• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the current season shows on broadcast are finished (S3 of The Flash, S4 SHIELD, etc).

There are a ton of cable series that are currently being written and filmed (like Halt & Catch Fire, Ray Donovan, Queen Sugar, The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, etc. etc. etc.) that are set to premiere this later this year that will be completely fucked by the writer's strike.

Ray fuckin' Donovan? He'll solve this shit lickety-split.

I can write a new season of Ray Donovan in a single sentence: someone brand new comes around to fuck over Ray Donovan, his father, son, three brothers, wife, and sister in law all do incredibly stupid shit that gets Ray into deep trouble, his daughter decides her dad sucks and joins the Russian Mafia who have promised her they are a peaceful protest organization, and Ray has 3 days to fix it all using a baseball bat, a Rolex gold watch, and a whole bunch of blood stained white starched shirts.

Apparently Ray Donovan will premiere Aug 6th at 9pm right after Twin Peaks (which premieres May 21st but will run for 18!! episodes). Also Episodes will be back for its final season on Aug 20th, 29 months (!!) after the last season finale. I guess Matt LeBlanc has been super busy with Top Gear and Man with a Plan.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It seems there's been some progress. Outcome still murky.

UPDATED, 8:33 PM: They are almost certain to take it down to the wire and no one is counting out a strike yet, but there is ”progress" in tonight's WGA and AMPTP talks, we hear.

According to sources on both sides, the past few hours has seen some positive movement on a variety of the core issues between the scribes and the producers, including a possible agreement on funding WGA's health plan. ”We know everyone is waiting for a clear sign, but there is still a long way to go," one insider close to the studios told Deadline.

”This is going right until midnight," promised a scribe, spurning the notion that there could be an extension of the talks. However, others say an extension still could happen in what a further source termed ”a fluid but intense" night of negotiations still to come as talks have now focused on non-health plan issues we hear. Sources we spoke tonight sounded hopeful that a deal could be reached but cautioned that it still may fall apart.

Whatever the outcome, check back with Deadline for the latest updates on Tinseltown's labor brinkmanship.

edzyy

Neo Member
Fox has done the inevitable, officially canceling drama Pitch after one season. The move fully was expected — in anticipation of the cancellation, the show released all of its writers two weeks ago. The show’s cast and producers, including creator/executive producer Dan Fogelman and exec producer Kevin Falls, were informed of the network’s decision today. Falls and co-star Dan Lauria posted messages about the cancellation on social media.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/pitch-canceled-fox-one-season-1202081028/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I can write a new season of Ray Donovan in a single sentence: someone brand new comes around to fuck over Ray Donovan, his father, son, three brothers, wife, and sister in law all do incredibly stupid shit that gets Ray into deep trouble, his daughter decides her dad sucks and joins the Russian Mafia who have promised her they are a peaceful protest organization, and Ray has 3 days to fix it all using a baseball bat, a Rolex gold watch, and a whole bunch of blood stained white starched shirts.

You kinda just sold me on Ray Donovan you know :3

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Dominic Patten‏ Verified account @DeadlineDominic 2m2 minutes ago

#wgaunity - the contract has officially expired but #WGA & #AMPTP still at the table, which could be a good sign

Hmm. This is intense.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Dang, Pitch is cancelled? I wanted the lead character to make a heavily promoted comeback, then load the bases on 12 pitches while Bob Uecker makes snarky comments in the announcers booth. "Juuuuust a bit outside, I can't believe the batters aren't taking swings!"

ZeroX03

Banned
Deadline: DEAL!! WGA Strike Averted As Sides Agree On Tentative Film & TV Contract

C-zoNc_XoAABNWK.jpg:large

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Peak TV Renewed...until 2027 when they have to fight over hologram residuals.

Aiii

So not worth it
Not sure if I should be happy or sad. I have so much stuff to catch up on, I could've used a break.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I went ahead and made a separate thread for the folks who don't follow this one on the regular. I hope no one minds.

Great news, though.

Pixieking

Banned
Thank god for that... I'm not sure if American Gods is fully written and filmed, but it would've sucked for Bryan Fuller to have a strike occur during AG, since Pushing Daisies got screwed over by the last strike.

xrnzaaas

So....what are the chance of Modern Family getting renewed?

Probably depends on how the negotations will play out with the main cast, because it's on a major decline since about season 7. It's not a show where you can kill off someone or find some other reason to drop a few characters to save money. Maybe they can start rotating characters more just like Parenthood did in its final season.

Pachimari

Pitch has struck out.

Beaten by mere seconds, but mine has the obvious joke.
I haven't started on Pitch yet but this is really unfortunate, especially if it ended on a cliffhanger. Damn.

I've also dropped all the DC CW shows, or maybe I can catch up on them during the summer, but I've decided to instead catch up and watch American Gods, The Americans, The Handmaid's Tale, Guerrilla, Fargo and Twin Peaks.

Aiii

So not worth it
I am the one that took Pitch into some woodland at night and shot it in the back of the head, so yes.

Made it dig it's own grave.

Buried it right next to The Grinder.

You sadist.

I bet you watch and enjoy Taken, too.

Hm....I'm vaguely remembering a TV show from my childhood with another car that transformed. I think it was a convertible and one of the forms was bulletproof. Can't remember the name though. It was so silly

Edit: Wait, I think the show was Viper

Yup, I remember watching that show as a kid and really wanting a Viper. Wasn't there another similar show that had a collection of cars?

Also, there was the one with Hulk Hogan and the transforming boat; Thunder in Paradise I think it was called.

TV really loved it's transforming vehicles in the late 80's & 90's.

Linkura

Yooo Fox, looks like you made some decisions this week. How about letting us know if Exorcist is renewed? I don't have much hope, but stop leaving us hanging. :(

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Are people really surprised by Pitch's cancellation? The writing was on the wall the moment the ratings came in for the premiere.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
American Godz on Starz premiered to 975K linear viewers, which is very solid.

Over three plays on April 30, American Gods drew 1.4 million viewers.

That's better than Power's Season 1 debut's total play viewership, but just behind the 1.47 million that Outlander had over all its plays on its opening Saturday night nearly three years ago. There is a caveat to that comparison as well – both Power and Outlander had four plays total on their series debut night, while the FremantleMedia produced American Gods had three on Sunday.

via Dealine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom