• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adalian for NY Mag: You Might Soon Be Able to Watch House of Cards Without a Netflix Subscription
Netflix may soon no longer be the only place to watch House of Cards in America. Sony Pictures Television, which controls the global distribution rights to the Kevin Spacey political thriller, has started approaching cable and broadcast networks to gauge their interest in acquiring reruns of past seasons of the show. No word yet on how much Sony wants for the Cards rerun, but it’s understood episodes would be available to air later this year. If the idea of a Netflix show popping up on an old-school linear channel seems odd, well, it is — at least in the U.S. To date, none of the streaming giant’s English-language original series have aired in America via a linear network outside the Netflix ecosystem: You need a Netflix subscription to (legally) watch Netflix shows. A Cards sale to, say, Fox or USA Network, would thus be a significant milestone. But don’t expect it to become a trend.
More via the link.

berzeli

Banned
‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Renewed For Season 2 By Hulu
Hulu said at its NYC upfront today that it has picked up a second season of its praised original drama series The Handmaid’s Tale starring Elisabeth Moss for premiere in 2018.
“The response we’ve seen to The Handmaid’s Tale in just one week since its premiere has been absolutely incredible,” said SVP and Head of Content Craig Erwich. “It has been an honor to work with this talented team of cast and creators to develop a series that has struck such a chord with audiences across the country. As we continue to expand our strong slate of original programming, The Handmaid’s Tale is exactly the type of gripping and thought-provoking storytelling we want to bring to viewers. We can’t wait to explore the world of Gilead and continue Margaret’s vision with another season on Hulu.”
Praise be.

Pachimari

That is freaking great. I loved the pilot of The Handmaid's Tale and can't wait to watch the next two episodes. But I gotta catch up with Fargo and Twin Peaks first. And I love that Runaways have been picked up to series.

When is Fox and ABC gonna have their upfronts?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That is freaking great. I loved the pilot of The Handmaid's Tale and can't wait to watch the next two episodes. But I gotta catch up with Fargo and Twin Peaks first. And I love that Runaways have been picked up to series.

When is Fox and ABC gonna have their upfronts?

UPFRONTS SCHEDULE!

May 15 (morning): NBC
May 15 (afternoon): Fox
May 16 (morning): ESPN
May 16 (late morning): Univision
May 16 (afternoon): ABC
May 17 (morning): Turner
May 17 (afternoon): CBS
May 18 (morning): The CW
May 18 (afternoon): NBC Universal Cable

ZeroX03

Banned
CW's Monday just collapsed after this last break, damn.

I have completely given up on it with it continuous decline.
Not only is it the worst comic show currently on, it isn't even in the ballpark of Lois & Clark or Smallville even.

I feel like nobody remembers how bad that show actually was. The current lineup of comic book shows are still far ahead of that mess.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
oh, and the Hulu upfront is going on right now

and look what was picked up! http://deadline.com/2017/05/marvels-runaways-the-first-hulu-series-orders-upfront-1202082303/

Hulu Orders ‘Marvel's Runaways' & Beau Willimon's ‘The First' To Series

Hulu has picked up a pair of dramas to series: Marvel's Runaways, from Gossip Girl creators Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, and The First (working title), about the first human mission to Mars, which was created and written by House Of Cards creator Beau Willimon. Marvel's Runaways was originally ordered to pilot with backup scripts, while The First is a straight-to-series order.

#pray4stump

The First sounds neat, IMO

[edit] Let's get some Tuesday ratings in here: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-tuesday-network-scorecard-5-2-2017.html

Fast-Demo-2017-May-02.TUE_.png

Great News doesn't look ... well, you know.

Penguin

Great News, we got some bad news for ya!

AoS is steady from the increase after adjustments last week. Curious to see what The Flash reveal does for the show next week.

It's been a while and still am completely baffled by the move of Brooklyn 99 to Tuesday. Killed any fanbase the show had

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So Shield not doing so good? Guess it depends on if they cancel that and just go with The Inhumans, or if they wait too see how it does, first.

I feel like nobody remembers how bad that show actually was. The current lineup of comic book shows are still far ahead of that mess.
Smallville at least initially was aimed differently so the faults weren't as in your face.
It got terrible for a while and really dragged by the end but the show was just different imo.
I'd kinda put Gotham in that column even with it being my favorite hero show of all.
Agents of Shield as well.

However majority of the time Arrow, Flash and Legends are live action comics/cartoons.
Meanwhile Supergirl doesn't know what the hell it is and its just a mess of Lois & Clark romance angle, Smallville's halfassed nature
and hardly anything on Flash or Arrow's cape antics.

I swear it feels like Supergirl shit is less than 5% of an episode, while romance is 85% and DEO is 10%

On the other had Lois & Clark had so little Superman but was absolutely great because Lois, Clark, Perry, etc were legitimate characters.

Joni

So Shield not doing so good? Guess it depends on if they cancel that and just go with The Inhumans, or if they wait too see how it does, first.
If we look at the ratings, a cancellation is the logical choice. It has the advantage of cross promotion, being owned by ABC and good DVR ratings.

ZeoVGM

Banned
CW's Monday just collapsed after this last break, damn.

Nah, it wasn't all bad. Seasons 1-3 were fun, specifically 2 and 3.

4 was bad with the whole "evil witch possesses Lana" nonsense.

5 felt like a breath of fresh air and is one of the best seasons while the quality of season 6 was all over the place. Season 7 was terrible and legitimately the worst season of the show.

8 kind of "saved" the show like season 5 did, despite the lame ending to the Doomsday arc. Season 9 is probably the best in the series. I'd say that season would stand up against today's CW comic shows. Zod was awesome.

10 was a good ending to the show but they didn't do nearly as good of a job with Darkseid as they did with Zod. Some really good episodes though.

On May 21, HBO and Amazon's streaming deal will come to an end - every HBO series will be pulled from Amazon Prime Instant Video and will thereafter only be available on HBO Now/Go/etc.
Update on this:

- NY Mag: All HBO Shows Are Leaving Amazon Prime in 2018
Amazon Prime subscribers who've been using the service to binge older HBO series such as The Sopranos, Flight of the Concords, and Six Feet Under, take heed: A sudden departure is in the works. Richard Plepler, the network's chairman and CEO, told investors today HBO has no plans to renew its output deal with Amazon Prime when it wraps up in May 2018. The move comes a week after Amazon started noting on its site that a number of big HBO shows would be leaving the service later this month, but then quickly backtracked and told Vulture a technical error was behind the messaging. ”HBO titles are not coming off the service and will remain on Prime Video," an Amazon Studios spokeswoman told us last week. But it turns out that while the HBO shows are safe on Amazon for now, they won't be sticking around long — and the decision isn't all that surprising. As with most such streaming shake-ups, ever-shifting strategic goals explain why the HBO shows are leaving.

Kevin

ABC should renew Agents of SHIELD with a final full 5th season and announce it as wrapping up the story/show. 5 seasons looks good for a box set too and will get the show to over the 100 episode mark.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That mass exodus once the Voice turned off, and how the network reclaimed 3 million viewers once Chicago Fire came on. I think this is one of the most dramatic swings in viewers Ive seen in my few months following this thread.

It's similar to ABC Sundays last season, in which Blood & Oil was sandwiched between Once Upon a Time and Quantico. OUAT viewers by the millions actively fled the network during that hour, then piled back in for Quantico. Every week. It was comical.

Smallville at least initially was aimed differently so the faults weren't as in your face.
It got terrible for a while and really dragged by the end but the show was just different imo.
I'd kinda put Gotham in that column even with it being my favorite hero show of all.
Agents of Shield as well.

However majority of the time Arrow, Flash and Legends are live action comics/cartoons.
Meanwhile Supergirl doesn't know what the hell it is and its just a mess of Lois & Clark romance angle, Smallville's halfassed nature
and hardly anything on Flash or Arrow's cape antics.

I swear it feels like Supergirl shit is less than 5% of an episode, while romance is 85% and DEO is 10%

On the other had Lois & Clark had so little Superman but was absolutely great because Lois, Clark, Perry, etc were legitimate characters.
Smallville had an interesting premise. Superboy/7th Heaven. Family drama with superheroics.

L&C was terrible.

Characters were as paperthin as they are on Supergirl, and Supergirl has no big reveal that Lois is a clone by eating a frog.

My God that show was terrible.

Supergirl is it's own mess, but I definitely give it the edge over L&C.

Did give me a lasting crush on Teri Hatcher though.

- NY Mag: The Future of Seeso, NBC’s Comedy Streaming Service, Is in Question
Does NBC see a future for Seeso? It doesn’t necessarily seem so. Vulture has learned that Evan Shapiro, head of NBCUniversal’s all-comedy streaming service, is leaving the company this week. Seeso, for the foreseeable future, will be run by Maggie Suniewick, president of NBCU digital enterprises, instead of operating semi-independently. (Shapiro had been reporting to Suniewick since October.) A source with knowledge of the situation says it is business as usual over at Seeso and that the moves won’t effect 2017: New programming will still premiere through the end of this year, productions aren’t shutting down, and the company is still signing up new subscribers. Moreover, Seeso recently unveiled summer premiere dates for a number of shows and premiered the pilot for new a series, There’s … Johnny, at the Tribeca Film Festival.

But beyond the near term, the future of Seeso is decidedly unclear. Multiple sources indicate the service is, for all intents and purposes, on its way out. Already, agents and managers Vulture spoke with say they’re now having a hard time getting people at Seeso to return calls. For now, NBCU is only confirming Shapiro’s departure.
More via the link.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
^
I feel like the only major appeal of VRV is getting a Funimation and Crunchyroll subscription under one roof.

Better watch old HBO shows now before they're paywalled forever I guess.

I hate the post cable world, as why do we need all these streaming services and/or companies hoarding stuff on their own service, and people who are proponents for streaming seem to love paying so much, collectively there must be people who are paying more than they were when they had cable.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I hate the post cable world, as why do we need all these streaming services and/or companies hoarding stuff on their own service, and people who are proponents for streaming seem to love paying so much, collectively there must be people who are paying more than they were when they had cable.

I love streaming over cable, but I wish I could have an all-in-one platform. Contracts, money etc. are mucking it up. Anime is being a pain too (Sentai shows going to Anime Network instead of Crunchyroll).

As someone with Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll (and well, Prime) it can add up. Then things like HBO have to go exclusive again.

This is how it was always going to turn out and why I've never understood why people acted like streaming was going to be some big revolution.

Zero315

Banned
This is how it was always going to turn out and why I've never understood why people acted like streaming was going to be some big revolution.
In theory, paying only for the channels you want and cutting out the chaff is a good idea. However the reality of how these services were always going to be priced meant that it would never be a viable alternative. I remember people saying these services were going to cost like $2-$5 a month and me laughing my ass off.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I love streaming over cable, but I wish I could have an all-in-one platform. Contracts, money etc. are mucking it up. Anime is being a pain too (Sentai shows going to Anime Network instead of Crunchyroll).

As someone with Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll (and well, Prime) it can add up. Then things like HBO have to go exclusive again.

I've said it before, but I'm at the point where the cost isn't the issue. It's that I don't have time to watch the things I want on the services I have. So why would I add more? Even if it's only $2, I'm not going to bother cause I know I don't have time to use it.

I think they need to do more add-on style services, like what Amazon and Hulu did with Showtime and Starz. Honestly, a lot of the appeal for me is being able to just start up one app and watch there. I'm probably more likely to try something if it's just a small added cost on an app I know I'll use, as opposed to a new login on a new app.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Ahh, there it is.

- NY Mag: The Future of Seeso, NBC’s Comedy Streaming Service, Is in QuestionMore via the link.

Multiple sources indicate the service is, for all intents and purposes, on its way out. Already, agents and managers Vulture spoke with say they’re now having a hard time getting people at Seeso to return calls.

RIP Seeso #AnotherOneBitesTheDust

ZeroX03

Banned

Good. Kill Seeso, license the programming internationally on Netflix. I probably would've liked the service but I can't damn well access it can I.

Smallville at least had interesting season-long arcs mixed in with their freak of the weeks.

No, it didn't. Go back and watch. Flash's Savitar is amazing in comparison to some of Smallville's stuff.

The first three seasons, 90% of the episodes are pointless freak of the week filler. And unlike the modern stuff they don't even tie into the comics.

Thank god these stupid one off streaming sites are maybe finally starting to shut down, every week it seems a new one pops up as an advertiser on podcasts and I thought I was starting to be the lone weird guy who doesn't want to watch new shows on shit like Go90, SeeSo, Veoh, and whatever other 5-8 letter mashup you can string together.

You know what you should do? Put your goddamn show on Youtube, make the first few episodes free, and charge for the rest. Also put it up on Amazon and iTunes i guess. Stop making a new streaming site, no ones got time or phone app storage space for that shit anymore. I guess there's no way to fight the major networks from trying to make Hulu still a thing, but at least focus all your efforts on that one thing instead of creating a thousand headed streaming hydra.

And yes, that includes you too CBS All Access, you aren't going to get millions of people to pay a monthly fee for some random new Star Trek show.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
And yes, that includes you too CBS All Access, you aren't going to get millions of people to pay a monthly fee for some random new Star Trek show.
You have no idea how happy I am that ST will be airing on Space (Canada's version of Syfy) here.

ZeroX03

Banned
Keep CBS All Access long enough for The Good Fight and Star Trek to gain traction then move it to Netflix. Then again, in many territories the latter is already there.

I mean CBS actually has more than enough content for a streaming service, it's just their demographic will never use one.

JdFoX187

Banned
Nah, it wasn't all bad. Seasons 1-3 were fun, specifically 2 and 3.

4 was bad with the whole "evil witch possesses Lana" nonsense.

5 felt like a breath of fresh air and is one of the best seasons while the quality of season 6 was all over the place. Season 7 was terrible and legitimately the worst season of the show.

8 kind of "saved" the show like season 5 did, despite the lame ending to the Doomsday arc. Season 9 is probably the best in the series. I'd say that season would stand up against today's CW comic shows. Zod was awesome.

10 was a good ending to the show but they didn't do nearly as good of a job with Darkseid as they did with Zod. Some really good episodes though.

Season 5 was the one filled with the drama over Lana and Lex getting married and the fake baby , right? That was a bad fucking season. Smallville was at its worst when it was trying to play up the drama between Lana and Clark. That relationship should have ended at graduation.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Season 5 was the one filled with the drama over Lana and Lex getting married and the fake baby , right? That was a bad fucking season. Smallville was at its worst when it was trying to play up the drama between Lana and Clark. That relationship should have ended at graduation.

Nah, that's 6, the one I mentioned was all over the place.

5 started with Clark losing his powers and Braniac being introduced as a recurring villain. It had Clark and Lex's friendship finally fall apart a bit in a pretty great scene with Clark legit punching Lex in the face. It also included two of the best episodes in the series, "Lexmas" and "Reckoning," the episode where Pa Kent dies.

berzeli

Banned
Seeso getting the axe won't be that surprising, you don't launch a streaming service in that state. HBO Nordic did the same thing (+stupid pricepoint), it took them well over a year, many expensive fixes, and some pretty decent incentives to start building a subscriber base.
Comedy is also a niche that is catered to (Comedy Central), which doesn't really help.

We're not witnessing the end of streaming services, or the start of some mass consolidation. We're witnessing the imminent death of a poorly run service with an unclear target audience.

And don't put shit on youtube. Their video compression is a hate crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom