• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Banned
Seems like Hulu finally has their first standout drama in The Handmaid's Tale. I wonder if it will actually break out for them or if it will be doomed to "hidden gem" status?
I think it really has the potential to break out, it's a critical darling so far, the trailer is the most watched thing on Hulu's youtube channel, and it just seems to have captured the zeitgeist like nothing else on TV right now. Which is a bit interesting since the book is from 1985.

berzeli

Banned
So Netflix decided to do pick up a Swedish show as an original:
”We’re pleased to confirm that Bonus Family (”Bonusfamiljen”) will be coming to Netflix later this year and are excited to be able to provide a platform where it can be enjoyed by our members around the world.”
I did not see this one coming. I figured they would just snap up a Nordic Noir and call it a day.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Feed The Beast and Guilt were both just one season right?

The only thing the show had going for it at the start was showing how the outbreak would start.

Then they mostly completely skipped over that in the actual show, and it's become just another zombie survivor show. What really is the thing that differentiates it from Walking Dead beyond the setting?
Exactly, it was literally the only thing that had me excited initially.
Especially because that is something all zombie media either halfasses or mainly just entirely skips over.
And then they had the boat which was also a good feature of a zombie show and sidelined that.

Imo, i'd rather they cancel it and pick up that Resident Evil series and try cross-promoting it.

or basically reboot and do a completely different unique setting.
Won't happen for $$$ reasons but a series or even season in the Asian Pacific is really what would interest me alongside Walking Dead(which might have already lost me after that final though)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh dang, they added all 7 seasons of Mad Men to my region's netflix.

Time to finally watch it?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
2 Broke girls looks like from complete baseless assumption it's going be the Two and a half men of this generation

It started good, then Whitney Cummings had her show cancelled, and she probably had more writing in the show, and it just started going down the tubes.

I entered the thread for the title.
So whats redneck gane of thrones? :p

So Netflix decided to do pick up a Swedish show as an original:

I did not see this one coming. I figured they would just snap up a Nordic Noir and call it a day.

Did something similar with a super popular spanish TV series El Ministerio del Tiempo (the Ministry of Time), although they share finances and broadcast with the public channel that created it (they didnt have money for such a big sci-fi/history series and always was at the brink of cancelation, so Netflix came and added cash).
I really hope Netflix treats it as an original in their channel, logo at the beggining and all.
Im also glad the rest of the world can enjoy it now, because its really good fun (and you will learn sime interesting spanish history in the process, some of it I didnt even know about because I went to an english school when I was younger)

BTW this is the series Timeless copied REALLY badly (after fox wanted to buy the rights and then decided to copy without paying a cent).
Timeless is not returning for sure, as they have been sued by the El Ministerio del Tiempo and their ratings are bad.

Pachimari

I will be more than okay with The Originals and Agents of Shield getting a limited final season. And it'll be nice if The Exorcist will be back too.

Define showrunner as in

On the drama side, freshman drama Designated Survivor, a strong delayed viewing and international performer (ABC Studios co-produces with indie Mark Gordon Co.) is certain to come back,and in anticipation of a renewal the series is in the process of hiring a new showrunner.

Yes!!!!

Even Quantico, which has been struggling this season after a solid first year, appears likely to continue as it makes money for ABC Studios via international and SVOD (Netflix) deals. (It also features a global star in Priyanka Chopra.)

Joni

Define showrunner as in

He is basically the chief responsible for the show. It is the producer that leads the entire show, basically sets-up season long plots, leads casting, .. They basically do what you'd think a movie director does. So in this case, they like the idea of the show but don't think the current showrunner can make it interesting.

vypek

Its always cool to see people related to projects that you didn't realize before.

Just watched an episode of Mike Tyson Mysteries from my DVR and noticed that the writers for the episode are actually the protagonists of the new show Nobodies and one of them voices a character. Pretty cool to see, especially since the protagonists on the show work on a cartoon.

This seems like a good place to ask. How does one find old viewership numbers? My partner is having a bad time trying to find data for a research paper. Specifically they want some U.S. numbers for Pokemon. Ideally from back during its peak in the 90's.

This is very strange because Outsiders was WGN's highest rated show. Despite the thread title, it was a hit for WGN (bigger than a lot of shows on AMC, FX, etc.) and should have been a lock for renewal.

It sounds like they're diverting their budget away from producing unique and high quality dramas and directing it towards making smaller, cheaper shows. We were talking not too long ago about smaller cable channels struggling due to the increased pressures of #PeakTV, etc. - I'm guessing this is probably the first sign of that.

Which is weird because WGN actually had shows that critics payed attention to and were on their way to becoming a real competitor in the space, so it would be a shame if they shifted away from it.

I wonder what this means for Underground? (and Scalped?)

Tribune Media is making drastic cuts all around, it seems.

maxcriden

BTW this is the series Timeless copied REALLY badly (after fox wanted to buy the rights and then decided to copy without paying a cent).
Timeless is not returning for sure, as they have been sued by the El Ministerio del Tiempo and their ratings are bad.

The Deadline article makes it sound like Timeless has a shot, but I'm not sure if they're aware of the litigation.

berzeli

Banned
Sony and NBC, not Fox.
Also that suit is not going to give them anything.The shows are far too dissimilar and unless they can produce an email which pretty much literally states how Sony and NBC planned to copy the show, that they are in fact copying the show with malicious intent that suit will likely just get tossed.
The Deadline article makes it sound like Timeless has a shot, but I'm not sure if they're aware of the litigation.
lol.
Deadline is most definitely aware of the litigation.

edit: Did the AV Club just get a redesign? I don't like it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And the award for single worst episode of the 2017 TV season goes to...

Animals season 2 episode 5, 'Humans'!

A disastrously unfunny 30 minute live action Adult Swim sketch masquerading as an HBO comedy, starring RuPaul, Dan Harmon, Judy Greer, Raven-Symone, and a bunch of other poor unfortunate souls who somehow managed to get suckered into this garbage fire of a shitshow.

I'm talkin 'Gravity' tier you guys.

It literally made me spit up blood.

caliph95

edit: Did the AV Club just get a redesign? I don't like it.
It did i like the previous one too, you should see the other redesign they did for the comments it was horrible before they fixed it

A disastrously unfunny 30 minute live action Adult Swim sketch masquerading as an HBO comedy, starring RuPaul, Dan Harmon, Judy Greer, Raven-Symone, and a bunch of other poor unfortunate souls who somehow managed to get suckered into this garbage fire of a shitshow.

How was animals in general

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How was animals in general

It's whatever. Some of the segments are clever, most of them aren't. The animation is awful and the art direction is ugly and unpleasant. It looks like a cheap YouTube show made by 2 people, which would be fine for YouTube, but I expect way more out of an HBO production.

Love the negativity ratsky.

As bad as Gravity. That's a fucking deathblow. At least Gravity had Krysten Ritter (AKA the only reason I watched that monstrosity.)

I watched the first episode of Animals back when it premiered and that was enough for me.

caliph95

TIL there is a series called Gravity, this confuses me because i thought people were talking about the movie while not amazing wasn't horrible either

Read half of your post, got to the bolded, and imagined the rest of it being read by Ursula.

tumblr_lygwogzquq1r4mekxo1_250.gif

Rhaknar

Read half of your post, got to the bolded, and imagined the rest of it being read by Ursula.

tumblr_lygwogzquq1r4mekxo1_250.gif

told you, its the dark middle chapter Ratsky.

Shadow Ratsky, time to steal his heart.

Im playing too much Persona

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
There was a redneck game of thrones? Was it just the cast of Duck Dynasty vs the cast of Pawn Stars?

More like Sons of Anarchy: Appalachians​. Despicable yet charming outlaw types doing generic bad things.

WGN really must be shifting in a new direction cause they keep throwing away their shows. Salem, Manhattan, Outsiders, and Underground is a solid start for original programming. And now Underground is the only one still around.

KonradLaw

More like Sons of Anarchy: Appalachians​. Despicable yet charming outlaw types doing generic bad things.

WGN really must be shifting in a new direction cause they keep throwing away their shows. Salem, Manhattan, Outsiders, and Underground is a solid start for original programming. And now Underground is the only one still around.

It's ok. They just started filming Scalped :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I do hope it gets picked up somewhere. I could see it fitting into AMC, FX, or TNT's schedules pretty easily.
AMC could pair it with Walking Dead and make it a comic book night. lol Netflix could have it replace Longmire whenever they film that final season.
But yeah, it'd probably work on any cable network.

KonradLaw

Don't be surprised if WGN passes on 'Scalped' - they seem to be moving away from producing shows on the level of their previous ones.

They camed out and publically stated they will focus on diversity. A show with mostly native american cast is perfect for that. And it's been in development hell since 2014. Would seem strange to greenlight filming now if they didn't intend to pick it up

berzeli

Banned
I do hope it gets picked up somewhere. I could see it fitting into AMC, FX, or TNT's schedules pretty easily.
Speaking of which, what is going on with TNT? They haven't done anything noteworthy in a while (or at least noteworthy to me), it seems like Reilly has a lot riding on The Alienist.
They camed out and publically stated they will focus on diversity. A show with mostly native american cast is perfect for that. And it's been in development hell since 2014. Would seem strange to greenlight filming now if they didn't intend to pick it up
That statement was just corporate Mad Libs. Don't read too much into it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They camed out and publically stated they will focus on diversity. A show with mostly native american cast is perfect for that.

"Diverse programming strategy", which could mean anything. It could mean they're canceling their highest rated show because it stars white people and they want to instead focus on shows with minority leads - or it could more likely mean that they want to make cheaper shows: half hour shows, flash animation shows, reality, webseries, etc. instead of focusing on premium dramas.

Even though those premium dramas just gave them their biggest month ever last month.

And it's been in development hell since 2014. Would seem strange to greenlight filming now if they didn't intend to pick it up

The Scalped pilot was officially greenlit over a year ago and casting began in February, but WGN's new shift in strategy is apparently coming from someone who took the reigns just last month. They probably have some kind of commitment to produce a pilot, but they may not even be in the market for premium dramas anymore, depending on what their strategy is going forward (and who even knows what that is - their statement was confusing and vague af).

Speaking of which, what is going on with TNT? They haven't done anything noteworthy in a while (or at least noteworthy to me), it seems like Reilly has a lot riding on The Alienist.

How could you forget about Claws?! Legit one of my most anticipated shows (dibs on OT). They also got that Young William Shakespeare show in the works.

But yeah, their new "edgy and complex drama" strategy hasn't been working all that well for them - both Animal Kingdom and Good Behavior just kind of came and went with little fanfare.

berzeli

Banned
How could you forget about Claws?! Legit one of my most anticipated shows (dibs on OT). They also got that Young William Shakespeare show in the works.

But yeah, their new "edgy and complex drama" strategy hasn't been working all that well for them - both Animal Kingdom and Good Behavior just kind of came and went with little fanfare.
I didn't forget about it (how could I?). But I don't see it as a show which is that important to the future of TNT/Reilly. I try not to think about Will, and also it was originally commissioned by Pivot so that one also falls into the less important pile.

I was looking at Wikipedia before my post, and I honestly couldn't remember what that show was.

Just_one

all i care is :

Blindspot (just finished Season 1 so im on the fence if i should see season 2)
Gotham (best show on TV right now so this better get renewed!!)
Agents of Shield (still have to see almost this entire season so see blindspot reason)

styl3s

That statement was just corporate Mad Libs. Don't read too much into it.
I'll tell you what isn't going on with TNT, Southland. *punches wall*.

Speaking of TNT did Animal Kingdom ever get renewed/canceled? i kind of enjoyed the first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom