• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
There's a thread, but I thought I'd post the news in here as well:

Fox is bringing The X-Files back for another season.

It's all fun and games until they announce every episode will be written by Carter. Lol

Filming this summer. Airing in the 2017-2018 season. Hmm So probably airing in January. Some show is about to take a nice long 10 week hiatus (again).

There's a thread, but I thought I'd post the news in here as well:

Fox is bringing The X-Files back for another season.

Mostly good news ... maybe? The last season was uneven at best. I sort of wish they'd just pull mini-series out every other year. Go with three double-episode events back to back to back.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
here's my issue with teachers: It's good but not great

I think that's pretty fair. It's mid-level TV, which is something that's missing from the current prestige-seeking trend of hour-long slogs.

It's light, but the comedy does have an edge to it. It'll often produce a few audible laughs per episode from me, which is more than I can say about a few of the comedy shows I watch.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-thursday-ratings-4-20-2017.html

Fast-Demo-2017-Apr-20.THU_.png

The triumphant return of The Blacklist! Kinda sucks that people (in the demo) tuned out a bit for the second hour considering it was the best episode of that show in years.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Will X-Files bomb more than 24/Prison Break, after the last stupid season?
I would expect a dip based on quality and the reduced buildup in excitement over its return, but I suspect a majority of those who watched last season will keep watching, out of morbid curiosity and to get any tiny morsels of quality character interaction. I would expect information about the writers/directors to have an impact. A couple episodes with strong creative bonafides could get a lot of buy-in for whatever crap Chris Carter wants to do with the mythology.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
‘Shadowhunters’ Renewed For Season 3 By Freeform

It's almost interesting to see Mortal Instruments doing well on TV as compared to the film version. Almost.

Divergent about to be the comeback kid.

Good for the cast, crew, and fans. The lead is so hot that I almost just watched for that, but the show is not my cup of tea. At all. Even as background noise it's just way too silly for me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Deadline - PILOTS 2017: Very, Very Early Buzz Edition

Fox

Comedy:

Ghosted is getting strong early buzz; LA->Vegas is a hot prospect and the table read went well; Amy’s Brother, Thin Ice, and Type-A are all in the running.

Drama:

Untitled Marvel project looks good, possible early pick up; The Resident is getting early buzz.

ABC

Comedy:

Household Name was well received, a possible companion to Last Man Standing or Will and Grace if ABC decides to pass on it and NBC picks it up; early praise for Raised By Wolves and Start Up; "early internal support" for The Goldbergs spinoff, Charlie Foxtrot and Jalen vs. Everybody; "will to make" Libby & Malcolm work; Black-ish spinoff not too hot right now.

Drama:

Unit Zero = chatter; solid early buzz for Reba's new show; Shondaland's new legal drama looks promising; expectations are high for Deception; The Gospel Of Kevin is getting good notices.

NBC

Comedy:

Champions and The Sackett Sisters are garnering attention; What About Barb? = buzzy; Spaced Out a possibility.

Drama:

Rise has been getting strong early buzz; Reverie is getting promising early mentions.

CBS

Comedy:

9J, 9K & 9L = early standout; Me, Myself & I and Distefano are possibilities.

Drama:

People are talking about Instinct and the Untitled SEAL project y'all; high expectations for S.W.A.T; The Get is a possibility; Mission Control was mentioned!

The CW

Comedy:

Life Sentence and Insatiable are contenders.

Drama:

Dynasty is the frontrunner; Black Lightning is a hot prospect; Searchers is still in the running.

Deadline - PILOTS 2017: More Very Early Buzz

(Descriptions of the new pilots)

Fox

Comedy:

Ghosted still going strong; LA->Vegas and Type-A are also well received; Linda From HR and Thin Ice are possibilities.

Drama:

Untitled Marvel project is a sure bet; The Resident is in the running; University project and Behind Enemy Lines both possibilities.

ABC

Comedy:

Single-Dad is gaining momentum; Household Name mentioned; Losing It heating up; Start Up, The Goldbergs spinoff,, Charlie Foxtrot and Raised by Wolves are all in contention; Libby & Malcolm might not make it for being too topical.

Drama:

The Good Doctor is heating up; Shondaland's new legal drama is going strong; Deception is getting attention; Reba's new show and Unit Zero are in serious contention; Las Reinas exceeding expectations.

NBC

Comedy:

The Sackett Sisters is getting attention, as is Champions and Untitled high school comedy; What About Barb? is in the running.

Drama:

Rise and For God and Country are favorites; buzz for Reverie and Good Girls.

CBS

Comedy:

9J, 9K & 9L is going strong; Me, Myself & I and Living Biblically are possibilities.

Drama:

Instinct and S.W.A.T. are being talked about; Perfect Citizen, Untitled SEAL project, and Wisdom of the Crowd are mentioned; The Get is garnering positive early responses.

The CW

Comedy:

Life Sentence is heating up; Insatiable is considered a dark horse because it's so different from anything else on the network.

Drama:

Black Lightning and Dynasty are considered The CW's hottest prospects; Searchers running into speed bumps.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Whats the word on Girlboss?

52 on Metacritic

Yahoo TV said:
This TV series tries to capture some of the adventure in venture capitalism, but it suffers from an excess of aggressive cutesiness. ... The whole thing is alternately tedious and tiring.

Entertainment Weekly said:
The frenetic Girlboss is a frustrating but occasionally fun show that might be too enamored with its subject. ... I kept watching the series because of its charming cast.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
An impressive lead performance by Britt Robertson, freed from what seems like chronic misuse, was enough to keep me watching through too many meandering episodes, but some viewers will surely demand more consistency and less erratic displays of imagination.

Aiii

So not worth it
Whats the word on Girlboss?

I put it on in the background while playing some Persona.

If you are the person that says someone is "rebellious" when you actually mean "she's a complete dick to everyone and a huge cunt for no reason" then this is the show for you. This is one of those shows where you have no clue why this person has any friends.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It could be the John Ridley project so it might be on a different level.

The Untitled Marvel Project that they're talking about is the one at Fox.

"Matt Nix will write and executive-produce with Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg, Jeph Loeb, and Jim Chory."

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

"Matt Nix will write and executive-produce with Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg, Jeph Loeb, and Jim Chory."

Finally my Cypher the X-Man who can understand any language procedural.

Joni

Oh, the xmen mutant show. I read marvel, I think about the others. So good news stump, we are still expecting one more marvel show.

Divergent about to be the comeback kid.

Good for the cast, crew, and fans. The lead is so hot that I almost just watched for that, but the show is not my cup of tea. At all. Even as background noise it's just way too silly for me.

I watched the first few episodes in the first season but despite the hotness I just couldn't stomach any more teen drama shit, I get my fill of that from the CW shows.

Grizzlyjin

did redneck Game of Thrones end on a cliffhanger?

Highly doubt it'll end conclusively. They really had no reason to believe they were in danger. Production office in the Burgh and writers room had already been told to get ready for Season 3 too.

I think Manhattan (cancelled after 2 seasons) just got lucky ending at the perfect spot. The timeline of the show meant they got to the big moment right at the Season 2 finale. And that was definitely planned since the season starts with a flash forward to that moment. But if it had been cancelled after 1 season, there would've been hanging threads.

I doubt Netflix is interested. Maybe CMT? It's still a young show, you could soft reboot things for S3.

Younger and Teachers have been renewed by TVLand

This is super exciting for my wife. Her friend is one of the principals on Teachers and she just found out she's expecting. It will give her some stability since she didn't know if she was going to be able to stay in LA despite writing all the episodes and acting for two seasons.

berzeli

Banned
I won't comment on that article. I will however quote a twitter post:
8TlXImH.png

In unrelated news, it's been pretty darn interesting to read memles' thoughts on Skam. Also please send help, I'm drowning in the tidal wave of Skam season 4 things. I know that me talking about a Norwegian TV show aimed at teens might not be all that exciting to you lot, but I'm not sure I've been able to accurately portray the impact of this show. It's everywhere here.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Apparently 'Feud' has been renewed for a third season as well, according to Deadline. Lange and Sarandon will continue on as exec producers and will also have roles in every season.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Just started following this topic... Some shows I'm hoping that continue for a bit, and some that I've watched for so many years, I'm at the point where I'll see them through to the end (and hope that they get cancelled so I can stop >_>)

I guess this is the time of year when announcements of renewals and cancellations usually happen, since the main fall-starting season is ending?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I won't comment on that article. I will however quote a twitter post:
8TlXImH.png

Queen Nellie stays slaying:

We have the first formal step toward series pickups made by a broadcast network this season. As I reported in my second Pilot Buzz roundup, NBC has given two drama pilots — Rise, from former Friday Night Lights showrunner Jason Katims and Hamilton producer Jeffrey Seller; and For God and Country, from writer Dean Georgaris — permission to start making firm offers to writers. While not an outright pickup, such gesture by a network is almost always followed by a series greenlight. In the past two years, NBC did it with its drama pilots This Is Us, Blindspot, The Player and Heartbreaker, all of which later were ordered to series.

All pilots vet prospective writers and offer those they like “if come” deals contingent on a pickup, but a blessing by the network allows the studios to lock in sought-after writer-producers early with firm offers. Both Rise and For God and Country hail from Universal TV.

G0523

Just started following this topic... Some shows I'm hoping that continue for a bit, and some that I've watched for so many years, I'm at the point where I'll see them through to the end (and hope that they get cancelled so I can stop >_>)

I guess this is the time of year when announcements of renewals and cancellations usually happen, since the main fall-starting season is ending?

It'll happen in a couple of weeks, yes. It's when all the big networks hold a press conference called "Upfronts" and actually tell us what is and is not renewed for the new fall season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom