• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah. I agree. I'm giving that one my 'official' guess. The promotion for that show is basically zilch.

Heh, some other folks are saying Star Trek, like I first thought, but then being reminded ad nauseam that it can't be.

kevin1025

Banned
Not as far as I can tell. It's weird that they didn't just burn it off alongside Bates Motel since they already bought the rights to it iirc.

Yeah, I don't see it anywhere, not even on the A&E website, haha.

My gut is telling me Inhumans, and trying to sell it to Netflix. Then Netflix shuddered and said, "The Buck stops here."

Joni

Twin Peaks.

The way he writes this article makes it sound like the very worst of the rumors swirling around Star Trek: Discovery (which I pray are lofty exaggerations at worst). Needless to say, however, that show doesn't fit the bill at all, since it's already slated for streaming.

Indeed. It is supposed to be a television show, so it can't be the streaming Star Trek show.

People in that article's comments section are saying maybe it's Still Star Crossed.

Shonda would be powerful, but the show got expelled to the summer so not that influential.

Inhumans seems too easy to be the answer.

Considering how bad "The Catch" was, I'd say "Still Star-Crossed" seems most likely.

Dark horse answer? This.
Somewhere Between is an upcoming American drama television series commissioned by ABC and produced by ITV Studios America and Thunderbird Entertainment. The show is an American adaption of the Korean mystery TV show God's Gift: 14 Days, which aired on SBS. The show follows a mother who travels back in time to prevent the murder of her daughter. It will star Paula Patton, while Stephen Tolkin (Legend of the Seeker, Brothers & Sisters) will serve as writer and executive producer. Production began on March 7, 2017, in Vancouver. The series is set to premiere on July 24, 2017.[2] Episode one will be called "Appointment in Samarra"

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I think the issue with "first season" re: Twin Peaks is -- and correct me if I'm wrong here, but -- isn't the revival supposed to last just the one season?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
He does make a point of mentioning that it could be cable, which is sort of unusual since Ausiello mainly deals with broadcast network stuff (though it might just be a red herring).

I'm trying to think of what it could be if it is cable...I'm assuming it has to be a period piece or a sci-fi/fantasy show that would cost a lot already and then go way over budget...

Twin Peaks has "influential Powers That Be" and had budgetary problems early on, but it's the third season so it doesn't really fit (it's also one of the most hyped shows in years, so there's no way they'd consider dropping it when it's set to drive subscriptions like crazy.) EDIT: Also, what JeffZero said.

I'm also thinking it could maybe be "I'm Dying Up Here" because if Vinyl could cost $100 million, then so could that (and the trailer looked awful).

On the other hand, Showtime had no problems airing Dexter or Roadies, so I doubt they'd only just now start to care so much about quality that they'd consider dropping a high profile stinker just to avoid having one more grace their channel.

Maybe The Terror on AMC, Will on TNT, Snowfall on FX, Knightfall on History, or The Mist on Spike?

Perhaps it's Counterpart on Starz? Sci-fi thriller with JK Simmons and Morten Tyldum?

Honestly, cable doesn't seem likely to me. It's probably Still Star-Crossed or Inhumans.

Whooter

Honestly, cable doesn't seem likely to me. It's probably Still Star-Crossed or Inhumans.

I don't think Inhumans has filmed anything other than (maybe) the theatrical pilot, yet, has it?. Certainly not enough to qualify for "most episodes coming in way, way, way, way, way over budget."

Still Star-Crossed would be my bet.

Patryn

I do wonder about The Mist. Even outside the quality, given the shift of the network from Spike to Paramount I would think they'd possibly be more inclined to try to ditch the old content as it attempts to forge a new identity.

That being said, Still Star-Crossed still sounds like the most likely suspect.

berzeli

Banned
He does make a point of mentioning that it could be cable, which is sort of unusual since Ausiello mainly deals with broadcast network stuff (though it might just be a red herring).
One of the comments suggests the Seth Macfarlane thing (Orville). And it could fit, especially as it's Seth's first live action series and sci-fi can get costly.
But I'm with you, leaning towards Still Star Crossed or Inhumans. Can't think of a cable show that fits the bill either.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I very much doubt that it's Inhumans. ABC isn't going to try and "dump" the series that they're co-producing with IMAX. Too big of a project.

I'm a little worried about Inhumans but I don't think that fits the description here.

One of the comments suggests the Seth Macfarlane thing (Orville). And it could fit, especially as it's Seth's first live action series and sci-fi can get costly.
But I'm with you, leaning towards Still Star Crossed or Inhumans. Can't think of a cable show that fits the bill either.

But is it drama though?

It seems like a comedy show.

Just been reading the synopsis on Still Star Crossed, sounds like an absolute car crash, a straight laced period drama sequel to Romeo and Juliet? It's the sort of thing you'd usually find straight to video in the bargain bin at the petrol station.

Busty

Banned
I very much doubt that it's Inhumans. ABC isn't going to try and "dump" the series that they're co-producing with IMAX. Too big of a project.

I'm a little worried about Inhumans but I don't think that fits the description here.

Given how Inhumans is still filming I doubt that it's that. Probably some network show being dumped in the dead of summer.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Still Star Crossed is a pretty good guess. Never would've thought of that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
These blind items could say that a musical comedy over on the ION network is in trouble and some of you would still say it's Inhumans.

Like, I'm with you, but it feels like we're plugging in an answer until we get it right.

Just been reading the synopsis on Still Star Crossed, sounds like an absolute car crash, a straight laced period drama sequel to Romeo and Juliet? It's the sort of thing you'd usually find straight to video in the bargain bin at the petrol station.

It'll definitely be interesting seeing the reactions of people seeing Hamilton-style black actors being inserted into 14th century Italy as nobles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o3Li_K3v2M

I don't even really understand why the producers had to take that weird non immersive route - just put the setting in 13th century Moorish Europe in the courts of Islamic caliphates or earlier in the courts of Babylon or Egypt or Mali or the million other empires where a diverse cast would make sense and people could learn new things about ancient history that is rarely covered in TV/movies.

Joni

90% though Still Star Crossed, that show had to be insanely expensive with it filmed on locations all around Europe. Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp can get away with $120m vacation budget movies, unknown young TV actors cannot.
And with this we learn that Shonda can't either. Not completely anyway.

kmag

Does inhumans have enough episodes in the can to be able to say 'nearly every episode' over budget? I would have thought they're maybe only two or three episodes in by this point.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Does inhumans have enough episodes in the can to be able to say 'nearly every episode' over budget? I would have thought they're maybe only two or three episodes in by this point.

It's not Inhumans. IMAX is covering a large potion of the budget, at least for the first couple episodes that premiere in theaters.

Inhumans and Star Trek are probably out because of timing (and ST not being network/cable).

The leading contenders that fit the criteria seem to be Still Star Crossed, Orville and Midnight, Texas. With SST being so long delayed that seems the odds on favourite.

maxcriden

Dan and Penguin are in a meeting together

Fast-Demo-2017-Apr-27.THU_.png

Also:
TVMoJoe said:
No zombies, no problem: AMC last week had two of the top 5 cable scripted shows among A18-49-- BETTER CALL SAUL (No. 1) & BADLANDS (No. 3)

And in total viewers, AMC is also doing very well, with 3 of 10 most-watched cable scripted originals-- SAUL, BADLANDS and Sat.'s THE SON

kulapik

http://deadline.com/2017/04/roseanne-revival-roseanne-barr-john-goodman-sara-gilbert-1202078883/

One of the biggest comedies of the 1990s, Roseanne, is making a comeback. I hear an eight-episode limited series revival of the hit ABC blue-collar family comedy is in the works with the key cast members reprising their roles, including Roseanne Barr, John Goodman and Sara Gilbert, with Laurie Metcalf and others in the process of joining them.

To know why you shouldn't care, just take a look at Roseanne's Twitter:

http://twitter.com/therealroseanne

vypek

...why? Do people want all these revivals? Maybe I just wasn't as enamored with that show as everyone else. Bailed on the final season.

Only time I think of this show is from Big Bang Theory when someone from Roseanne guest stars. I'm sort of surprised that John Goodman hasn't been on there at least once.

Why would John Goodman have any desire to do this?

Wait, how would that even work? He's dead in the show.

Maybe he isn't dead. Maybe that was just another twist in her story

kulapik

Why would John Goodman have any desire to do this?

Wait, how would that even work? He's dead in the show.

According to the article, Roseanne wrote a blog post a few years ago saying the ideas she had for a new season, one of them was him having faked his death

Zoe

OMG, I grew up on Roseanne and still watch it to this day <3

Wonder if she'll go the route where DJ died in Iraq though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom