• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I wouldn't assume there's a big fanbase. I would assume most of the show's fanbase are people who read and write TV blogs. The bubble is nice, and the people in it have good taste, but there's no need to project beyond that. For what it's worth, literally no one watched Mad Men; its popularity was entirely a phenomenon of well-connected literate educated people talking incessantly about it while ordinary humans never bothered. Its finale, the most-watched episode ever, got a 1.1 in the demo and 3 million overall viewers. Average ratings were around a 0.4/0.5 for most of the show's run, sometimes less. But if you just took an impression based on criticial buzz and awards and bloggers, it would seem to be one of the biggest shows on TV.

Note that the most logical extrapolation from this would be "wait, why revive a 25 year old series that was impenetrable the first time around if no one cares?" and I don't have an answer to that either.

That is almost certainly what it is. These are shows for writers.

I think it's still a win for Showtime. What do they care if people are still signing up? I started my Showtime subscription for Penny Dreadful but that lead to me getting back into Homeland, which I now still subscribe for. Come for one thing, hope they stay for the rest.

Aiii

So not worth it
Likely not.

Why not, it has influental producers in Marvel, it has a big budget, it is ambitious in that they partly shot it in IMAX for some reason and it is made by literally the worst showrunner in recent history. It is really either Inhumans or Still Star-Crossed. And I can easily see Inhumans in that description more than SSC.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Why not, it has influental producers in Marvel, it has a big budget, it is ambitious in that they partly shot it in IMAX for some reason and it is made by literally the worst showrunner in recent history. It is really either Inhumans or Still Star-Crossed. And I can easily see Inhumans in that description more than SSC.

TVLine said:
Making matters worse, this small-screen Ishtar was, by all accounts, a costly disaster, with most episodes coming in way, way, way, way, way over budget.

This makes it sound as if the majority of the series was already filmed. The article came out in late-April while I believe Inhumans started filming in mid-March.

And IMAX paid for the first two episodes, which helped with the cost.

Hollywood Reporter said:
Sources say Imax is paying for the first two episodes (ABC won't reveal the budget; the show hasn't begun casting), offsetting the hefty costs associated with the pilot and helping to make the deal more attractive to producers ABC Studios and Marvel Television.

I could be wrong but I don't see how TVLine's description fits Inhumans given the deal with IMAX and the filming schedule.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I think Tokyo Trial is worth watching if you're at all interested in the Nuremberg process inasmuch as it actually questions both the moral and legal basis for trying the leadership of a country that has lost the war. You can't really do that in a miniseries about Nuremberg, but you can do that in this series because Japanese atrocities are not as "taboo".

I'm curious to see how this series went over in Japan, since in part, it somewhat absolves Japan of the guilt of WW2 war crimes by showing how the entire trial motivated by politics and not legal justice.

(It also does the "Forrest Gump" thing of mixing footage of the actual trial of Japanese military/political officials with the recreations by the actors).

(Oh right, funny enough, Michael Ironside was in this as MacArthur... coincidentally, he was also in the Nuremberg miniseries that starred Alec Baldwin).

rtcn63

I may be in the minority here but I tried getting into Twin Peaks a couple months ago and completely fell off. I consistently here good things about it, but I only made it through the first ~5 episodes I think. I can imagine how it was popular and ground breaking when it came out, but it seemed really dated to me.

I feel like the S3 would only appeal to those who are big on the original series rather than attracting new faces.

Without the nostalgia, Twin Peaks is one of those shows that you get why people like it, but there may just not be enough substance for you personally. Couldn't get into it after a few tries either.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sounds like Netflix and Sony wanted more and it had more to do with Luhrmann. Especially considering that Netflix will usually renew everything for at least a second season.

In an interview with Vulture earlier this spring, Luhrmann had indicated that a second season is in the works. “To be honest, we have already developed the opening of the next season,” he said. “Sony and Netflix have been very driven about having a second season. There has been no question about that. They really want it.”

In a Facebook post following the cancellation, Luhrmann indicated that him not being able to commit to Season 2 full-time was a key reason for the cancellation. “This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show. It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions… But the simple truth is, I make movies.”​

hydruxo

The Crown is actually their most expensive show. $130 million for 10 episodes of The Crown vs. $120 million for 12 of The Get Down.

It was actually closer to $190 million. $120 million was what they initially thought it would cost.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/the-get-down-costs-rise-netlfix-baz-luhrmann-1201837874/amp/

The Get Down was expected to be an expensive proposition from the get-go and Netflix knew it. The series from Academy Award-winning husband-wife team of Baz Luhrmann and Catherine Martin, Pulitzer-winning playwright Stephen Adly Guirgis, hip-hop historian Nelson George and iconic rappers MC Nas and Grandmaster Flash was expected to cost around $11 million per episode for 12 episodes, which all-in would have totaled about $120M.

However, Deadline has learned that given the way the deal is constructed, Netflix is paying more like $16M per episode — inclusive in the total is worldwide rights to the IP, and factored into that are the premiums that Netflix paid to acquire those rights exclusively.

Other costs include start-up, visual effects, music rights and production design. Of the $16 million, around $11 million was the final production expenses per episode, $3 million-$4 million over the initial budget following a string of filming shutdowns, staffing changes and script rewrites. When a TV drama is produced for $6M or higher an episode, it is considered expensive.

So adding in all the costs on The Get Down, including the worldwide rights and premiums, that brings the total for the 12-episode season closer to the $190M-plus range. They are not completely wrapped yet either.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yeah the leads looked like they were casted from people that get turned down for Hallmark Channel original movies
I actually watched it and it was horrible. The only highlight was Sarah Hyland. Every other actor was worse than the original. The dancing wasn't good and the ending, oh god the ending was horrible.

Slayven

I actually watched it and it was horrible. The only highlight was Sarah Hyland. Every other actor was worse than the original. The dancing wasn't good and the ending, oh god the ending was horrible.

I only turned it on for a few minutes, the guy looked like bad greaser cosplay

xrnzaaas

And why get Abigail Breslin to star? Don't they know she has a face that those in the business call a channel changer?

You just have to look down. ;)

Any update on Outcast airing in the US? Would be nice to have a few people to discuss the show with.

It's not out yet in the States? Damn, Cinemax really wants to dump this show.

I've watched a couple of episodes and dropped it. The story is moving far too slowly for me and the show feels like it's stuck right after the events of season one. Maybe it's changed in the new episodes, I don't know, don't have that much time to wait and see if it improves. ;)

berzeli

Banned
I wanted this to be good. I really did.
The Crown is actually their most expensive show. $130 million for 10 episodes of The Crown vs. $120 million for 12 of The Get Down.

Nope, the $130 million for The Crown includes season 2!
And also:
It was actually closer to $190 million. $120 million was what they initially thought it would cost.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/the-get-down-costs-rise-netlfix-baz-luhrmann-1201837874/amp/

The Get Down was so expensive and mismanaged it should have been an HBO show!

berzeli

Banned
I don't have a better source but Peter Morgan got miffed when a Swedish newspaper talked to him about the $100+ millions:
Morgan skakar lätt frustrerad på huvudet och menar att summan gäller för de första två säsongerna. Trots budgeten har Morgan ändå fått ge avkall på vissa saker.
Morgan slightly frustrated shakes his head and says that the sum is for the first two seasons. Despite the budget Morgan has had to sacrfice certain things

edit: THR agrees with me
Netflix's The Crown has been widely called the most expensive show ever made, with a rumored $156 million budget for two seasons of the drama about the British royal family.

But speaking to The Hollywood Reporter after a special screening of The Crown at New York's Museum of Modern Art last month, creator Peter Morgan quickly shot down that "most expensive show ever made" distinction.

"Not at all," Morgan said when confronted with the budget gossip. "It's not. There's sums of money that people talk about. I don't know. It was $100 million for two seasons."

The $100 million figure is also reportedly the same as the budget for House of Cards' first two seasons.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Fast-Demo-2017-May-24.WED_.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom