• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The movie stands alone as a complete execution of its concept (notwithstanding the screenwriter's assertion about wanting to bring more of its lore and
f7qmiBh.jpg
to light); moreover, this kind of high octane thriller does not typically perform well on television, either creatively or financially. Colour me unimpressed.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Fox News falls into 3rd place in primetime ratings for the first time in nearly 17 years

Business Insider said:
Adweek reported that last week was the first time that Fox finished third among cable-news networks in the coveted demo since June 2000, when the right-leaning network was still in its infancy.

According to Nielsen, MSNBC led the three cable networks between 8-11 p.m., averaging 611,000 viewers between the ages of 25 and 54, while dominating with 2,440,000 viewers overall.

CNN came in second with 589,000 in the coveted demographic, while remaining in third in total viewers with 1,649,000. Fox slid to to third with 497,000 viewers in the demo, and 2,405,000 overall.

Fox News gonna get canceled

I know this is your gimmick and you should be ignored, but do you not understand how subscription TV works at all? Literally a couple of posts before yours they say this was their biggest weekend for signups ever.

That's an almost meaningless metric without hard numbers. If Showtime had anything really positive to report about the initial numbers they wouldn't be hyping up stats like this and Twitter impressions.

Linkura

About 500k and a 0.2 for Twin Peaks. Seems kinda low, but will get a big time shifted boost. Details at the usual spots but I don't have time to link on my phone.

Ouchie. Personally, I'm waiting until all the episodes are released and then doing a free trial on Amazon to watch it. I'd imagine some are doing the same, though perhaps not enough to seriously affect the numbers.

Patryn

Ouchie. Personally, I'm waiting until all the episodes are released and then doing a free trial on Amazon to watch it. I'd imagine some are doing the same, though perhaps not enough to seriously affect the numbers.

Ratings don't really matter if it drove sign-ups, which apparently it did.

kevin1025

Banned
Why are they filming the third one before the second?!?

Unless I read wrong! It says: "Part of the project was filmed at the villa, which today features a restaurant and suites". It was meant to be season three, and that Katrina, which was meant to be season two, is in pre-production. Unless they're flipping them all of a sudden!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I get it, but one heck of a phrase

I like to challenge my readers :^)

About 500k and a 0.2 for Twin Peaks. Seems kinda low, but will get a big time shifted boost. Details at the usual spots but I don't have time to link on my phone.

Wow, Showtime really can't catch a break. 506K live viewers is outright embarrassing for a show as expensive and wildly anticipated as Twin Peaks. I mean, sure, it spurred record subscriptions, but the 1.1 million it earned cumulatively for the night including replays and steaming is still pretty paltry (unless literally all of that is from brand new subscriptions, in which case I guess that's p. impressive).

I hope for their sake that it's one of those shows that is heavily time shifted.

Yep ratsky and they've got a whole summer of airing it to look forward to. It was super close to getting a 0.1 demo (since its actual ratings were a .15). I was thinking it would premiere to at least a 0.4. I can't believe that American Gods (up since midnight on the various Starz apps) and The Leftovers both walloped it.

If I worked in Showtime PR I would just cite its impressive timeslot growth over the acclaimed miniseries Guerrilla.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yep ratsky and they've got a whole summer of airing it to look forward to. It was super close to getting a 0.1 demo (since its actual ratings were a .15). I was thinking it would premiere to at least a 0.4. I can't believe that American Gods (up since midnight on the various Starz apps) and The Leftovers both walloped it.

If I worked in Showtime PR I would just cite its impressive timeslot growth over the acclaimed miniseries Guerrilla.

I don't see I'm Dying Up Here lighting the world on fire either. At least they've still got Ray Donovan? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Although, Showtime's audience clearly loves their derivative edgy antihero shit (Ray Donovan is one of their bigger shows, after all), so maybe #IDUH will be a success?

Stewart's animated news series at HBO has been canned.
“HBO and Jon Stewart have decided not to proceed with a short form digital animated project,” the parties said in a joint statement tonight. “We all thought the project had great potential, but there were technical issues in terms of production and distribution that proved too difficult given the quick turnaround and topical nature of the material. We’re excited to report that we have some future projects together which you will be hearing about in the near future.”

The project, which initially was eyed to roll out before the November presidential election, was to be an Onion-like sendup of a cable news network. The animation was to be done in a way that “allows [Stewart] to comment on events in real time,” HBO’s programming chief Casey Bloys said at TCA last summer. Stewart was set to do the voices.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Huh, so Netflix picked up an NHK show about the Japanese equivalent of the Nuremberg trials. I'm kind of sad I missed it when it came out originally.

xrnzaaas

Twin Peaks flopping is pretty surprising. You'd think that the show would have a pretty big fanbase and that some people would tune in out of curiosity after hearing all the buzz about the show coming back.

vypek

What do you guys in the UK call a group of series? At least in the US its seasons that comprise a series. Do series comprise a series there?

Kalor

What do you guys in the UK call a group of series? At least in the US its seasons that comprise a series. Do series comprise a series there?

Normally I've heard people say seasons when talking about multiple. I can't imagine someone saying series for that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Man, the thread is already in Summer mode. Here's Monday and Tuesday:

Final-Bcast-2017-May-22.MON_.png

Fast-Demo-2017-May-23.TUE_.png

If it wasn't for that half hour of Dancing with the Stars, the CW would have won its timeslot in the demo.

berzeli

Banned
They had lost all Gallaghers except for Frank by the end, the UK series ran 5 years too long.
Preview of what will happen to Showtime in a couple of years time.
Normally I've heard people say seasons when talking about multiple. I can't imagine someone saying series for that.
It has become more interchangeable as of late, but it's mainly for the reason that British TV isn't as strictly seasonal as US TV (but then again that's not really true for American TV these days).
See: The British Series vs The American Season
In the Nordics it's common for a second batch of episodes to be referred as a numbered sequel; i.e.
wvWjjGz.jpg
gJaBULx.jpg
RdyDNF9.jpg

But also as you might be able to make out on those covers it is also referred to as season (säsong) 1, season 2, season 3, etc.

vypek

It has become more interchangeable as of late, but it's mainly for the reason that British TV isn't as strictly seasonal as US TV (but then again that's not really true for American TV these days).
See: The British Series vs The American Season
In the Nordics it's common for a second batch of episodes to be referred as a numbered sequel; i.e.
wvWjjGz.jpg
gJaBULx.jpg
RdyDNF9.jpg

But also as you might be able to make out on those covers it is also referred to as season (säsong) 1, season 2, season 3, etc.

Thats pretty interesting. Especially the numbered sequels portion.

Twin Peaks flopping is pretty surprising. You'd think that the show would have a pretty big fanbase and that some people would tune in out of curiosity after hearing all the buzz about the show coming back.

I may be in the minority here but I tried getting into Twin Peaks a couple months ago and completely fell off. I consistently here good things about it, but I only made it through the first ~5 episodes I think. I can imagine how it was popular and ground breaking when it came out, but it seemed really dated to me.

I feel like the S3 would only appeal to those who are big on the original series rather than attracting new faces.

Chitown B

it's not flopping. people are watching on the app because it was the only place the first 4 eps were.

I may be in the minority here but I tried getting into Twin Peaks a couple months ago and completely fell off. I consistently here good things about it, but I only made it through the first ~5 episodes I think. I can imagine how it was popular and ground breaking when it came out, but it seemed really dated to me.

I feel like the S3 would only appeal to those who are big on the original series rather than attracting new faces.

It is dated. But the new series is not. It's very Lynch.

KonradLaw

That's really a shame because this season was great, and the broadcast format was perfect for it.

Thankfully we're getting S4 no matter what.

Yeah. Really happy they gave them two seasons to wrap this up. It's the best thing SyFy has done since Farscape. It deserves chance to complete it's story.

it's not flopping. people are watching on the app because it was the only place the first 4 eps were.

Why the spin? Compared to expectations it's almost certainly flopping. There is no way Showtime is thrilled to have a bunch of "Twin Peaks premieres soft" articles out there. I'm one of the biggest pessimists in all of TV-Gaf and I about fell out of my chair when I saw the ratings.

I can't even imagine what the numbers will look like as we get deeper into the summer.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Pretty much. Nielsen numbers are going to continue getting less and less important, especially for networks like Showtime. It's happening at a pretty rapid rate now.

A couple good reads:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/twin-peaks-ratings-werent-good-who-cares.html

http://uproxx.com/tv/twin-peaks-ratings-showtime-premiere/

Showtime is likely happy with the reaction so far.

I got to early S2 and dropped off.
I just found it incredibly boring and Cooper was the only thing I liked.

Must have tried 5 or 6 times to pick it up before the return and I just couldn't get in to it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I wouldn't assume there's a big fanbase. I would assume most of the show's fanbase are people who read and write TV blogs. The bubble is nice, and the people in it have good taste, but there's no need to project beyond that. For what it's worth, literally no one watched Mad Men; its popularity was entirely a phenomenon of well-connected literate educated people talking incessantly about it while ordinary humans never bothered. Its finale, the most-watched episode ever, got a 1.1 in the demo and 3 million overall viewers. Average ratings were around a 0.4/0.5 for most of the show's run, sometimes less. But if you just took an impression based on criticial buzz and awards and bloggers, it would seem to be one of the biggest shows on TV.

Note that the most logical extrapolation from this would be "wait, why revive a 25 year old series that was impenetrable the first time around if no one cares?" and I don't have an answer to that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom