• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

vypek

I guess maybe I'm more aware of it now but it feels like a ton more series are coming back. How many of these are successful? I was mildly amused when I realized I didn't see more than a few commercials for Knight Rider after it made its return and it just disappeared

Pachimari

I guess maybe I'm more aware of it now but it feels like a ton more series are coming back. How many of these are successful? I was mildly amused when I realized I didn't see more than a few commercials for Knight Rider after it made its return and it just disappeared
I'm pretty sure there's another Knight Rider show on the way with Hasselhoff producing.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Didn't they already try that only to have it bomb?
Knight Rider (1982 TV series), the original 1980s television series
Knight Rider 2000, a 1991 sequel movie to the 1980s television series
Knight Rider 2010, a 1994 made-for-television movie loosely based on the 1980s series
Team Knight Rider, a 1997 spin-off television series based on the 1980s series
Knight Rider (2008 film), a made-for-television film pilot to the 2008 television series
Knight Rider (2008 TV series), a series following both the 2008 film and the 1980s TV series
I'm sure THIS time it'll be a hit!

Pachimari

Didn't they already try that only to have it bomb?

I believe Pachimari is referencing a 3rd series. Unless you, yourself, mean the 3rd series bombed before it started.

The 2008 series did bomb though
The 2008 one bombed yeah. But it's been a long while since we heard from that other Knight Rider series. They might have dropped it before it even came to be something? Oh, it's supposed to come out on Machinima this year.

Dan and Penguin are in a meeting together

Fast-Demo-2017-Apr-27.THU_.png

Poor Amazing Race, not really a surprise though.
One of the worst seasons in years.

Soulfire

A version of Sliders that don't fall apart three seasons in. That would make me happy, yes. Cool show.

Yes! That would be great.

It won't be the same without John Rhys-Davies and you know it.

You're probably right, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. A total reboot, where the only thing the same is that they slide to parallel earths and we get to see stupid stuff like red means go and green means stop, but also stuff like what if the US was communist or the Nazis won, things like that. Maybe have a Eureka, Warehouse 13, Librarians vibe. I don't know, it was just an idea, I'll leave now, I need to go watch Sliders again.

dLMN8R

I gotta say, this season of Scandal has been fucking fantastic so far. I'm sad it's down in viewers so much from past years (even though it's still doing better than most)

Patryn

i don't know what this is and i'm gunshy about changing the title because everyone keeps owning me because i got the current one wrong

Sounds like it was a superhero show that was also about college life? A sorority girl becomes a vigilante going after rapists and abusers of women and gets a hacker sidekick.

Sepinwall described it as Arrow meets Greek.

Apparently it was also kind of good towards the end?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Sounds like it was a superhero show that was also about college life? A sorority girl becomes a vigilante going after rapists and abusers of women and gets a hacker sidekick.

Sepinwall described it as Arrow meets Greek.

Apparently it was also kind of good towards the end?
So,

2016-17 TV Season Cancellations: One Superhero down, too many to go

?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Didn't Family Matters, like, not even get a real series finale? I remember it turning into the "Urkel versus Stefan" show or something near the end and then it was just kinda over.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Didn't Family Matters, like, not even get a real series finale? I remember it turning into the "Urkel versus Stefan" show or something near the end and then it was just kinda over.

I think it did? I haven't watched the finale episode in probably a good 15 years. I remember Steve was stuck in space or something silly like that. Nobody watched it. CBS snatched Family Matters and Step By Step for their final seasons and made this weird zombie TGIF block.

ZeoVGM

Banned

It did. He goes into space and gets lost. But then he comes back and him and Laura get together.

Or something.

Man, Family Matters went off the fucking rails.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
...that picture...

...l-look, I am a huge, huge fan of genre television... but...

...Carl Winslow, what happened to you...?

vypek

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Orange Is The New Black’: Hacker Says He Stole New Season, Demands Ransom From Netflix

Netflix is facing a cyber nightmare as a hacker claims to have stolen the upcoming fifth season of its popular prison dramedy and is demanding to be paid to keep it off the Internet ahead of its June 9 premiere. The Associated Press reports tonight that a person using the moniker The Dark Lord claims to have uploaded the first Season 5 episode of Orange Is the New Black to an illegal file-sharing service already, though AP said it could not confirm that the file is authentic.

In the ransom note, the hacker claims also to have stolen series from other studios by breaching a single company. The person threatened to release those programs as well if “modest” ransoms are not paid. “We are aware of the situation,” Netflix confirmed to Deadline in a statement. “A production vendor used by several major TV studios had its security compromised and the appropriate law enforcement authorities are involved.” The streaming service told AP it is an “active situation” that the FBI and others are investigating.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Deadline - PILOTS 2017: More Very Early Buzz

(Descriptions of the new pilots)

Fox

Comedy:

Ghosted still going strong; LA->Vegas and Type-A are also well received; Linda From HR and Thin Ice are possibilities.

Drama:

Untitled Marvel project is a sure bet; The Resident is in the running; University project and Behind Enemy Lines both possibilities.

ABC

Comedy:

Single-Dad is gaining momentum; Household Name mentioned; Losing It heating up; Start Up, The Goldbergs spinoff,, Charlie Foxtrot and Raised by Wolves are all in contention; Libby & Malcolm might not make it for being too topical.

Drama:

The Good Doctor is heating up; Shondaland's new legal drama is going strong; Deception is getting attention; Reba's new show and Unit Zero are in serious contention; Las Reinas exceeding expectations.

NBC

Comedy:

The Sackett Sisters is getting attention, as is Champions and Untitled high school comedy; What About Barb? is in the running.

Drama:

Rise and For God and Country are favorites; buzz for Reverie and Good Girls.

CBS

Comedy:

9J, 9K & 9L is going strong; Me, Myself & I and Living Biblically are possibilities.

Drama:

Instinct and S.W.A.T. are being talked about; Perfect Citizen, Untitled SEAL project, and Wisdom of the Crowd are mentioned; The Get is garnering positive early responses.

The CW

Comedy:

Life Sentence is heating up; Insatiable is considered a dark horse because it's so different from anything else on the network.

Drama:

Black Lightning and Dynasty are considered The CW's hottest prospects; Searchers running into speed bumps.

Deadline - PILOTS 2017: Early Pre-Screenings Buzz

Fox

Comedy

Ghosted looks like a lock; LA->Vegas going strong due to the zeitgeisty nature of the premise; Linda From HR and Type-A are in contention; Thin Ice is a long shot.

Drama

Untitled Marvel project still a lock; The Resident is in serious contention; University project divisive, but a contender; Behind Enemy Lines has lost momentum, but can't be counted out yet.

ABC

Comedy

Losing It is faring well; Start Up, Charlie Foxtrot, The Goldbergs spinoff, the City Mayor project, Household Name, and untitled Single Dad are all in the mix; Splitting Up Together is gaining momentum; Raised by Wolves, not so much; Libby & Malcolm and Black-ish spinoff are question marks.

Drama

Deception, The Good Doctor, and Shondaland's new legal drama are getting buzz; The Crossing is getting attention; Las Reinas exceeded expectations; Reba's new show considered a possibility; Unit Zero is cooling down.

NBC

Comedy

Untitled high school comedy, The Sackett Sisters, Spaced Out, and What About Barb? are getting attention; Champions is a possibility; the response to Relatively Happy was encouraging.

Drama

Rise (aka Drama High) and For God and Country continue to be the standouts; Reverie is getting a bit of buzz; Good Girls has some internal support, but is an outlier.

CBS

Comedy

9J, 9K & 9L is still going strong; Brothered Up is faring well; Me, Myself & I has some buzz.

Drama

Instinct and S.W.A.T. have buzz; Perfect Citizen and the SEAL project are in contention; Wisdom of the Crowd is a possibility; Mission Control was mentioned.

The CW

I hear that because all six projects are faring well early on, the network might pick up as many as four or five of them to series with shorter orders if the budget allows

Dynasty continues to be the favorite; Black Lightning and Life Sentence are going strong; Searchers was very well received; Insatiable is a dark horse, but still a possibility; Mark Pedowitz wants a military drama (for some reason?), so Valor looks pretty good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I assume they got into the "critics" version of Netflix that I keep hearing about, because I'm not sure why else you'd put the entire season of a new show up so far in advance.

I'm still a bit bitter over Knight Rider 2008, the backdoor pilot was a boardroom ran mess that wasn't helped by rushing it into production due to the writer's strike with a writer/producer came off annoyingly arrogant, almost as much as the guy who designed the boring pilot version of the car. It sucked but its ratings were still really good so it went to series where they produced to really fuck it up until the last few episodes where they realized how badly they did fuck it up and started fixing it but by then it was way too late. As much as the pilot irritated me the series made me wish it would've stuck closer to it than the over the top poor man's FnF/Transformers/Ford commercial and what they did with the car was stomach churning. It introduced me to Deanna Russo so it wasn't all bad and she and the rest of the cast and crew who didn't have creative control deserved better.

Fuck Gary Scott Thompson and especially NBC who didn't learn their lesson with how they screwed up Bionic Woman. I hope GST is still making money off Fast and the Furious and that's enough to prevent him from writing anything else.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

You know, I can't imagine this hurts Netflix or even the Orange is the New Black premiere that much. If it was something like a whole season of Game of Thrones or American Gods, I could see an issue. But Netflix is so ubiquitous, that I'm sure most people won't want to bother jumping through hoops to see this a little early.

Scary scenario though. Wonder what else they took. And I wonder if Netflix is gonna pay up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom