• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Banned
I'll tell you what isn't going on with TNT, Southland. *punches wall*.

Speaking of TNT did Animal Kingdom ever get renewed/canceled? i kind of enjoyed the first season.

Animal Kingdom got renewed, next season starts May 30.

Did you see the Australian film it is based on? Something to tide you over whilst you wait (not like there is 385 other shows currently airing).

styl3s

Did you see the Australian film it is based on? Something to tide you over whilst you wait (not like there is 385 other shows currently airing).
Had no idea it was based on a film i will have to hunt it down and watch it.

And yeah i am currently catching up on about 300 shows.

Pachimari

Was the tv show any good? I never got around to it even though I was super hyped about it. Hopefully it's great, and yeah, I'm gonna watch the movie tonight I'm sure.

Guerrilla, The Handmaid's Tale and American Gods should be worth following as well?

berzeli

Banned
Had no idea it was based on a film i will have to hunt it down and watch it.
It's pretty damn good.
Was the tv show any good? I never got around to it even though I was super hyped about it. Hopefully it's great, and yeah, I'm gonna watch the movie tonight I'm sure.

Guerrilla, The Handmaid's Tale and American Gods should be worth following as well?
Eh, I don't know. I refused to watch it on the basis that it might dissuade TNT from picking up a certain other pilot based on a "foreign" film. And it worked.

Yes. All three. Because there can't just be one must see show...

Pachimari

It's pretty damn good.

Eh, I don't know. I refused to watch it on the basis that it might dissuade TNT from picking up a certain other pilot based on a "foreign" film. And it worked.

Yes. All three. Because there can't just be one must see show...
I had hoped they would pick up Let the Right One In damn.

I also didn't imply there could only be one must see show. I just wondered if those three were the ones to keep an eye on this season.

berzeli

Banned
I had hoped they would pick up Let the Right One In damn.

I also didn't imply there could only be one must see show. I just wondered if those three were the ones to keep an eye on this season.
But why? We've got an amazing film and an aggressively mediocre American remake which didn't understand the source material already. And it was clear that the show was going to miss the point of the novel yet again.
Be joyous that it got aborted.

What I wrote was meant as a "oh dear god there is too much TV". There is also the return of Twin Peaks, Fargo, and the third season of the best damn show on TV right now Le Bureau des Légendes.

Penguin

24 ends again, this time not with a bang but a whimper

Fast-Demo-2017-Apr-17.MON_.png

Pachimari

I'm at S01E03 on Fargo and is hoping to catch up with it before the second episode of Season 3 airs. It seems very interesting, and the acting is something special. They don't feel like real people, but rather with a twist of exaggerated theatricals.

- EW: Netflix says Dave Chappelle specials are its most-watched ever
“The triumphant return of a comedy legend in Dave Chappelle: Collection 1 was our most viewed comedy special ever,” the company stated. “We are also finding this to be true in international markets as well, with comedian Gad Elmaleh’s Gad Gone Wild, a breakout hit in France last quarter.”
Also in the letter: Marvel’s latest Iron Fist, which also debuted last month, was singled out as a “highly viewed” during the quarter. Like Chappelle, Iron Fist also ran into a wave of online criticism, this time for the casting of white actor Finn Jones in the lead role of a martial arts expert.

Of course, Netflix didn’t actually reveal any ratings to back up the boasts — it never does — though given both were in a letter to investors the company presumably has to keep its statements accurate. The company is creeping toward a record 100 million subscribers (98.8 million).

- Nielsen Says It Sees Significant TV Viewing Lifts From New Measures
Nielsen has an encouraging message for TV producers and distributors as they dive into the upfront ad sales season.

Recent ratings declines will look less worrisome as they account for the growth of delayed viewing via DVRs and VOD, as well as digital and out of home viewing, execs said in a press briefing this morning.

“More and more viewing is happening outside of seven days,” especially for broadcast TV shows that aren’t repeated, says Client Solutions and Audience Insights EVP Sara Erichson. When you extend the window to 35 days — which Nielsen began to do in September — then “in some cases you see double digit increases.”

That was the case for episodes of several shows broadcast the week of February 13-19: The audience for NBC’s This Is Us grew 13% when Nielsen added people who watched between 8 and 35 days after it aired. CBS’ Big Bang Theory also improved 13% while ABC’s Modern Family was up 14%.

Nielsen said that CBS’ entertainment series found an additional 15% of viewers in the month after the first week.

The ratings company also is keeping an eye on viewing in the 56% of TV households that have a digital streaming device, an internet enabled video game console, or an internet enabled smart TV.

They accounted for an hour and 10 minutes of the three hours and 57 minutes that 18-to-34 year old viewers spent watching TV on an average day in Q1, Nielsen says.

Although they’re less popular with older audiences, they still accounted for 51 minutes of the 5:08 hours that 25-to-54 year olds spent watching TV.

The trend is “fundamentally changing TV,” Erichson says.

In addition, Nielsen is beginning to monitor what streaming services people watch. Netflix accounted for 46% of time spent streaming over five weeks from mid January to mid February. It was followed by YouTube at 15%, Hulu at 8%, and Amazon at 4%. Another 11% went to other services while Nielsen couldn’t determine a source for 17%.

berzeli

Banned
In addition, Nielsen is beginning to monitor what streaming services people watch. Netflix accounted for 46% of time spent streaming over five weeks from mid January to mid February. It was followed by YouTube at 15%, Hulu at 8%, and Amazon at 4%. Another 11% went to other services while Nielsen couldn't determine a source for 17%.
Jesus. Hastings were right in saying "We're competing with sleep", I didn't think the gap would be that big.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ted Sarandos said:
Since the launch of The Ridiculous 6, Netflix members have spent more than half a billion hours enjoying the films of Adam Sandler.

Just in case people were wondering why Netflix keeps making Adam Sandler movies.

Holy shit, Showtime's Guerrilla BOMBED with just 182K viewers.
(But on demand/dvr lift, prestige, etc etc etc)

I wonder if showtime really paid anything for it - my understanding is that Sky TV (UK) co-produced it, and it was probably financed by other parties. Its also airing in the UK simultaneously, since it takes place in the UK in the 70s may not be that attractive to US audiences.

- THR: Netflix Ratings Guesser Symphony Shutters Young Measurement Tool
Netflix's lack of ratings transparency is about to get even less transparent.

Little more than a year after making headlines for professing to know how many users were watching Netflix's sprawling slate of scripted originals, veteran measurement company Symphony Advanced Media has halted its efforts to game the system. Its young VideoPulse service, which drew on a panel of 15,000 users, shut down over the weekend.

"We deeply regret that Symphony Advanced Media will be shutting down its VideoPulse service effective 4/16/2017," reads a statement on the website. "VideoPulse customers will be able to access historical data until 5/1/2017."

Symphony sparked a flurry of trend pieces when it let alleged Netflix "ratings" slip, at first though a January 2016 PowerPoint presentation by former NBCUniversal research chief Alan Wurtzel, and then started regularly releasing estimates of original series audiences over the course of the last year. Among the most illuminating stats delivered in that time were the number of Thanksgiving weekend Gilmore Girls bingers and the astronomical audience tally for the first season of Fuller House.

But all of Symphony's numbers, which also showed comparatively minuscule audiences for streaming rival Amazon Prime, were greeted with figurative shrugs from Netflix brass.

"Given what is really remarkably inaccurate data, I hope they didn't spend any money on it," Netflix CCO Ted Sarandos said in 2016. "The methodology doesn't reflect any sense of reality we keep track of."

Symphony's clientele ultimately wasn't spending money on VideoPulse. The service was shuttered after failing to generate enough support from the networks and studios needed to bankroll the operation.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't see it as a show which is that important to the future of TNT/Reilly.

you take that back

I wonder if showtime really paid anything for it - my understanding is that Sky TV (UK) co-produced it, and it was probably financed by other parties. Its also airing in the UK simultaneously, since it takes place in the UK in the 70s may not be that attractive to US audiences.

It might be a bit like The Young Pope, where HBO barely paid anything for it and had virtually no involvement in the production. Still!

Did you expect it to do otherwise? I certainly didn't.

I didn't expect it to be a hit, no, but I also didn't think it'd perform on the level of a Sundance original.

Penguin

not been paying attention and still not great numbers, but it does seem like AoS has rebounded a bit in the.. 3rd segment of the season?

Also poor iZombie, running neck and neck with Flash reruns...

Prison Break's return momentum seems to be gone. Much like 24 Legacy

Fast-Demo-2017-Apr-18.TUE_.png

Aiii

So not worth it
I gotta think that Trial & Error isn't coming back next season. It did grow on me a little during the run though.

Please return. Don't know why you needed it to grow on you, it was great from the first minute of the first episode.

vypek

Please return. Don't know why you needed it to grow on you, it was great from the first minute of the first episode.

Most of the jokes weren't landing for me. There were a lot of far too obvious things that would boil down to a character saying something and then the opposite happening. That was especially true of Josh. Other characters would say something and then an example would immediately be used in the same scene. It just didn't work for me for a while.

It got better later and the characters were always a part that I liked though. It would be nice to see it return.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It won't, but I wish both of these flopping would put a stop to all the reboots lazy ass networks are doing.

Or, if you're going to reboot just mash them all together.

Give me that 24/Prison Break/Herman's Head crossover season I've been writing fanfics of for a decade.

Barrage

I wonder if there would be more of a market for yearly "TV Movies" of these reboots, rather than 8-10 episode seasons. I'd be down to check in with Prison Break if it followed the Sherlock model.

Busty

Banned
I wonder if there would be more of a market for yearly "TV Movies" of these reboots, rather than 8-10 episode seasons. I'd be down to check in with Prison Break if it followed the Sherlock model.

True. Three 90 minute (well, 2 hrs with ads) TV movies a season could definitely work in this 'peak TV' landscape.

This format might even lend itself to more obscure comic book characters (not that we need anymore) getting some screen time.

I'd be up for three Jonah Hex TV movies a year.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Happy to hear about Teachers. It's a pretty fun show and it's nice that Viacom isn't going to completely deprecate all their channels but MTV, Comedy Central, and apparently, The Paramount Network just yet.

Hope to hear about Throwing Shade, too.

vypek

TVLand does renewals typically after the seasons conclude, right?

Would like to hear about Nobodies and Lopez as well since I am enjoying both.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Happy to hear about Teachers. It's a pretty fun show and it's nice that Viacom isn't going to completely deprecate all their channels but MTV, Comedy Central, and apparently, The Paramount Network just yet.

Hope to hear about Throwing Shade, too.

here's my issue with teachers: It's good but not great

And we already have Those Who Can't, which is also good but not great.

They both feel like background TV, or like something that'd be bought from a Canadian network to fill summer slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom