZeroX03

Banned
Let's just assume everything was repeats on Mon....

Fast-Demo-2017-Apr-24.MON_.png

That's series lows on both Jane and Supergirl I think. God damn those breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom